Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City high school principal, others removed pending probe into alleged grade-fixing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Your assertion that sports in school predates communism doesn't preclude the fact that it''s communist in nature. Why does the US spend so much on it, and virtually no other western society does the same. To me it's a cold war legacy. Why doesn't the US drop it from their ed system?

I guess kids not being FAT TUBS is a cold war legacy too. I mean sheesh little league is gonna be easy in a few years. All Babe Ruths and no one to field. I mean seriously can you imagine without sports stores like Lane Bryant and Casual Male XL will just be Macys.....

They have sports in European schools, but don't have Casual Male XL, nor free jock passes to college.

Colleges support free Jock passes because it generates so much revenue. College football probably supports itself and helps the University, if it didn't it would be cut.(Look at NJCU)

Revenue to the college? What a load of bull. Look at the top sports clubs in the world. Most sports clubs make a loss and are bankrolled by idiots that want to own the brand. Even the top brands in the world make a loss....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

LONDON: Manchester United has reported a record overall loss of 83.6 million pounds ($132 million) last season despite operating profits exceeding 100 million pounds for the first time.

The Premier League giant's record losses are a big swing from the 25.5 million-pound profit from the previous financial year, which came after the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid for a world record 80 million pounds.

Matches were played last season against the backdrop of mounting protests against the club's American owners, the Glazer family, as heavily-indebted United missed out on a fourth straight league title.

United did show the strength of its global commercial operations in the year up to June 30 by reporting a record turnover of 286.4 million pounds.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 5:02

Re: Jersey City high school principal, others removed pending probe into alleged grade-fixing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Your assertion that sports in school predates communism doesn't preclude the fact that it''s communist in nature. Why does the US spend so much on it, and virtually no other western society does the same. To me it's a cold war legacy. Why doesn't the US drop it from their ed system?

I guess kids not being FAT TUBS is a cold war legacy too. I mean sheesh little league is gonna be easy in a few years. All Babe Ruths and no one to field. I mean seriously can you imagine without sports stores like Lane Bryant and Casual Male XL will just be Macys.....

They have sports in European schools, but don't have Casual Male XL, nor free jock passes to college.

Colleges support free Jock passes because it generates so much revenue. College football probably supports itself and helps the University, if it didn't it would be cut.(Look at NJCU)

Posted on: 2011/1/19 4:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2011/1/19 4:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2011/1/19 4:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
So unsurprisingly this thread got derailed. Which probably wouldn't happen if more people played sports while in high school. ;) Which is why it's important they never get removed from school curriculum.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
PS:

I also love the fact that the word "communist" is one of your "red" buttons.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/1/19 2:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/11 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

DickCheney wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Ummmm.....

The US is probably the only non-communist country, that builds in communist principles into the core of it's education system as far as sports goes. Read it and weep. No other democratic country makes sport part of it's core curriculum at colleges and Universities. Long live US communism. (Or perhaps wake up America.)

Ummmm..... sports in school long predates the rise of communism:

* First intercollegiate crew regatta (Harvard vs. Yale): 1852
* First intercollegiate baseball game (Williams vs. Amherst): 1859
* First intercollegiate football association (Harvard-Yale-Princeton): 1872
* First intercollegiate track and field association (Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletics of America, or IC4A): 1875
* First intercollegiate tennis match: 1883
* First intercollegiate ice hockey game (Harvard vs. Brown): 1895
* First intercollegiate gymnastics competition: 1899

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/college- ... niversities#ixzz1BRZcf4Em

Athletic competition in High School also go back well over 100 years.

And it's not just the US:

You may also recall a famous quote by the Duke of Wellington: "The Battle of Warterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton."

Rugby, from which American football descends, was invented in ~1823 at Rugby, when a player picked up the "soccer ball" in a game and ran with it. I think that pre-dates Karl Marx.

You have really no clue? Right? Deduction, inference that kinda stuff? When you can get past pasting facts on a website, I'm sure we can have an intelligent discussion.

Yeah as long as we don't let facts get in the way.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DickCheney wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Ummmm.....

The US is probably the only non-communist country, that builds in communist principles into the core of it's education system as far as sports goes. Read it and weep. No other democratic country makes sport part of it's core curriculum at colleges and Universities. Long live US communism. (Or perhaps wake up America.)

* First intercollegiate track and field association (Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletics of America, or IC4A): 1875

You may also recall a famous quote by the Duke of Wellington: "The Battle of Warterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton."

