Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Moving to Jersey City next fall -- building suggestions?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/18 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
You have PM.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
You've gotten some good advice. As others have said, you will probably trade off between amenities like washer/dryer in unit or in building, doorman, parking, etc. and space/price/character. Personally I like paying less money for more space and character and less amenities. I don't mind walking 1 block to drop off laundry on the way to work and picking it up at the end of the day so the however many hundred more a month I'd have paid to have an in unit washer and dryer wouldn't have been worth it. Really think about what you care about on a day to day basis.

If you like the look of back bay in Boston with the brownstones and the boulevard (holy b's batman), look around Van Vorst or Hamilton park, it's like a miniature version of back bay.

Also there is one good reason to go through a realtor: quality control. I saw some pretty nasty places via craiglist but found a real gem through a realtor - priced below market and essentially rent controlled. WELL worth the realtor fee because of how much I'll save in the next few years.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Glitter Queen: Jersey City is a great small town? You call almost 250k residents small? The PATH is a subway.

Compared to a city of 8 million next door, yes, its small. Also, alternatively, the roughly 40,000 people living downtown constitute a small city, and for many downtowners defines what is Jersey City.

Quote:

Now on to the real issue:

Try the Heights. Ogden Ave. from Bowers to Congress is a nice neighborhood & within walking distance of the Light Rail. It is also one block from Palisade Ave & you may be able to catch a bus to New York. The rent is a heck of a lot cheaper also.

Based on what the original poster was looking for, the Heights will be severely depressing to them.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 2:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/27 0:58
Group:
Registered Users
I have lived in 2 different complex's since moving to Jersey City in March. I would not recommend Dixon Mills. I would recommend, with flying colors, Windsor at Liberty. It is in between the Exchange PATH stop and the Grove PATH stop. We have a parking spot, washer/dryer in our apartment, a balcony, dishwasher, and gym in the building. My boyfriend and I really love it here and love how close it is to restaurants and there is a bar directly across the street. I hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/12/27 1:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/12 14:04
Group:
Registered Users
I would say stay downtown, great convenience to manhattan and a lot of stores/restaurants. You can get a great place in a high rise around 2400 and around 2000 in a non doorman building!

Posted on: 2011/12/26 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GlitterQueen wrote:
You can get a 1 bedroom at GrovePointe for like $2100-2400. The same with 50 Columbus. My friend lives at GrovePointe and she likes it. It is lacking some charm but that is what you give up when you move into a highrise.

I do not see any problem finding a 1 bedroom in a rowhouse within half a mile of he path for $2000 bucks. I have lived in hamiltion park(north of grove st) and it was only like 1600. i also lived in 1st street west of grove st and that was about the same. each of which were about half a mile away and my electric bill was way under 200 a month.

don't let a few people discourage you. JC is a great small city. It is constantly improving and honestly i prefer the path to the subway. It is also much cheaper if you can avoid paying for a monthly subway pass to just have a path card.

good luck! consider row houses!

Glitter Queen: Jersey City is a great small town? You call almost 250k residents small? The PATH is a subway.

Now on to the real issue:

Try the Heights. Ogden Ave. from Bowers to Congress is a nice neighborhood & within walking distance of the Light Rail. It is also one block from Palisade Ave & you may be able to catch a bus to New York. The rent is a heck of a lot cheaper also.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Dare I ask how a 1br apartment runs a $200 electric bill every month?

Many of the new buildings built as rentals have electric heat so the tenant, not the landlord, pays the bill. Add the fact that these buildings saved on construction costs by not being very concerned about efficient insulation. (Costs of climate control were tenants problem.) Also, those walls of glass may give great views but they also turn any South exposed room into a greenhouse causing greater a/c bills.

Watch out for the rent incentive deals that the larger buildings offer such as a free month or two that lower the effective rent. The renewal will be based on the nominal rent and will probably include a substantial increase over that. They figure once you've moved in you will accept a huge increase rather than move out. Threaten to leave and they may negotiate.

