Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Jersey City agencies all served South District well during and after Hurricane Sandy: letter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the many individuals, from various agencies, along with the residents of the South District, for their unwavering resilience during the "darkest nights" of Superstorm Sandy.

First, I would like to acknowledge the officers of the South District for "stepping up," with little or no notice, to work 12-hour shifts during the declared state of emergency. While the officers were certainly concerned about the well-being of their families and loved ones, they realized the dire situation the citizens of Jersey City faced. The South District officers worked together and performed admirably during this stressful time. Due to the loss of power, there were multiple situations that had to be addressed, such as the 24-hour manning of major traffic posts, the never-ending lines at gas stations, the influx of calls for police assistance, and most importantly, assuring the residents of the South District were safe.

Secondly, I would like to thank the multitude of agencies which provided assistance to not only the South District but the entire city. The city Fire Department worked nonstop, answering all calls related to fires, home/business electrical issues, as well as downed wires and trees that littered our streets. Recognition also to the Department of Public Works, which supplied both manpower and machinery throughout this horrific storm. The Parking Authority - whose presence was noted at various locations throughout the city. We cannot forget the EMS of the Jersey City Medical Center that despite the perilous conditions continued to provide their services throughout the city. Additional agencies that provided valuable assistance included the departments of Municipal Utilities, Incinerator Authority, Hudson County Sheriff's Office, as well as the National Guard and the many power companies that traveled into Jersey City to assist PSE&G.
Resized Image
JJ
Lastly, the residents of the South District should be commended for how they worked together throughout this difficult situation. Most of the residents remained orderly and watched out for their friends and neighbors, especially the elderly and disabled. As I rode through the streets of Jersey City, the question was always: "When would power be restored?" The streets were indeed the darkest I have ever seen and I wish I could have given an answer. Utility companies from across the nation and organizations such as Red Cross and Salvation Army moved in quickly to assist all of those affected by the wrath of "Superstorm Sandy." Although we sustained some significant damage, we were spared the widespread destruction seen at the Jersey Shore, New York and the entire metropolitan area.

CAPT. CHARLES NIERSTEDT

JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2012/12/31 18:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017