Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bed bugs in PS-16
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Bedbugs are a psychological nuisance more than an actual physical threat. If a home becomes infested it is a nightmare and very expensive to get rid of them. The extermination is NOT covered by any type of insurance. It's an issue that schools should be all over as they breed really quickly...

Posted on: 2010/10/13 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

timeforchange wrote:
So, let me get this straight. There are bed bugs at #16 school (as per the Jersey City Independent) , #22 school (as per the JJ) and how many other schools?

Where is the outrage at the lack of communication from Dr. Epps, his lackey subordinates and Board Members? Have the principals said anything?

There are obvious health implications in addition to serious financial ones if a child contracts bedbugs and brings them home.

Helloooooooooo, is anyone there?

This is inexcusable!

From what I heard, bedbugs don't carry any diseases, so the health risks (physical, that is) is pretty much nonexistant. I hear you should bag all the clothes in plastic to suffocate them and then wash the clothes and dry them in the dryer and that would kill them. Still it is pretty gross!

Posted on: 2010/10/13 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

timeforchange wrote:
So, let me get this straight. There are bed bugs at #16 school (as per the Jersey City Independent) , #22 school (as per the JJ) and how many other schools?

P.S. 8

Posted on: 2010/10/12 16:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/13 13:24
Group:
Registered Users

Where is the outrage at the lack of communication from Dr. Epps, his lackey subordinates and Board Members? Have the principals said anything?

There are obvious health implications in addition to serious financial ones if a child contracts bedbugs and brings them home.

Helloooooooooo, is anyone there?

This is inexcusable!

Posted on: 2010/10/12 16:06

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/7 22:18
Group:
Registered Users
Bedbugs at Jersey City's School 22 prompt sprayings, but not much clarity about the seriousness of the problem
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
By BRETT WILSHE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Officials are addressing a bedbug problem at School 22 in Jersey City, but administrators and parents have different understandings about the scope of the problem.

"Last week, they sent the kids home with a letter saying that two of the classrooms had bedbugs," a mother of two students at School 22 said last week. "Now the kids are coming home saying the whole school is infested."

Superintendent of Schools Charles T. Epps Jr. said Friday that parents need not panic.

"We found one bug last night (Oct. 7) on a teacher at School 22," Epps said Friday. "Once we confirm what it is with the exterminator, we will be notifying the parents about when we're going to spray."

A document from the state's Environmental Protection Agency's Integrated Pest Management Program indicates that spraying took place in several rooms at School 22 on Oct. 2.

Bedbugs was listed on the form as the reason for the spraying. Board of Education member Sterling Waterman said the school board was not told about the problem.

"Whether or not there are bedbugs in the school, we should be notified of the possibility regardless," he said. "But I have it on good authority that they knew about this and they wanted it kept quiet."

In a note addressed to Ismael Aponte, principal of School 22 on Friday, Deputy Superintendent Flavio Rubano wrote: "There have been reports of bedbugs at P.S. #22. This is to inform you that there will be a pesticide application in the school on Saturday to address the problem."

Posted on: 2010/10/12 12:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
Update from Jersey City Families From Better Schools group:
Board member Carol Lester has promised to raise this communication breakdown at the next Board of Education meeting...

Posted on: 2010/10/10 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Hiding this problem is going to GUARANTEE we have an epidemic/plague of it.

And it seems the first step is always the classic: DENIAL!

Posted on: 2010/10/8 23:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
The Sussex Street school found one bedbug on a teacher on Tuesday and exterminated that teacher's room, according to principal Terry Watkins-Williams. She says the school plans on bringing an exterminator back over the weekend, and that she and other school leaders are currently awaiting further instructions from the Jersey City school district.

Read more:
Bedbug Found at Downtown Jersey City School

Posted on: 2010/10/8 19:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
FYI - cross post from the Jersey City Families for Better Schools group : Board of Education Member Sterling Waterman has confirmed with the deputy superintendent that this rumor is true and there was a bedbug and the school was sprayed. Apparently they are sending notes home with students tonight (two days later than they should have...)

The administration needs to improve communication with parents. I am concerned that if it takes three days to communicate critical issues, then the important (but not critical) issues may not be getting communicated at all.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:
I hear there are bed bugs in PS16 and that the board knows and no one has told the parents. That this has been going on since Wednesday.

1) Directed to all: Please pass the word along to any parents who are in the dark

2) Directed to board: Why have you not told the parents. This is UNACCEPTABLE

FYI...

Last week parents of students at PS. 8 received a copy of the extermination report that stated certain classrooms were sprayed for bedbugs and it named the pesticide used. It however did not include any other information or education about bed bugs.

Maybe once they spray the school you will get SOMETHING. I am with you and I think it's unacceptable! As long as people remain in the dark about the problem it will just spread and spread.

When my son arrives home I strip him of his clothes and put them in a plastic bag under the stoop along with his backpack and jacket. I wash his clothes in hot water and dry them on high heat. I follow this with a prayer every day that we do not catch these terrible monsters.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 16:08

Bed bugs in PS-16
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hear there are bed bugs in PS16 and that the board knows and no one has told the parents. That this has been going on since Wednesday.

1) Directed to all: Please pass the word along to any parents who are in the dark

2) Directed to board: Why have you not told the parents. This is UNACCEPTABLE

Posted on: 2010/10/8 15:42

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017