Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Atomic Wings owners suing JC over delays in opening
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bearbear wrote:
they're also holding up the opening of hamilton health & fitness in the same building. at what point do these clowns lose their jobs? they are holding jersey city business owners hostage? i hope atomic wings is able to sue the pants off of them. frustrating.

You mean sue the pants and skirts off the tax paying homeowners. I bet the city's attorneys find a stipulation and loop hole and win their case on the grounds that Atomic Wings finally opened. What is the status of these bussinessmen that keep getting screwed ? Are they cooporate, mom & pop, American born or foreign born ? I bet it makes a difference, I'd like to know the path these permits are taking for each individual. Sometimes having foreign accents can either get in the way of doing things or the city just pushes them along. Plus not being used to Jersey City can slow the process. I have not heard of problems up in the Heights I do know of some contractors that refuse to do business in Jersey City because of the crazyness, and the parking alone makes those run for cover.

Posted on: 2010/11/1 22:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/9 19:59
Group:
Registered Users
they're also holding up the opening of hamilton health & fitness in the same building. at what point do these clowns lose their jobs? they are holding jersey city business owners hostage? i hope atomic wings is able to sue the pants off of them. frustrating.

Posted on: 2010/11/1 20:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/14 18:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
stephen wrote: While we have talented local contractors diligently working to bring this simple build to fruition, delays in permitting and the necessary equipment are forcing us to reconsider the opening date. It was our hope and our understanding that an early November opening was realistic, however that is not the case.

Early November? Try early April 2011 at the earliest. It doesn't look like they have even started on it

Posted on: 2010/11/1 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
The Silvermans seem to know People. Hard to imagine one of their tenants having a permitting problem.

Posted on: 2010/11/1 19:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/5 15:04
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like the department of buildings is dragging their feet on another business trying to open and denying the city of much-needed commercial activity. I just received an email from the Downtown Coop:

While we have talented local contractors diligently working to bring this simple build to fruition, delays in permitting and the necessary equipment are forcing us to reconsider the opening date. It was our hope and our understanding that an early November opening was realistic, however that is not the case.

This is a brand-new building - not a rickety ol' store-front. What can the hang up possible be?

Full email: http://enews.downtowncoop.com/11012010.html

Posted on: 2010/11/1 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
more ammo for Fulop during election time ...... more prospective JC employees that might have had a job.

HEALY COSTS JC JOBS..........could be the head-line !

Posted on: 2010/10/24 5:09
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
think of all the empty places - Lee's Fish, Feed Your Soul Cookies, Europa, Borinquen hardware, etc that are all around downtown and Newark. You'd think the city would make it easy for commercial tenants given a rather high vacancy rate in the prime spots.

But that would make too much sense I suppose...

It would make too much sense. Logic doesn't seem to be the strong suit of the Healy administration.

Well, I suppose the owners of Barcade could contact the Mayor's Action Bureau, and if the Healy administration truly wants to "help" all businesses come to Jersey City as they say they did related to the Atomic Wings lawsuit, the Bureau might do something about it. But I suppose that at the end of the day, they are just another toothless part of the bureaucracy.

As a side note, while the Healy administration claims that there are fiscal problems that force the raising of property taxes, they still have money to hire this Secaucus-based law firm to fight this lawsuit that they should be working to settle to minimize costs to the city. Furthermore, why can't the Healy administration at least hire a law firm in the city of Jersey City? That would be a "help" to a business in Jersey City. I wonder how many other out-of-town vendors that the city does business with when there is a perfectly good vendor already located in the city (i.e., accounting firms, couriers, actuaries, waste removal, etc.).

Posted on: 2010/10/24 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
think of all the empty places - Lee's Fish, Feed Your Soul Cookies, Europa, Borinquen hardware, etc that are all around downtown and Newark. You'd think the city would make it easy for commercial tenants given a rather high vacancy rate in the prime spots.

But that would make too much sense I suppose...

