Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
91 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Assemblyman Chiappone (& Wife) Indicted on Seven Criminal Counts
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently, the "public trust" is deemed a non-issue for a growing swath of our elected officials, especially those indicted and/or criminally charged for offenses relating to their elective offices. Yes, the presumption of innocence is a legal right. But holding a public office is not a right -- it is a temporary responsibility, held solely at the consent of the governed. And a criminal indictment cuts to the heart of the "public trust," with the government itself (and a convening of grand jurors) alleging grave misdeeds that have violated the public welfare.

Here's the latest:

Chiappone, back at work, rebuffs Roberts
[from PolitickerNJ.com, August 27, 2009, 5:33 p.m.]

Assemblyman Anthony Chiappone (D-Bayonne) today fired back at Assembly Speaker Joseph Roberts (D-Camden), who yesterday called on him to resign after he was indicted for allegedly funneling his aides' state-issued checks into his personal and campaign bank accounts.

?There is a ?presumption of innocence? which is a constitutional right of anyone charged. In your capacity as Speaker, as a fellow lawmaker, you have chosen to ignore that basic democratic philosophy and constitutional right because of an assumption of guilt and not of innocence,? wrote Chiappone.

One day after being indicted -- but not arrested -- Chiappone was back in his legislative.

?Of course working without pay and benefits,? he said in a phone interview. Those were also suspended by Roberts, who took away his committee assignments as well.

Chiappone, who is serving his second non-consecutive term and running for reelection, proclaimed his innocence and said he will not resign

In his letter to Roberts, he went on to say that ?my years of service and dedication to the public that has voted me into office warrants that I receive that basic consideration, yes even in spit of the inconvenience and ?embarrassment? that the ?party? may have to endure? And while I respect you as the Speaker of the House, no one man should determine who should resign. The directive to serve or not to serve should come only from the voters."

Chiappone, who won the Democratic nomination for a second term in June on the Hudson County Democratic Organization?s (HCDO) line, said that aside from Corzine and Roberts, he has not felt pressure to resign from other politicians.

That could change soon. A drum beat for Chiappone?s resignation will likely come from Bayonne, where his rival, Mark Smith, is mayor.

One of Chiappone?s closest allies, Bayonne Councilman Gary La Pelusa, was the aide mentioned in the Attorney General?s complaint against Chiappone, although he has not been charged.

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, who chairs the HCDO, issued a brief statement on Chiappone.

?Right now we are in discussions with other members of the Hudson County Democratic delegation and our legal counsel to determine what action, if any, can be taken,? he said.

Although Healy brokered a successful slate in that included Chiappone in 2007, the two have never been close, and Chiappone?s relationship with the party has been rocky. But since Healy has refused to call for the resignation of arrested Jersey City Council President Mariano Vega, he may have a hard time publicly calling for Chiappone to step aside.

State Sen. Sandra Cunningham (D-Jersey City), who is credited with saving Chiappone from being thrown off the party line earlier this year, said she plans to sit down with him to discuss whether he should continue on within the next couple days.

?I think in times like this, as difficult as it is, I basically believe people are innocent until proven guilty. I think people have sort of forgotten that these days,? she said.

Chiappone, for his part, said his prosecution was politically motivated, though he did not want to go into detail.

?All I would say is that certainly the investigation was started through a political opponent?s complaint. But at this time I have to focus on responding to the charges in a court of law,? he said.

-- Matt Friedman

Posted on: 2009/8/28 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Chiappone's lawyer, Tim Howes, said ...
"He didn't steal from anyone,...He didn't take anything for his own benefit."
He said Chiappone will not resign and intends to win reelection in November.

"I am expecting the worst quite honestly," said Chiappone, when reached by the Jersey Journal this afternoon

-- Chris Megerian, Statehouse Bureau

??
I think they have get on the same page here.

Posted on: 2009/8/26 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
AND THEY ALL FALL DOWN !

Posted on: 2009/8/26 21:48

Assemblyman Chiappone (& Wife) Indicted on Seven Criminal Counts
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
N.J. Assemblyman Anthony Chiappone is charged with campaign finance misconduct

from "The Jersey Journal," August 26, 2009, 3:53 p.m.

TRENTON -- Assemblyman Anthony Chiappone and his wife were indicted today for depositing state-issued paychecks for legislative workers into their personal bank accounts and Chiappone's 2005 campaign fund.

At a press conference today announcing the charges, New Jersey Attorney General Anne Milgram said almost $5,000 was funneled into the Chiappones' personal account, while more than $3,000 was put toward the Hudson County Democrat's election campaign.

"This indictment chronicles a betrayal of the public trust by this elected official," Milgram said.

Thirteen checks totaling $7,532.96 were paid to one aide, while another check for $629.47 was issued to a campaign volunteer who state officials said was not an aide. Neither person was identified or charged.

The seven-count indictment includes charges of conspiracy, official misconduct, theft by deception, tampering with public records, falsifying records and concealment of campaign contributions.

Chiappone, of Bayonne, began his current legislative term in 2008, and previously held an Assembly seat from 2004-2005. Chiappone resigned from his city council seat in April, a position he had held since 2002.

Chiappone represents the 31st legislative district alongside Assemblyman L. Harvey Smith, who was arrested in July's corruption and money laundering sting that netted 44 people.

In April, Chiappone confirmed he was under investigation for allegedly forging signatures of Assembly aides on paychecks and cashing them. Chiappone said five former and one current Assembly aide informed the lawmaker that state investigators visited them to show them copies of canceled checks and ask them to verify their signatures.

Chiappone's lawyer, Tim Howes, said both defendants intend to plead not guilty and "vigorously contest the charges."

"He didn't steal from anyone," Howes said. "He didn't take anything for his own benefit."

He said Chiappone will not resign and intends to win reelection in November.

"People recognize that he serves Bayonne very well," Howes said. "This is a political witch hunt. It's not going to cause him to lose any election."

Prior to today's press conference, Chiappone said he was not expecting good news.

"I am expecting the worst quite honestly," said Chiappone, when reached by the Jersey Journal this afternoon prior to the announcement. "They don't have a press conference for no reason."

-- Chris Megerian, Statehouse Bureau

Posted on: 2009/8/26 20:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017