Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 52

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Homeless Man has Dog Taken Away
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
When your job, your savings, your self respect and sometimes your sanity are taken from you, the concept of free will has no meaning other than in the addled brain of some dimwitted priest.

A society that cares more for its pets than its people is a truly sick society.

Anyone who has trouble differentiating between a dog and a baby should be kept FAR away from both.

That's just an old story. Most "homeless" would rather stay where and how they are. Whether it's mental illness or alcoholism they seem to prefer the streets/bridges over rejoining society. That's a fact. BTW? Children are so much more annoying than any dog could ever be.

Posted on: 2010/9/12 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
When your job, your savings, your self respect and sometimes your sanity are taken from you, the concept of free will has no meaning other than in the addled brain of some dimwitted priest.

A society that cares more for its pets than its people is a truly sick society.

Anyone who has trouble differentiating between a dog and a baby should be kept FAR away from both.

Posted on: 2010/9/12 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Such a society:
Dogs are to be cared for but people are allowed to live under bridges.

Adult humans have "free-will". Dogs, like human babies, not so much.

Posted on: 2010/9/11 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Such a society:
Dogs are to be cared for but people are allowed to live under bridges.

Posted on: 2010/9/10 10:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
LoKo - different homeless encampment on Rt. 440 by Society Hill:

Body Identified as Jersey City Man

Posted on: 2010/9/10 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Didnt something happen under the bridge or in the river by the bridge this past weekend? I think they found a body in the water, was it this guy or his friend? I didnt catch the whole story but sounded like it was connected.

Posted on: 2010/9/10 1:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/21 15:28
Group:
Registered Users
Another thing I'd like to know is what the cops are doing that Mr. Leonard can set up a base camp under the bridge and no one notices. What if the Al-Quesadia set up a training camp under there? What if Mr. Leonard decided that braised Beagle is the new homeless Cordon Bleu standard and sets up an abatoir under the bridge? I demand that a cop be posted under every bridge 24/7 before something horrible happens and either the terrorists or the homeless win!

Posted on: 2010/9/7 23:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/21 15:28
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe he was raising that dog like livestock for the upcoming winter. That jerk with a badge should have left them alone. Now Mr. Leonard has to go hungry. How wuold you feel if someone impounded your Christmas dinner?

Posted on: 2010/9/7 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, if you read the article it says that you infact offered his friend the money ... he was supposed to be watching the dog for Leonoard. So..... when you offer a homeless man 25.00 for a dog that's not his... chances are he's gonna take it... not very nice man

Posted on: 2010/9/7 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
If you adopt a baboon, I'll walk him free of charge just so I can say I walk a baboon. Quote:
jcnight wrote: Quote:
Classon wrote: This guy probably took better care of his dog than most people around here, leaving the poor animals locked up all day while they're at work. Dogs are not city animals.
I agree. Maybe all dog owners should consider a horse or say a baboon. I think our dog walkers and pet care providers would be much happier walking them during the day while we are working. What a Dumb Ass thing to say! Heres a thought for you to ponder: The berbs,farm country, etc, have houses with doors on them that pets are kept in while the good folks work! Hello... They have no idea if they are in the city or sitting inside the Vatican. Do you think that a dog is better off tied up outside? Ummm NO... [img align=right]Photobucket[/img]

Posted on: 2010/9/7 5:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/9 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
How comforting to here our ACO say that it doesn't pay to care. Actually, isn't that exactly what you are paid to do?

A person who cannot be sure that they will be able to provide a meal for themselves should not have the responsibility of having to feed and care for another. What if the dog had become ill or injured? Caring for the animal was exactly the right thing to do. You did the right thing by taking it and LHS did the right thing adopting him out to someone who could take care of him. My only regret is in the politically charged environment that LHS finds itself in today means that they have to change that policy.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 4:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Classon wrote: This guy probably took better care of his dog than most people around here, leaving the poor animals locked up all day while they're at work. Dogs are not city animals.
I agree. Maybe all dog owners should consider a horse or say a baboon. I think our dog walkers and pet care providers would be much happier walking them during the day while we are working. What a Dumb Ass thing to say! Heres a thought for you to ponder: The berbs,farm country, etc, have houses with doors on them that pets are kept in while the good folks work! Hello... They have no idea if they are in the city or sitting inside the Vatican. Do you think that a dog is better off tied up outside? Ummm NO... [img align=right]Photobucket[/img]