Also, be wary of renting an unsold condo unit from the sponsor unless you don't mind moving out at the end of one year. If the market turns around they will want to sell the apartment.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 20:09
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
MooseMan,

As a landlord and owner of a downtown brownstone I have to disagree with your theory in realtors being obsolete. Often times prospective tenants don't show for the scheduled appointments, which is a royal pain in the ass. Also, the realtor runs their credit and background checks, prepares necessary paperworks. Many of the companies who do credit and background checks only work with realtors. All of this saves the landlord and the prospective tenant a lot of time and frustration.

Now in bigger buildings they have a sales office which deals with much of this. So in that case there may not be such a need for a realtor. But be assured the costs with keeping that sales office going is baked into your rent or some other fee.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 13:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/13 2:07
Group:
Registered Users
Texas: appreciate the recommendation. I'm of the opinion, however, that the internet has rendered realtors obsolete, at least at the ridiculous rate they charge for doing what doesn't seem to be all that much work. It's a luxury I don't want to pay for.

If I knew the name of some buildings, I can find a way in myself and skip out on the realtor fees.

As for living in NYC...my significant other will be moving in with me within a year, and she will be working in nj. It's easier to live in jc or hoboken and commute to NYC than vice versa

Posted on: 2011/12/25 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Texas wrote:
MooseMan, I gave you the name of a realtor...I'm not doing your work for you. If I had as much money as you do for rent, there is no way I'd live on this side of the river. Stay in NYC like blockwatcher said. I second all his reasons. IF you are just looking for a cheap place to sleep JC is fine...but you can only eat at the same ok restaurants so many times.

Don't hate JC. If you work in NYC and live in JC you get the best and worst of both. Pros in JC, you get more space, 30 minute commute to NY, cheaper rents and parking, easier weekend getaways to golf, the shore, Poconos, state parks, and more "down-to-earth" people. Cons - you get taxed by both NJ and NY, insane cab fares from NY, poor late night public transport, and local JC/NJ politics that are a joke around the globe.

JC has it's warts and flaws. But bang for your buck it's a great place to live and commute to NYC.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 0:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Also, I would definitely avoid any LeFrak building.

Posted on: 2011/12/24 21:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
MooseMan, I gave you the name of a realtor...I'm not doing your work for you. If I had as much money as you do for rent, there is no way I'd live on this side of the river. Stay in NYC like blockwatcher said. I second all his reasons. IF you are just looking for a cheap place to sleep JC is fine...but you can only eat at the same ok restaurants so many times.

Posted on: 2011/12/24 20:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for all the information, guys.

Blockwatcher: I'm moving from Boston actually. Finishing my professional degree. Grew up in NJ. Would rather not live in the city (will be nice to escape it after work and just go back in if I want to do anything).

Posted on: 2011/12/24 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Schroader Lofts in the Hamilton Park Neighborhood and 150 Bay St in the Warehouse district only 1.5 blocks from the Grove St Path stop are both pretty cool buildings.

Posted on: 2011/12/24 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Check out The Park Hamilton.

It is a condo building, but there might be units for rent by owner. It is a converted leather factory with ceilings high enough to accomodate lofts, 2-ft thick concrete floors and ceilings and decent walls. Not your cookie-cutter high-rise, for sure. Layouts have TONS of character.

I used to live in a studio/loft unit there, and I enjoyed it. Some units have Manhattan views, the historic Hamilton Park is nearby.

Posted on: 2011/12/24 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
You can get a 1 bedroom at GrovePointe for like $2100-2400. The same with 50 Columbus. My friend lives at GrovePointe and she likes it. It is lacking some charm but that is what you give up when you move into a highrise.

