Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
80 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: judge rules cabbie didn't keep senior citizen a prisoner after refusing to accept senior discount
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
A bit of bull siht from the cabbie I feel..........why accept the 1/2 price fare only when cops show up!!!!

Posted on: 2011/1/9 18:19
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

judge rules cabbie didn't keep senior citizen a prisoner after refusing to accept senior discount
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City municipal judge finds for the defendant, rules cabbie didn't keep senior citizen a prisoner during dispute over discounted fare

Saturday, January 08, 2011
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Jersey City cab driver was found not guilty yesterday of allegations he locked a 77-year-old passenger in his cab after refusing to accept the man's senior discount fare.

"I'm happy for the court's decision," said cab driver Abzaldeen Abdalziz after Jersey City Municipal Court Judge Carlo Abad found him not guilty of the complaint filed by Joseph Harkins, 77, of Jersey City. "I support senior citizens, but I like to follow the rules."

During yesterday's trial Abdalziz testified he drove Harkins to Kennedy Boulevard and Fairmont Avenue on April 9 and upon arrival Harkins showed him a senior citizen card and, in keeping with city policy, offered Abdalziz half the $4.50 fare.

The driver said he demanded identification and when Harkins said he had none on him, he refused to accept the discounted fare.

Abdalziz said Harkins told him he'd had the same problem with a cab driver previously and said he was calling police. Instead, the cabbie told Harkins to stay in the car and called police himself.

Abdalziz testified, and the judge agreed, that Harkins was free to leave the cab at any time. Abad said Harkins said he wanted to wait for police anyway. The arriving officers filed no charges against the driver or passenger and Abdalziz accepted Harkins' $2.25 fare, which was handed to him by the officers.

After yesterday's verdict, Harkins said he was shocked Abad ignored his testimony stating Abdalziz had locked him in the cab and repeatedly refused to let him out.

"I am astounded by this blatant disregard of the testimony put on the record," Harkins said of Abad's ruling. "I stated that a number of times I attempted to get out of the cab and demanded he let me out, but it was locked."

Prosecutor Markis Abraham finished his closing argument yesterday, saying of Abdalziz: "He cannot lock the doors of a taxi and hold a passenger for any period of time."

Harkins said he is considering whether to pursue the matter further.

Abdalziz was represented by Jersey City Attorney Patrick G Patel.

Posted on: 2011/1/8 16:38

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017