Posted on: 2010/9/7 3:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/7 5:19
Group:
Registered Users
The homeless man, who I confronted at the time of finding this dog tied to a pole, told me that he found the dog about 2 days ago. I believed him considering the fact that he told me that he lives under the bridge with his friend and the dog look like it was just recently groomed not to mention the fact that the dog was also neutered. So I offer him a $25 finder fee as a reward if he wants to turn the dog over to the animal pound in which he did based on his own choice. He told me that he needs the money more than the dog.

It just goes to show that if you feel bad about the predicament a homeless person is in and you try to make them feel good about what they did for a stray dog (by caring for it for 2-days), just don?t do it; it really doesn?t pay to care.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 3:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/4 1:43
Group:
Banned
This guy probably took better care of his dog than most people around here, leaving the poor animals locked up all day while they're at work. Dogs are not city animals.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 3:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Sorry they took his dog but leaving the poor thing tied up outside alone on the street? During the recent heatwave? Perhaps this guy is not as capable as he claims in taking care of this dog.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 3:03

Homeless Man has Dog Taken Away
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
THIS IS PRETTY HEARTBREAKING, ON NJ.COM IT HAS PICS OF THE GUY CRYING FOR HIS DOG, I DONT KNOW WHAT TO THINK.... RIGHT OR WRONG..

Reena Rose Sibayan/The Jersey JournalWilliam C. Leonard Jr., a homeless man who lives under a bridge in Jersey City, says he's heartbroken since his dog, Franklin, was taken away by the city animal control officer.

A homeless man whose dog was taken away by Jersey City's animal control officer is demanding its return -- but the pet has already been adopted, according to officials.

William C. Leonard Jr., who lives underneath the Shawn Carson and Robert Nguyen Memorial Bridge, claims that Franklin, a beagle/basset hound mix, was given to him and another homeless friend early last month by a man who would sometimes fish under the bridge.

Leonard, 49, a former county and city worker, said the man also gave them a bag of dog food and the dog's veterinary records.

"I fell in love with him," Leonard said, describing Franklin as his "friend" and "baby."
The dog was taken away on Aug. 6 after concerned neighbors noticed the dog tied to a pole for some time in front of 183 Mallory Place, one door down from the EZ-Market Liquor Store, said Joseph Frank, the city's animal control officer.

"He (the dog) looked pretty clean. He had to have been recently given to them or found," he said. Frank says he offered Leonard's friend, who claimed the dog was his, a finder's fee of $25, which the man accepted and then turned over the dog.

But Leonard and his friend, who declined to give his name, turned up at the Liberty Humane Society animal shelter the following day demanding the dog be returned. Leonard said he provided the dog's veterinary records as proof of ownership, but was not given the dog because he is homeless.

"I've got all my faculties about me. I'm not an idiot. I'm just homeless," said Leonard, who believes he is capable of taking care of the pet. "I want my dog back."

Reena Rose Sibayan/The Jersey JournalWilliam Leonard, a Jersey City homeless man whose dog has been taken away, breaks down and cries as he talks about how much he misses his dog Franklin.

Interim Executive Director Nikki Dawson confirmed that shelter management at the time did not want to release the dog to Leonard because he is homeless and said the dog was adopted on Aug. 18.

"He shouldn't be punished because he happens to be homeless," said Freeholder Bill O'Dea, who tried to help Leonard. "Obviously he was able to care for the dog for a substantial amount of time before (Animal Control) got involved."

Dawson, who was appointed to her post on Aug. 23 for a 60-day period, said that the shelter has since changed its policy.

"I would have returned the dog and from now on, if someone has proof of ownership, the animal will be returned to them," Dawson said.

And it's possible, she said, Leonard and Franklin could be reunited.

"There's always the possibility that the current owner might give up the pet, but that's very difficult." she said.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 1:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017