I do not see any problem finding a 1 bedroom in a rowhouse within half a mile of he path for $2000 bucks. I have lived in hamiltion park(north of grove st) and it was only like 1600. i also lived in 1st street west of grove st and that was about the same. each of which were about half a mile away and my electric bill was way under 200 a month.

don't let a few people discourage you. JC is a great small city. It is constantly improving and honestly i prefer the path to the subway. It is also much cheaper if you can avoid paying for a monthly subway pass to just have a path card.

good luck! consider row houses!

Posted on: 2011/12/24 13:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/24 13:20
Group:
Registered Users
if you like government corruption, trash, sub par restaurants, the shit show that is the PATH, and a list that could continue on forever.... COME ON DOWN.

Stay in New York.

Moving here from the City was the biggest mistake I've ever made... but the nightmare ends on monday when the moving truck comes.

Posted on: 2011/12/24 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Dare I ask how a 1br apartment runs a $200 electric bill every month?

Posted on: 2011/12/24 11:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Have you considered the Heights section on the north end of J.C. ? It is more residential with cheaper rents and the landlords living in their buildings and with a neighborhood feel to it. The Western Slope is a quieter section but out of the way of public transportation. Kennedy Blvd. to Palisade Ave. will have more options for public transportation. There are 2 bicycle shops for an additional mode of transport. Also the area between Pershing Field and Mosquito parks is quiet and nice to walk around too. You can tour The Reservoir which is open on Saturdays during the warm weather months. The Light Rail train has a station on Congress St down the block from Ogden Ave. Ogden is a terrific block with a panoramic view of the Manhattan skyline. If you move closer to the south end of the Heights it will bring you closer to Journal Square in which you can walk to. There you have a bus terminal and access to the PATH trains. And lastly there is Central Ave. with an array of stores including 2 supermarkets, pizza parlors, delis, restaurants, and more all in one area.

Posted on: 2011/12/24 9:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Check out:

http://www.kannekt.com/15/96apart.htm

You'll find you can save $100s/month if you steer clear of the waterfront and rent west of Washington Boulevard. Have a look at places like The Lincoln and The Gotham.

Posted on: 2011/12/24 7:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
Highrises aren't your only option in JC....but if that is what you want fine. You will have to look hard to find places that don't have bedbugs and paper thin walls in your price range. Give Marcia Langley, a great relator, a call. 201-962-8922Quote:

Posted on: 2011/12/24 2:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, you guys.

Texas: I don't need a high rise, but I do want to be in a safer area and close to the PATH. Do you have non-high rise suggestions?

Posted on: 2011/12/24 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
in that price range, you may want to peruse both hamilton park and van vorst park. you will give up amenities, but you will gain space and character ...

also, zillow lists rentals and prices, which should be helpful in assessing what the market looks like ...

good luck!

Posted on: 2011/12/24 2:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That's what I figure I'll have to end up doing. Thanks for the advice!

Any building suggestions?

50 Columbus, portside towers, and Hudson point look nice on the websites, but I'm worried a bit about some of the complaints I've found (huge electric bills, paper thin walls).

Posted on: 2011/12/24 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Take the list of things you are looking for in an apartment, choose 3 that are essential and be satisfied if you can find an apartment with 2 of them.

Posted on: 2011/12/24 2:06

Moving to Jersey City next fall -- building suggestions?

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Starting a job right near Grand Central next fall and looking to live in jersey city. Trying to narrow down some building possibilities to make the process go easier when I start actually visiting units.

I've used apartmentratings, but given how many complaints there are for every building in jc, either there is nowhere good to live in jc or that site just attracts whiners.

Would prefer to be waterfront area. wouldn't mind being near grove path.

Budget max is 2500. 1 bed 1 bath. Closer to 2000 would be preferable. Balcony or private terrace would be nice. 10 minute or less walk to one of the paths.

Right now my electricity runs around $150-200/mo. Would like to keep it similar (instead of the exorbitant utility bills that I've heard plague some buildings).

Would like the walls to be somewhat sound proof (don't want to be able to hear my neighbors snore).

Thanks all.

Posted on: 2011/12/24 1:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017