Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: New PATH Flat Screens
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
All of this would be a lot more useful if the information was provided before you entered the station. If you have 25 minutes before the next train, it might be worth not entering the station for another 22 minutes.

I really wish there was a giant countdown clock at the World Trade Center so you didn't have to go all the way into the bottom before realizing the train just left and you have another 15 minutes to waste.

I always stand why break someone's fall reason being if you are sitting and some big gargantuan falls over and lands on you...crush. Also some woman had an epileptic fit, she twirled, then dropped, luckily there was a PATH agent on that middle car so he called for help on his radio.

Posted on: 2009/8/6 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
All of this would be a lot more useful if the information was provided before you entered the station. If you have 25 minutes before the next train, it might be worth not entering the station for another 22 minutes.

I really wish there was a giant countdown clock at the World Trade Center so you didn't have to go all the way into the bottom before realizing the train just left and you have another 15 minutes to waste.

Posted on: 2009/8/6 14:47

Re: New PATH Flat Screens - Great news!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Robocub wrote:
GREAT NEWS!!!! It actually pays sometimes to complain to the right place. Sometimes we all get caught up with bitching to each other and into the air. If people could only focus that bitching and direct to the right place, we might actually get things done. I'm glad I put this topic up on the boards.

I received this on Twitter from Pathtweet yesterday...
[Next scheduled train departs at [time]" msg coming to PATHVISION year-end. Sked info coming shortly thereafter. #PANYNJ]

I'm not sure why it should take so long to implement this but I'm glad it's getting done. Finally something productive and useful from Path. Although I really don't know why this wasn't a first thought and not an afterthought at the prodding of the public.

This would be good at the WTC PATH station at least for those that go to Exchange Place from there because both train routes go to Exchange which is the first stop along the route.

Posted on: 2009/8/6 14:43

Re: New PATH Flat Screens - Great news!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/29 11:21
From Jersey City, Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
GREAT NEWS!!!! It actually pays sometimes to complain to the right place. Sometimes we all get caught up with bitching to each other and into the air. If people could only focus that bitching and direct to the right place, we might actually get things done. I'm glad I put this topic up on the boards.

I received this on Twitter from Pathtweet yesterday...
[Next scheduled train departs at [time]" msg coming to PATHVISION year-end. Sked info coming shortly thereafter. #PANYNJ]

I'm not sure why it should take so long to implement this but I'm glad it's getting done. Finally something productive and useful from Path. Although I really don't know why this wasn't a first thought and not an afterthought at the prodding of the public.

Posted on: 2009/8/6 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
Huh, I didnt know that. I was going off what was in this book: http://www.curledup.com/worksana.htm

Which is an absolutely stupid good book if you like this sort of stuff.

I almost bought that last year. It seemed pretty good flipping through it.

I think its pretty telling though that the three 24/7 transit systems are in the Metropolitan region. Now if only SEPTA ran as late as NJTransit did on the weekends...

Posted on: 2009/7/27 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
Yeah, i was shocked to learn that our subway system here (PATH and MTA) is the only 24 hour subway system in the world! I will take a ton of warts in stride and call our system better just on that fact alone.

Not entirely true. PATCO between Philly and NJ is also 24 hours.

Huh, I didnt know that. I was going off what was in this book: http://www.curledup.com/worksana.htm

Which is an absolutely stupid good book if you like this sort of stuff.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 15:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/10 15:51
From The Cove
Group:
Registered Users
i wasn't really complaining about our system here, as much as just mentioning the things i liked about the london tube system that we don't have, i agree that our system is great, especially now that we have things like metro cards ( the token system used to kill me)..path was ahead of mta with that stuff too.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCSHEP wrote:
Yeah, i was shocked to learn that our subway system here (PATH and MTA) is the only 24 hour subway system in the world! I will take a ton of warts in stride and call our system better just on that fact alone.

Not entirely true. PATCO between Philly and NJ is also 24 hours.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

southside wrote:
was just in london and can't believe how much more advanced their transit system is than our on so many levels, especially the message boards that tell you when the next train will arrive in the station, if the new flat screens had that info i wouldn't care where my fare money went

Sure, but the Tube shuts down at night, so maybe its not that advanced.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

southside wrote:
was just in london and can't believe how much more advanced their transit system is than our on so many levels, especially the message boards that tell you when the next train will arrive in the station, if the new flat screens had that info i wouldn't care where my fare money went

Sure, but the Tube shuts down at night, so maybe its not that advanced.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 14:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/10 15:51
From The Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/27 14:26

Re: Path actually believes their own rhetoric
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Robocub wrote:
I copied this from the Path website FAQ.

1. Why can?t PATH operate more trains overnight?
PATH understands that some riders may not be satisfied with the frequency of late-night weekday and weekend service, as well as with route changes through Hoboken during off-peak hours. The 30-minute schedule used during overnight hours is designed to permit necessary track, signal and station maintenance, while minimizing disruptions to the system?s overall service during peak periods. While it will not be possible to make widespread changes, we are reviewing whether any extra trains may be added in the future during off-peak hours.

