Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NYTimes: Bloomberg Backs Jersey City Mayor for Re-election
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OottaBahr wrote:
Healy said. ?I view New York City as a big brother. If New York City does well, Jersey City does well.?

If that's the case, why is NYC generally clean and JC is filed with garbage?

Because JC has many more people who don't know how to use a trash can.

Posted on: 2009/4/18 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
What a shame, Bloomberg is very good mayor and Healy is a shitty mayor.

Posted on: 2009/4/18 13:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Newark?s Mayor Backs Bloomberg

New York Times
Article Tools Sponsored By
Published: April 17, 2009

If only New Jersey could vote in New York City elections.

Or so Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg may be wishing, after securing the endorsement on Friday of Cory A. Booker, the high-profile mayor of New Jersey?s largest city, Newark. Mr. Booker?s endorsement came the day after Jerramiah T. Healy , the mayor of Jersey City, was the guest of honor at a fund-raiser at Mr. Bloomberg?s town house on the Upper East Side.

Both Mr. Booker and Mr. Healy, who faces re-election on May 12, are Democrats. But both have worked closely with Mr. Bloomberg, an independent who will run on the Republican line in November, on gun control and other issues. Indeed, Mr. Booker appeared at a news conference with Mr. Bloomberg in Harlem on Friday afternoon and paid the New York mayor what he said was his ?highest compliment?: ?He has become truly a great American.?

In particular, Mr. Booker, who turns 40 on April 27, praised Mr. Bloomberg?s record on crime, education and economic development. And he said that Mr. Bloomberg had ? by focusing on pragmatic solutions, not ideological ones ? become a role model for younger mayors like him around the country.

?Mayor Bloomberg is simply the model in America,? Mr. Booker said.

Posted on: 2009/4/18 3:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/5 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
want some peanut butter with that fluff?

Posted on: 2009/4/11 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Common sense politician? Appreciation for regional cooperation? I'm pretty sure Bloomberg just called Healy a "mentally-challenged tool.".

Posted on: 2009/4/11 14:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 8:40
Group:
Banned
Healy said. ?I view New York City as a big brother. If New York City does well, Jersey City does well.?

If that's the case, why is NYC generally clean and JC is filed with garbage?

Posted on: 2009/4/11 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
New York Times
April 10, 2009
By David W. Chen

Bloomberg Backs Jersey City Mayor for Re-election

Who says that New York and New Jersey can?t make nice?

Sure, the two have their rivalries in sports. Sure, the two have quarreled bitterly over all sorts of economic and political issues, as exemplified by a sovereignty battle in the 1990s over Ellis Island, during which former Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani declared that his father, an Italian immigrant, had had New York, not New Jersey, on his mind.

But these days, when it comes to New York City and Jersey City, at least, the relationship is quite good. So good, in fact, that Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg is holding a $1,000-a-head fund-raiser for Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy of Jersey City on Thursday at Mr. Bloomberg?s Upper East Side townhouse.

Mr. Bloomberg doesn?t throw open his townhouse for political fund-raisers all that often. But Deputy Mayor Kevin Sheekey described Mr. Healy as a common-sense politician who had shown an early appreciation of the value of regional cooperation on issues like transportation and economic development.

?He is certainly supportive of Mayor Healy?s re-election, and he?s offered to campaign for him if asked,? Mr. Sheekey said.

It is the first time that Mr. Bloomberg, an independent who is hoping to run for a third term in November as a Republican, has held such an event for Mr. Healy, a Democrat who is heavily favored to win re-election on May 12. But it is hardly geographical proximity that has made the mayors allies: they were part of the original coalition that launched Mayors Against Illegal Guns, and Mr. Healy was one of the few politicians outside the city to support Mr. Bloomberg?s congestion-pricing plan.

?He is in his own way a maverick,? Mr. Sheekey said of Mr. Healy.

The two have traveled across the river to promote anti-gun initiatives; Mr. Healy went to Gracie Mansion in 2006, and Mr. Bloomberg headed to Jersey City?s City Hall in 2007.

In an interview, Mr. Healy said he was flattered by Mr. Bloomberg?s support: ?I think Mike?s doing a terrific job. I?ve been a huge fan.?

