Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
55 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 55

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Powerhouse Arts District: artists win affordable units case - each valued at more than $400,000
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Jersey City, artists win affordable units case

Monday, February 09, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The New Jersey Appellate Division has upheld a trial court decision requiring that a luxury building in Jersey City's Powerhouse Arts District include seven affordable units for artists.

The builder of 311 Washington St., Washington Commons, LLC, had challenged the requirement to sell seven of the 68 units to the city for $1 each, arguing it did not understand these were the terms of an agreement with the city and these terms violated the builder's constitutional rights.

The company values the units at more than $400,000 each.

But the trial and appellate courts found the complaint had been filed too late.

In addition, both courts agreed that there was no support for a constitutional claim and that officials of the development company should have returned to the Board of Adjustment for clarification of any issues they did not understand.

"This decision is a victory for the city and its artists," Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said in a news release.

Washington Commons has appealed the decision to the New Jersey Supreme Court, city officials said.

Nicholas Buttafucco, the attorney for Washington Commons, declined to comment on "pending litigation."

What happened with this appeal??? Did Buttafucco get his day in court. Where is the victory that Healy claimed for the artists? I haven't seen too many artists on this block lately.

I live across the street and I'm amazed that they left all the second floor condos empty for all this time.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 3:43

Re: Powerhouse Arts District: artists win affordable units case - each valued at more than $400,000
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
FWIW, I was off-topic and commenting on the "worth to society" angle, which I realize is so abstract that attempting to define it is absurd. And yes I realize that HF managers may now be a poor example, but I think you get the idea. In the world of very high income, a person's worth to his fellow man may be seriously questionable indeed.

Mine is an uninformed guess based on intuition and cynicism, but the subsidized housing issue in the PAD appears to be part of a marketing tool to attract other residents with higher incomes, lesser creative abilities, and a desire to feel better about their lifestyles. Given other strategies to attract people to new residential projects, it seems to fit. I would be surprised if the primary goal of the subsidy is to give artists a leg up. But who knows? Sometimes I like to be dead wrong.

Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
I agree (although artistic value is closely tied to monetary value in the long term) and by no means by "best" did I mean flawless. People will freely make all kinds of bad decisions and overpay or even pay for things that are self-destructive. Regardless, individuals making free choices is both more fair and more likely to lead to happiness (partly because we would only have to live with our own choices) than having the government dictate what is of "value". In the aggregate, everyone making free choices also leads to better (or at least more agreeable) choices than a few in the government making choices for everyone.

The artist subsidy is a striking example of a connected group using government power to extract money from the general population based on privileging their chosen occupation.

In terms of Hedge funds - about 50% are going out of business and those who lost money are wealthy. It seems that the market is actively adjusting the value of hedge fund employees now that they are losing money.

Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
[snip]I submit that the best measure of the worth of what someone produces is what someone else is willing to freely pay for it. That this is a concept alien to those who work in government is not a surprise.

True, but that's only as an indicator of monetary value alone. Clearly, one's income is not proportional to their overall worth to society. "Value," is a much broader term that appeals to both rational and irrational interests. I don't necessarily agree with the city's plan to offer reduced-price housing to qualifying artists, but that was the deal.

Hedge fund managers earn more than garbage collectors, but it can be argued that the services of the latter are priceless while the other, uh....

Posted on: 2009/2/18 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I agree (although artistic value is closely tied to monetary value in the long term) and by no means by "best" did I mean flawless. People will freely make all kinds of bad decisions and overpay or even pay for things that are self-destructive. Regardless, individuals making free choices is both more fair and more likely to lead to happiness (partly because we would only have to live with our own choices) than having the government dictate what is of "value". In the aggregate, everyone making free choices also leads to better (or at least more agreeable) choices than a few in the government making choices for everyone.

The artist subsidy is a striking example of a connected group using government power to extract money from the general population based on privileging their chosen occupation.

In terms of Hedge funds - about 50% are going out of business and those who lost money are wealthy. It seems that the market is actively adjusting the value of hedge fund employees now that they are losing money.

Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
[snip]I submit that the best measure of the worth of what someone produces is what someone else is willing to freely pay for it. That this is a concept alien to those who work in government is not a surprise.

True, but that's only as an indicator of monetary value alone. Clearly, one's income is not proportional to their overall worth to society. "Value," is a much broader term that appeals to both rational and irrational interests. I don't necessarily agree with the city's plan to offer reduced-price housing to qualifying artists, but that was the deal.

Hedge fund managers earn more than garbage collectors, but it can be argued that the services of the latter are priceless while the other, uh....

