Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
48 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 48

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Living in Hamilton Park
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/1 12:54
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:
After 10pm, I usually get off at either the Grove or Hoboken Path stations and take a taxi.

Maybe not necessary, but does wonders for my "peace of mind".

These days NOT taking the taxis at Grove has been doing wonders for my peace of mind late nights. Theres one really nice guy in the bunch and a lot of innocuous drivers but several bad apples are ruining the bunch.

Ive rarely encountered anyone around or outside the mall in the wee hours of coming back from NYC. In most cases its been cleaning staff in the mall, police on the way to Hamilton Pk, and Taxi drivers in between.

Posted on: 2008/9/27 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

KNOWITALL wrote:
pardon the cliche but better safe than sorry..not so worried what happens in the mall but right outside...

Never had a problem from the Path all the way to Hamilton Park. I have seen problems in the middle of the day with teenagers but never, ever late at night. Not in my 20 years.

Posted on: 2008/9/26 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
After 10pm, I usually get off at either the Grove or Hoboken Path stations and take a taxi.

Maybe not necessary, but does wonders for my "peace of mind".

Posted on: 2008/9/26 17:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/5 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
pardon the cliche but better safe than sorry..not so worried what happens in the mall but right outside...

Posted on: 2008/9/26 16:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/25 1:50
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robt wrote:
The Mall isn't open 24/7...dunno where you get that. Coming back from the city to Hamilton park very late (>12am) aint the best of things about this neighbourhood. I actually have started going to WTC and walking from grove rather than the (very overcrowded) train from 33rd st.
The maill is closed after 11 most nights, so you have to walk around.
That said, there's not been too many creeps around and even if the streets look bleak going around the mall, they are pretty safe

What on earth are you talking about? The stores in the mall are closed but the mall itself is open. They block off parts of it with gates so no one can go wandering about but it's still open and you're still able to walk from the entrance on the Newport side all the way through to the exit at the parking deck (in between Sephora and the new Armani X store) and then through the parking deck to Marin.

I've walked it many a time at all hours of the night. There are security guards (for what it's worth) and there's usually some people who got off at the Newport/Pavonia stop walking through as well.

Posted on: 2008/9/26 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
20 years of walking through that Mall at all hours and never, ever had a problem. Always prefered it to walking to/from Grove St. especially because of the crowd around that 24hr. McDonalds.

Posted on: 2008/9/26 14:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I've come home at 2am, 3am, 4am, 6am, 7am etc, I've always been able to walk thru the mall from Pavonia/Newport station. I've rarely ever encountered anyone in the Mall besides cleaning and security staff during those times.

I've never ever had to walk around the mall, regardless of the hour. The worst case was when the entrance nearest the parking deck was closed because of construction inside the mall and I was directed to another entrance around the side.
I think that was at 1am.

Posted on: 2008/9/26 14:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/9 2:20
Group:
Registered Users
The Mall isn't open 24/7...dunno where you get that. Coming back from the city to Hamilton park very late (>12am) aint the best of things about this neighbourhood. I actually have started going to WTC and walking from grove rather than the (very overcrowded) train from 33rd st.
The maill is closed after 11 most nights, so you have to walk around.
That said, there's not been too many creeps around and even if the streets look bleak going around the mall, they are pretty safe

Posted on: 2008/9/26 2:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/5 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
a simple suggstion....if one is coming home late at night,had a couple of drinks or isn't comfortable..take the path to grove and grab a cab

Posted on: 2008/9/25 22:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
Hi,
I'm about to move to Hamilton Park. Is the mall access to the PATH open 24/7? Do creeps + weirdos hang out in the mall parking garage late night?
Thanks.

Mall is open 24/7 unless there is a construction issue, and even then there is usually an alternate route thru to the PATH.

In all my MANY nights of late night travel from Newport PATH to Hamilton Park, I've encountered neither creeps nor weirdos.
(though I likely qualify as BOTH )

Posted on: 2008/9/25 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,
I'm about to move to Hamilton Park. Is the mall access to the PATH open 24/7? Do creeps + weirdos hang out in the mall parking garage late night?
Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/9/25 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Have lived in HP for past 10 years - 9 renting and just had one year anniversary in new loft that I purchased - love the neighborhood!!! Love love love!!! Walking through the mall to the Path takes about 10 minutes - have walked it for years. Great exercise - cannot imagine taking a cab! How silly! The neighborhood is very safe - I have walked home late, but I am a tall man. If I were a lady I could take a taxi from Grove late at night after 12am I suppose. HP is great!!