Rugby, from which American football descends, was invented in ~1823 at Rugby, when a player picked up the "soccer ball" in a game and ran with it. I think that pre-dates Karl Marx.

You have really no clue? Right? Deduction, inference that kinda stuff? When you can get past pasting facts on a website, I'm sure we can have an intelligent discussion.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 2:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/11 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Ummmm.....

Rugby, from which American football descends, was invented in ~1823 at Rugby, when a player picked up the "soccer ball" in a game and ran with it. That would make Karl Marx about 4 or 5 yo.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ummmm.....

Posted on: 2011/1/19 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I played the trumpet in my public grammar school's orchestra which also in a local inner city. Also I was in school plays in high school as well as grammar school. I value these experiences immensely even though I didn't excel at any of them. But I have fond memories of classmates and meeting new people.

To offer some insights I was in grammar school from 1970 through 1978 and high school from 78 through 82. The economy was often challenging during much of those years.

Of course I was aware that some schools engaged in grade inflation and fixing to improve the profile of it's students and the school.

Any initiative to abandon these activities from the school agenda should be quelled early on.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
In addition to sports I think schools should also continue arts programs and any other extra curricular activities that keeps students interested in school life and furthers their learning. The more varied the offerings the more likely to keep the interest of kids. Too many people enjoy sports to put the pinch on them. Arts are similarly vital to stimulating a student's mind and thought process while holding their interest.

During the Cold war both of these received much better funding. Its because America cared about being better then the Commies at everything. When the Olympics came we had to try to beat them. At one point an American Orchestra was actually considered the best in the world. We need to fund these things to create a better America.

On the actual topic its funny my high school (Fort Lee) was caught doing the same thing, but it wasn't for the atheletes. It was actually to help kids get into Duke and Princeton. It'd be nice if Jersey City did that so our schools didn't look like crap and the top students in the class didn't just end up at HCCC.

Posted on: 2011/1/19 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In addition to sports I think schools should also continue arts programs and any other extra curricular activities that keeps students interested in school life and furthers their learning. The more varied the offerings the more likely to keep the interest of kids. Too many people enjoy sports to put the pinch on them. Arts are similarly vital to stimulating a student's mind and thought process while holding their interest.

Posted on: 2011/1/18 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
No, I don't think they should just eliminate all sports as a knee-jerk reaction to budget problems, as GP seems to advocate. But I think it is fair to cut back their budgets if need be and eliminate them entirely if participation is low.

They should eliminate sports because it is a distraction to the 3 R's. Just like all the other distractions out there today. You don't see extra curricular activities at work it's business or you're out the door. My tax dollars should be spent on academics only. I'll would support funding for teachers, and materials for the length of the school day, and that could be just as long as it did when the sports program was there. If it has to do with learning then yes by all means spend but not on sports programs I don't think the two can mix. Find a better way.

Posted on: 2011/1/18 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
No, I don't think they should just eliminate all sports as a knee-jerk reaction to budget problems, as GP seems to advocate. But I think it is fair to cut back their budgets if need be and eliminate them entirely if participation is low.

Posted on: 2011/1/18 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Chester,

While we may disagree on why school athletic programs are good and I don't disagree with some of what you're saying; it doesn't seem that you're advocating for the eradication of sports from school programs.

Posted on: 2011/1/18 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I played a bunch of sports in high school with various levels of success and I would bet that, on average, the academic performance, time management skills, and teamwork skills of HS non-athletes is no different than that of the athletes. Many athletes suffer academically from the time spent on the court or field. And many are used and abused for their athleticism. I am sure that most successful business leaders who played high school sports would have succeeded regardless. You can be a competitor without ever having played a sport in your life.

I think the primary benefit of HS sports is as a healthy recreational outlet from the grind of schoolwork. You can find things out about yourself that you may never have learned otherwise. You can make friends that you may not otherwise have, although I guess you can make enemies, too. But generally, I think the benefits are greatly overstated.

Posted on: 2011/1/18 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I couldn't disagree with a statement more. School sports programs are essential to the academic program. There are many student athletes who are often among the best academic performers in their class. The rigorous schedule helps these students develop a greater sense of time management and playing on a team cultivates a good sense of working well with others. I'm not saying there aren't student athletes who perform poorly academically, but they are by no means the rule.