Posted on: 2009/2/18 4:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/9 20:30
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ilikeglass wrote:
Its because of us artists that the rest of you even want to live here. We search and, take up residence in the large warehouse spaces where we can work and make noise with our music and hammers and saws, then what happens? the rest of you look and say, hey, they're having fun, it must be cool if artists live there...

Possibly the funniest thing I've ever read on this board.

Posted on: 2009/2/14 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Yikes.

1. The PAD condos-for-artists project was a token offering created to appease (IMHO) the vocal artists groups that were abused and swindled in the 111 fiasco.

2. You have to prove a certain salary derived FROM YOUR ARTMAKING to be able to qualify for the condos. If you aren't supporting yourself through the arts, then you won't be able to get one of the condos.

3. I don't much care for the government subsidizing anybody or anything, beyond infrastructure and a limited standing army, but can't begin to understand the backwoods mindset that permeates this thread. Cops, schoolteachers, and garbagemen do not encourage people to move into neighborhoods. Artists (and especially the cafes, bars, and shops that cater to them) do.

4. No one is losing money on this except for the developers, but they didn't have to build in PAD. The city, in essence, gets free properties. It could choose to rent them (a la 150 Bay Street) as well as to sell them to the artists. The artists can't make money on the condos either (no sales or subleasing.) The condo developers are building based on the zoning regulations of the PAD. They signed the contract. I'm pretty sure that the artists who win the condos are even responsible for property taxes. This was a initiative to maintain some of the funkiness of a downtown arts scene.

5. Garbagemen, cops, and schoolteachers are already subsidized by the government. They all have the opportunity for early retirements (maybe not garbagemen) and pensions.
Am I missing something here?

6. I agree with Jenny that it's ridiculous for the government to define what artmaking practices define a "real artist." However, the benchmark they chose is "does this artist support his/her own ass through their artmaking." Outside of this standard, the city has set a few relatively clear definitions. Does the artist need a big space to work in (writers and poets need not apply.)
Does the artist work independently, or for some ad agency or corporation (again, keep in mind the salary cap here. Pretty hard to cheat.) If you are just working as a "work for hire" type artist, again, don't bother applying. I forget the others, but they are similarly focused on independent artmaking.

7. Quit bitching. This doesn't cost you anything. Is it the best program or the best idea for the government to support artists? I'd say no. But if you're going to apply that to artists, I can think of a whole lot of more useless things the government spends its money on.

Ok, back to the provincial sniping and ignorant ramblings.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 19:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/30 1:35
Group:
Banned
Quote:

troysmith wrote:
I would say that in our society, income is the best gauge available of one's worth to society. I can't think of a better alternative.

Perhaps to an individual, self-worth and pride is worth more than any type of monetary compensation, but unfortunately, you can't go to a grocery store and expect to use your pride as currency.

Also, the services of garbage collectors is certainly not priceless, I'd say probably between $40-60k a year. Regarding HF managers? Right on point, why do you think so many have liquidated their funds?

ROFL. Stay classy, JCList.

Please do me a favor and tell that to members of the armed forces and educators, next time they open their paycheck.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 17:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/19 15:34
Group:
Registered Users
I would say that in our society, income is the best gauge available of one's worth to society. I can't think of a better alternative.

Perhaps to an individual, self-worth and pride is worth more than any type of monetary compensation, but unfortunately, you can't go to a grocery store and expect to use your pride as currency.

Also, the services of garbage collectors is certainly not priceless, I'd say probably between $40-60k a year. Regarding HF managers? Right on point, why do you think so many have liquidated their funds?

Posted on: 2009/2/13 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
This was why I mockingly claimed to be "an artist in PowerPoint" (but why not and according to who?).

My larger point was the absurdity of the government privileging one occupation above others supposedly based on their contribution to society but actually based on them having the political influence to make it happen. I submit that the best measure of the worth of what someone produces is what someone else is willing to freely pay for it. That this is a concept alien to those who work in government is not a surprise.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This was why I mockingly claimed to be "an artist in PowerPoint" (but why not and according to who?).

My larger point was the absurdity of the government privileging one occupation above others supposedly based on their contribution to society but actually based on them having the political influence to make it happen. I submit that the best measure of the worth of what someone produces is what someone else is willing to freely pay for it. That this is a concept alien to those who work in government is not a surprise.

Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Who determines what art is? And the value of it?

Do we support an artist who creates beautiful fine arts work but is far too niche or random to ever be able to support himself doing so OR do we give a leg up to a innovative graphic designer who might actually be able to make a decent living?