Posted on: 2008/7/13 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I also advocate asking around. If you're walking around a neighborhood you like and you see friendly looking people (maybe doing yardwork or having a stoop sale or whatever), ask if they know of anything for rent. I did that in 1999, when I first moved to JC, and heard about a situation where the owner's dad had lived there and died several months before, and the owner just hadn't gotten around to cleaning it out but planned to advertise for a tenant.
I ended up with a nice (unrenovated, but still very nice) duplex on 8th St. with a back yard, eat-in kitchen, 2 huge bedrooms, washer/dryer, basement for storage, etc., for $1200 incl. utilities, which I split with a roommate. I lived there for 1.5 years, and it was great. There was a 1-bedroom in the same building which I believe went for about $800 at the time. Yes, it was 9 years ago, but you can still find good deals.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kribopple wrote:
whoever said my price range was undoable for hp is WRONG. i just came back from two awesome awesome places a block from hp - both under 1300. and i'm going to see another one tomorrow that sounds wonderful so HA!

being persistent in the search does and will pay off. so people, cross your fingers, you may have a new neighbor moving in

if my first pick and second pick fall through, i'll be sure to call cruz furniture.

Good for you and congratulations! I hope one of those two apartments works out for you.

I believe the places the guy at Cruz Furniture had were around 1000 a month, but that was in 2005. So, assuming he has any units available, the price may have gone up.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 17:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/9 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
whoever said my price range was undoable for hp is WRONG. i just came back from two awesome awesome places a block from hp - both under 1300. and i'm going to see another one tomorrow that sounds wonderful so HA!

being persistent in the search does and will pay off. so people, cross your fingers, you may have a new neighbor moving in

if my first pick and second pick fall through, i'll be sure to call cruz furniture.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kribopple wrote:

i am curious about these rent stablized apartments in hp. anyone know anything else about it?

To learn more about rent controlled apartments in Jersey City, just check out this recent JCList thread for details.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 22:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kribopple wrote:

so i walked around after seeing an apt in the cove. not bad esp for the price but for some reason i'm still iffy. i did take your advice and walk to van vorst, and yes i am in love.

*sigh* however, during my stroll around town i did not see one "for rent" sign. maybe i didn't walk down the right streets? where do you see them? the ones i did see were all for properties going through an agency.

oh i did walk by the infamous park and yes, i could see how it's a nuisance. there were older women out there with some men and even the women had something to say to me. lovely. whatever, i'm born and bred in ny so it doesnt really bother me but it does take away from the neighborhood.

the tip about a1 agency: their website is not updated. i called becuase the request option on the site does not work and the guy laughed when i asked if it was updated. but he was helpful and was able to tell me what was avail in my range.

i'm gonna keep trying!

Glad you liked Van Vorst Park -- it SO rocks! Did you get a chance to walk down Mercer Street as well? It's mighty groovy.

And yeah, unless you find something really awesome at a great price on my block (Wayne between Jersey and Barrow), it's probably best you avoid it all together.

I hope the A-1 people end up coming through for you too.

If not, did you pop into Cruz Furniture on Grove Street yet? I was told that the owner or manager there has a number of great apartments he rents out in the Hamilton Park area, but you may want to stop in there and double check or give them a call. I just Googled them -- they're at 311 Grove Street and their number is (201) 333-1292.

Regarding "For Rent" signs, I honestly haven't been looking too hard for them lately, but they always seem to be there. I tend to notice them more when I have friends looking for new places. When I am out running errands today and tomorrow, I'll see if I see any "For Rent" signs and I'll post or PM anything of interest.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 22:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
what people do to get an apartment!!!!!!! i am curious now about these old people and their second apartments but i could never follow through. though not a practicing catholic, the catholic guilt would eventually settle in.

i am curious about these rent stablized apartments in hp. anyone know anything else about it?

i also meant to ask, is there somewhere i could leave my bike if i rode it to newport? i haven't seen a bike rack.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 18:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/14 11:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
I have lived in Hamilton Park for about 6 months - I like the area a lot and think it will only get better. The development of the old hospital is supposed to bring a wine shop and a nicer bar. There is also Hamilton Park Ale house - one of my favorite places to sit and have beer with friends.

I prefer walking to Grove Path over NP Path. Walking through the mall has its place during bad weather.

I still have not gotten use to the walk to both Path stations. It seems like such a far walk to both from Hamilton Park. Sometimes I get so lazy after work and take a taxi from Grove Street.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have lived in Hamilton Park for about 6 months - I like the area a lot and think it will only get better. The development of the old hospital is supposed to bring a wine shop and a nicer bar. There is also Hamilton Park Ale house - one of my favorite places to sit and have beer with friends.

I prefer walking to Grove Path over NP Path. Walking through the mall has its place during bad weather.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

kribopple wrote:

call me naive, but hey i'm an optimist.

Are you Catholic, or could you fake it? (I don't really know how Catholic churches work, so I'm not sure how easy or hard it is just to go to a church and start praying there on Sundays.)

