Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
69 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 69

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Charge for excessive garbage?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
How about this as an alternative then.

Split out the waste collection bill as a fixed amount, totally separate from the property tax bill (but could be collected alongside the prop tax bill). Every household pays the same fixed amount/year, and the amount could be scaled based on whatever parameters the City decides. The existing property tax bill is reduced by that amount, so net effect for most homeowners is zero.

Abated properties and properties operating under PILOTS have to pay the same amount per household as any regular homeower.

Point being, you have an abated property, you don't get an abatement on other utilities. Why should abated properties get an abatement on garbage collection?

Posted on: 2011/3/29 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
How much would it cost to get rid of some of the City Council?

FREE...if more people would stop being apathetic and vote the ineffective council members out.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
How much would it cost to get rid of some of the City Council?

Posted on: 2011/3/28 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Agree, But why not hit up those that don't pay?

Because it will lead to trash being illegally dumped rather then the offenders allowing themselves to be charged for their excesses. Don't underestimate the sneakiness of a scumbag.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
JC is a growing population - More construction also means more dogs, less parking spots, the need for more public trash cans, more quality of life issues which includes crime.

Cityhall must have their head up their ass if they think they can provide the same service as they did 15 years ago. Just a simple review will highlight what the population growth has been over the years.............also the ratio of police officers to that population number.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 5:06
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Agree, But why not hit up those that don't pay?

Posted on: 2011/3/28 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
By my last post I meant does anyone have any solutions?

Sounds like you are all happy as pigs in the "fly-dumping" shit, see no way out, so are past caring. Have I got that right?

Welcome to your staus quo. And Welcome to the reason why your streets are paved with dog-shit. Because when push comes to shove, you don't really care about dog-shit until it ends up on your shoes.

Stop bitching if you dont really care :)

My opinion is illegal dumping/ dumping household garbage in public cans that results in overflow and removal of the can is a bigger problem then excessive garbage. Tackle that problem first by getting the JCPD and JCIA to enforce the laws and be proactive in eliminating the problem. Then more public cans will be placed on the streets resulting in less trash being thrown on the sidewalks. THEN try to find a solution for excessive garbage. Thanks.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I wasn't proposing an increase in taxes in any way, except for:
1. Extremely wasteful people
2. Those folks in abated/PILOT properties not paying property tax.

I guess it was dumb to float an idea that might reduce EVERYONE's property tax bills.

Won't happen again ;)

Posted on: 2011/3/28 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Here's a thought-provoking article on charging directly for garbage pick-up.

http://www.wisebread.com/should-we-pa ... ound-for-garbage-disposal

I think a modified Ithica scheme might work in JC. For example:

1. Every home gets a free weekly tab for 35lbs of garbage in a bag/can, not in a recycle bag.
2. Additional tags cost around $4 each.
3. No average home should need more than one bag per week (US average garbage = 28lbs/week). And no additional city charges if people stick to this limit.

Benefits:
It encourages reduction in waste and increased recycling.
This hits the wasteful, and particularly abated/PILOT properties that don't pay full property taxes. The revenue might even reduce the overall property tax burden.
It's a way of encouraging greener living including composting, recycling, etc.

Comments?

Here was the part where you asked for comments.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Sounds like you are all happy as pigs in the "fly-dumping" shit, see no way out, so are past caring. Have I got that right?

Welcome to your staus quo. And Welcome to the reason why your streets are paved with dog-shit. Because when push comes to shove, you don't really care about dog-shit until it ends up on your shoes.

Here is the part you you complain about the comments.

I don't think there is a need for the city to find some other reason to tax us more for the few services we get for the high taxes we pay.

I already stated why I don't think it was a good idea as from my observations, and those of many other jclisters, the good people of JC would just increase their improper methodology of disposing garbage.

Do I have any solution? To what? I don't see that there is a problem to be solved. You posted an idea, a lot of us disagree. Move on.

If you don't want comments, DON'T ASK FOR THEM!

EDIT - Oh and just how will charging for excessive garbage equal less dog excrement all over the sidewalk?

Posted on: 2011/3/27 13:13
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/27 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

That's not what has happened in Ithica -

Yeah, but unfortunately this is not Ithaca and it is Jersey City.

People already throw their personal garbage into the few existing already overflowing public trash receptacles. I just watched some woman two nights ago drop her garbage into a public trash can. Why didn't I take a photo of her? Because I was getting out of my car as I came home from work and don't carry a camera with me 24-7 (and no the camera on my phone wouldn't have provided a quality image at that distance for positive identification from a legal standpoint). Did anyone else in the immediate area notice or even care? No.

And I have had to confront my neighbors who seem to think it is perfectly normal piling all of their trash with ours. They claim creating a mound in front of my building is for the benefit of the trash collectors so they have one collection point and fail to realize that I don't like having a 20 foot long by 4 foot long and 4 foot wide landfill in front of my building, aside from the fact that we will get the ticket for whatever violations they could be guilty of.

