Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Jersey City councilman wants more parking Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City councilman wants more parking Downtown

Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 11:47 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald - The Jersey Journal

Much ado about parking.

Jersey City wants to sell Police Headquarters at 8 Erie Street to help close a budget gap.

Councilman Steve Fulop, who frequently clashes with the administration, wants the city to retain the property's parking spaces to create a municipal parking lot Downtown.

At tonight?s City Council meeting, after Fulop aired his complaints, the administration withdrew a request for the council to adopt a redevelopment plan centered around the Erie property.

The plan would have prohibited developers from turning the property into a parking lot or garage.

Parking is precisely what that area needs, Fulop said.

?Parking for the businesses is paramount,? he said.

Chief of Staff Rosemary McFadden attempted to convince the council to pass the ordinance on first reading. The administration was planning to study the feasibility of creating a municipal parking lot using some of the Erie Street property, McFadden said.

In the end, though, McFadden buckled, and withdrew the ordinance from consideration.

Councilman Bill Gaughan said he doesn?t think removing parking spaces from the property to use as a municipal lot is a ?wise move.?

Posted on: 2011/4/28 14:22

Re: Jersey City councilman wants more parking Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. Urban planning fail.

Posted on: 2011/4/28 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop needs to get those reserved monthly space to open up for the locals first..

Posted on: 2011/4/28 15:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/29 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Isn't downtown already blighted with enough half-full parking lots?

Posted on: 2011/4/28 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
If parking for the businesses is paramount, why not make more of Grove metered? Why not make Newark east of Jersey 1 way and put metered parking on the south side?

Posted on: 2011/4/28 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Just when I think the planning of this city cant get any worse...

and I used to think Fulop was smart. How is catering to more cars ever going to help this city develop for the pedestrians?

Posted on: 2011/4/28 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
parking ain't the issue for newark/grove business owners...

Posted on: 2011/4/28 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The problem on Newark Ave is its a 2 lane road with bus and truck traffic,on top of a narrow roadway.. To ease travel on this road, I suggest doing away with the meters and add a parking lot that can cater to the needs of businesses and locals alike? I think Newark ave after Jersey heading up to the heights, should be made a no parking/standing zone from 7-7 or something and this allows the residents to park overnight also makes the traffic move a bit efficiently when the jitney busses wants to stop for a fare and not back up traffic by stopping in the middle of the road..

Posted on: 2011/4/28 17:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/5 5:47
Group:
Registered Users
Sepcat....

Im not sure if you understand the reserve space parking .....

The reserve parking is only enforced until 5pm then its for whoever gets there first. Its free for the rest of the time. You are never, im going to stress NEVER going to get all the "out of towners" to use public transportation. Due to the masses either working in JC or using one of the trains/ferry system to get to NYC they will drive here, park for free and go on thier merry way without contributing a dime to the city. They get over on us because parking in NYC could be up to 400 to 500 $ a month

I see your wheels turning.... I ll bet your saying "The City tax office will never see a dime of that money, the JCPA collects the funds" . You are right and very wrong at the same time. The JCPA turns over 6 to 8 million dollars a year to City Hall, that is with covering ALL of the PAs overhead.

So think about it.... if the PA didnt turn over that kind of money to City Hall, the city would be another 6 to 8 million in the hole every year. And that would have to be covered by other means.

Im for more parking lots/reserve spaces. If the city uses the property they own and make just a paved lot with (for simple numbers) 100 spaces. Thats 100X $125.00= thats $12500.00 a month. Then after 5pm the residents could use the lots for free. It kills 2 birds with one stone! Thats $150,000.00 a year per lot and more parking for the residents!! Thats only for one lot.

Again im on my soapbox, Ill stop now. This rant was just my 2 cents worth

Posted on: 2011/4/28 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I?m saying those monthly reserved parking should be opened to the residents who has a zone permit or buy a yearly permit that allows them to park in the reserve spots without getting booted. I can?t park in those spots and leave for a minute without worrying about being booted and I?m not there for the whole day.. Can I at least be allowed to park for an hour or 30 mins? CC Drive every time I have driven has plenty of open spots but I cant park and has to find a meter someone or pay for a garage.

