Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Last chance to see a “true” JC urban legend! The home of the “Purple People” of 440.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
What neverleft said. I didn't even know about that part of the site, I was just aware of them inspecting the grounds and making idle chit chat about what the future plans are.

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
The "plans" (again, not set in stone), are for a February opening of Staples with an entrance through the parking lot only.

Speak of the devil, I was just told today that the new plan is now April.

Posted on: 2012/1/10 1:20

Re: Last chance to see a “true” JC urban legend! The home of the “Purple People” of 440.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for the info...I can't believe they are not going to have the entrance to Staples inside the mall to draw people in. So I guess it is going to be another "shop and run" store like Old Navy.

Here is the site for the plans to extent the light rail....

www.hblr440aa.com

(funny the light rail was supoosed to come down to 440 in the original plans. It was pulled. All the property along the path was more or less abandoned back then...not any more.)

Here is the site for the big Bayfront project down accross from Home Depot.....

www.bayfrontjerseycity.com

Posted on: 2012/1/8 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/8 14:59
Group:
Banned
Do you have any references for the plan to go to south Kearny? I can't imagine any reason they would spend that much money on a new bridge across the river to go to such a horrible industrial wasteland.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Yeah ?that was a real eyesore. The area looks better already with most of it down. Next should be that old trucking firm that?s used as a truck graveyard. Also would be cool if a developer did something with that big old green warehouse next to 440 farms. A rumor was it was going to be some sort of Asian supermarket?but that was yeas ago.

The "plan", and I use that loosely, since there's nothing concrete at the moment, is to expand the Light Rail down to the Mall and eventually into Kearny. My general assumption of how things look is that they extend the elevated rail down Claremont through the land they already own and use as a ginormous parking lot, purchase/use eminent domain to cross the street and run it down the north side of the St. where self-storage and truck park are. However many decades that might take, who knows.

Quote:
Hey cory speaking of colors?.I see that there is no more ?brown? at the Hudson Mall!! They did a nice job on the Game Stop that took its place. Any updates on the construction and store movement? Thanks.

They've removed the front area where the wall, bushes and bus stop used to be and just finished running the electrical lines to power the new store. The "plans" (again, not set in stone), are for a February opening of Staples with an entrance through the parking lot only.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah ?that was a real eyesore. The area looks better already with most of it down. Next should be that old trucking firm that?s used as a truck graveyard. Also would be cool if a developer did something with that big old green warehouse next to 440 farms. A rumor was it was going to be some sort of Asian supermarket?but that was yeas ago.

Hey cory speaking of colors?.I see that there is no more ?brown? at the Hudson Mall!! They did a nice job on the Game Stop that took its place. Any updates on the construction and store movement? Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
and about damn time, too

Posted on: 2012/1/7 16:13

Last chance to see a “true” JC urban legend! The home of the “Purple People” of 440.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Hey newcomers maybe you have heard the great tales of the ?Purple People?, ?Purple Men? of Jersey City. Their home is finally coming down. If you look across rt 440 from the Hudson Mall you can catch a last glimpse of the deep purple dye. There must still be some of the purple stuff in the pipes and tanks because it is now all over the ground..again.

Brings back fond memories of seeing the workers taking a smoke/lunch break with their skin and jumpsuits soaked in the purple stuff. I hope they all survived.

Jersey City begins demolishing 'Purple People' dye plant on Route 440

Published: Thursday, December 01, 2011, 3:00 AM
By Adam Maher/The Jersey Journal

One of Jersey City's longest standing eyesores is coming down.

Demolition of the ?Purple People? building on Ege Avenue across from the Hudson Mall on Route 440 started yesterday.

A location where dyes were manufactured for over 40 years, the property became one of the city?s most visible vacant properties.

?We?re happy to remove Jersey City?s worst vacant industrial building,? a spokesman for Mayor Jerramiah Healy said in a press release.

The manufacturing building is located on Route 440 between Clarke and Ege avenues. Once the home of the Dye Specialty Corporation, the building became vacant after a disastrous environmental spill and fire.

After an emergency EPA and DEP clean-up overseen by the City of Jersey City in the early 2000s, the building was left unattended for almost a decade.

Picon Partners Redevelopment, a subsidiary of the M.D. Sass Company, which recently foreclosed on the damaged property via a tax lien that was purchased from Jersey City, officially gained title to the property about 60 days ago, city officials said yesterday.

Once the demolition has been completed and all debris has been removed, plans will be drawn up for redevelopment of the site and submitted to the city for review, company officials said.

?It?s a good space . . . I?m happy to see the building go,? said local resident Matt Delorme. ?The space could be used for some nice new apartment buildings.?

Picon officials have yet to disclose any details on what may replace the current structure.

JJ piece...

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_begins_demolishing.html

I hope the demolition crew survives? they are now purple from the knees down. I hope they know what they are doing this is a related piece from the NYT?s about the 2003 fire at the plant and what was found?.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/26/nyr ... ye-plant-cause-alarm.html

Buy the JJ?still a bargain at 75 cents a day!

Posted on: 2012/1/5 16:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017