If I make beautiful jewelry out of beads, am I any more or less an artist than a industrial designer who is creating a new coffee maker? What if the world really needs more coffee makers than pretty jewelry?

WHO DECIDES?

I also get a chuckle out of the local government having any kind of saying on what makes art art. Barf.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
The artist has to be certified by the city as being an eligible artist. From what I have heard it is very difficult to obtain this certification.

Graphic or industrial designer probably wouldn't qualify though don't quote me as I don't have a list of who has qualified previously.

Who determines what art is? And the value of it?

Do we support an artist who creates beautiful fine arts work but is far too niche or random to ever be able to support himself doing so OR do we give a leg up to a innovative graphic designer who might actually be able to make a decent living?

If I make beautiful jewelry out of beads, am I any more or less an artist than a industrial designer who is creating a new coffee maker? What if the world really needs more coffee makers than pretty jewelry?

WHO DECIDES?

I also get a chuckle out of the local government having any kind of saying on what makes art art. Barf.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
The artist has to be certified by the city as being an eligible artist. From what I have heard it is very difficult to obtain this certification.

Graphic or industrial designer probably wouldn't qualify though don't quote me as I don't have a list of who has qualified previously.

As someone who knows cops who obviously have to live somewhere, I'd like to know what those programs he refers to are, as well.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 18:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/30 1:35
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ilikeglass wrote:
Jeebus...."Seriously, the logic of privileging artists, most of whom at some point made the choice to be voluntarily poor (do trustifarian artists qualify?), is a bit hard to understand. I think a lot of other folks such as car service drivers, cops, small business people, etc. contribute more to everyday quality of life than artists so it just comes down to artists successfully working the political system to their own benefit."

Take a look around you, do you wear clothes? they were all designed by someone...

Do you eat food? the packages they come in were designed by someone...

Do you like the park? gee, that was designed by someone too...

Do you read magazines & newspapers? Graphic artists and photographers hard at work there.

Oh and what about that expensive bottle of wine you are drinking with dinner, do you think the delivery guy drew the picture on the label for you?

Somebody more familiar with the program please chime in, but with the exception of maybe the photographer described above, I don't think any of the people/professions ilikeglass is talking about would qualify as an "artist" for the purposes of the city's program.

Cartoonist? Sure. Non-commercial photographer? Okay.

Landscape designer? Graphic designer at an ad agency or working in house for General Mills? Not so much.

Quote:

Do you get my point? perhaps you do not see artists everyday like you see the bus driver or the store clerk but our contribution to society is no less valuable.

And who out there is really working the political system to their benefit anyway???Politicians? CEO's? Trump?

Basically, the arts are always the first to get kicked in the ass when time get hard.

I also believe that there need to be affordable places to live for everyone, not just one group. If you are a cop or firefighter or teacher, they also have special programs that help them buy homes based on their chosen profession. Why not artists too?

What are the special programs available to cops and teachers to buy homes? I'm not familiar with them.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 18:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 16:47
Group:
Registered Users
Jeebus...."Seriously, the logic of privileging artists, most of whom at some point made the choice to be voluntarily poor (do trustifarian artists qualify?), is a bit hard to understand. I think a lot of other folks such as car service drivers, cops, small business people, etc. contribute more to everyday quality of life than artists so it just comes down to artists successfully working the political system to their own benefit."

Take a look around you, do you wear clothes? they were all designed by someone...

Do you eat food? the packages they come in were designed by someone...

Do you like the park? gee, that was designed by someone too...

Do you read magazines & newspapers? Graphic artists and photographers hard at work there.

Oh and what about that expensive bottle of wine you are drinking with dinner, do you think the delivery guy drew the picture on the label for you?

Do you get my point? perhaps you do not see artists everyday like you see the bus driver or the store clerk but our contribution to society is no less valuable.

And who out there is really working the political system to their benefit anyway???Politicians? CEO's? Trump?

Basically, the arts are always the first to get kicked in the ass when time get hard.

I also believe that there need to be affordable places to live for everyone, not just one group. If you are a cop or firefighter or teacher, they also have special programs that help them buy homes based on their chosen profession. Why not artists too?

Posted on: 2009/2/11 17:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 13:32
Group:
Registered Users
I have a friend who lives in one of the "artist" condos in the PAD. They are not given to the artists for $1 FYI... her's was discounted to about 160k I think.

There are pretty strict rules and regulations regarding these condos. The artist has to have the down payment (which I think is 10%), prove they have been a citizen of JC for a certain number of years, prove their main source of income is from some form of the arts, make enough income to qualify for a mortgage, but not exceed the city's income cap for this program. From what I understand, quite a few JC residents signed up for this program and got themselves "pre-certified" as JC artists, but could not qualify for the rest of the terms. For each new PAD condo, they have a lottery for the units, b/c there is still a much bigger number of registered artists for this program than there are available units.

