Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
57 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 57

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New DMV Rules Begin Monday for Driver's Licenses
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
I thought about this thread as I rode past the DMV today and wondered how long I had to update my license to a TRU-ID version. The ACLU blocked this from happening in May, so no need to worry!
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012 ... court_order_to_block.html

Posted on: 2012/7/25 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Erica wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
OP:

I clicked on your link and that's what I got:

Page Not Found

The page you have requested cannot be displayed because it does not exist, has been moved, or the server has been instructed not to let you view it.

Please try the search option in the navigation menu above to find your information.

The link worked fine for me.

Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Anyway, what a PITA. The 6-point system worked (kind of). Now I will have to find my SS card. But I laminated it 30 years ago, which was/is against the law, and makes it invalid. I am screwed.

The NJ MVC has taken down the TRU ID stuff for now, but when I checked last week there was a list of acceptable forms of proof of SS# - it included things like tax documents (like a recent W-2) instead of a SS card. So, if/when this does get implemented, you won't necessarily need to find your SS card. (It's also not that hard to get a replacement card: http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ )

Thanks, Erica - maybe it won't be too bad, then.

Posted on: 2012/5/8 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
OP:

Page Not Found

The page you have requested cannot be displayed because it does not exist, has been moved, or the server has been instructed not to let you view it.

Please try the search option in the navigation menu above to find your information.

The link worked fine for me.

Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Anyway, what a PITA. The 6-point system worked (kind of). Now I will have to find my SS card. But I laminated it 30 years ago, which was/is against the law, and makes it invalid. I am screwed.

The NJ MVC has taken down the TRU ID stuff for now, but when I checked last week there was a list of acceptable forms of proof of SS# - it included things like tax documents (like a recent W-2) instead of a SS card. So, if/when this does get implemented, you won't necessarily need to find your SS card. (It's also not that hard to get a replacement card: http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ )

Posted on: 2012/5/8 15:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/22 6:04
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the nj.com linknj.com

And another link

If anyone has experiences to share re: license renewal this month that would be helpful.. I plan to renew mine by end June ;)

Posted on: 2012/5/8 4:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Well this new program actually makes it a lot simpler to get your license. They don't require as many documents like before.

Posted on: 2012/5/8 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
It's ridiculous how hard it is to get a state ID these days. My girlfriend had an easier time getting a passport than she did getting a New York state ID.

And when I went to get my license renewed recently, they didn't even bother to mention in the letter mailed to me that I'd need proof of address and secondary IDs and all sorts of other crap. Soon it will be impossible to get any ID in this country, and nobody will be allowed to vote.

Posted on: 2012/5/8 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
OP:

Page Not Found

I suspect the link has been removed following the above mentioned court order.

Posted on: 2012/5/8 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
OP:

Page Not Found

Posted on: 2012/5/8 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
The ACLU has won a court order blocking New Jersey?s stricter new driver?s license requirements, putting into limbo plans requiring 6 million drivers to show additional proof of ID before securing a license.
The ACLU also contends the requirements ? which called for Social Security documents as proof of ID ? lack sufficient privacy protections and would further marginalize populations such as the homeless and people who immigrated from other countries, who already can have a difficult time getting licenses.
Arguments are scheduled for Aug. 3 in Superior Court in Mercer County.
The federal standards were to be phased in, with New Jersey having separate dates for pre-Baby Boomers and post-Baby Boomers.
The 3 million New Jersey drivers and ID holders born after Dec. 1, 1964, were supposed to meet the new federal identity requirements by December 2014, while the 3 million drivers born before Dec. 1, 1964, had until December 2017.
When he introduced the ID changes to New Jersey transportation reporters about six weeks ago in Trenton, MVC chief administrator Ray Martinez said the changes were being made with national security in mind and to ensure that one driver has only one record.
One of the hijacked Sept. 11, 2001, planes took off from Newark Liberty International Airport.
Though half the U.S. states have resisted efforts to implement the federal ID standards, Martinez said, "New Jersey has had no excuse, given how we were impacted by 9/11 or going forward, to not be in a compliant state."
But Jacobs said New Jersey?s current 6 Point ID Verification system already is "one of the most stringent programs in the country, by far, for licenses."
"Some of the security measures that have been introduced since Sept. 11 are things that really are more to make us feel good than to make us safe," she said.

Darn ACLU ! always sticking their nose into everything. (and would further marginalize populations such as the homeless and people who immigrated from other countries, who already can have a difficult time getting licenses.) How about further marginalizing us Americans born and raised here! Now we have to wait to be protected !

