Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NJ Bad Tenant List?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

So I'm fully on board with the theory that you can't learn everything about a tenant from their credit report.

True,

I have one who I am convinced is suffering from mental illness and maybe some form of substance abuse. It is annoying as hell to deal with her at times. I keep hoping she will move at some point.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
www.tenantsafe.net

If the tenant has been evicted or hauled into tenant court, it will show up.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

griffin wrote:
Quote:

Magnus wrote:
The critical thing in background checks is prior evictions or court actions related to housing. Credit history not so much. Most people with lousy credit still know to pay their rent first.

Yeah agree on that. And truth be told, i'd rather get rent paid 1-2 days late instead of a bunch of troublemakers calling about q-tips in the toilet everyday.

Fiscal recklessness in my 20s would probably make me a bad tenant on paper, but I'm clean, quiet, and perfectly willing to take care of minor repairs/headaches without contacting the landlord. I think I've called him twice in the past five years.

A friend house-sat for me a few years ago. He is meticulous about his finances and probably has never paid a late fee in his life. He also called me daily with house drama. The hot water didn't come out of the taps fast enough. The front door was sticking. What's that noise coming from the toilet? I was literally telling him, from 3000 miles away, to "just jiggle the handle."

So I'm fully on board with the theory that you can't learn everything about a tenant from their credit report.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 16:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/8 19:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Magnus wrote:
The critical thing in background checks is prior evictions or court actions related to housing. Credit history not so much. Most people with lousy credit still know to pay their rent first.

Yeah agree on that. And truth be told, i'd rather get rent paid 1-2 days late instead of a bunch of troublemakers calling about q-tips in the toilet everyday.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 15:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 5:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/14 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Agree... you can also do a background check on prior evictions, I think I paid like 30 bucks for this information.

Good point - doing a background check...

Posted on: 2013/3/14 15:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
yeah, i definitely do the credit check etc background check, landlord reference.

but in the past, i've gotten caught up in "pays the bill on time=good tenant". which is true most of the time.

what i can't catch sometimes (even via landlord reference because say if the current landlord wants to get rid of them) is all the other factors like sending a billion emails about a tiny scratch in the window screen they made themselves, calling daily about plumbing issues because they flush q-tips down the toilet, etc. you can send a notice to cease and they stop that particular behavior but begin another behavior that's clearly against the lease. but somehow it doesn't get past the "notice to cease" to eviction level. I got burnt on that on my very first rental few years ago. they say you never forget your first... i wished there was something like 3 strikes and you are out type of deal instead of constant flow of notice to cease.
they pay on time, but the cost of sending a contractor out everytime and come back with non-issue is also a giant pain in the arse.

i guess i'm still trying to somehow find ways to prevent that type of tenant.

have you guys had issue with the latter type?

Posted on: 2013/3/14 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

griffin wrote:
Just out of curiosity. Is there such a thing as tenant blacklists in NJ?

I keep hearing fellow landlords talk about it in NY, about how Tenant Fair Chance Act kinda of put a stop to it in NY (at least the selling of it).

But everytime I google search it's "new york new york new york" with no mention of NJ.

Just curious to see if such list existed or database existed in NJ? Is it a real thing?

I'm certainly not going to put anyone on it, was just curious to see if any of my previous bad tenants were on it.

There's no such thing in NJ. Landlords have to do due diligence - credit checks, verifying and contacting prior landlords, and using a bit of intuition when interviewing prospective tenants.

Agree... you can also do a background check on prior evictions, I think I paid like 30 bucks for this information.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

griffin wrote:

I keep hearing fellow landlords talk about it in NY, about how Tenant Fair Chance Act kinda of put a stop to it in NY (at least the selling of it).

But everytime I google search it's "new york new york new york" with no mention of NJ.

Just curious to see if such list existed or database existed in NJ? Is it a real thing?

I'm certainly not going to put anyone on it, was just curious to see if any of my previous bad tenants were on it.

There's no such thing in NJ. Landlords have to do due diligence - credit checks, verifying and contacting prior landlords, and using a bit of intuition when interviewing prospective tenants.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 14:40

NJ Bad Tenant List?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/14 13:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017