Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Coach Bob Hurley and St. Anthony High School basketball on CBS News Sunday Morning

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 11:37
Group:
Registered Users
Bump

Posted on: 2009/4/7 15:41

Re: Coach Bob Hurley and St. Anthony High School basketball on CBS News Sunday Morning
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Very well done Coach Bob Hurley!!! A+

Posted on: 2009/4/6 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Hurley's program was the subject of an outstanding book a few years ago "The Miracle of St. Anthony"

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-St-Anth ... -Improbable/dp/1592401023

St. Anthony is one of the top HS basketball programs in the country. And although Hurley does recruit some outside residents, it is nothing like Oak Hill Academy or other prep schools that serve as basketball factories. I can't speak for this year's roster, but generally most of the kids have been from Hudson County.

Coach Hurley could have made buckets of money by taking a college gig, and no one would begrudge him for doing so after what he's done for St. Anthony. So please lets put the cynicism aside for one brief moment and appreciate how much this man has given to the school and the community, even if he does take a few outside prospects.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
It was a nice story - I did not know anything about this man till I saw the segment this morning. Well done. I'm not into sports at all - it has always puzzled me on how much importance is placed on people playing games - but I do understand it, and it works well with these kids. I think that he is doing a great job by remaining in JC and doing this despite many attempts to get him to coach for much more money at the college level.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 0:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
Saw the story and enjoyed it. If you've seen Hurley coach you'd know he's quite a character, and it's evident he has been an inspiration to many young men, helping them aspire to and obtain a college education.

I told my brother--a big HS basketball fan--about the segment, and with his typical cynicism he said something like, "Let me guess, Hurley's still going on about helping the kids of Jersey City? You know none of the starting five are from NJ this season."

I can't verify this statement, but I do know that the 3 big additions to the team this year--Collier, Williams, and Panky--transferred from high schools in the Bronx or Staten Island. Hurley's recruiting efforts have certainly been crossing rivers in recent years . . . not to say he doesn't have love for JC. Go Friars!

Posted on: 2009/4/5 21:44

Coach Bob Hurley and St. Anthony High School basketball on CBS News Sunday Morning

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 11:37
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the video link to a story on Coach Bob Hurley and St. Anthony High School basketball that ran this morning on CBS News Sunday Morning.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/04/03/sunday/main4917067.shtml

Posted on: 2009/4/5 18:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017