Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
76 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 42 ex-con litter patrol workers to be laid off, as Second Chances Program cut.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

What a joke.........ex-cons using the 'if you don't employ me, I'll go back to crime ploy'.

Why should ex-con's be rewarded with a job and job security over law-abiding individuals who have lost their jobs in recent times.

Maybe a group of recently retrenched or laid off individuals should storm Cunningham's office and make a similar threat that if we don't get a job supplied to us, that we too will resort to crime !

Sure kick a man when he's down.

Posted on: 2010/9/13 22:09

Re: 42 ex-con litter patrol workers to be laid off, as Second Chances Program cut.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
They'll just collect unemployment benefits.

Posted on: 2010/9/13 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monday, September 13, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

One man visiting her office told her he didn't want to go back to wearing his ski mask.

"The problem is we need jobs and without jobs we're susceptible to more crime," Cunningham said.

"It costs more to house a prisoner if they go back and do the wrong thing than it does to employ them," he said.

What a joke.........ex-cons using the 'if you don't employ me, I'll go back to crime ploy'.

Why should ex-con's be rewarded with a job and job security over law-abiding individuals who have lost their jobs in recent times.

Maybe a group of recently retrenched or laid off individuals should storm Cunningham's office and make a similar threat that if we don't get a job supplied to us, that we too will resort to crime !

Posted on: 2010/9/13 15:42
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

42 ex-con litter patrol workers to be laid off, as Second Chances Program cut.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
42 ex-con litter patrol workers to be laid off, as Second Chances Program cut.

Monday, September 13, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The Jersey City Incinerator Authority has told all 42 employees in its Second Chances Program that they will be laid off Friday.

The litter patrol program for people with criminal records has been eliminated because it was funded through the city's Urban Enterprise Zone. Gov. Chris Christie has reduced the zone's budget this year.

Some of the employees showed up at state Sen. Sandra Cunningham's office Thursday with their layoff notices from Oren Dabney, the authority's chief executive.

One man visiting her office told her he didn't want to go back to wearing his ski mask.

"The problem is we need jobs and without jobs we're susceptible to more crime," Cunningham said.

Dabney said he hates to see the program end, but doesn't have the $1 million needed to pay for it, adding that he hopes the state will have a change of heart.

"It costs more to house a prisoner if they go back and do the wrong thing than it does to employ them," he said.

The program was created in 2001 by the senator's deceased husband, former Jersey City Mayor Glenn D. Cunningham. Dabney said employees pick up trash in the city's business districts. They also separate out recyclables, which generates some income for the city, he said.

Dabney said he's working with Waste Management, which has a contract for city garbage removal, and hopes some workers can find jobs there. He has also encouraged employees to attend his agency's training for snow plowing and salt spreading so they can work in the winter.

Posted on: 2010/9/13 15:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017