Posted on: 2012/5/8 1:50
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The ACLU has won a court order blocking New Jersey?s stricter new driver?s license requirements, putting into limbo plans requiring 6 million drivers to show additional proof of ID before securing a license.
Today, New Jersey was to join eight other states in issuing a driver?s license with a gold star in the upper right corner ? a federally approved document Garden State residents could have used to board a domestic flight or visit a federal building.
But the American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey filed suit against the state Motor Vehicle Commission, alleging the "TRU-ID" program was being implemented without public comment and without following the regulatory and legislative process.
"The ACLU was able to get the TRU-ID program stopped on a technicality," ACLU-NJ executive director Deborah Jacobs said today during a news conference at the organization?s headquarters in Newark. "It?s a technicality called democracy."
The ACLU also contends the requirements ? which called for Social Security documents as proof of ID ? lack sufficient privacy protections and would further marginalize populations such as the homeless and people who immigrated from other countries, who already can have a difficult time getting licenses.
Arguments are scheduled for Aug. 3 in Superior Court in Mercer County.
The MVC issued a statement late today expressing disappointment with the ACLU?s "last-minute move" to block implementation of new federal identity requirements.
"This action adversely impacts over 3 million drivers and ID holders who are up against a December 2014 enforcement deadline," the statement read. " ... When looking at the totality of the consequences of this delay caused by the ACLU, agency traffic will be negatively impacted as well. It is our hope that this issue will be resolved as quickly as possible in the courts and we will be able to move forward with the necessary implementation plans."
The federal standards were to be phased in, with New Jersey having separate dates for pre-Baby Boomers and post-Baby Boomers.
The 3 million New Jersey drivers and ID holders born after Dec. 1, 1964, were supposed to meet the new federal identity requirements by December 2014, while the 3 million drivers born before Dec. 1, 1964, had until December 2017.
ACLU-NJ lawyer Ed Barocas said implementing a new system requires public notice and a chance for interested people to comment.
"In this instance, the State of New Jersey and the Motor Vehicle Commission sought to implement the TRU-ID system under the radar, evading the required process of the Administrative Procedures Act," he said.
When he introduced the ID changes to New Jersey transportation reporters about six weeks ago in Trenton, MVC chief administrator Ray Martinez said the changes were being made with national security in mind and to ensure that one driver has only one record.
One of the hijacked Sept. 11, 2001, planes took off from Newark Liberty International Airport.
Though half the U.S. states have resisted efforts to implement the federal ID standards, Martinez said, "New Jersey has had no excuse, given how we were impacted by 9/11 or going forward, to not be in a compliant state."
But Jacobs said New Jersey?s current 6 Point ID Verification system already is "one of the most stringent programs in the country, by far, for licenses."
"Some of the security measures that have been introduced since Sept. 11 are things that really are more to make us feel good than to make us safe," she said.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012 ... court_order_to_block.html

Posted on: 2012/5/8 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
I have known about this for a while. And will go Monday to get my license. I am not looking forward to this at all.

I always have to jump threw hoops because i use my middle name. Several of my uncles have the same first name...so to avoid confusion....since i was a kid my parents used my middle name for all my identification. Kind of funny since, I didn't realize what my real name was until i was like 15.

You figure even after granting me a license for several years they wouldn't make it into such a big deal. The odd part is that they would actually use my middle name on my approved license instead of making me use what is on my SS.

The office on Journal Square...is the one that gives me the least hassles. Forget about the one bordering Bayonne. I seriously hate that place....and every Bayonne Cop on duty inside has always been a douche.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
My last two trips to the MVC were pretty painless. I remember what a complete nightmare it was to deal with the old DMV (back in the 80's) when I first got licensed.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
This is the funny part:

Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTE: A current New Jersey Digital Driver License is not an acceptable proof of identity under REAL ID.

If you don't have a REAL ID approved driver license, you need to get one; but the only form of driver license they accept for that process is the REAL ID type. Can anyone say Catch-22?

The only more stringent requirements I see are that an NJ license is not accepted as a form of ID in the process, AND you need to provide proof of your SS number. Otherwise, it is the same burdensome process as before.

Oh, and they have been the MVC for years now, no longer the DMV. All part of the "we are not that bureaucratic, useless organization that disappeared when we were privatized" makeover. In their defense, they are much better than they were ten years ago, but still, this is just so amusing. I think the process for getting a passport is easier.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 14:28
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

New DMV Rules Begin Monday for Driver's Licenses
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Because proving you are YOU at the DMV isn't already frustrating enough, here are the new rules taking effect this Monday for any resident renewing or obtaining their driver's license.

Love that crime-bustin' star decal...

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/truid.htm

Posted on: 2012/5/3 14:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017