Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hazardous Waste Collection Days
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
So how does one lawfully dispose of items that are not accepted at the HCIA/JCIA hazardous waste collections? Specifically smoke detectors and mercury thermostats.

http://www.hcia.org/index.php?option= ... task=view&id=49&Itemid=68

Robin.

Smoke detectors generally can be returned to the manufacturer for disposal.

NH DES has a great website listing smoke detector manufacturers and their address. You should contact the manufacturer prior to sending them your old smoke detectors.

NH DES Smoke Detector Disposal

Posted on: 2010/2/7 4:42
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
So how does one lawfully dispose of items that are not accepted at the HCIA/JCIA hazardous waste collections? Specifically smoke detectors and mercury thermostats.

http://www.hcia.org/index.php?option= ... task=view&id=49&Itemid=68

Robin.

Posted on: 2010/2/7 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
From the JCIA site:

Tires Commercial or residential tires can be dropped off Mon. - Fri. 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM at the JCIA Main Office (501 Route 440).
Paint Cans Drop off Mon. - Fri. 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM at the JCIA Main Office (501 Route 440). Proof of residency is required.
Oil / Antifreeze Drop off Mon. - Fri. 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM at the JCIA Main Office (501 Route 440). Five gallon limit per person. Proof of residency is required.

See more here http://www.jciaonline.org/recspecial.php

Thanks, that's more helpful than the dimwit who answered the phone at HCIA. This may be all about the difference between the Hudson County Improvement Authority: HCIA, and the Jersey City Incinerator Authority: JCIA. I guess the HCIA doesn't know what the JCIA is doing, or isn't telling. Maybe that's the CIA part showing.

Posted on: 2009/10/2 3:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
thanks for the heads up

Posted on: 2009/10/1 23:00

Re: Anyone else frustrated with the JCIA hazardous waste program?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Next date is Saturday Oct 17th in the morning -- and I agree that it should be more often -- but it seems about as bad elsewhere in the state.

This is really done by Hudson County at the JCIA

HCIA Announces 2009 Household Hazardous Waste Days

SPRING DATES:
Saturday, May 2
Jersey City @ JCIA (501 Route 440)
HOURS: 9AM ? 1PM

FALL DATES:
Saturday, October 17
---------------------------------
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE
The Hudson County Improvement Authority (HCIA) knows that hazardous wastes are items that are dangerous to our environment and cannot be destroyed or disposed of in our everyday trash because they could cause serious harm. For example, paints and pesticides are dangerous substances that when inhaled or consumed can be life threatening. That is why the HCIA runs its Hazardous Waste Collection Programs to help residents rid their homes of these materials.
Items you can bring:

? Pesticides
? Corrosives
? Thinners
? Oil based paint
? Pool chemicals
? Oil based varnishes
? Latex paint *
? Household & car batteries
? Used motor oil
? Solvents
? Cleaners
? Full or partly full aerosol cans **
? Propane tanks (from barbecues only)
? Fire extinguishers
? Formaldehyde
? Fluorescent bulbs
? Herbicides
? Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs)
? Auto and marine flares

COMPUTERS & ELECTRONICS
? Mercury fever thermometers
? Fax machines
? Computers
? Microwaves
? Printers
? Stereo Equipment
? Any consumer electronic item
? Cell phones
? Televisions

* Latex paint can be dried in container and thrown out in regular trash
** Empty aerosol cans can be thrown out in regular trash

Items you canNOT bring:

? Explosives
? Thermostats
? Compressed gas
? Smoke detectors
? Infectious waste
? Asbestos
? Washers, dryers
? Woodlife
? Dioxin & Kepone
? Radioactive material
? Refrigerators
? Ballasts
? Silvex 2,4,5-T
? PCBs or TCCD
? Unknown materials
? Unidentified materials

For more information on any of the programs provided by the Hudson County Improvement Authority please call our Environmental Hotline at
1 (800) 540-0987.
===============================================

HCIA Announces 2009 Household Hazardous Waste Days

SPRING DATES:
Saturday, May 2

FALL DATES:
Saturday, October 17

==========================================
ALSO AS FAR AS Oil / Antifreeze / Paint Cans / Tires

They can be dropped off anytime:
Mon. - Fri. 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM (JCIA Main Office (501 Route 440))
Five gallon limit per person.