Candidly when I hire I often give a little more consideration to people who played sports in school, especially women. Perhaps it's because I played sports in school. But I also recognize that my grades were always better during the quarters I was in a season. Of course my position about time management skills and working well in a team are convincing to me and germane to hiring decisions. There is also the inherent competitive nature of someone whose played sports in school, which is often vital to success in business.

If my tax dollars are going to support schools and education that better certainly include sports programs.

[quote]
GrovePath wrote:
We need to dump these school sports' programs at our schools -- they waste tons of money we don't have and only help a handful of kids who make these few teams.

Of course they fixed the grades for dumb dumb athletes to keep them on these teams - what a JOKE! What a waste of money!

Posted on: 2011/1/18 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
We need to dump these school sports' programs at our schools -- they waste tons of money we don't have and only help a handful of kids who make these few teams.

Of course they fixed the grades for dumb dumb athletes to keep them on these teams - what a JOKE! What a waste of money!

======================================

Jersey City schools superintendent said to be preparing statement addressing Lincoln High School grade-fixing scandal in which principal and two other administrators have been reassigned

Tuesday, January 18, 2011
By TERRENCE T. McDONALD
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City Schools Superintendent Charles T. Epps Jr. and the district's spokeswoman remained mum yesterday on the Lincoln High School grade-fixing scandal.

With schools closed for Martin Luther King Day, Epps and district spokeswoman Paula Christen declined for the second straight day to return phone calls.

Board of Education president William DeRosa said yesterday that Epps was planning to issue a statement today.

Several board members told The Jersey Journal on Sunday that three school administrators - including Lincoln High principal Jeannette McRae-Braswell - were reassigned to the district office Friday pending an investigation into the grades of some student athletes being changed.

The two other officials reassigned Friday were Lincoln High athletic director Artie Williams and former Lincoln High teacher John Gonzalez, board members said. Gonzalez was named a vice principal at Snyder High School in the fall.

DeRosa said the investigation involved two sports, basketball and football, but that he didn't know how many students were involved or how many grades had allegedly been altered.

Board member Sean Connors said the investigation stemmed from an anonymous letter that was sent to the district office.

Students must maintain a 2.0 grade point average or better to play on teams, he said.

Board member Carol Lester said yesterday school district officials should have released a statement when news of the scandal surfaced.

"You have to allay people's fears. You have to let them know it's not a safety issue, and you also have to stop rumors," Lester said.

McRae-Braswell and Gonzalez could not be reached for comment and Williams didn't return several phone calls.

Richard Glover Jr., an assistant football coach at Ferris High School, said last night that the grades of student athletes should never be tampered with.

"At the end of the day it's about getting kids into college and to the next level," he said. "By changing grades you definitely don't help them."

North Bergen High School head football coach Vince Ascolese said yesterday he hopes any alleged wrongdoing was intended to help kids who need athletics, not to better the school's athletic advantage.

"Sometimes there are kids who really need athletics to make life better," Ascolese said. "But if they did it to make their teams better, that's a shame."

The Lincoln Lions football team played for a state championship in December and lost to New Providence.

Posted on: 2011/1/18 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
This sounds like a story in relation to the Odessa Texas Permian High School football team the Permian Panthers. They made a movie and TV show out of it. The town was exposed by a Philadelphia sports writer who wrote the book Friday Night Lights showing thier love for the game and their disregard for academia. I believe 60 minutes had a broadcast on this isssue,

Posted on: 2011/1/16 11:15

Jersey City high school principal, others removed pending probe into alleged grade-fixing
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/16 3:14
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey City school district on Friday removed the principal of Lincoln High School along with three other employees while school was still in session.

School board member Sean Connors confirmed to the Jersey City Reporter that the removal took place and the employees were reassigned to the school district office pending an investigation. Connors said the investigation was looking into allegations that the grades of some Lincoln High School athletes were fixed to allow them to remain eligible.

Connors said he was informed by schools superintendent Dr. Charles Epps before the removal took place and after.

The removed employees identified so far are Prinicipal Jeannette Braswell-McRae and Athletic Director Artie Williams.

Connors said it would be "sad" for Lincoln if the allegations were true. He noted that the high school has enjoyed great press recently due to the success of their football team and the school's soccer coach, Wexford Boateng, being honored by the Hudson County Interscholastic Athletic League.

For more on this story, check www.hudsonreporter.com for updates. - Ricardo Kaulessar

Posted on: 2011/1/16 3:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017