Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
84 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Paulus Hook Pizza

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/27 20:38
Group:
Registered Users
Just returned from the Paulus Hook Pizza, newly reopen and better than before. The dough is crispier and lighter. Sauce is also redesigned and more flavorful than before. The decor is clean, airy and you can BYOB !!! We are happy back and in business with delivery as well again.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 20:41

Edited by Webmaster on 2009/8/8 6:21:48

Re: Paulus Hook Pizza-back open and better than before !!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I assume you are talking about Paulus Hook Brick Oven Pizza.

I had the chicken parmesan dinner and I thought it was very good. The dinner was pre-made in the morning. It came cold in a take out container and I just heat it up for two to three minutes. You can let them heat it up for you.

The chicken parmesan is a breaded chicken filet over penne pasta, topped with marinara sauce and fresh mozzarella. I thought the meat was tender and the breading was just right. The pasta was al dente. The sauce taste fresh, if that makes sense to you. There was enough for me to make two meals. You might want a side salad with it, which I did not need.

I would like to try the other dinners.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Quote:

labad wrote:
Just returned from the Paulus Hook Pizza, newly reopen and better than before. The dough is crispier and lighter. Sauce is also redesigned and more flavorful than before. The decor is clean, airy and you can BYOB !!! We are happy back and in business with delivery as well again.

So wait... you just returned from the place, but "we" are happy to be back. I think you messed up there champ.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 15:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/7 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
Seriously. What a shill.

Of course this is the landlord who let La Rustique put the oven in and then threw him out at the end of the lease just so he could take over the business. Ethics don't apply here.

I have zero faith in you or your product.

Posted on: 2009/6/28 15:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/25 23:38
Group:
Banned
that is exactly the problem.

as i mentioned in another post, Mr. Lee, the man who owns the liquor store on the corner, is classless and has no ethics.

yes, the pizza is better because it's lighter. you can't even get rustique delivered because it's too heavy, and Paulus Hook pizza basically made the same product but lighter.

BUT, the landlord is a piece of shit. he tripled the rent on the Rustique owners AFTER he built an incredible oven, and then took over his space only to open a new pizza place.

he has no class, and even though the pizza is better, i will not be shopping there. #OOPS# that guy.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
What do you mean you can't get the pizza delivered from Rustique? We get it at least once or twice a month and it arrives here in fine shape.

And, we did try the new/old place. It actually is pretty good, but I felt bad, like I was cheating on Rustique. I guess I'll get over it, because I do like picking up pasta dinners from time to time. There's not much selection in PH, so I am sure it will do well. We'll still continue to order pizza delivery from Rustique.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 22:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/6 17:42
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I have no clue what this heavier/lighter comment is all about? Aside from the taste, I don't see much physical difference between the 'old' pizza and the 'new'.

But, the taste. HUGE difference. We have to stop ourselves from buying this pizza every night. It is TOO GOOD!

The website again:

http://www.paulushookbrickoven.com/

I'm thrilled that the building owner is running this place now, ensuring it will be around for years to come.

You mean we live in a free market economy? Rents go up? There's competition? People are in business to make money?? NO!! SAY IT ISN'T SO!!

But yes, I completely agree, it sucks for La Rustique. But I always hated that they would handle money, handle the phone, and then pick up the bread with their bare hands so I'm glad they are gone.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 20:19
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
same location, same great oven, same pizza, no psycho blond. win, win, win,WIN

Posted on: 2009/7/1 11:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Who invested in the new oven? The owner of the property, or the renters? It is a little unclear from the posts, and will influence whether I decide to try this pizza.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 14:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/25 23:38
Group:
Banned
the owner of rustique paid for the oven, and then his rent was TRIPLED! he told me he expected it to go up, and he didn't have a long term lease because he figured the guy would be realistic. the owner saw the improvements, and recognized the opportunity to eff the owner of rustique. it's that simple.

it doesn't help that the prices he charges for alcohol at his corner store are also astronomical. i have no reason to go over there for liquor or pizza at this point.

and yes, rustique pizza gets cold almost the second it gets into your hands. it's very good, but the product is too heavy, and gets cold fast. ask anyone who has ever ordered a pie to an office in newport.

not a game, not a game, not a game:

http://deadspin.com/5301145/this-is-outstanding?autoplay=true

Posted on: 2009/7/1 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Couldn't the former owner take the oven out (or threaten to do so)? If not it seems like the landlord was very realistic in seizing the investment. Certainly not nice but realistic.

