Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: American Indian mom angered by Jersey City school's reaction to racial comment towards son.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
and they all deny using the name Tonto, and that they didn't even know what that would be in reference to

When questioned by a reporter, one of the accused students protested her innocence, saying "I have no idea what Tonto means, Kemo Sabe."

Posted on: 2007/12/23 18:28

American Indian mom angered by Jersey City school's reaction to racial comment towards son.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Mom angered by school's reaction to racial comment

Saturday, December 22, 2007
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

An American Indian Jersey City boy says he was racially taunted in geometry class at Lincoln High School in front of a substitute teacher who ignored the incident, and his mother is blaming the school.

"I felt like I was backed into a corner, like if I was to do anything about it or say anything or get out of my desk, they would have beat up on me," said Richard Siewertsen, 16, of the Lafayette section, referring to the Nov. 14 incident.

Siewertsen is a member of the Lac Vieux Desert Ojibwa tribe and both of his parents are Indians, said his mother, Lisa Brunk.

Siewertsen said that in class he overheard students talking about his facial hair and when he asked what they were talking about, one girl replied, "Who the (blank) you talking to, Tonto," police report say.

He told police about four other girls began chanting "Woo! Woo! Woo!" reports said. The 16-year-old said the substitute teacher did nothing.

"I was humiliated, angry," he said.

Jersey City Board of Education spokesman Gerard Crisonino said the school district is very concerned about allegations of discrimination.

Lincoln Principal Michael Winds is investigating and has spoken to the students involved individually and their parents, he said, adding that other students tell a different story. Crisonino said the other students said they were discussing all of their backgrounds and their physical appearances.

The students said they "didn't at any time single him out as being Native American, and they all deny using the name Tonto, and that they didn't even know what that would be in reference to," Crisonino said, adding that the teacher substantiated their version.

Told of that, Siewertsen stood by his story.

"I'm not surprised they told different stories because they were confronted with an issue that was sensitive and no one wants to admit to being prejudiced," said Siewertsen.

Crisonino said Brunk was invited three times to go to the school and discuss what happened, but she did not. Brunk said she didn't go because she felt she was being patronized.

"They are trying to minimize everything and I don't think this school has been accountable for what is happening," Brunk said.

Posted on: 2007/12/23 17:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017