Posted on: 2010/10/23 22:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 3:15
Group:
Registered Users
The problem with confronting Buildings in court is that when caught doing something outright illegal they come up with some plausible nonsense to cover themselves. Digging out some ancient permit that they screwed up the paperwork on as "the violation" is one they use often. I wonder if they don't do it intentionally, to have a lever on you. Even when you get the signed "final inspection" sticker, how would you know they actually filed it unless you go down there and check?

Posted on: 2010/10/23 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
DCA = Department of Community Affairs in Trenton. The State has oversight of the building department, not the city.

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/offices/regaffairs.html

The Office of Regulatory Affairs is primarily an investigative agency responsible for investigating allegations of violations of the Uniform Construction Codes. The Office has the authority to propose administrative actions which may result in Letters of Warning, Letters Reprimand, Penalties, Suspensions and/or the revocation of licenses held by officials entrusted with the responsibility to enforce the Uniform Construction Code in the local municipalities in the State of New Jersey. Please contact (609) 984-7672 for information on how to file a complaint.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 21:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Call DCA. You can file a formal complaint with them. A building department is required by law to review permits within 21 days.

The DCA is the Department of Cultural Affairs? These people? Seems like an odd department to be taking up this issue.
http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/hhs.aspx?id=1440

Or do you mean the HEDC?
http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/hedc.aspx?id=858

Hunt down the phone number and post it to make it all the more likely that people will pick up the phone and call.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stephen wrote:
. Their Facebook page says they've been waiting 10 weeks for permits. I lived close to their Brooklyn location and this is a first class project that would bring desperately needed vitality to "restaurant row."

Call DCA. You can file a formal complaint with them. A building department is required by law to review permits within 21 days.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 20:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Call the city clerk (201-547-5150) on Tuesday (Monday is a furlow day) and sign up to address the city council on this topic. Tell your personal story. Demand that they address this. It will press the council and mayor to do something and it will keep this story in the press, growing public awareness.

I am very concerned about Barcade. I spoke on their behalf as a member of the community as the planning board gave the final approval to them. Since then I've seen nothing happen at their location. Only stop work orders, chained doors and drunks squatting out front. Their Facebook page says they've been waiting 10 weeks for permits. I lived close to their Brooklyn location and this is a first class project that would bring desperately needed vitality to "restaurant row." Barcade would become an anchor on the block and other venues would soon follow.

It's unfathomable, that in this economy, and given the city's fiscal mess, that there would be any obstruction allowed. Healy should be down there asking questions and cleaning house. I consider no action to be a support of the the status quo.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcboyz wrote:
Call the building department and mayors office every day and tell the to FIRE RAZZOLI and his henchmen. STICK IT UP THEIR ASS!

And as I understand it, Mr. Razzoli isn't even a Jersey City resident. So how can he work as an employee of the city?

Posted on: 2010/10/23 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
Call the building department and mayors office every day and tell the to FIRE RAZZOLI and his henchmen. STICK IT UP THEIR ASS!

Posted on: 2010/10/22 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
This is one reason I am suspicious of Fulop, Healy as well as Christie. None of them seem to want to clean up local government

????

While it's next to impossible to actually reform anything when you're 1 guy out of 9, Fulop has repeatedly yanked down their pants and left them having to make lame excuses in public for the corrupt status quo. What more do you want from someone who is actually electable?

Posted on: 2010/10/22 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
This is one reason I am suspicious of Fulop, Healy as well as Christie. None of them seem to want to clean up local government

Posted on: 2010/10/22 19:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/26 19:59
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what the story is with the new Satis space on the corner of Washington and Sussex?

Posted on: 2010/10/22 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kickemout wrote:
Good for them. Too many establishments don't have a chance because of the city's poor performance. Ox is another. Poor park and 6th. this city needs an enima.

Do you know for certain that Park & 6th is stuck in this never ending boondoggle?

Barcade is almost surely going to get caught up in the same morass.

