Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
53 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 53

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New York Times: PATH Train Commute From Hoboken to 33rd Street and Journal Square to 33rd Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
This link works better - Click Here

Looks the same -- handbags are on the left.

Quote:

ratslayer wrote:
Here's the corrected version
They cut the crap about handbags!

Posted on: 2008/1/25 16:31

Re: New York Times: PATH Train Commute From Hoboken to 33rd Street and Journal Square to 33rd Street
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/19 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the corrected version

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/rea ... q=PATH&st=nyt&oref=slogin

They cut the crap about handbags!

Posted on: 2008/1/25 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
http://devb.net/

Awesome photos.

Posted on: 2008/1/25 14:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:

Do you know if there are any abandoned stops that are maybe messed up but maybe still there? I have a vague impression that, for example, maybe there used to be a stop between Journal Square and Kearney.

alb, Manhattan Transfer used to be located along the right-of-way in Harrison, near the border with Kearny. It was meant for passengers to switch from steam trains to electric trains before the entire line to Philly was electrified. PATH (well, Hudson & Manhattan Railroad) trains did stop there from 1911 to 1937.

Posted on: 2008/1/25 9:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
We have a supposedly world-class newspaper running commuting fluff pieces that should be an embarrassment to the editors and can't be impressing the readers. And they've given the assignment to a reporter whose competence runs to distinguishing Gucci from Louis Vuitton. So which side of the river looks foolish here? I suspect they concocted this "travel" series in the hopes that she wouldn't find her way back some day.

Remember, the NYT never promised ONLY the news that's fit to print.

Posted on: 2008/1/25 4:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I emailed them a correction around 10am, and apparently, they have corrected it sometime this evening. Note, they did not post a correction, they literally corrected the article.

Posted on: 2008/1/25 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Part of me wants to send a letter to the NYTimes. Another part of me just hopes the less attention we give this stupid article, the less it will matter.

I've posted it here before, but I'll say it again and again, I have my own issue with NYers (or anyone from anywhere else) who spends their whole life bad mouthing NJ and then ends up moving here for whatever reason. (Or coming to the beaches or where ever else.) Stay the heck out. Your state is so much better - then stay there. We (or at least I) don't want you here, you don't want to be here, so go away. (End rant.)

Posted on: 2008/1/25 2:43
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
...just wanted to send a nice big F U over to the NY Times, and remind them that in NJ the NY Times print edition is the medium of choice used by homeless people as toilet paper.

Posted on: 2008/1/25 1:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/11 21:52
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSQ wrote:

I think Ms. Cohen wrote her article from imagination and added some pictures from Flickr.

She posted a picture of WTC but she only took the trains from JSQ to 33rd St & Hoboken to 33rd St.

Posted on: 2008/1/25 1:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/4 14:09
From Journal Square, duh!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jediweapon wrote:
Clearly Ms. Cohen is clueless. There must be tens of thousands of commuters between JC and Manhattan on any given day that DON'T park at Harrison and live in West Orange. But she manages to find a couple and extrapolate a trend.

Here's my favorite bone-headed line:
"On both trains I took...there were more men than women. Do the wives all stay home in New Jersey, or work closer to their homes?"

Not exactly Pulitzer-level investigative journalism. Let's hope the NYT's White House correspondent is a little more dogged...

Hey, she forgot to mention that you can still take the PATH to Long Island City!

This reminds of an earlier discussion that I had with somebody (ianmac, perhaps?) who said that our tongues are like horses' butts, when compared with those of a writer form a prestigious publication.
I think Ms. Cohen wrote her article from imagination and added some pictures from Flickr.

Posted on: 2008/1/24 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:

Do you know if there are any abandoned stops that are maybe messed up but maybe still there? I have a vague impression that, for example, maybe there used to be a stop between Journal Square and Kearney.

I don't know about other stops in New Jersey, but there had been a station at 28th Street which later became 33rd Street, and I think there was one at 19th street before the Tubes were completed.

Posted on: 2008/1/24 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Also, PATH trains have much more standing room than the subway, but there were fewer seats.

Go figure.

Posted on: 2008/1/24 17:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/19 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
Tiffany Harrington, a TV producer who lives in Plainfield, N.J., moved there 10 months ago from Piscataway, N.J., where she had been living at home. Now, instead of taking New Jersey Transit?s crowded Northeast Corridor train from Edison and then transferring to the subway, Ms. Harrington takes a different New Jersey Transit train to the PATH station at Journal Square in Jersey City, where she catches a train to Christopher Street in Manhattan.
----------------------------

The New York Times is gonna have to issue a correction. New Jersey Transit doesn't have a train to Journal Square. What a freaking idiot?!

