Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: City Consolidation?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/21 11:24
From Hamilton Park, JC
Group:
Registered Users
Talk of consolidation has been going on for over a hundred years. Here is another earlier article, proposing the consolidation of all of Hudson County- in 1869....

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract ... 63BBC4C52DFBE668382679FDE

A referendum on consolidation was held on October 5, 1869 and on that date Jersey City (Already a merger of Paulus Hook, and the Township of VanVorst), Hudson City (present day JC Heights), Bergen, Town of Union and Union Township voted in favor of consolidation. Hoboken, Bayonne, Greenville, Weehawken, West Hoboken and North Bergen voted against it. Although the residents of the Town of Union and Union Township wanted to join the consolidated city, the Act provided that only contiguous municipalities could consolidate and therefore they were excluded. On March 17, 1870, the Legislature granted a new charter for the consolidated City of Jersey City consisting of former Jersey City and the Town of Bergen.

Greenville struggled on for a time, as an independent township, but it was having financial difficulties, and in 1873 merged with the new City of Jersey City and Greenville ceased to exist as a separate identity.

See the link to a 1905 article from the NYT, referencing the proposal merger of Hoboken and towns north.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract ... 3A25751C1A9679D946497D6CF

Posted on: 2008/7/31 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bluehorse wrote:
I don't expect any politician to willingly give up his/her position. But if enough tax payers/voters want it to happen, can't we make it happen? The way we made Fulop's referendum happen?

To do it, you would need the equivalent of the US military base closings commission. There would be an unbelievable media blitz against it financed by the special interests that benefit from the current system. Remember the "Harry and Louise" ads against the Clinton Healthcare Plan?

There are people who expect Fulops ballots items to fail. This is JC, after all.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 15:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/14 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
I don't expect any politician to willingly give up his/her position. But if enough tax payers/voters want it to happen, can't we make it happen? The way we made Fulop's referendum happen?

Posted on: 2008/7/30 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The Elec site (specifically the search and view reports) requires a Java applet. For best results, use Internet Explorer on a Windows machine. Unless you see the Java applet load, you are not accessing the program (and thus will appear as though the search and view is not working). Yes, this is an ass-backward way of providing the information, but this is state government we are talking about. We're lucky they know what the internet is.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
going thru and compiling elec reports is dificult grunt work. it appears that the Campos report was likely compiled manually from copies of handwritten reports.

we need a few diligent individuals to take this on here.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

DanL wrote:
what disappoints me the most (besides all that developer money), is Corey Booker and his Chief of Staff getting involved in a ward election in another town, in another county...... and of course supporting the "machine" candidate - who was Prosecuter in one No. Hudson town and I believe he or his law firm also does corp counsel work for another No. Hudson town....

Brewster - is this type of report available for our JC pols?

Dan, here's the state ELEC site, but I can't seem to get the search to work. Probably why the Hobokeners put the report on a 3rd party site for downloading.

http://www.elec.state.nj.us/publicinformation/viewreports.htm

The problem with the law is that it's toothless, Campos was able to endlessly make excuses for not filing his report, through both the general and runoff elections. Had there not been the final court ordered re-election his donors would never have been known before an election.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DanL wrote:
what disappoints me the most (besides all that developer money), is Corey Booker and his Chief of Staff getting involved in a ward election in another town, in another county...... and of course supporting the "machine" candidate - who was Prosecuter in one No. Hudson town and I believe he or his law firm also does corp counsel work for another No. Hudson town....

Dan, here's the state ELEC site, but I can't seem to get the search to work. Probably why the Hobokeners put the report on a 3rd party site for downloading.

http://www.elec.state.nj.us/publicinformation/viewreports.htm

The problem with the law is that it's toothless, Campos was able to endlessly make excuses for not filing his report, through both the general and runoff elections. Had there not been the final court ordered re-election his donors would never have been known before an election.

Posted on: 2008/7/29 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
I grew up in Maryland, and this is one of the first things I noticed when I moved here 6 years ago. In MD we have county police, not every town with their own individual fleet for example. I think it keeps the towns from being so drastically different from the next like they are in NJ.

Posted on: 2008/7/29 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

brewster wrote:
The reason it'll never happen is the small towns of Hudson are gold mines of corruption for town officials.

Hoboken has 9 council members, same as JC, for a town 1/6 the size. In Hobokens 4th ward race Chris Campos raised $130k mostly from out of town developers and politicos to run for a seat where the winner got 1070 votes. Why do you suppose anyone cared that much?

CONTROLLING THE CONTRACT MONEY AND PERMITS!!

Look at this donation report from Hobokens 4th ward race: http://www.divshare.com/download/2414766-849

Posted on: 2008/7/29 2:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/13 22:23
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
It definitely won't happen if no one is talking about it :)

It has to start somewhere.

what I don't hear is anyone opposed to the idea, which is a great first step.

Posted on: 2008/7/28 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Don't count on this happening anytime soon.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey has some of the most fractured municipalities in the country. This has lead to (and resulted from) political patronage and corruption. However, the result is also the astronomical tax burden.

The movement towards municipal consolidation (and service consolidation such as shared police and fire departments or regional school districts) has always been in the background of policy wonks waiting for the political will to do it. Had Corzine not been so boorish with the rest of his public policy, he was about to set in much in the beginning of his term consolidation incentives.

Ultimately, there will be consolidation when there is a political will to address the property tax issue in the state. As to Hudson County, I think Hoboken is likely to be the first to be consolidated into Jersey City, but not probably for two or three more decades or more. However, there are many more important places that need to be eliminated before Hudson begins to consolidate, like the donut towns, and the micro-municipalities.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The reason it'll never happen is the small towns of Hudson are gold mines of corruption for town officials.

Hoboken has 9 council members, same as JC, for a town 1/6 the size. In Hobokens 4th ward race Chris Campos raised $130k mostly from out of town developers and politicos to run for a seat where the winner got 1070 votes. Why do you suppose anyone cared that much?

CONTROLLING THE CONTRACT MONEY AND PERMITS!!

Look at this donation report from Hobokens 4th ward race: http://www.divshare.com/download/2414766-849

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/16 19:10
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
That's never going to happen. NJ is notorious for excessive amount of government. They need to condense all these small town services into the county level like Maryland and other states do.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 15:09

City Consolidation?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/13 22:23
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Population of New York City: 8 million

Populations of Bayonne, Newark, Hoboken, Union, Secaucus, North Bergen, Weehawken, Kearny and Jersey City: 810,000.

With taxes at the city and county level climbing, is it time to ask if we need so many governments with the same functions overseeing populations of less than 500,000?

New York's five boroughs combined in 1898.

Jersey City is jokingly referred to as 'the sixth borough'. Maybe what Jersey City should aspire to be is New York's sister city.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 15:05

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017