Then again, none of this makes me want to patronize this store. As always, it's a trade off between ruthless but legal business practices and reputation.

Quote:

weinish wrote:
the owner of rustique paid for the oven, and then his rent was TRIPLED! he told me he expected it to go up, and he didn't have a long term lease because he figured the guy would be realistic. the owner saw the improvements, and recognized the opportunity to eff the owner of rustique. it's that simple.

it doesn't help that the prices he charges for alcohol at his corner store are also astronomical. i have no reason to go over there for liquor or pizza at this point.

and yes, rustique pizza gets cold almost the second it gets into your hands. it's very good, but the product is too heavy, and gets cold fast. ask anyone who has ever ordered a pie to an office in newport.

not a game, not a game, not a game:

http://deadspin.com/5301145/this-is-outstanding?autoplay=true

Posted on: 2009/7/2 2:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/8 13:13
Group:
Registered Users
Paulus Hook Brick Oven Pizza is the best in town.

I don't understand why people are so constipated over what happened between the landlord and Rustique. The landlord is a businessman who owns the commercial real estate at the corner of Washington and Morris. If he wants to increase the rent by virtue of the fact that Paulus Hook is developing at a rapid rate, then who's to stop him? Take an emotional laxative and get over it.

Rustique was good -- not great. Had Paulus Hook Brick Oven Pizza tasted horribly, then one could make the argument that the landlord made an error in "forcing" Rustique out of Paulus Hook. However, the landlord, in deciding to manage Paulus Hook Brick Oven Pizza, took a risk in re-opening the pizzeria in hopes of making even better pizza. Based on the comments posted thus far, for those who have tasted the pies, including myself and my wife, it is undeniable that the pizza is extremely delicious. The sauce is perfectly seasoned and sweet; the crust is light and crispy (Rustique's crust was too thick); and the cheese is fresh and not oily -- every other slice I eat in town leaves a residue of oil on my plate, a clear indication that those pizzerias use cheap, processed mozz cheese.

Let's keep this blog chain limited to the narrow issue of how the pizza tastes. The pizza is the best in town. In addition, the landlord is a kind man who makes all of his customers feel welcome when they come in to support his business. There's no reason not to enjoy the pizza at Paulus Hook Brick Oven Pizza.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 13:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 11:37
Group:
Registered Users
I will comment on the pizza. My wife and I have lived in Paulus Hook for six years and ate pizza from La Rustique on a number of occasions. I would say that the pizza there was decent, at best...fresh ingredients but fairly bland. We grabbed a couple of slices from Paulus Hook Brick Oven Pizza on Saturday and were VERY pleased. It is much better pizza. Better sauce, more flavorful. As someone who lives a hundred feet from its front doors...I will be making many visits. It is VERY good pizza...although nothing will ever touch a Sicilian slice at Spumoni Gardens in Bensonhurst.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 0:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/8 13:13
Group:
Registered Users
Weinish,

Your name phonetically speaks for itself. Stop complaining.

And what's your point about the oven? Whether the brick oven is built into the store or a regular pizza stove is screwed into the ground or the floor, that oven becomes a fixture to the building, so that oven legally becomes a part of that building.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I think your name is a clever play on the movie Memento.

As far as the pizza is concerned, we have tried it and it was ok. It will make for a change of pace when we decide to replace Buon Appetito once in a while.