I'm happy Bon Chon was able to open so quickly, but do you know why they had it so easy? I assume it because Atomic Wings had everything done perfectly. It's really a shame how anti business this city is.

Posted on: 2010/10/22 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is precisely the reason I used my iphone as recorder when I went through an inspection in my house - it passed. If I had had this kind of BS comment I would have sued the city. For the record the inspector was respectful.

Remember, you can always record anything and send it to the web right away for protection.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 23:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/1 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Good for them. Too many establishments don't have a chance because of the city's poor performance. Ox is another. Poor park and 6th. this city needs an enima.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster:

They do that a lot. I have a series are horror stories with the JC Building Dept. that I will relay here later when I have more time to write. I ended filing so many complaints that the head of the department that oversees the local BD's picked up the phone at DCA.

Only met one decent person in that entire department. He was a building inspector who was courteous, patient, and professional. He told to my face that his job "was to help us meet the required codes for health, safety, ect." Not to be an impediment. A neighbor of mine had a similar experience.

He arrived, inspected, gave us a list of things we needed to pass.

When I called him back to schedule a re-inspection, I was told he quit.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
I have no problem with fire and other building regulations, I know they exist for a reason. But when the building and zoning departments can't tell you up front what you need and what needs to be done to prepare a building for occupancy, then fine you or issue a stop work order later as a result of your ignorance, it makes no sense. Its like they rule by decree and it is completely unfair.

A friend was renovating his single family home with electrical permits he pulled, as allowed by law. The inspector failed him, but refused to say why, claiming "if you're doing your own electrical work you should know!". That kind of bullshit should be a firing offense. It's simply harassing a homeowner to protect the businesses of his contractor buddies.

I've read lots of DIY articles and forum posts about how the local inspectors are there to help you comply with code, not to leave you guessing what they want. I guess that might be true elsewhere in the country.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A lawsuit like this has been a long time coming and is also long overdue. I really hope there is no quick settlement and plenty of evidence about the city's ridiculous practices is brought to light. As for the issue of tax dollars being spent on this lawsuit, these are some tax dollars I like to see spent, my and everyone else's taxes are so high now it hardly matters anymore.

Atomic Wings was a fairly nice storefront, far better than what was there before anyway, an improvement over the urban blight that runs rampant on Newark Avenue. The food was an improvement as well, given the various alternatives along the street. As there are more businesses with a more modern look on Newark Avenue everybody will win. It will make Jersey City a more attractive place to live and visit, better for everybody in the long run. There are so many antiquated storefronts and greasy carryouts I would like to see gone but most potential business owners are scared away by the bureaucratic hassles in JC.

I have no problem with fire and other building regulations, I know they exist for a reason. But when the building and zoning departments can't tell you up front what you need and what needs to be done to prepare a building for occupancy, then fine you or issue a stop work order later as a result of your ignorance, it makes no sense. Its like they rule by decree and it is completely unfair.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
Want to chime in here. While I am not a fan of "frivolous" lawsuits... I do think this business owner is justified.

Like many, I anxiously awaited its opening. And upon opening, frequented the establishment many times. I liked the waffle fries and their tenders were great with their mustard sauce.

Also. This business owner GAVE BACK TO THE COMMUNITY. Last year I did ad sales for Grace Church's Cathedral Arts Festival and the owner's took out an ad, no questions asked.

Now we have one less business that will give back to the community. THIS HAS TO CHANGE.

Jersey City has a problem with this particular department and if its going to take a lawsuit to address the issue and FIX it. Then that, unfortunately, has to happen.

I've read too much about this corruption... wanting payouts for doing their JOB. (that they get paid well for anyway). And unfortunately I had a first hand experience that left me going "REALLY" here? I know what they were looking for and it wasn't happening.

Unfortunately, Jersey City has this mentality or corruption that goes way way back. And this has to change.