Plus, who gives a f8ck about what designer handbags women are carrying on the PATH. Geez ...

Posted on: 2008/1/24 17:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/23 19:52
Group:
Registered Users
Clearly Ms. Cohen is clueless. There must be tens of thousands of commuters between JC and Manhattan on any given day that DON'T park at Harrison and live in West Orange. But she manages to find a couple and extrapolate a trend.

Here's my favorite bone-headed line:
"On both trains I took...there were more men than women. Do the wives all stay home in New Jersey, or work closer to their homes?"

Not exactly Pulitzer-level investigative journalism. Let's hope the NYT's White House correspondent is a little more dogged...

Posted on: 2008/1/24 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Actually, you are all incorrect. There are 4 Terminals in New Jersey; Hoboken, JSQ, NWK, and Exchange Place.

Posted on: 2008/1/24 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Let's stop the OCD -- I never said "END" stops.

Posted on: 2008/1/24 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:
Actually GrovePath she is correct, there are three terminals (end stops) Hoboken, Journal Square and Newark-Penn Station.

Quote:
In New Jersey, the terminals are Hoboken, Journal Square and Newark-Penn Station.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Wow, what a dumb girl! Does she even know that there are three PATH stops downtown in Jersey City?

Grove Street
Exchange Place
Newport Pavonia

Actually, you are all incorrect. There are 4 Terminals in New Jersey; Hoboken, JSQ, NWK, and Exchange Place. However, Exchange Place does not normally operate as a terminal, but it can if necessary.

Posted on: 2008/1/24 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
just compare her New Jersey articles to this one: Long Island Rail Road from Long Beach to Penn Station

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/07/rea ... 7comm.html?ref=realestate

Posted on: 2008/1/24 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Actually GrovePath she is correct, there are three terminals (end stops) Hoboken, Journal Square and Newark-Penn Station.

Quote:
In New Jersey, the terminals are Hoboken, Journal Square and Newark-Penn Station.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Wow, what a dumb girl! Does she even know that there are three PATH stops downtown in Jersey City?

Grove Street
Exchange Place
Newport Pavonia

Posted on: 2008/1/24 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oh I get it now -- she is another self loathing Jersey girl who is happy to now be a "New Yorker!"

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/16/rea ... omm.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Excerpt:

"As a born and raised New Jerseyian, I have long since developed a force field of state pride that protects me from the bridge-and-tunnel butt-of-all-jokes damage. So it is with some disappointment ? in my former home ? that I ask, What the heck?

I?ve seen a lot of trains, buses, trams and boats in this series of daily commutes, and I can easily say that the New Jersey Transit train from Penn Station to Metropark ? a route I grew up taking ? was the most uncomfortable, dingiest commute yet."

Posted on: 2008/1/24 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Grove Street
Exchange Place
Newport Pavonia

She sings the praises of an hour long commute from Long Beach LI in one of her other pieces. I loved it when she asked the girl in Hoboken why she didn't just move to one of the Boroughs - like most of Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx or Staten Island is a better or shorter commute to Manhattan.

Posted on: 2008/1/24 15:25

New York Times: PATH Train Commute From Hoboken to 33rd Street and Journal Square to 33rd Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image
Turnstiles at the World Trade Center station in Manhattan.

PATH Train From Hoboken to 33rd Street and Journal Square to 33rd Street

The New York Times
By BILLIE COHEN
January 23, 2008

The Journal Square Path station is located on Kennedy Boulevard between Pavonia and Sip Avenues in Jersey City, N.J. 227,000 passengers ride PATH trains every week day.

8:02 a.m., Jan. 23 Wednesday.

I had expected, perhaps swayed by optimistic real estate trend reports of the past few years, to see the Manhattan-bound PATH trains from Hoboken and Jersey City packed with young transplants who?d moved to the state?s urban enclaves for their affordability and up-and-coming status.

Conceivably my timing was off, or I wasn?t on the train that was shuttling those young Jersey urbanites, because most of the commuters I encountered actually lived farther out in New Jersey, and yes ? despite all jokes to the contrary ? they were happy to be living there. Even if it meant commuting in such crowded cattle cars.

Tiffany Harrington, a TV producer who lives in Plainfield, N.J., moved there 10 months ago from Piscataway, N.J., where she had been living at home. Now, instead of taking New Jersey Transit?s crowded Northeast Corridor train from Edison and then transferring to the subway, Ms. Harrington takes a different New Jersey Transit train to the PATH station at Journal Square in Jersey City, where she catches a train to Christopher Street in Manhattan. ?My commute is actually a little bit cheaper now,? she said. ?The change doesn?t bother me. The cost is less and I?m living on my own, so it all works out.?