Posted on: 2011/4/28 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. Downtown JC does NOT need more parking. It needs less emphasis on vehicles, and it needs to be more pedestrian friendly.

Will anybody who's in charge ever "get it"?

Posted on: 2011/4/28 18:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/5 5:47
Group:
Registered Users
Tom.....

Please tell me how you are going to convince people to stop driving into JC and why would you?? are you saying make it so inconvienent for people to drive here that they dont? I think its great that there are so many places to go to downtown now, go back 20 years there was NOTHING! Why build a wall around JC and not allow the business owners make a little. That way of thinking is selfish.

There has to be an even balance. It takes time.......Not going to happen overnight. To add to that, 20 years for a complete 180 degree turn that the downtown area took is NOTHING because the area keeps changing. Most over the last 20 years is trial and error. Who ever expected all this building there. So many people in one area . Everyone has no patients.
Just the other day I was on Newark ave when a guy was cursing and complaining about the noise of some construction in the area. I said, again my 2 cents worth, "AHHH small price to pay for upgrades to the area." he then said" I moved here so its more convienent for me, I was better off staying in Indiana " i asked where he lived and he told me, I said to him" that building is only 4 years old, now that your here you didnt think what it took to build where you live. The prople across the street from you probably bitched about the construction of your building." His answer was " I dont care what it was like , I just want it quieter". I walked away from that idiot , but I read comments like that on here daily. People all this takes time....PATIENTS!!!

Sep.......

All meters and reserve spaces are free at night . There is no enforcement for meters after 7pm /reserve after 5pm... Thats fair, No?

Posted on: 2011/4/28 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Surface parking lots destroy urban centers and downtown shopping districts. Whatever benefit gained by providing "shoppers" parking is greatly outweighed by the blight parking lots bring to an area. More parking means more cars; cars don't go into stores to buy things or eat at restaurants, people do. Increasing pedestrian traffic is far more important than increasing vehicle traffic.

Moreover there already are plenty of parking spaces in the garage at Grove Pointe and 50 Columbus. If local businesses believe a lack of parking is deterring customers, they should work to have a parking validation system with these existing garages.

Also, the city is preparing to eliminate more street parking. When Columbus drive is repaved and relined, half the street parking will be eliminated either in the morning or in evening, according to the flow of rush hour traffic. The cab stand will be pushed onto Grove Street, eliminating more metered parking.

Surface parking lots increase the distance between shops, are aesthetically unpleasing, and create dangerous pedestrian situations as cars cross the sidewalk to enter or exit the lot. The city should be concentrating on filling in empty lots rather than encouraging more unsightly parking lots.

Posted on: 2011/4/28 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sep.......

All meters and reserve spaces are free at night . There is no enforcement for meters after 7pm /reserve after 5pm... Thats fair, No?

The reserve spaces should be opened up to any city Resident who has already paid for a zone permit or will pay for a permit that allows them to park in the reserve space for 30mins to an hour without the fear of being booted.. And this will keep the space open for anyone with a reserve permit..

On Newark Ave, I'm saying take away the meters and put in a no standing from 7-7 and that would alleviate the traffic on this road.. IF you were to put in a parking lot there, locals can either reserve a spot and it allows people a place to park when shopping at one of the business.

Posted on: 2011/4/28 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Surface parking lots destroy urban centers and downtown shopping districts. Whatever benefit gained by providing "shoppers" parking is greatly outweighed by the blight parking lots bring to an area. More parking means more cars; cars don't go into stores to buy things or eat at restaurants, people do. Increasing pedestrian traffic is far more important than increasing vehicle traffic.

