Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
85 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Tax Abatement Service Charge Liability
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Be very careful with this. I purchased in Port Liberte 15 years ago with a tax abatement. Jersey City issues two kinds of bills to me on a regular basis. The first is the Tax Abatement Service Charge Liability and the second is a standard Real Estate Tax Bill.

The Abatement bill comes twice a year but is only on the "improvements" aka the building. The Real Estate Tax is on the land only and comes 4 times a year.

My problems started when my original mortgage company decided it only needed to pay the Real Estate Taxes and not the Abatement charges. However Jersey City was sending me both bills marked "Advice Only, Do Not Pay." to my home. What I didn't realize was that they were also sending arrears notices regarding the abatement charges to my old address. Three years in, the person occupying my old address decided to forward me those notices, which included a foreclosure letter.

The mortgage company, which btw had purchased my loan, told me that they refused to pay both bills, but they also refused to let me pay both bills. On the other hand, the Jersey City Tax Office refused to start marking the Abatement charges as real bills while leaving the Real Estate Taxes as "Advice only. I paid off the 3 years of Abatement Charges and penalties. And from that point on, I paid the Abatement Charges even though they were marked "Advice Only."

My loan was eventually sold again to JPMorganChase Bank and when I re-financed with them, I made it a condition that I would carry NO escrow, and I would pay all my taxes directly.

My advice, check with the tax collectors office to see if this same situation applies. The abatements that are issued are often just for the building, not your share of the land underneath them, and you also may have 2 sets of bills.

And lastly, go to the Jersey City online tax rolls and search out your property. This can be found here

https://www.cityofjerseycity.com/WebTaxInquiry/AccountSearch.aspx

Posted on: 2010/10/17 13:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/30 23:10
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks didn't get this notice last year but I see it is paid by the bank. They really should put " This is not a bill" on it

Posted on: 2010/10/17 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Did you buy a condo that has a tax abatement? If your bank has been paying your real estate tax/tax abatement, you can ignore the letter. They really should put "This is not a bill" on these letters. I thought they used to do that.

Posted on: 2010/10/17 2:03

Tax Abatement Service Charge Liability

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/30 23:10
Group:
Registered Users
What is it? Should I pay it or send it to my mortgage company?

Posted on: 2010/10/17 1:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017