Another commuter, Jodie Zales, was also new to the PATH train because of a recent move. Though she relocated to Hoboken from Union, N.J. I asked here why she didn?t move all of the way into the boroughs. ?It?s cheaper than the city, a tad cheaper,? she said, adding, ?I grew up in Jersey, so I?m a Jersey girl.?

Since she works long hours as a production manager, Ms. Zales is a satisfied convert to the PATH, which is just one straight shot to her stop at 23rd Street. ?As far as commuting, it?s a relief. I don?t have to worry about catching the last bus,? she said. ?I also like Hoboken. I like having stores right at the corner. Of course, parking sucks.?

Other commuters I interrupted from their quick morning naps had ditched city life for greener backyards and bigger houses. Andrew Chan and his wife moved to West Orange, N.J., seven years ago from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. ?The main thing was housing. It was pretty inexpensive at that time and we wanted more room,? he said. The commute, he added, was an afterthought. ?At the time, I didn?t think too much about it, but after we found a place, I looked at a few maps and talked to neighbors. We could take an express bus to the city, but it?s over $200 a month for one person.?

Instead, he opted for the PATH, which keeps costs down. He still has to drive to the Harrison station, and parking there has gone up in price. ?Harrison used to have more affordable parking,? Mr. Chan said. ?Now with development going on there, it?s about 50 percent more expensive than a year ago.? To save money, his wife drives him to the station.

Overall, it seemed like people living near PATH stations in New Jersey were most similar to commuters who take Metro-North trains. Those who resided closer to the city wanted to be near their jobs, and those who?d moved farther out wanted more space for their family.

Some observations: On both trains I took this morning there were more men than women. Do the wives all stay home in New Jersey, or work closer to their homes? Also, PATH trains have much more standing room than the subway, but there were fewer seats.

==========================================
Commute Time and Cost

Hoboken to 33rd Street: 20 minutes

Journal Square to 33rd Street: 24 minutes

Cost of a ticket: $1.50

========================================
At a Glance

Linking New Jersey?s urban centers to Manhattan, PATH trains move 227,000 people a day. The fare is currently $1.50 but will increase by 25 cents starting March 2 to help cover a number of capital improvements, including new trains that, according to the Port Authority Web site, are supposed to start running this year.

Where It Goes

The PATH runs five lines that connect Manhattan to close-in New Jersey neighborhoods. In Manhattan, you can catch a train at the World Trade Center or roughly along Sixth Avenue between 33rd Street and Christopher Street. In New Jersey, the terminals are Hoboken, Journal Square and Newark-Penn Station.

Strategies

Between 8 and 9 a.m., the trains are packed shoulder to shoulder, but regulars say not to be shy about fighting your way on ? it?s expected. By 9:30 a.m., you?ll find more space but the schedule also starts to drop off so you might have to wait longer for your train.

Trivia

PATH fares were last increased in 2001; before that, they had not been raised since 1987.

============================================

How much of a factor did commuting play in your decision about where to live? Did you make the right choice?

"After living in the apple country of Warwick, N.Y. on top of a mountain with gorgeous views, we decided to move back into the city where I can WALK to work. The 1.45 commute (25-minute drive over the mountain to the N.J. transit station, 50 minutes on a packed train to Hoboken, 15-minute PATH to NYC, and a 10-minute walk to work) has taken its toll. We are ready to give up the ?serenity? for convenience and enjoy time to do things together!" ? Posted by Judith
==================================================

Bags People Carried on the Hoboken PATH to 33rd Street
* Louis Vuitton: 2
* Gucci: 2
* Fendi: 1
* Coach: 1
=============================================

Previous Commutes
The L Train (January 22, 2008)
Staten Island Ferry and Railway (January 18, 2008)
N Train (January 17, 2008)
New Jersey Transit to Metropark (January 16, 2008)
Roosevelt Island Tram (January 15, 2008)
No. 7 Train (January 14, 2008)
Metro-North Harlem Line (January 11, 2008)
The G Train (January 10, 2008)
Metro-North Hudson Line (January 9, 2008)
The No. 3 Train (January 8, 2008)
Long Island Rail Road (January 7, 2008)
Water Taxi (January 4, 2008)
The X68 Express Bus (January 3, 2008)
The A Train (January 2, 2008)
The F Train (December 30, 2007)

Link - with more pictures

Posted on: 2008/1/24 14:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password: