Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
156 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Vets shunned by Jersey City hotel: Hudson County Executive
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
Something is fishy.
I think Mr DeGise should explain:
Why he waited 2 months to make this public.
Did he contact the Hyatt before the morning of the event? His omission of when the Hyatt was first contacted makes me suspicious.
How did he come to know that the Hyatt had no other events that morning? Or is he relying on hearsay?

Frankly, I figure it is just another Hudson County machine politician whining about some business or individual that does recognize blowhard politicians severe sense of entitlement?

As to the event and the Veterans, that is neat. Glad they do this. Hard for me to believe that generation is coming to an end.
Hopefully next year something more could be done for those remaining vets. No matter what happened and they deserve better treatment from both our politicians and downtown waterfront businesses (not to mention everyday citizens) than this article reflects.

Posted on: 2012/2/14 3:50

Re: Vets shunned by Jersey City hotel: Hudson County Executive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, it was not a very nice thing to do but they are a business and have every right to not accommodate anyone especially someone who was not paying for anything. The above statement is not very clear if the organizers had been in touch with the hotel before hand about said request or how long.

Second, maybe the city should help this group better promote this...i am sure many more people would have come out. And it doesn't even have to cost much. I am sure people or certain businesses would luv to get the word out. Good luck next year.

Posted on: 2012/2/14 3:31

Vets shunned by Jersey City hotel: Hudson County Executive
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
On the morning of Wednesday, Dec. 7, a contingent of Hudson County veterans supported by family, friends and local public officials, gathered at Exchange Place on the Jersey City waterfront to commemorate the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor as they have for decades. Their Dec. 7 memorial service is actually the longest running Pearl Harbor commemoration outside of Hawaii.
The group, which included two veterans of the Pearl Harbor attack, both over 90 now, laid a memorial wreath upon the waters of the Hudson River, observed a moment of silence and listened to remarks reflecting on the day's historical significance. Our office usually then treats the group to a simple breakfast of coffee and bagels at a nearby eatery. However this year, the restaurant was closed for renovations.
Since the traditional site of the memorial wreath laying is just outside the doors of the Hyatt Regency Jersey City, our staff thought the hotel's management would welcome the opportunity to help by allowing us to set up a table for coffee and bagels (which we would provide) in the hotel lobby.
Even though the memorial takes place early in the morning and the group would be no more than 20 persons in total -- on site for less than an hour -- the hotel's management refused us, forcing a small group of veterans, most of them seniors, to walk three city blocks to the next nearest location for a bite and coffee after the wreath laying.
The Hyatt Regency Jersey City's management insisted that the group, who would have been located in a small corner of the lobby, would somehow create a crowding problem with other morning events at the hotel. Our staff later learned there were no events scheduled at the time. It turned out that the Hyatt Regency Jersey City just couldn't be bothered to help us save some proud veterans a long walk for a cup of coffee after the memorial service.
In response to the hotel management's disgraceful behavior, I will no longer attend or take part in any other functions, governmental or political, held at the Hyatt Regency Jersey City in the future.
TOM DeGISE
HUDSON COUNTY EXECUTIVE
JERSEY CITY
http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... sey_city_ho.html#comments

Posted on: 2012/2/14 2:52

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!