Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: A horse on 6 th street?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Ah, that would be old Moonshine. Haven?t heard anything about him in a while. It?s probably not news that Jersey City (like most cities, I guess) was awash with booze during prohibition, and while most of it came down from Canada, there were plenty of shiners out in the woods in Jersey, and even in some basements in JC. They?d send unmanned horses down the old rail tracks late at night with saddlebags to the move the hooch - less dangerous than driving the stuff themselves, of course. Some of it would stay in JC, some of it would stop in warehouses on the waterfront before moving onto the ferries to NYC.

So that?s the background. After a while of course, the feds caught on, and made a stake-out to track these horses and find out where they were going and who was sending them, so they set up shop along some of the rails in the area, though I can?t remember which line. Might not even be there anymore, but I guess the embankment makes sense? I don?t know much about the rail lines. Anyway, they were supposed to be following a horse on its trip down to the waterfront, but someone screwed up and spooked the horse back up towards the hills. The horse had to arrive at its destination or they?d raise suspicion, so the feds chased after the horse and backed it into a rail tunnel on another line. As they were trying to calm it down and turn it around towards the waterfront, they heard the whistle of a freight train that was much too loud. Giving up on their charge, they abandoned the horse and made a b-line for the tunnel entrance. After a mad dash, a couple of them made it, one guy lost a limb, and another got creamed by the train. The horse was still in the tunnel and of course, had no chance of squeezing by the side of the train, and got turned into horsemeat.

Now Moonshine the horse roams around JC at night sometimes, spooking people who walk their dogs late at night.

Well done!

Posted on: 2012/10/11 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
That's a great story. Is there seriously a ghost horse legend around here or did you write that on the fly? No tongue in my cheek here.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Ah, that would be old Moonshine. Haven?t heard anything about him in a while. It?s probably not news that Jersey City (like most cities, I guess) was awash with booze during prohibition, and while most of it came down from Canada, there were plenty of shiners out in the woods in Jersey, and even in some basements in JC. They?d send unmanned horses down the old rail tracks late at night with saddlebags to the move the hooch - less dangerous than driving the stuff themselves, of course. Some of it would stay in JC, some of it would stop in warehouses on the waterfront before moving onto the ferries to NYC.

So that?s the background. After a while of course, the feds caught on, and made a stake-out to track these horses and find out where they were going and who was sending them, so they set up shop along some of the rails in the area, though I can?t remember which line. Might not even be there anymore, but I guess the embankment makes sense? I don?t know much about the rail lines. Anyway, they were supposed to be following a horse on its trip down to the waterfront, but someone screwed up and spooked the horse back up towards the hills. The horse had to arrive at its destination or they?d raise suspicion, so the feds chased after the horse and backed it into a rail tunnel on another line. As they were trying to calm it down and turn it around towards the waterfront, they heard the whistle of a freight train that was much too loud. Giving up on their charge, they abandoned the horse and made a b-line for the tunnel entrance. After a mad dash, a couple of them made it, one guy lost a limb, and another got creamed by the train. The horse was still in the tunnel and of course, had no chance of squeezing by the side of the train, and got turned into horsemeat.

Now Moonshine the horse roams around JC at night sometimes, spooking people who walk their dogs late at night.

Posted on: 2012/10/9 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
This seems like it might be a bad art piece -- but I will bite... What were you doing before the 3 am walk?

The Hoboken Police keep horses not too far from there -- just over the line on Observer Highway -- maybe one got loose....

Posted on: 2012/10/8 13:54

A horse on 6 th street?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/28 10:17
Group:
Registered Users
Hello all,

I had a strange experience on 6th street last night which is bothering ne for a couple of reasons. A friend said I should try posting on this site to try and get to the bottom of it.
I have been looking after my neighbors dog and I'd neglected to take him out in the evening, so I ended up taking him for a little late night stroll around 3am this morning.
We turned onto 6th from Coles St and about halfway up towards Monmouth I saw a horse grazing on the embankment side. I walked up to try and get a closer look but, possibly spooked by the dog, the horse took off and headed north on Monmouth.

Does anybody know of anyone in Jersey City who keeps horses? I've certainly lived in other cities where there ave been urban horses. I need to know that I didn't imagine this and if there are horses in Jersey City, why was this one allowed to graze alone at night? There's a very real chance it could cause a traffic accident or endanger human lives in some other way.

Posted on: 2012/10/8 13:44

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017