Mr. Healy also said he would enthusiastically do whatever he could to help Mr. Bloomberg win in November, even against a Democrat

?Anything that Mike asked me to do, I?d do, whether he?s a Republican, Democrat or independent,? Mr. Healy said. ?We certainly have similar philosophies.?

Their bonds are not just political, either.

Mr. Bloomberg?s mother grew up in Jersey City and attended Dickinson High School. Mr. Sheekey has strong Jersey City roots, too: His parents were close to Mr. Healy?s family, and some of Mr. Sheekey?s relatives worked for Jersey City?s legendary (and controversial) mayor, Frank Hague.

?Many of my predecessors viewed New York City as a competitor, but I couldn?t disagree more,? Mr. Healy said. ?I view New York City as a big brother. If New York City does well, Jersey City does well.?

Isn't that a first for a NYC Mayor to really support a JC Mayor?

I didn't know Bloomberg was such a Healy fan - nor did I know Bloomberg's mom went to Dickerson High!

Can we rename Newark Avenue after her?
Resized Image
Hmmm....Charlotte Rubens Bloomberg:
Charlotte Lane -- Rubens Road -- Bloomberg Avenue???

Posted on: 2009/4/11 13:14

NYTimes: Bloomberg Backs Jersey City Mayor for Re-election
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
April 10, 2009, 12:13 pm

Bloomberg Backs Jersey City Mayor for Re-election

By David W. Chen

Who says that New York and New Jersey can?t make nice?

Sure, the two have their rivalries in sports. Sure, the two have quarreled bitterly over all sorts of economic and political issues, as exemplified by a sovereignty battle in the 1990s over Ellis Island, during which former Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani declared that his father, an Italian immigrant, had had New York, not New Jersey, on his mind.

But these days, when it comes to New York City and Jersey City, at least, the relationship is quite good. So good, in fact, that Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg is holding a $1,000-a-head fund-raiser for Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy of Jersey City on Thursday at Mr. Bloomberg?s Upper East Side townhouse.

Mr. Bloomberg doesn?t throw open his townhouse for political fund-raisers all that often. But Deputy Mayor Kevin Sheekey described Mr. Healy as a common-sense politician who had shown an early appreciation of the value of regional cooperation on issues like transportation and economic development.

?He is certainly supportive of Mayor Healy?s re-election, and he?s offered to campaign for him if asked,? Mr. Sheekey said.

It is the first time that Mr. Bloomberg, an independent who is hoping to run for a third term in November as a Republican, has held such an event for Mr. Healy, a Democrat who is heavily favored to win re-election on May 12. But it is hardly geographical proximity that has made the mayors allies: they were part of the original coalition that launched Mayors Against Illegal Guns, and Mr. Healy was one of the few politicians outside the city to support Mr. Bloomberg?s congestion-pricing plan.

?He is in his own way a maverick,? Mr. Sheekey said of Mr. Healy.

The two have traveled across the river to promote anti-gun initiatives; Mr. Healy went to Gracie Mansion in 2006, and Mr. Bloomberg headed to Jersey City?s City Hall in 2007.

In an interview, Mr. Healy said he was flattered by Mr. Bloomberg?s support: ?I think Mike?s doing a terrific job. I?ve been a huge fan.?

Mr. Healy also said he would enthusiastically do whatever he could to help Mr. Bloomberg win in November, even against a Democrat

?Anything that Mike asked me to do, I?d do, whether he?s a Republican, Democrat or independent,? Mr. Healy said. ?We certainly have similar philosophies.?

Their bonds are not just political, either.

Mr. Bloomberg?s mother grew up in Jersey City and attended Dickinson High School. Mr. Sheekey has strong Jersey City roots, too: His parents were close to Mr. Healy?s family, and some of Mr. Sheekey?s relatives worked for Jersey City?s legendary (and controversial) mayor, Frank Hague.

?Many of my predecessors viewed New York City as a competitor, but I couldn?t disagree more,? Mr. Healy said. ?I view New York City as a big brother. If New York City does well, Jersey City does well.?

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/200 ... ty-mayor-for-re-election/

Posted on: 2009/4/11 0:16

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017