Anyhow, if you're Catholic, I think the best way to get an affordable apartment would be to attend mass at St. Anthony's of Padua (around Sixth and Brunswick, I think), or maybe the Catholic church on the north side of Hamilton Park.

I have a feeling that some of the older people who bought two-family homes decades around Hamilton Park years ago are still in the neighborhood, and that you find them by going to mass and playing bingo at St. Anthony's.

This could be totally wrong, but, knowing how my grandmother operates (in a different city), I suspect that a lot of elderly people leave second apartments vacant because they don't really need the money and don't want the hassle of having to deal with bad tenants. If you could show that you're a nice person who would look after an elderly person a bit and maybe help a bit with shopping and that sort of thing, maybe you could get an apartment in a two-family west of Hamilton Park for pretty cheap, or even for free.

(Note: if someone here attends St. Anthony's and really knows what the older parishioners do with their second apartments, I'd love to hear your thoughts.)

Don't fake it that would be hypocritical on your part. Here is the Roman Catholic website for mass schedules of every parish in the world including the U.S.A.

http://www.masstimes.org/dotnet/Default.aspx

Posted on: 2008/7/11 16:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/14 11:04
Group:
Registered Users
I love it here. I was lucky to find a rent stabalized apartment that is in pretty good shape. I did not even know until last year unti my neighbor told me. My rent is so low and has not gone up. Not sure how to find a rent stabalized apartment, but if I got one, I am sure there are more out there.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

kribopple wrote:

Are you Catholic, or could you fake it? (I don't really know how Catholic churches work, so I'm not sure how easy or hard it is just to go to a church and start praying there on Sundays.)

Anyhow, if you're Catholic, I think the best way to get an affordable apartment would be to attend mass at St. Anthony's of Padua (around Sixth and Brunswick, I think), or maybe the Catholic church on the north side of Hamilton Park.

I have a feeling that some of the older people who bought two-family homes decades around Hamilton Park years ago are still in the neighborhood, and that you find them by going to mass and playing bingo at St. Anthony's.

This could be totally wrong, but, knowing how my grandmother operates (in a different city), I suspect that a lot of elderly people leave second apartments vacant because they don't really need the money and don't want the hassle of having to deal with bad tenants. If you could show that you're a nice person who would look after an elderly person a bit and maybe help a bit with shopping and that sort of thing, maybe you could get an apartment in a two-family west of Hamilton Park for pretty cheap, or even for free.

(Note: if someone here attends St. Anthony's and really knows what the older parishioners do with their second apartments, I'd love to hear your thoughts.)

Posted on: 2008/7/11 16:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
you can totally find something in hp in that range. it's a matter of being fast, proactive and well lucky. the place i saw was over 600 sq feet and was only asking 1150 but couple that with broker fees, i'm not willing to fork over 4k up front.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Asking and getting are different things entirely. Also, at 1,000 square feet, that is a huge apartment. Its probably possible to find a 400 to 600 square foot apartment in the $1200 range.

Yup, my apartment is a 650 sqft 1BR and I have been paying $1200/mo for the past 4 years. Lucky for me the rent has never increased. I'm 2 blocks east of Hamilton Park.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MarkCore wrote:
Less than $1300 in Hamilton Park is nearly impossible.

I really disagree with you, especially if studios are an option. There is a huge variety in housing quality. There probably isn't anything ON the park, but certainly in the neighborhood.

Quote:

I live in a beautiful 1050 sq/ft apartment in Hamilton Park and pay about 1750 now after the years of 4% increases in rent. I'm moving to London later this month for work and know that the landlord is going to be asking $2000 for the place.

Asking and getting are different things entirely. Also, at 1,000 square feet, that is a huge apartment. Its probably possible to find a 400 to 600 square foot apartment in the $1200 range.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Less than $1300 in Hamilton Park is nearly impossible. A friend was looking for a studio or 1 bedroom for that last year and the cheapest he found was 1350 for a place on Manila. He is probably moving to DC so maybe it is opening up - I would think once it does the owner may ask for more.

I live in a beautiful 1050 sq/ft apartment in Hamilton Park and pay about 1750 now after the years of 4% increases in rent. I'm moving to London later this month for work and know that the landlord is going to be asking $2000 for the place.

Get a roomie or bite the bullet and pay more, unfortunately.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 14:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

UrbanRenewal wrote:

This time of year the park is SPECTACULAR with the fountains, flowers, trees and all of the meticulous landscaping. And there's a summer outdoor film series.

I am guessing you will fall in love with the park and Mercer Street east of Jersey Avenue (because it's easy to do -- think West Village NYC), but also walk up and down Montgomery Street and York Street east of Jersey Avenue and look for "For Rent" signs in the windows -- I see them often. I would also check out Barrow Street between Mercer Street and York Street.