Proof of residency is required.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
From the JCIA site:

Tires Commercial or residential tires can be dropped off Mon. - Fri. 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM at the JCIA Main Office (501 Route 440).
Paint Cans Drop off Mon. - Fri. 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM at the JCIA Main Office (501 Route 440). Proof of residency is required.
Oil / Antifreeze Drop off Mon. - Fri. 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM at the JCIA Main Office (501 Route 440). Five gallon limit per person. Proof of residency is required.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 22:28
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Here's is what the GE website says to do with CFL's

What do I do with a CFL when it burns out? What is the proper disposal of a CFL bulb?
Follow these guidelines to dispose your CFL properly:

* Like paint, batteries, thermostats, and other hazardous household items, CFLs should be disposed of properly. Do not throw CFLs away in your household garbage if better disposal options exist. To find out what to do first check www.earth911.org (where you can find disposal options by using your zip code) or call 1-800-CLEAN-UP for local disposal options. Another option is to check directly with your local waste management agency for recycling options and disposal guidelines in your community. Additional information is available at www.lamprecycle.org. Finally, IKEA stores take back used CFLs, and other retailers are currently exploring take back programs.
* If your local waste management agency offers no other disposal options except your household garbage, place the CFL in a plastic bag and seal it before putting it in the trash. If your waste agency incinerates its garbage, you should search a wider geographic area for proper disposal options. Never send a CFL or other mercury containing product to an incinerator.
* ENERGY STAR qualified CFLs have a two-year warranty. If the bulb fails within the warranty period, return it to your retailer.

What should I do if a CFL breaks?
Because there is such a small amount of mercury in CFLs, your greatest risk if a bulb breaks is getting cut from glass shards. Research indicates that there is no immediate health risk to you or your family should a bulb break and it's cleaned up properly. You can minimize any risks by following these proper clean-up and disposal guidelines:

* Sweep up?don't vacuum?all of the glass fragments and fine particles.
* Place broken pieces in a sealed plastic bag and wipe the area with a damp paper towel to pick up any stray shards of glass or fine particles. Put the used towel in the plastic bag as well.
* If weather permits, open windows to allow the room to ventilate.
* Additional information available from the EPA.

Home Depot does indeed have a recycling program. I've a few CFL's to bring there myself. Here's the press release from 2008 - http://www6.homedepot.com/ecooptions/stage/pdf/cfl_recycle.pdf

Consumer Reports just did a piece on CFL's and although most manufacturers indicate that CFL's have no more than 5 mg of Hg, test indicated that many had as little as 1 mg. This being said, still don't throw it in the garbage.

And I thought you could drop stuff off at the JCIA anytime. I guess I was wrong and that really is ridiculous.

JCLXZ - I don't know if that was cynicism, sarcasm, or an attempt at humor but that was just poor.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Does anyone else think this is ridiculous? There should at least be an available drop somewhere in the county. Should we make a stink about it, contact councilmen and such, or am I alone?

You're alone. Everyone else is dumping it in the regular garbage if there's any way to pretend you didn't know it was toxic, like CF bulbs or electronics containing lead solder.

It's not really even necessary to hide it. If it's so toxic that you need to hide it, you should be dumping it under the Turnpike.

GE's advice for CF bulbs is basically to throw the bulbs in the regular garbage (double-bagged to make a nice cocktail of chemicals), as long as you don't know that it's to be incinerated. Home Depot supposedly takes CF bulbs for 'recycling', but I'm sure you'll have about as much luck with that as if you called a hazmat team every time a CF bulb breaks.

To get rid of paint, use one of the convenient drains labeled "drains to your river" at every intersection.

Posted on: 2009/10/1 19:36

Anyone else frustrated with the JCIA hazardous waste program?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I have piles of old paint, fluorescent bulbs and electronics, yet the JCIA only takes these things 4 days a year, for 4 hrs, all on weekend mornings. Between kids, family, and gasp, weekend recreation I've never been able to get to one of these collection days. And they won't take it at any location other than at those dates, even on weekdays. I'd be happy to drive it during the week.

This policy is begging people to just hide the e-waste and C-F bulbs in their regular pickup. I'll bet that's what most people do. I sure want to be environmental, but this is a steep slope.

Does anyone else think this is ridiculous? There should at least be an available drop somewhere in the county. Should we make a stink about it, contact councilmen and such, or am I alone?

Posted on: 2009/10/1 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
can you go to the JCIA at any time to drop off old paint? or do you need a special appt / specified day?

Posted on: 2009/6/1 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
I went to the MUA today in North Bergen. It actually was well organized and a pleasure! A person took all the items directly from my car and I was in and out in 5 minutes.

