Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
55 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 55

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Politicial Insider/Jersey Journal: What'll it take to keep field Sandy-free for Healy?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
The Jersey Journal
Politicial Insider

What'll it take to keep field Sandy-free for Healy?

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Wednesday's column was a good read for the folks down on Grove Street in Jersey City. Actually, I never thought that the 2009 mayoral pre-emptive strike preparations by state Sen. Sandra B. Cunningham's camp - in case she runs for mayor (wink, wink) - would get such a reaction.

On the same day, the rank and file in Mayor Jerramiah Healy's administration realized they may actually face a big fight in next year's municipal election, the phones were ringing off the hook all over the city. There were many anxious voices looking for answers for such questions like "Then why did we support Obama?" or "Why did we give her the Senate seat?" and others more personal.

One of those phones is owned by Joe Cardwell, Cunningham's political prime minister, and the voice on the other end said the mayor needs to chat, according to close sources from both sides. Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly what was the face-to-face exchange, but you can bet that it probably went something like this:

Healy: "Is she running or not?"

Cardwell: "We're leaving our options open."

Healy: "Are you trying to create a coalition?"

Cardwell: "It's always wise to consider the thoughts of others."

Healy: "What will it take to keep her out? What is it that she wants."

Cardwell: "I'll get back to you tomorrow."

Like I said, it's made up, but Cardwell did come back. Yesterday, he entered City Hall through the back.

Some Healy hardliners are pushing a sniper list of workers in city departments and the cross-hairs would be mostly on Cunningham people, say city sources. They want some blood in the water to put potential opponents on notice that there's no longer Mr. Nice Guy in City Hall.

They want the mayor to tell Cardwell something like this:

"Don't take this wrong. There is nothing political behind this. We may have to let a lot of your people on the city payroll go. After all, we are now a Distressed City and it's important that the city runs 'efficiently and economically.'"

Now, what can Healy offer, and if there is something, is he only buying a few months peace before there is another line in the sand?

Consider that no one has officially announced they are running for mayor. Amazing!

Posted on: 2008/5/19 16:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017