If progress is going to continue in Jersey City, it has to become business friendly for Mom and Pops and entrepreneurs. It is business that gets people to go hey JC is a nice place.

A deserted Newark Ave with boarded up buildings is not good. Lets get businesses there.

That being said... certain things like fire codes are necessary. But looking to get paid off for doing you job that you get paid for... this has to stop. Lets figure out how to fast track businesses. Months or years of delays because you didn't get extra $$$ has to stop.

Businesses give back to community. Churches, little league, PAL, after school programs... senior programs, homeless programs.

JC HAS to become more business friendly and tax friendly. The first place I would cut would be in this department.

FG

FGJCNJ1970 for mayor!

Posted on: 2010/10/21 2:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcboyz wrote:
Its about time someone went after the ASSHOLES at the building Department!!!!!!! These guys are the worst. Every developer and business gets screwed on a daily basis and no one ever does anything about it!

SCREW YOU RAZZOLI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Fulop! If you want my vote you better clean up the trash in the building department so businesses can flourish and not be suppressed.

While your at it, give the Police Dept. a kick in the ass and start cracking down on the quality of life crimes. NO MORE LOITERING on Newark Ave would be a start.

Amen. jcboyz for Mayor!

Posted on: 2010/10/21 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I wouldn't be sure of the suit turning up outright corruption, as some of the guys seem to be honest, assholes but honest. What I would love to see is what the discovery process reveals of the random bullshit way the story went down. A timeline of coming up with new requirements on each visit would be precious.

If the city was smart it would pay them some of our money to avoid that. I hope not.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 2:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/24 5:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

srg1 wrote:
I think a lawsuit is the only way to deal with this problem. The Building Department just wants payoffs. If they don't get them, they delay things. One would think that City Hall would try to improve the process to get businesses into Jersey City to increase the tax base. But City Hall probably gets a piece of the action.

Not just the building dept. most of the agencies in JC are looking for a payoff, I remember a few years ago the fire inspectors tried to shake down our condo by scheduling fire alarm testing for our building at 6 am Sunday morning then not showing up and threatening to impose fines because the test didn't take place.

This is ironic since the person doing your inspection is the same person mentioned in this lawsuit. Yes, he works in both departments.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 1:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Want to chime in here. While I am not a fan of "frivolous" lawsuits... I do think this business owner is justified.

Like many, I anxiously awaited its opening. And upon opening, frequented the establishment many times. I liked the waffle fries and their tenders were great with their mustard sauce.

Also. This business owner GAVE BACK TO THE COMMUNITY. Last year I did ad sales for Grace Church's Cathedral Arts Festival and the owner's took out an ad, no questions asked.

Now we have one less business that will give back to the community. THIS HAS TO CHANGE.

Jersey City has a problem with this particular department and if its going to take a lawsuit to address the issue and FIX it. Then that, unfortunately, has to happen.

I've read too much about this corruption... wanting payouts for doing their JOB. (that they get paid well for anyway). And unfortunately I had a first hand experience that left me going "REALLY" here? I know what they were looking for and it wasn't happening.

Unfortunately, Jersey City has this mentality or corruption that goes way way back. And this has to change.

If progress is going to continue in Jersey City, it has to become business friendly for Mom and Pops and entrepreneurs. It is business that gets people to go hey JC is a nice place.

A deserted Newark Ave with boarded up buildings is not good. Lets get businesses there.

That being said... certain things like fire codes are necessary. But looking to get paid off for doing you job that you get paid for... this has to stop. Lets figure out how to fast track businesses. Months or years of delays because you didn't get extra $$$ has to stop.

Businesses give back to community. Churches, little league, PAL, after school programs... senior programs, homeless programs.

JC HAS to become more business friendly and tax friendly. The first place I would cut would be in this department.

FG

Posted on: 2010/10/20 23:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/11 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe because I read it there first? Maybe because I like their site better? What does it matter?

If you don't like their "regurgitation" then take it up with NJ.com, leave me out of it.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 21:36

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017