Moreover there already are plenty of parking spaces in the garage at Grove Pointe and 50 Columbus. If local businesses believe a lack of parking is deterring customers, they should work to have a parking validation system with these existing garages.

Also, the city is preparing to eliminate more street parking. When Columbus drive is repaved and relined, half the street parking will be eliminated either in the morning or in evening, according to the flow of rush hour traffic. The cab stand will be pushed onto Grove Street, eliminating more metered parking.

Surface parking lots increase the distance between shops, are aesthetically unpleasing, and create dangerous pedestrian situations as cars cross the sidewalk to enter or exit the lot. The city should be concentrating on filling in empty lots rather than encouraging more unsightly parking lots.

I agree with you in principle, I'm a fan of James Howard Kunstler, the planning critic, but there's more than 1 way to do these things. The lot on 1st between Jersey & Erie is a good example of how not to disrupt the streetscape of the commercial strip.

Personally, while I walk & bike quite a lot, I also often run errands and pick up my kids in the car. More than a few times Grove restaurants missed my lunch business because there was no place to park. West of Jersey on Newark I can usually find a spot.

Posted on: 2011/4/28 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Downtown JC needs parking spaces for residents. The 26" snowstorm was a burden to local residents with cars. There should be parking gargages and lots throught this city.

Posted on: 2011/4/28 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

I think this all comes down to urban planning. I think we need to plan development of Grove, Newark and other areas like any Mall developer would plan it. Let's say we envisage parts of Newark and Grove as a walk-only district (think open-air mall), then we need to guarantee parking spots, and not have prospective shoppers play "hunt the open meter".

Posted on: 2011/4/28 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Downtown JC needs parking spaces for residents. The 26" snowstorm was a burden to local residents with cars. There should be parking gargages and lots throught this city.

You are confusing two different issues. The city should have removed the snow from the streets as was done in many municipalities around the state and the region. And destroying the urban fabric for the occasional very large snowstorm makes absolutely no sense at all.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

I think this all comes down to urban planning. I think we need to plan development of Grove, Newark and other areas like any Mall developer would plan it. Let's say we envisage parts of Newark and Grove as a walk-only district (think open-air mall), then we need to guarantee parking spots, and not have prospective shoppers play "hunt the open meter".

Meter hunting is a big problem since it contributes to traffic congestion as well as air pollutants. The main issue here is that street parking pricing doesn't reflect the real value. Ideally the average shopper would go straight to garage and park -- and there are already public garages on and around Grove Street. But creating more meter and/or free parking doesn't solve the issue. The same way adding more lanes to a highway doesn't reduce congestion, it just means more cars passing through the same location, increasing the number of undervalued spaces merely means more people will opt to park in cheaper street parking than in garages. Instead, there street parking costs should be better managed; meters should cost more to reflect demand and encourage drivers to simply park in a garage rather than encouraging people to park at cheap or free meters.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
If I live in Liberty Harbor and want a quick lunch at It's Greek To Me on a Saturday afternoon, what are my parking options? Is it just driving around the block hoping that a spot opens up? Is it parking at Grove Point and then walking to Jersey Ave? Am I supposed to walk 15 minutes each way and not drive (I probably would not go in that case).

Posted on: 2011/4/29 11:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
JC has 1/2 empty parking garages all over the place. Cities are not supposed to be filled with surface parking for all the reasons stated above. Merchants who are looking for more parking spots would be surprised that those lots don't bring them business but rather drive people away. If you have an empty lot that becomes another storefront or housing vs an empty lot that becomes a parking lot there is no comparison on which is better for the economy of the city and the wallets of the stores in the surrounding area.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 12:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Meter hunting is a big problem since it contributes to traffic congestion as well as air pollutants. The main issue here is that street parking pricing doesn't reflect the real value. Ideally the average shopper would go straight to garage and park -- and there are already public garages on and around Grove Street. But creating more meter and/or free parking doesn't solve the issue. The same way adding more lanes to a highway doesn't reduce congestion, it just means more cars passing through the same location, increasing the number of undervalued spaces merely means more people will opt to park in cheaper street parking than in garages. Instead, there street parking costs should be better managed; meters should cost more to reflect demand and encourage drivers to simply park in a garage rather than encouraging people to park at cheap or free meters.

