Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
85 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Two sheep found in Jersey City to be returned to farm life
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Muslims who can afford to do so sacrifice their best domestic animals (usually sheep, but also camels, cows and goats) as a symbol of Ibrahim's sacrifice.
Eid al-Adha is celebrated annually on the 10th day of the month of Dhul Hijja (happens to be our 12th month) of the lunar Islamic calendar.

I bet this is how sheep ended up in JC. Glad they were rescued. Every religion as some point had a custom of sacrifice, some however, just refuse to let theirs evolve.

Posted on: 2009/12/25 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image
Resized Image

Newton farm animal rescue group picks up two sheep found in Jersey City

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
December 23, 2009, 8:00PM

Fe Fe, one of two sheep found in Jersey City earlier this month, will have a new home at an animal sanctuary in Newton.

Fe Fe and Bon Bon, two sheep found in Jersey City earlier this month, headed baaaak to farm living today after spending two weeks mowing the lawn at the Liberty Humane Society near Liberty State Park.

"It kinda feels like a nativity scene with the two sheep here and the snow," said Debbie Viney, the volunteer and special events coordinator at the humane society.

Around 3:15 p.m., Kelly Simonetti of Antler Ridge Wildlife Sanctuary in Newton arrived at the shelter and Fe Fe and Bon Bon were loaded into her SUV and driven away toward greener pastures.

After being found on Dec. 2, the two were an odd site for commuters on the New Jersey Turnpike Extension who caught glimpses of them behind the shelter grazing on grass and nibbling on bails of hay. People visiting the shelter to adopt a cat or dog were also caught off guard by the small sheep.

Bon Bon the sheep is led from the Liberty Humane Society in Jersey City to an SUV headed for an animal sanctuary in Newton.
"We have to explain they are not furry, ugly dogs," said Janet Russell, director of the Humane Society. "We've had sheep before, and a goat."

But the list of unusual animals that have mingled with the cats and dogs at the shelter is longer than that.

Pigeons, seagulls, rabbits, geese, hamsters and even an iguana have been among the guests hosted at the shelter in the past, Russell said.

"The iguana petrified some of the staff that have no problem dealing with the most fierce dogs," Russell said.

Simonetti's sanctuary focuses on rescuing wildlife and farm animals and is supported by donations, she said.

Jersey City Animal Control Officer Joe Frank said his office got a call saying someone was keeping sheep on St. Pauls Avenue west of Kennedy Boulevard. Workers from his department responded and found them in a pen. The owner has not been identified.

It is illegal to keep farm animals in Jersey City, officials note.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Earlier this month there was the remarkable story of a dear that swam from Jersey City to Governors Island. This account of the sheep and another in this thread of a couple of goats. I myself see a lot of red tailed hawks overhead, Gophers, (or are they Groundhogs?) peeping out of the hillsides around town and lets not forget the mouse in my kitchen. Someone not too far off has some illegal chicken coup- I know since I can hear the cock crow in the summer when the windows are open. I love that sound! Someone else nearby keeps trained pigeons on their roof and I love to see the distinctive and unmistakable flock swooping around the nearby rooftops in tight formation. It makes you realize how amazing this city is. It?s 2010 and still there are livestock and wild beasts roaming around!

Posted on: 2009/12/24 5:38

Two sheep found in Jersey City to be returned to farm life
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Sheep found in Jersey City to be returned to farm life

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
December 23, 2009, 1:18PM

Fe Fe and Bon Bon, two sheep rescued from a Jersey City warehouse earlier this month, are going baaaack to farm living today, thanks to a rescue agency specializing in farm animals, officials said.

On Dec. 2, Jersey City Animal Control officers found the sheep and took them to the Liberty Humane Society shelter near Liberty State Park, LHS manager Jillian Walters told The Jersey Journal today.

Both sheep appear to be healthy, Walters said, adding that the sheep have been tethered outside the shelter and are eating grass and occasionally hay.

One sheep is white and the other brown, but Walters said she does not know what type of sheep they are or how old they may be.

Fe Fe and Bon Bon aren't the first farm animals to stay at the shelter that's normally home to dogs and cats. Walters said two goats passed through the shelter last year.

The sheep are to be picked up by the rescue agency between 2 and 3 p.m.

More information will be available later.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 0:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017