Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC Restaurants take note!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
For the record, here is a look at the fattest states. NJ ranks among the leanest.

http://calorielab.com/news/2010/06/28/fattest-states-2010/

62% of the population being either overweight or obese doesn't really strike me as a strong selling point for the state - and since obesity tends to cluster among areas with higher rates of poverty, I wouldn't be surprised if Jersey City is above the national average.

I am absolutely shocked that there isn't one state in the country that is under 50% in the "overweight/obese" metric. Shocked.

Right, but Chester's link shows that RELATIVE to other states, NJ's population is skinny. My post (and I presume Chester's) was intended to disprove Fat Ass Bike's theory that NJ is "the fast food capital"...whatever that even means.

Per capita, NJ is very low on the fast food/chain restaurant in general scale.

Also, in more affluent populations (NJ is consistantly in the Top 2 or 3 in terms of affluence), fast food consumption is lower.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
For the record, here is a look at the fattest states. NJ ranks among the leanest.

62% of the population being either overweight or obese doesn't really strike me as a strong selling point for the state - and since obesity tends to cluster among areas with higher rates of poverty, I wouldn't be surprised if Jersey City is above the national average.

I am absolutely shocked that there isn't one state in the country that is under 50% in the "overweight/obese" metric. Shocked.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 21:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/21 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bizzychick wrote:
I know, struck me as an odd name at first, too. But it's the name of one of their rolled up pastries. Seriously, try it sometime. I'm moving next week and will really miss their food and treats.

It's another name for a cinnamon bun.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 21:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 13:22
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
I know, struck me as an odd name at first, too. But it's the name of one of their rolled up pastries. Seriously, try it sometime. I'm moving next week and will really miss their food and treats.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bizzychick wrote:
Also check out the cinnamon snail food truck, you can follow them on facebook and twitter. Usually in Hoboken from 9am-3pm fri-sun, around 1st/Sinatra. All vegan organic menu including really tasty and inventive vegan doughnuts. I'm not even vegetarian, I just really love their food.

I've never been able to get past that name.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 17:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 13:22
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
The veggie burger at o'connell's kicks ass. It's full of freshly prepared shredded veggies, not some frozen patty. Also check out the cinnamon snail food truck, you can follow them on facebook and twitter. Usually in Hoboken from 9am-3pm fri-sun, around 1st/Sinatra. All vegan organic menu including really tasty and inventive vegan doughnuts. I'm not even vegetarian, I just really love their food.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 16:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
We definitely need more vegetarian restaurant options. I love Subia's, and if they opened a full-on restaurant, where one could have a sit down dinner with a bottle of wine, that would be fantastic.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 13:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/23 16:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Ok if I made a Vegetarian option, but charged it like an expensive protein would you pay?

Trambone, I'm not sure if you're asking me as a vegetarian:

a) Will I turn a blind eye to you while your rip me off for dinner because you think i have special needs as a diner?
or
b) did i chose to be a vegetarian because I don't like paying for meat with my dinner.

but either way, it doesn't really sound like you get it.

Just to be clear, personally speaking, although I suspect I speak for several others from above, at most of the restaurants I go to in JC the options for vegetarians are very often fewer, less imaginative and more poorly executed than similar level restaurants around the metro area. If I go to Arkansas I'm not surprised if the veg option is poor, in Downtown JC, that seems surprising. That's all anyone is saying here.

I honestly couldn't get into the business machinations of if its "profitable" to have veg-friendly dishes on your menu, but it seems that it works fine for 95% of the restaurants in the metro area. If you're looking for an example of a place in JC, I know there's a good amount of love for the Tofu dish on the menu at Skinners. It's no more or less expensive than any other entree, but its a success not because it was made for vegetarians but because it's a tasty dish that just happens to not contain meat. Personally I choose to go spend my money there rather than other places purely because they seem to get it.

The point of this post is to say openly to any restaurateurs in JC, which I know several frequent and post on these boards, is that there's a bunch of potential customers out here and we feel underserved, if you'd like to serve us, we'll come spend our cash. That doesn't seem like such a scary proposition.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 11:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Ok if I made a Vegetarian option, but charged it like an expensive protein would you pay?

Posted on: 2011/3/27 5:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:
We're in total agreement with Plaiche - thanks for posting. IF JC restaurants added an interesting item or two for vegetarians (NOT Pasta Primavera, NOT a Veggie Burger, NOT Vegetable Lasagna) we'd eat out more often - especially during restaurant week.
We do order Chinese and Indian food frequently enough but would like to patronize more of the local scene here.

Does it always have to be ethnic veggie what about just regular All American fare.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
We're in total agreement with Plaiche - thanks for posting. IF JC restaurants added an interesting item or two for vegetarians (NOT Pasta Primavera, NOT a Veggie Burger, NOT Vegetable Lasagna) we'd eat out more often - especially during restaurant week.

We do order Chinese and Indian food frequently enough but would like to patronize more of the local scene here.

Posted on: 2011/3/27 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/25 18:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/25 17:23
Group:
Registered Users
you'll like this article on the best veggie burgers in nyc:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/din ... sq=veggie%20burger&st=cse

Posted on: 2011/3/25 17:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/1 19:42
Group:
Registered Users
Has Hamilton Inn brought back their veggie burger? They used to make a very good homemade one, and it was nicely prepared and very very tasty.

My wife and I were going there about once a month to have it, but stopped going once they removed it from the menu (as there was nothing left that was vegetarian, except the pizza which was not good).

We spoke to the manager about it, and was told that "a lot of people were asking about it", but that they didn't plan on bringing it back.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
You need to understand JC / NJ demographics and socio-economic standing - We are the fast food State and City

Huh?

I think that as a state, NJ is one of the LOWEST consumers of fast food (per capita). Have you ever been to the midwest, or the south? Or really, anywhere else in the US? They eat a LOT of fast food. Fast food joints, and chains in general, are extremely popular in most of the country. Seriously, have you been elsewhere? I've been blown away by the number of overweight people in the midwest and the south.

NJ is actually one of the thinnest/healthiest states in the US. I don't think that would be the case if we were the "fast food state", as you put it. LOL...?

Your comment seems out of left field, was it intended in jest?

Posted on: 2011/3/25 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Honestly not sure why the OP is so angry at the responses. One may have been an insult but otherwise they are legit comments.

There is a new Jersey City Food Co-op that should satisfy the need for fresh vegetables.

There is no co-op at Hamilton Park, despite what they try to call themselves.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 15:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/23 16:33
Group:
Registered Users
No Plaiche is dead on. Veg options in JC restaurants are almost all poor with no real reason. Vegetarians aren't asking for separate restaurants or anything beyond 'normal' restaurants looking at their menu and adding one or two imaginative choices that don't include meat or fish. With few exceptions the options in many of the mainstay restaurants, at least in downtown JC, are about as creative as a frozen veggie burger and moreover even when you do order them they are poorly prepared.

I don't understand the comments being so negative, no-one's threatening carnivores here, just asking that JC restaurants might be a little more considerate for the increasing number of people that like the occasional meatless dinner.

Plaiche there is also separate thread in the restaurant forums with some recommendations for the few places that do have good options.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I think a lot of it IS demographics. You have a large population of Asians, some of who are vegetarians. Those people won't eat "american style" vegeterian food. They'll eat asian vegetarian food. I actually don't like american vegetarian food for the most part. But Indian and Chinese....I'd rather eat that.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 12:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I wasn't trying to be a dick, I was just saying. Whole lot of vegetarian food at the indian and asian places. There isn't a lack of good vegetarian food, it's just not specifically vegetarian restaurants.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 5:18

Re: JC Restaurants take note
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
When a vegetable is more appealing and enough to spark creativity out a chef in JC then a protein you'll have your option.

If its you'll pay and your dollars will add up for veg food, you still make more selling proteins.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 3:44

Re: JC Restaurants take note

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/21 13:26
Group:
Registered Users
Oh no! I've been dissed by the JCList trolls!

Fat ass...I was born here 40 years ago...speak for yourself on what city and state I need to understand "we" are. And "understand" there's no hyphen in socioeconomic.

Catdog...dare I retort about some additional nuance of food choices, like sodium for example? Doubt that would get us far. Thanks for your suggestion but I know my options and politely offered that I'd like more.

Here's an idea: how about you three resist the temptation to comment on things that aren't of interest to you and keep the noise down? The signal to noise ratio on JCList has always sucked ass and pot shots like these are why people stay away from this generally caustic board in the first place.

I shared an article and my opinion on a niche that has grown rapidly for a few decades but slower here for some reason and I did so as gingerly as possible.

Go patrol something more contentious and worthy of your idle hands.

Posted on: 2011/3/25 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
dear restaurants, please ignore this post and continue doing what you're doing (as long as its good).

Posted on: 2011/3/25 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
all of the asian and indian restaurants have vegetarian food. Just go to them.

Posted on: 2011/3/24 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
You need to understand JC / NJ demographics and socio-economic standing - We are the fast food State and City

Posted on: 2011/3/24 20:28
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

JC Restaurants take note!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/21 13:26
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/din ... 38-6zj16bZPD52EdDnnqu9l8g

With some exceptions, JC has long had lackluster quality vegetarian options in comparison to both NYC and the suburbs (same goes for veg grocery shopping but the new coop on Hamilton Park looks very promising). I am not vegetarian but eat 80% or so that way, and higher when tasty satisfying veg options are available.

A kindly request then from an omnivore for the many excellent JC restaurateurs and chefs to step it up and catch up with demand. A high quality (not frozen soy puck) version of a veggie burger with a non white flour bun is an excellent way to achieve this on your menu. Feel free to go further and I imagine you'll find lots of fence sitters scooping up these options gratefully.

Bon apetit!

Posted on: 2011/3/24 20:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017