I've travelled late night and experience the horrendous overcrowding of trains and long delays between trains. And not once have I ever witnessed the so called maintenance they talk about.

The real reason is they don't want to spend the money. Both 33rd to JSQ and WTC to NWK are double track lines, and lines frequently operate on only one track late at night, meaning 50% of the service is not being used at any given time. While on some occasions it would be necessary to have access to both tracks on a given line, such as terminus switches where both lines are connected by a switch, on most nights the choice to operate trains on a 30 minute schedule is largely financial.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 13:31

Re: Path actually believes their own rhetoric
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Robocub wrote:

The 30-minute schedule used during overnight hours is designed to permit necessary track, signal and station maintenance, while minimizing disruptions to the system?s overall service during peak periods.
I've travelled late night and experience the horrendous overcrowding of trains and long delays between trains. And not once have I ever witnessed the so called maintenance they talk about.

Hind Sight is 20/20, where do you expect to spot the workers ? Certainly not along the way.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 13:00

Path actually believes their own rhetoric
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

PATH understands that some riders may not be satisfied with the frequency of late-night weekday and weekend service, as well as with route changes through Hoboken during off-peak hours. The 30-minute schedule used during overnight hours is designed to permit necessary track, signal and station maintenance, while minimizing disruptions to the system?s overall service during peak periods. While it will not be possible to make widespread changes, we are reviewing whether any extra trains may be added in the future during off-peak hours.

Posted on: 2009/7/25 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
oh, an Bernie Weigenblast and the new twatttt yammering her recorded message!

This was actually going to be a part of a future Path Nemesis thread contribution... If you're ever in the path for an extended period of time, you probably hear this message like 50 times...

"...I'm traffic report Debbie Duhane, reminding you that..."
"...be alert, stay aware, if you see any suspicious activity..."
"...blah blah blah"
Pause. Repeat.

Anyway - you would think it wouldn't kill NBC/PATH/or whoever owns those TVs to load the path schedule into whatever computer is generating the ads and have the upcoming trains on a crawl at the bottom or on a sidebar on the TV...From a purely capitalistic perspective, wouldn't the presence of that information cause more people to actually *look* that the TV and then perhaps inadvertently view an advertisement?

Posted on: 2009/7/24 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Quote:
yeah, but it's NBC's money, so who cares?

No, No, No....we are paying double fares for this privilege.
We certainly din;t get the longer stations ans trains that were promised. These TV's that report NOTHING are precisely what we bought...oh, an Bernie Weigenblast and the new twatttt yammering her recorded message!
If I had to get technical there were a few hundred million in increased salaries...but who's counting when we can get GE News with no sound!

You don't even know the half of it. You would probably think you prepped for a colon cleaning, or "had a cow man" if you saw how every dollar I mean penny was spent.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:

No, No, No....we are paying double fares for this privilege.

We certainly din;t get the longer stations ans trains that were promised. These TV's that report NOTHING are precisely what we bought...oh, an Bernie Weigenblast and the new twatttt yammering her recorded message!

If I had to get technical there were a few hundred million in increased salaries...but who's counting when we can get GE News with no sound!

Posted on: 2009/7/24 18:01

Re: Petition Port Authority Path to put real useful information on displays
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Regarding the path schedule, for those lucky with smarphones, there is the iTrans Path app on iphone to anticipate the next train wherever you are.

Regarding the flat screens, prices have dropped quite a lot recently, so I don't think it is a big expense. It's the provider loss if the adds can not capture the operating budget. I remember they did a similar experiment in Paris stations decade ago, they removed them after a while when people stopped looking at them. It can happen if people have to wait for useful information like in the current system. It's a fine line..

Posted on: 2009/7/24 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

we're basically complaining about fancy billboards here.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Probably cost a MILLION dollars a screen for no conceivable purpose!

Somebody's brother in law made out BIG TIME!

BARAGAIN: BUY A SMART CARD!
(cost $1,000,000)
Weather : HOT....another $1,000,000.

Maybe the FBI can extend the NJ arrests to Port Authority? Seems easy as shooting turkeys in an A&P frozen turkey display. PATH personnell are as crooked as a worm with palsy!

Posted on: 2009/7/23 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
The annoying thing is that they don't seem to update them on weekends -- the most common time for people to get stuck waiting around for a train. Having something to read would actually be helpful then.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
NBC owns and operates those screens, except for the alerts that scroll across the bottom. Those are PATH alerts, and they're controlled by the Port Authority.

The big-screen NBC info is updated at intervals during the day, but any breaking PATH transit news is supposed to be provided by the Port Authority, who are absolute crap at sharing info.

That's why, when there's a fire in Journal Square, you hear about it on channel 4 at least an hour before it scrolls on the bottom of the PATH flat screens.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 14:55

Petition Port Authority Path to put real useful information on displays
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's pretty pathetic that the Port authority has spent so much money on installing those nice flat visible display screens, yet all they display is useless crap that I can't call information. I already know what the weather is outside, and I already know how much my SmartCard costs to refill. Give me something I can use!!!