Agree totally.

Here's an interesting article on using technology to track, price and publish availability of metered parking spaces.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/29/technology/streetline/index.htm

Posted on: 2011/4/29 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

srg1 wrote:
Am I supposed to walk 15 minutes each way and not drive (I probably would not go in that case).

Well, rather simply, yes. Because that's the whole point of living in a city.

Or order delivery.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Agree totally.

Here's an interesting article on using technology to track, price and publish availability of metered parking spaces.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/29/technology/streetline/index.htm

Streets Blog has a really easy to understand video with graphics, and explain a new system of automatically adjusted meter rates.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

srg1 wrote:
If I live in Liberty Harbor and want a quick lunch at It's Greek To Me on a Saturday afternoon, what are my parking options? Is it just driving around the block hoping that a spot opens up? Is it parking at Grove Point and then walking to Jersey Ave? Am I supposed to walk 15 minutes each way and not drive (I probably would not go in that case).

My first thought is - if it takes you 15 minutes to walk from Liberty Harbor to It's Greek to Me, you are walking REALLY slow!

And, like Ian said, the point of living in a city is to live a walkable lifestyle. A 10-15 minute walk is NOT considered a long walk for a city dweller. This is why people who live in cities are generally more fit than car-reliant suburban dwellers.

Honestly, even if your car was parked right outside your residence, and there was a parking spot RIGHT next to It's Greek to Me, I really don't think you'd be saving much time versus walking.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I cannot understand why anyone would ever drive from one place to another within the downtown area, other than to do a large amount of shopping. Anywhere within the Morris Canal Basin, the Hudson River, 12th Street, and the Turnpike is walkable. Weather permitting, obviously.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

srg1 wrote:

My first thought is - if it takes you 15 minutes to walk from Liberty Harbor to It's Greek to Me, you are walking REALLY slow!

And, like Ian said, the point of living in a city is to live a walkable lifestyle. A 10-15 minute walk is NOT considered a long walk for a city dweller. This is why people who live in cities are generally more fit than car-reliant suburban dwellers.

Honestly, even if your car was parked right outside your residence, and there was a parking spot RIGHT next to It's Greek to Me, I really don't think you'd be saving much time versus walking.

agreed, you should prob walk, unless it's raining, then order delivery.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
And if I live in Canco, the argument is that I should take the PATH to Grove and then walk? What if I live in Bayonne?

Has Fulop said where he wants to draw people from? Are these Newport people (they could walk too?)? Or people from out of town?

Posted on: 2011/4/29 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
You should check out that other city across the river. New York. Im still yet to find one large surface parking lot in retail sections, and still crazy people are apparently getting by walking around there. and it doesnt seem to be hurting business either. Obviously, I dont want to compare JC to NYC, but JC can start moving in the right direction of catering to walkers and allowing cars to park on the streets. As opposed to where it seems to be heading. Cater to cars and allow people to walk around busy roads and parking lots. Not to mention those pretty strip malls we have.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I'm no urban planner, but it seems to me that downtown JC doesn't know if it wants to be a city or a suburb. While some people walk, others do their errands in their cars. The public transportation system is not as extensive as in many large cities. Sure, there is the light rail and there are buses, but not everyone lives close to a stop. Some local businesses are definitely suffering, but whether that's because of permit issues, the way the businesses are being run, or lack of customers, I don't know. Or maybe it's because NYC is so close. I wish there was a bus in my neighborhood to zip me to Newark, Grove, and Paulus Hook, as I don't always have time/inclination to walk and I would prefer not to drive. But would enough people use it? That said, the parking decks should have validation systems with local businesses if they don't already, so people are encouraged to shop locally.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 17:07

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017