Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Fire Chief puts in papers to retire -- position might not be refilled
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

He's blaming personnel shortages within the department for his departure. And Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy is saying due to the economic straights the city finds itself in, O'Reilly might not be replaced.

"Due to our ongoing economic situation, no final decision has been made as to whether the position will be filled," Healy said in a statement.

O'Reilly, a Bayonne resident, cited "the frustration of not being able to keep the department at the level it was" as his primary reason for setting a retirement date.

"I'm really very concerned about their safety going forward and for the people of Jersey City," he added.

The fire chief would rather have the department operate without a chief than finding a way to manage his department during these hard economic times. That demonstrates great leadership to just give up and walk away with a huge pension rather working through a difficult situation. I hang my head in utter shame and disgust.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 1:57
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Re: Jersey City Fire Chief puts in papers to retire -- position might not be refilled
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Get your cushy pension now.... cause a wind of change is coming...

Hopefully they can fix the pension system and make it so that all these scamers get busted - retiring to get mega-bucks.

And I want to see time sheets for every day worked. Cause no walking away with all these damn sick days.

Someone just needs to say the pension system is bankrupt and put in a new system where govt employees fund their retirements similar to the private sector.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 23:57

Jersey City Fire Chief puts in papers to retire -- position might not be refilled
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Fire Chief puts in papers to retire

Wednesday, August 25, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

During his nearly 30-year tenure with Jersey City, Fire Chief Michael O'Reilly has lived through a number of changes.

He saw the department expand following the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks to include marine and high-rise units and apparatus to fight chemical fires.

Although he's only been chief for 21/2 years, and at 49, wouldn't be forced to retire for another 16 years, O'Reilly is calling it quits on Sept. 1.

He's blaming personnel shortages within the department for his departure. And Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy is saying due to the economic straights the city finds itself in, O'Reilly might not be replaced.

"Due to our ongoing economic situation, no final decision has been made as to whether the position will be filled," Healy said in a statement.

Healy praised O'Reilly's service to the city saying he earned the respect of his peers and the city administration during his many years on-the-line as a fireman and later as a supervisor.

"We wish him all the best in his retirement and future endeavors," Healy said.

Jersey City is down 150 firefighters since O'Reilly became chief. The majority of the departures came after Gov. Chris Christie was elected last year and lobbied to cap payouts for unused time at $15,000.

O'Reilly, a Bayonne resident, cited "the frustration of not being able to keep the department at the level it was" as his primary reason for setting a retirement date.

"I'm really very concerned about their safety going forward and for the people of Jersey City," he added.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 15:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017