Also, another huge thing with these units is that the artist who wins one, qualifies for the mortgage, etc. can never sell the unit for a profit (other than maybe a standard cost of living increase or whatever). You can't sublet them either. So basically, if and when she moves, she is basically selling the condo back to the city at zero profit for them to sell to another artist.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 15:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/10 1:35
Group:
Registered Users
Purely to answer jennymayla's question:

All that mattered to me when I moved into the PAD was it was the same rent as I was paying to live in Manhattan, but with 2.5X the space, and the same amount of time communting to work. I didn't care about high-rises, and honestly, didn't even know it was an arts district when I moved in. I thought it was a good deal, and they claimed to be finishing renovating the space when I saw it. I would have been the first person to live in that apartment.

Having to deal with unruly neighbors and their weekly parties, guests and their dogs relieving themselves in my hallway, intermittent electricity flashes that fried a computer, a leaky skylight that tracked water into my walls and fire alarms so high that nobody had a ladder high enough to reach, I happily moved out less than two years later.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm an artist in PowerPoint - do I qualify? Also, as a management consultant I am quite the actor at times. I CAN HAZ SUBSIDIZED CONDO?

Seriously, the logic of privileging artists, most of whom at some point made the choice to be voluntarily poor (do trustifarian artists qualify?), is a bit hard to understand. I think a lot of other folks such as car service drivers, cops, small business people, etc. contribute more to everyday quality of life than artists so it just comes down to artists successfully working the political system to their own benefit.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
... but it *is* a victory for those of us who think elected officials should stick to their word and do the right thing by their constituents.

I think we all think that. Whether we believe in the PAD or not.

Posted on: 2009/2/10 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Well said.

As for jenny's question/comment- I moved into the PAD not specifically because of the arts but because it is a quiet, small neighborhood and at the time at least the plan was for there to NOT be high rises constructed there- ever.

I don't know that I agree with Healy that this is a "victory for the city" given that the city leadership has spent the last several years trying to eviscerate the plan for PAD- but it *is* a victory for those of us who think elected officials should stick to their word and do the right thing by their constituents.

Posted on: 2009/2/10 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
As someone mentioned, under COAH, I believe one out of 7 units are to be affordable. Somehow the developers are allowed to put these "offsite" or put money into a city fund so that they don't have to put them in their new condos.
Therefore, WARD F has been bombarded with all these offsites while Downtown continues to harbor the million dollar condos...It's a real shame because those are the same people throwing darts at Ward F..."It's a tale of two cities".....mixing it up would be better for everyone.
Artists are an important part of a community. By the way " Affordables doesn't mean FREE, sometimes someone making 55,000 a year is considered for an affordable...
Over this way we should force developers in Downtown to keep affordables there. We just haven't been able to beat the Healy people.......It's a shame.

Posted on: 2009/2/10 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RacerX wrote:
...just sayin' it's not the main motivator for people to move here.

On the contrary.

I moved here four years ago.

I selected the PAD zone SPECIFICALLY because it was supposed to be an arts neighborhood, and not towers.

Now it appears that the city council are totally spineless chimpanzees, that blindly green-lights any variance that a developer asks for.

It's a shame.

Fair enough. Everyone has their own point of view on this.

Curious to see how many other people moved here mainly because of the arts?

And even more curious how that would play out against the real community -- not just the JCL crowd, who might be more arts-inclined.

Posted on: 2009/2/10 16:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/24 17:50
From Morgan Lighthouse
Group:
Registered Users
...just sayin' it's not the main motivator for people to move here.

On the contrary.

I moved here four years ago.

I selected the PAD zone SPECIFICALLY because it was supposed to be an arts neighborhood, and not towers.

Now it appears that the city council are totally spineless chimpanzees, that blindly green-lights any variance that a developer asks for.

It's a shame.

Posted on: 2009/2/10 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Healy should worry about the increasing murder and crime in this city rather than commenting on things like this.

CRIME IS DOWN. HEALY SAID SO!

Posted on: 2009/2/10 4:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ilikeglass wrote:
Its because of us artists that the rest of you even want to live here. We search and, take up residence in the large warehouse spaces where we can work and make noise with our music and hammers and saws, then what happens? the rest of you look and say, hey, they're having fun, it must be cool if artists live there...lets burn them out of their homes and work spaces then we can build expensive carboard condos and because the artists were there first we can call it an arts district and charge those rich fools even more money than what its worth because they will look stylish...oooohhh... I don't know where you are coming from, but the arts DO pay, and we do pay our rents, we just keep it real.

