Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Where could we volunteer for kids in need??
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
jerseymom: Thanks for all the information. I recently finished grad school and wanted to do some volunteer work.

FYI: Hudson cradle is not accepting volunteers until July 2009, but you can volunteer to throw a baby shower, or a diaper drive.

Posted on: 2008/11/9 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
There are several places in Jersey City that could use adult volunteers:

1. CASA (hudsoncountycasa.org)

Hudson County Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) is an independent, non-profit organization committed to advocating for the best interests of abused and neglected children. CASA works through trained community volunteers to ensure that needed services are available to foster children while helping to move them toward safe and permanent homes.

CASA volunteers speak in court on behalf of children who have been abused, neglected and removed from their homes and placed into out-of-home placements such as shelters, group homes and foster care.

In Hudson County we have over 700 children in out-of-home placement. We desperately need volunteers to advocate for these children.

2. PAL (The Police Activity League)

The Jersey City Police Department runs after-school programs for youth in the Journal Square area - their facility is on Bergen Avenue in the old YMCA building. If you had an idea for a program for kids, or just want to help out, contact FRANK WILLIAMS at director@jerseycitypal.org
Their programs are not just athletic-based.

3. HUDSON CRADLE (hudsoncradle.org)

Not sure if they take outside volunteers, but their amazing program helps homeless infants with special health and development needs.

4. JC PUBLIC LIBRARY

The United Way (I think that's the sponsoring organization) runs a great program out of the JC Public Library on Jersey Avenue that fosters literacy, English language development for non-English speakers, and even computer skill training. As this pertains to children, I'm not sure, but imagine the impact you could have teaching someone how to read.

Good luck - and I hope others catch your same spirit. The kids in Jersey City can greatly benefit from the energy and attention of motivated adults like you and your wife.

Posted on: 2008/11/8 2:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/11/8 2:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/5 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
contact Gary Greenberg at the Boys and Girls Club of Jersey City..its' loctaed at the intersection of grand and grove downtown.

Posted on: 2008/11/8 0:17

Where could we volunteer for kids in need??
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/21 16:58
Group:
Registered Users
Ever since Obama became a national figure four years ago, my wife and I been inspired to be a little more involved. So my question, does anyone know where we could volunteer with kids? I was thinking maybe the boys club had something or maybe some kind of big brother/big sister organization. Thank you.

Posted on: 2008/11/7 23:33

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017