So no, I do not think it is a good idea to start charging for excessive garbage.

So any clues? We see to have a lot of clues on why we shouldn't do stuff, but I love the new US can't do attitude, Seems to have been imported from Europe (hello Robin)

:)

Posted on: 2011/3/27 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There's a guy on Eighth street who does it all the time, he brings his bags of empty beer and liquor bottles and throws them in the can on the corner of 8th and Erie, or 8th and McWilliams.

I don't understand why he can't throw them in the recylcing containers outside his building.

Robin.

Posted on: 2011/3/26 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Great idea.....now who's bin is going to get my old car battery tonight, then again my neighbor looked at me funny so I'll dump it in their bin !

Posted on: 2011/3/26 23:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I have called the JCIA about people dumping household garbage in public cans. They said they would investigate but nothing happened. I can describe 4 different people who do this on a regular basis. Should I give addresses and descriptions here on this site? Would that be wrong? I may leave notes for them to see that they should refrain from doing this.

In all seriousness, please ask them why they do it. For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would dump house hold garbage in a public can...are the two nights a week garbage pick up not enough? Do they know it's illegal and will result with the public can eventually being removed? Are they just d-bags who care very little for their community? Please ask them why and post it here!

Posted on: 2011/3/26 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I have called the JCIA about people dumping household garbage in public cans. They said they would investigate but nothing happened. I can describe 4 different people who do this on a regular basis. Should I give addresses and descriptions here on this site? Would that be wrong? I may leave notes for them to see that they should refrain from doing this.

Posted on: 2011/3/26 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

That's not what has happened in Ithica -

Yeah, but unfortunately this is not Ithaca and it is Jersey City.

People already throw their personal garbage into the few existing already overflowing public trash receptacles. I just watched some woman two nights ago drop her garbage into a public trash can. Why didn't I take a photo of her? Because I was getting out of my car as I came home from work and don't carry a camera with me 24-7 (and no the camera on my phone wouldn't have provided a quality image at that distance for positive identification from a legal standpoint). Did anyone else in the immediate area notice or even care? No.

And I have had to confront my neighbors who seem to think it is perfectly normal piling all of their trash with ours. They claim creating a mound in front of my building is for the benefit of the trash collectors so they have one collection point and fail to realize that I don't like having a 20 foot long by 4 foot long and 4 foot wide landfill in front of my building, aside from the fact that we will get the ticket for whatever violations they could be guilty of.

So no, I do not think it is a good idea to start charging for excessive garbage.

Posted on: 2011/3/26 12:34
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
Encourages illegal dumping, and filling up of public cans!

Robin.

Yes, that's exactly what will happen.

Also, in the era of bed bugs, it discourages disposing of infected furniture.

That said, the city could encourage greener forms of disposal like post consumer recyclable sorting, reducing twice weekly garbage pickup to once weekly, increasing once weekly recycling pickups, and adding compost pickup for biodegradable waste.

That's not what has happened in Ithica - most people comply and behave responsibly as far as I can tell. The ones that don't are probably outed by their neighbors. If the City gives an incentive to "out" illegal dumpers, such as a percentage of any
fine collected, I'd guess it would stop pretty quickly.

Illegal dumping/ filling up of public cans is already a widespread problem, I agree...this would just encourage more.

Posted on: 2011/3/26 3:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:

Robin.

That said, the city could encourage greener forms of disposal like post consumer recyclable sorting, reducing twice weekly garbage pickup to once weekly, increasing once weekly recycling pickups, and adding compost pickup for biodegradable waste.

That's not what has happened in Ithica - most people comply and behave responsibly as far as I can tell. The ones that don't are probably outed by their neighbors. If the City gives an incentive to "out" illegal dumpers, such as a percentage of any fine collected, I'd guess it would stop pretty quickly.

Posted on: 2011/3/26 3:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:

Robin.

Posted on: 2011/3/26 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There are enough vigilantes in JC to out people that try that more than once. Photo the perp and report the dump, and the City can set a fine way above the $4 or so for the bag.

A $1000 fine, with a $200 reward for example would put a lot of cameras on the streets.

Posted on: 2011/3/26 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Robin.

Posted on: 2011/3/26 2:33

Charge for excessive garbage?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here's a thought-provoking article on charging directly for garbage pick-up.

http://www.wisebread.com/should-we-pa ... ound-for-garbage-disposal

I think a modified Ithica scheme might work in JC. For example:

1. Every home gets a free weekly tab for 35lbs of garbage in a bag/can, not in a recycle bag.
2. Additional tags cost around $4 each.
3. No average home should need more than one bag per week (US average garbage = 28lbs/week). And no additional city charges if people stick to this limit.

Benefits:
It encourages reduction in waste and increased recycling.
This hits the wasteful, and particularly abated/PILOT properties that don't pay full property taxes. The revenue might even reduce the overall property tax burden.
It's a way of encouraging greener living including composting, recycling, etc.

Comments?

Posted on: 2011/3/26 2:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017