If you can't find anything east of Jersey Avenue, you could also explore the area to the west, though as you proceed further and further to the west toward the NJ Turnpike Extension, a number of the blocks tend to get rougher around the edges.

Also, you have to walk along Grove Street from Christopher Columbus Drive to Grand Street! It will give you an idea of all of the shopping and dining options you have.

You may get lucky in your Van Vorst Park hunt (I sure did price-wise!), but if you feel like you may be priced out of the neighborhood, you could try Wayne Street between Marin Blvd. and Barrow Street. It's a bit rougher around the edges than many of the other Van Vorst Park blocks, but you may get a better deal as a result.

I'd avoid my block, which is Wayne Street between Jersey Avenue and Barrow Street, just because there's a playground on the south side of the street where local teens and others tend to loiter. Residents tend to not be harassed, but the loiterers are mostly just a nuisance (especially in the summer). That said, there are some reasonably-priced apartments in the Hampton Court building on the south side of my block to the right of the church you may want to at least take a look at.

Another block to avoid would be Christopher Columbus Drive between Barrow Street and Jersey Avenue. Again, I've never had any problems, but the loitering (especially in the summer) can be a bit unsettling.

so i walked around after seeing an apt in the cove. not bad esp for the price but for some reason i'm still iffy. i did take your advice and walk to van vorst, and yes i am in love.

*sigh* however, during my stroll around town i did not see one "for rent" sign. maybe i didn't walk down the right streets? where do you see them? the ones i did see were all for properties going through an agency.

oh i did walk by the infamous park and yes, i could see how it's a nuisance. there were older women out there with some men and even the women had something to say to me. lovely. whatever, i'm born and bred in ny so it doesnt really bother me but it does take away from the neighborhood.

the tip about a1 agency: their website is not updated. i called becuase the request option on the site does not work and the guy laughed when i asked if it was updated. but he was helpful and was able to tell me what was avail in my range.

i'm gonna keep trying!

Posted on: 2008/7/11 14:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/10 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for all the info, it's very helpful

Posted on: 2008/7/10 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kribopple wrote:
good lord you are a wealth of information and i mean that in a nice way!

price range, 1000-1300 for a studio or 1br. i know its low but i've been seeing stuff out there. they just happen to get snatched up really quickly.

Thanks!

I think $1000 to $1300 is totally doable if you spend some time looking and you are diligent. I pay less than that for my large prewar 1 bedroom apartment, but I was lucky enough to get locked in at a great price (that's rent controlled or rent stabilized or whatever) when I moved here back in 2001.

This A-1 Property Management site I just dug up may be a BIG HELP:

http://www.a1propertymanagement.com/Rentals.htm

It looks like they have a dozen buildings or so across Downtown Jersey City!

The 50-unit building on my block that I mentioned earlier, 89 Wayne Street (a.k.a. 89 Hampton Court) is managed by A-1 Property Management and is a secure building with younger single folks as well as some families. I had an acquaintance who lived in a studio there a couple of years ago and he loved it. He paid less than $900 a month for his studio, I believe.

Again, my block isn't the world's greatest of all the blocks in the Van Vorst Park Historical District, but at least 89 Wayne Street is on the "good side" of the street and a number of single professional women live in my block's buildings. Some of the architecture is fantastic too, and the Barrow Mansion is great community resource.

I am not sure how often A-1 Property Management updates their website, so you may want to call them about availability in that building.

Their website says that right now the only thing they have at 89 Wayne Street is a 2 bedroom/loft at $1400.

It's listed here: http://a1propertymanagement.com/89Wayne.htm

On to possibly a better listing on a better block:

They have a third-floor "studio with loft" listed for $1000 at 110 Mercer Street -- not too shabby! I don't know the building, but I really dig Mercer Street.

It's listed here: http://www.a1propertymanagement.com/110mercer.htm

More stuff on this site...

There are two studios for $1100 on Warren Street.

It's listed here: http://www.a1propertymanagement.com/201Warren.htm

And one more:

A 1 bedroom on Morris for $1200.

It's listed here: http://www.a1propertymanagement.com/135Morris.htm

Final thought on A-1 for the moment: Here's a recent JCList.com thread about A-1 Property Management. It looks like most people think they're an "okay" management company and the last poster seemed to really adore them.

The one management company people seem to whine about most on JCList is RobinsOak.

Here's a link to an apartment for $1300 RobinsOak has available up in the Heights: http://www.robinsoak.com/home.htm

But given all of the complaints on JCList about them and the fact that you'd prefer to live Downtown, you may just want to avoid them entirely.

P.S.: For more on RobinsOak and the complaints JCListers have about them, here's a link to the thread so you can see for yourself what I am talking about:
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... =ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Posted on: 2008/7/10 19:43

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017