Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Jersey City: Fishbowl of my ancestors

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/6 6:48
From LA
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

I'm writing from LA but grew up in Jersey (in the suburbs, up Rt. 23). My paternal Irish and some German ancestors (as I have recently discovered while doing family history research) were all from Jersey City, or migrated there from Ireland or elsewhere in the US long before 1900. Finding out about them and locations related to them is like shooting fish in a barrel.

I'm related to families such as Mara, Murphy, Small, McAdam, Reilly, Buss, Norton, etc. Many are buried in Holy Name; others in Bayview.

My only personal forays into JC have been to Liberty State Park (of course!), once in the early '90s and once last summer. Otherwise, all of my research has been done online from across the country.

Google Street View has made it possible to virtually drive up and down various JC streets without fear of harm and see the homes and businesses related to my relatives, most of which locations are still there, mostly unchanged.

My point in posting here is to see if any of you are history buffs or simply JC residents interested in discussing these locations and helping me find info about them. If so, I can provide a list of local addresses and we'll go from there.

Thanks! Mike

PS: My great-great-grandfather John Small died at 71 while supervising the construction of sewers in Bayonne (1901)! Another branch of the family owned the same house on Ocean Ave. for over 60 years, same situation with one on Fairview Ave.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 2:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017