Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Building subcode official quit under cloud, has new city job at the Business Administrator's Off
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
That department was/is an absolute failure. I had to deal with them for some extremely basic improvements to my condo last year and I have never seen such inept, incompetence in all my life. You are treated like a second rate human to begin with. Like you are a massive thorn in their side and would rather see you dead. Then some 'big contractor tool' comes in and everyone is like, "Hey buddy! How the heck are ya. Come on over and let me grease ya up real good....." How contractors go there each day and pull permits and other crap is a mystery to me. Talk about going Postal. That investigation will take years. The kick backs and inspection bribes must be enormous. I am not surprised this guy wanted out. I bet he knows more than we would like to.
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quit under cloud, has new city job

October 11
By KEN THORBOURNE
JERSEY JOURNAL

Confronted with a state investigation into a conflict of interest involving his wife, Ed Ciolko, Jersey City's former building subcode official, gave up his position in February and surrendered his building inspector's license.

But Ciolko is still pulling down a hefty paycheck from the city of Jersey City.

Reassigned to the Business Administrator's Office to keep tabs on abatement projects and various construction efforts, Ciolko earns $66,700 a year. Indeed, last June he received a $1,500 pay hike. The raise was required by his union contract, city officials said yesterday.

He also received high praise from the city's top official yesterday.

"Due to an investigation conducted by the state, Ed Ciolko decided to give up his building inspector's license, but that does not prohibit him from using his knowledge to benefit the city," Mayor Jerramiah Healy stated yesterday.

"Ed has proven to be a good worker and is knowledgeable in the construction industry," Healy added. "We are utilizing his expertise in various capital improvement projects."

According to several sources and Ciolko himself, his conflict had to do with the fact inspectors working for him conducted inspections on at least three properties his wife, Anna Maria Ciolko, a licensed Realtor, was selling.

It's against state statute for the subcode official to personally profit from actions he or his workers take, officials said.

"The DCA (state Department of Community Affairs) was investigating allegations of a possible conflict of interest involving Mr. Ciolko," DCA spokesman Chris Donnelly stated. "Prior to the conclusion of our investigation, Mr. Ciolko agreed to surrender his licenses. At no point did DCA revoke them."

Ciolko said he would have fought the DCA, but having recently lost a 35-year-old son to lung cancer, and with his wife a breast cancer survivor, he didn't want to put the family through more trauma.

"Basically, I said my family has gone through a lot of change," said Ciolko, a 16-year city employee. "My decision was that I was not to put myself or my family through this."

The Jersey City Police Department is handling an ongoing investigation into the operations of the Office of Construction Code. Since April, an independent auditor hired by the city has recovered more than $1 million in fees from contractors that should have paid to the city.

Posted on: 2007/10/11 19:55

Building subcode official quit under cloud, has new city job at the Business Administrator's Office
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quit under cloud, has new city job

October 11
By KEN THORBOURNE
JERSEY JOURNAL

Confronted with a state investigation into a conflict of interest involving his wife, Ed Ciolko, Jersey City's former building subcode official, gave up his position in February and surrendered his building inspector's license.

But Ciolko is still pulling down a hefty paycheck from the city of Jersey City.

Reassigned to the Business Administrator's Office to keep tabs on abatement projects and various construction efforts, Ciolko earns $66,700 a year. Indeed, last June he received a $1,500 pay hike. The raise was required by his union contract, city officials said yesterday.

He also received high praise from the city's top official yesterday.

"Due to an investigation conducted by the state, Ed Ciolko decided to give up his building inspector's license, but that does not prohibit him from using his knowledge to benefit the city," Mayor Jerramiah Healy stated yesterday.

"Ed has proven to be a good worker and is knowledgeable in the construction industry," Healy added. "We are utilizing his expertise in various capital improvement projects."

According to several sources and Ciolko himself, his conflict had to do with the fact inspectors working for him conducted inspections on at least three properties his wife, Anna Maria Ciolko, a licensed Realtor, was selling.

It's against state statute for the subcode official to personally profit from actions he or his workers take, officials said.

"The DCA (state Department of Community Affairs) was investigating allegations of a possible conflict of interest involving Mr. Ciolko," DCA spokesman Chris Donnelly stated. "Prior to the conclusion of our investigation, Mr. Ciolko agreed to surrender his licenses. At no point did DCA revoke them."

Ciolko said he would have fought the DCA, but having recently lost a 35-year-old son to lung cancer, and with his wife a breast cancer survivor, he didn't want to put the family through more trauma.

"Basically, I said my family has gone through a lot of change," said Ciolko, a 16-year city employee. "My decision was that I was not to put myself or my family through this."

The Jersey City Police Department is handling an ongoing investigation into the operations of the Office of Construction Code. Since April, an independent auditor hired by the city has recovered more than $1 million in fees from contractors that should have paid to the city.

Posted on: 2007/10/11 14:07

Edited by GrovePath on 2007/10/11 14:24:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017