Imagine how useful those displays would be if they would show the train schedule or better yet, when the next train is to arrive. Wow now that would be great! How 21st century!

How many times have you run down the stairs or long corridor to try and catch the train because you didnt want to wait 5, 10, 15 minutes for the next one... and missed it by seconds? Had you only had useful information on those displays, you could probably avoid those situations. Or at least be at ease to know your nest train will arrive in 3 minutes. That would be so cool.

Here is a link to contacting PATH customer service. Tell them you want useful information and you want train schedules and when the next train arrives put on those expensive display screens they're so proud of.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/contact_us.cfm

Posted on: 2009/7/23 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
they'll be silent.

Posted on: 2009/3/12 17:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/9 20:28
Group:
Registered Users
I really hope the screens will be silent. I can't stand the PA announcements, now this noise violation. Putting them in the cars is excessive, especially in this economy. Moreover, How am I supposed to read during my commute?!

The Path hardly gets any advertising now, I do not think this is the answer.

Posted on: 2009/3/12 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
From Last years New York Times:

Resized Image
PATH monitorsWhat television screens would look like in the new PATH cars.

Television for the Captive Commuter

New York Times
January 22, 2008

By David W. Dunlap

Will New Jersey commuters turn into PATH potatoes?

Television screens are among the features that riders will see on 340 new PATH cars coming this year. A full-scale mock-up was unveiled today in Harrison, N.J., by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Each car will have four TV screens in the overhead spot where ads are found, said Marc La Vorgna, a spokesman for the authority. They will broadcast news, weather and sports from NBC; advertisements; and service announcements. Since you can?t turn them off or even turn the channel, this gives new meaning to the old NBC slogan ?must-see TV.?

Conceivably, then, one could watch TV almost without interruption during the trip through New Jersey and under the Hudson River, in the taxi or at the subway entrance and in the elevator on the way up to the office, in some buildings.

Though this may be the first appearance of television on New York area public transit, TV screens are common in other systems around the world, including Rome, where civilization seems be getting along just fine. And as St. Augustine would say, ?Rome has spoken; the case is closed.?

Posted on: 2009/3/11 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

troysmith wrote:

I just think it's a shame that everyone is so used to mediocrity that the Port Authority can get away with taking five years to install some lights inside a tunnel that's connected to a central computer.

I'd like to see these changes happen faster myself, but that ain't reality.

A rail signaling system is a lot more complex than "some lights connected to a computer." It's not a fancy Christmas decoration. It is a very large integrated network of power, data, mechanical, and pneumatic systems. Due to its scale, it also requires significant time and labor to demolish the existing network and install a new one, while of course keeping a safe, functioning system in place.

Oh, and don't forget it has to be designed first!

Posted on: 2009/3/11 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Not to defend the PATH, but the Beijing subway is only 40 years old while the PATH is 101 years old.

This could contribute to things taking longer, but they should have had this worked out years ago.

Posted on: 2009/3/11 0:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/19 15:34
Group:
Registered Users
I was doing some reading on the Subway line in Beijing on Wikipedia and I thought this was interesting.

"Increasing Capacity. With new lines drawing more riders to the network and the fare reduction making rides more affordable, the subway has experienced severe overcrowding, especially during the rush hour. Operators have often been forced to skip transit stops to avoid delay-induced overcrowding on one line from spilling over to other lines. In response, the subway upgraded signal equipment to increase the frequency of trains and added to the capacity of subway trains. The minimum wait-time has been reduced to 2.5 min. for Lines 1 & 2; 3 min. for Lines 5, 13 & Batong; 3.5 min. for Line 10 and 15 min. for the Airport Line.[46] Lines 13 and Batong have converted 4-car to 6-car trains.[47][48]"

Just wanted to point out that it's going to be another two years before PATH's new signaling system is in place. To put that into context, Beijing's subway has 15+ lines each with 10-25 stations. PATH has three lines and 3-7 stations, many of them shared. The wait on the weekends tops 20 minutes during the day.

I just think it's a shame that everyone is so used to mediocrity that the Port Authority can get away with taking five years to install some lights inside a tunnel that's connected to a central computer.

And GrovePath, please don't post a link suggesting that I go to the PA website to complain. I really don't care that much nor will it make a difference since they'll only say that it's already on the agenda. I mean, we already got new flat screens! HOORAY!

Posted on: 2009/3/10 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I think the real complaint with the monitors in the PATH system is that they are more or less useless. Sometimes they tell you when the next train is coming, approximately, but this information is interspersed through so many ads that the next train usually arrives before the announcement of the next train is displayed, rendering the information irrelevant. I think the whole system would be far more effective if the next train information was displayed on a continuous scroll bar, at least then I might look at the screen's ads every once and a while.

Any idea if the flatscreens will soon display the same video content we're supposed to be seeing on the new trains?

(I haven't had a chance to ride in one of the new cars, so I don't know if the video screens in them are functional yet.)

Posted on: 2009/3/10 21:43

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017