To be fair, I wasn't aware of any sort of major arts residence when I moved here, which was at the beginning of the evictions.

Not sayin' you're not entitled to respect and maybe even some sort of compensation, just sayin' it's not the main motivator for people to move here.

It's a shame that JC can't support it's community of artists and history in a more appropriate way, and a way that would benefit ALL of us.

PS: I like glass too!

Posted on: 2009/2/10 3:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ilikeglass wrote:
Its because of us artists that the rest of you even want to live here. We search and, take up residence in the large warehouse spaces where we can work and make noise with our music and hammers and saws, then what happens? the rest of you look and say, hey, they're having fun, it must be cool if artists live there...lets burn them out of their homes and work spaces then we can build expensive carboard condos and because the artists were there first we can call it an arts district and charge those rich fools even more money than what its worth because they will look stylish...oooohhh... I don't know where you are coming from, but the arts DO pay, and we do pay our rents, we just keep it real.

they do the same thing to poor or minorities elsewhere and i dont see where the big outrage is over that. maybe we should give some of the montgomery gardens residents cheap condos at the beacon. you know, since they were there first.

oh wait never mind, it's not the same since a few gangbangers live in the projects. therefore, everyone who lives there must be bad and it's ok if they all get displaced. just dont displace the artists

Posted on: 2009/2/10 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
troysmith you are ill-informed as to how the PAD is *supposed* to work.

The provision of these units at this price point is the condition upon which the developer was allowed to put up the building in the first place. No units for the city at $1, no development.

As a resident of the PAD who has followed these issues fairly closely, I have to say, it's ludicrous to think the developer "didn't understand" this.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 22:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe how much my words have been twisted around. The whole point is that these condos shouldn't be given away, to artists or otherwise. It was purely based on economics, not on what you perceived to be prejudices again the artist community.

And I totally disagree with you that it's because artists live in this area that makes it so popular, people want to live there because it's close to Manhattan and they don't have a pay an arm and a leg to live comfortably.

No one cares if you're an artist, a banker, a baker, a teacher... Get over yourself.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 22:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 16:47
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/2/9 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
"what artists were here before you hipsters moved in?"

Really, you obviously have no clue about the neighborhood we are talking about here, it was mostly artists.

troysmith, what do you call the tax abatements being handed out to these developers you are so worried about?? Are you that stupid.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 21:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"This is how the city can try keep the Arts in the Powerhouse Arts District you moron. Otherwise they would just call it the Powerhouse Condo District. It's an genuine attempt to preserve some of the diversity of the community that existed there before it became so expensive and trendy. I am an artist who can afford his rent, who lives there too. What do you do for a living troysmith? I'm sure it's more admirable than arts."

Congratulations sir, on being able to afford rent. If this were the norm, then we wouldn't have such a downturn in the housing market and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

As for the comment that the city isn't losing as much tax revenue as I think... That's because they're stealing from the private sector. If you were a condo developer (albeit in this case, a very ill-informed one) and the government takes the fruits of your labor, would you continue building? Of course not.

If this continued, no one would build and all the buildings would become dilapidated. I'd recommend a booked called "Atlas Shrugged" to anyone who thinks that what's going on here is proper and justified.

"So you're all for the market economy but an ex-commodities broker selling 30 basket and soccer balls for $3m is getting away with something."

I think you've missed my point entirely. I think it's great that this person can sell some rubber balls for ?1.2mm+, if more artists were able to do this, I wouldn't be complaining about the mayor!

Posted on: 2009/2/9 21:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

troysmith wrote:
Are you kidding? Has no one heard of a market economy? I still don't understand why if you're an "artist" you get special privileges. No one forced you to go into a profession that doesn't pay enough for you to afford rent. If there is too little demand for artists, that just means that in a market economy, the supply should naturally decrease. Instead, this is in effect a price ceiling and now there is a deadweight loss that the tax payers and the builder will have to swallow.

I'm sorry, but Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy is clearly mistaken when he said that this is a victory for the city. The city will actually receive LESS TAX REVENUE because they are forcing the units to be sold for $1. Blasphemy I say. And we should all require him to take a college-level economics course because apparently Villanova failed miserably at that.

And I don't feel bad for artists at all when they can get away with this: http://chelseaartgalleries.com/auctions/with?sale=P31&lot=30

So you're all for the market economy but an ex-commodities broker selling 30 basket and soccer balls for $3m is getting away with something.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 21:17

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017