Posted on: 2008/5/18 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Hudson County Annual Spring Household Hazardous Waste Collection Sites Saturday & Sunday

Weeks, Time, & Drop Off Place Below

Saturday, May 3rd 9am - 1 pm

Jersey City Incinerator Authority
501 Rt. 440 Jersey City

Kearny DPW
357 Berrgen Ave.
Kearny, N.J.

Sunday, May 18th 9am - 1 pm

Bayonne Norton Paints
148 East 5th St. Bayonne

North Bergen MUA
6200 Tonnelle Ave.
North Bergen, Rt. 1&9 & 62nd. St.

For more information on any of the programs provided by the Hudson County Improvement Authority please call our Environmental Hotline at
1 (800) 540-0987.

The Hudson County Improvement Authority (HCIA) knows that hazardous wastes are items that are dangerous to our environment and cannot be destroyed or disposed of in our everyday trash because they could cause serious harm. For example, paints and pesticides are dangerous substances that when inhaled or consumed can be life threatening. That is why the HCIA runs its Hazardous Waste Collection Programs to help residents rid their homes of these materials.

Items you can bring:? Pesticides? Corrosives? Thinners ? Oil based paint? Pool chemicals ? Oil based varnishes? Latex paint * ? Household & car batteries? Used motor oil ? Solvents? Cleaners ? Full or partly full aerosol cans **? Propane tanks (from barbecues only)? Fire extinguishers ? Formaldehyde? Fluorescent bulbs ? Herbicides? Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs)? Auto and marine flaresCOMPUTERS & ELECTRONICS? Mercury fever thermometers? Fax machines? Computers? Microwaves? Printers? Stereo Equipment? Any consumer electronic item? Cell phones? Televisions* Latex paint can be dried in container and thrown out in regular trash**

Empty aerosol cans can be thrown out in regular trash.

Items you canNOT bring:? Explosives ? Thermostats? Compressed gas ? Smoke detectors? Infectious waste ? Asbestos? Washers, dryers ? Woodlife? Dioxin & Kepone ? Radioactive material? Refrigerators ? Ballasts? Silvex 2,4,5-T ? PCBs or TCCD? Unknown materials? Unidentified materials

Posted on: 2008/4/28 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ansky wrote:
Quote:

jcpissed wrote:
These items can be dropped off at the JCIA year round. The spring cleaning fair is simply a reminder to dispose of them properly.

Do they charge you? I have an old PC I need to get rid of.

Nope

Posted on: 2008/4/17 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcpissed wrote:
These items can be dropped off at the JCIA year round. The spring cleaning fair is simply a reminder to dispose of them properly.

Do they charge you? I have an old PC I need to get rid of.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 16:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/24 3:06
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/4/17 6:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
1 (800) 540-0987.

Items you can bring:? Pesticides? Corrosives? Thinners ? Oil based paint? Pool chemicals ? Oil based varnishes? Latex paint * ? Household & car batteries? Used motor oil ? Solvents? Cleaners ? Full or partly full aerosol cans **? Propane tanks (from barbecues only)? Fire extinguishers ? Formaldehyde? Fluorescent bulbs ? Herbicides? Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs)? Auto and marine flaresCOMPUTERS & ELECTRONICS? Mercury fever thermometers? Fax machines? Computers? Microwaves? Printers? Stereo Equipment? Any consumer electronic item? Cell phones? Televisions* Latex paint can be dried in container and thrown out in regular trash**

Empty aerosol cans can be thrown out in regular trash.

Items you canNOT bring:? Explosives ? Thermostats? Compressed gas ? Smoke detectors? Infectious waste ? Asbestos? Washers, dryers ? Woodlife? Dioxin & Kepone ? Radioactive material? Refrigerators ? Ballasts? Silvex 2,4,5-T ? PCBs or TCCD? Unknown materials? Unidentified materials

Posted on: 2008/4/16 16:48

Hazardous Waste Collection Days
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Hudson County Annual Spring Household Hazardous Waste Collection Sites Saturday & Sunday

Weeks, Time, & Drop Off Place Below

Saturday, May 3rd 9am - 1 pm

Jersey City Incinerator Authority
501 Rt. 440 Jersey City

Kearny DPW
357 Berrgen Ave.
Kearny, N.J.

Sunday, May 18th 9am - 1 pm

Bayonne Norton Paints
148 East 5th St. Bayonne

North Bergen MUA
6200 Tonnelle Ave.