And regarding the oven, when you rent someone else's property and you decide to make a major change to it, you should probably come to some kind of agreement before shelling out the bucks. Otherwise, you should assume you will be giving it up when the lease ends. But it is my impression that neither the owners of La Rustique or the owners of this building are reasonable business people.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 13:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/16 19:10
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I tried this place last night and thought it was pretty terrible. I had a stomach ache the rest of the night. Granted it was later in the evening so the pizza may have been sitting around, but I had a pepperoni slice that was overseasoned, dry, and just tasted funny. The white slice was mediocre at best.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 18:37

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/12 13:06
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I were not impressed with Paulus Hook Pizza. Sauce was too sweet. Crust was spongy and undercooked. Sausage was the thin-sliced grayish brown kind (aka, CHEAP and NASTY). Fresh Mozzarella was ok, but that was the only good part of the pizza. We won't be ordering from them again.

We are definitely of the opinion that John's is still the best Pizza in (down)town (not perfect, but far superior to any other offereing), with Buon Appetito bringing in second place (a serviceable, if flawed pie, bolstered by the fact that this place has great cannoli!).

Posted on: 2009/7/14 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
I ordered from Paulus Hook Pizza last Thursday evening. I thought it was very good. But I would be interested in trying John's. Where are they located?

Posted on: 2009/7/14 21:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
We tried the new spot for the first time and we found it to be ok, but not as good as rustique. The salads are semi-copies, the pie is heavier. It's not bad, but it's not great, and it doesn't seem to have enough of its own personality just yet. Hopefully it will improve with time...

I don't know about the rent/landlord business. If true, that's pretty mean-spirited to take over someone else's oven and business (no relationship to either owner, but have had rustique for a few years).

Posted on: 2009/7/15 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
BUT, the landlord is a piece of shit. he tripled the rent on the Rustique owners AFTER he built an incredible oven, and then took over his space only to open a new pizza place.

After hearing this
I spoke to one of the workers at he new La Rustique. He flatly denied that their move had anything to do with the Landlord. He went on to say that the new ovens are a 100 times better then the old one and that he had to be careful that he did not burn himself pulling pizzas from the old oven.

Where do you get your info?

Posted on: 2009/7/17 4:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 3:40
Group:
Banned
Any wise business man knows that if you go into business, especially a retail business, it's most ideal that you should own the property that you are conducting your business. Actually, it's a fundamental checklist item when starting a new business. I'm sure the La Rustique owner was well aware of this, took a risk and lost out.

I ate at Paulus Hook Pizza this past week and thought the Pizza was very good, if not the same, maybe a little bit better than La Rustique. Notably though, which no one has yet to mention is that there is much more seating available. It's also nicer, too. I was shaded from the sun by the nice green umbrellas. That's definitely a big plus and all the seats were full with a nice lunch time crowd. In short, it's a welcome addition to the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 14:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
I do grant that the outside seating has improved... But the menu is a shameless copy of La Rustique, that right there tells me who is copying whom (and not that well).

Posted on: 2009/7/17 14:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/15 20:22
Group:
Registered Users
Have to agree it looks like the owner posted his own review considering he said "we" are back in business. Other then that I also agree that the wings at the Iron Monkey are probably the best around. As far as the pizza at Paulus Hook definitely too soggy. John's in NYC is actually my favorite. Don't know what's wrong with the one in J.C. but it's not the same. Just not enough taste. Tried it twice but NG.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 18:15

Paulus Hook Pizza

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/8 9:50
Group:
Registered Users
Finally we have GREAT pizza in Paulus Hook !! Nice thin crust, fresh ingredients, and great wine next door !! LOVE their veggie pie with added olives !! So much better than John's Pizza !!!

Posted on: 2009/8/8 1:48

Re: Paulus Hook Pizza

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/12 11:21
Group:
Registered Users
So much better than John's and this place has the potential to be amazing, but there's no product consistency (and I've tried the same pie three times now). I'm hoping the owner is still just working out the kinks.

The ingredients are fresh and perfect, but the proportions are all wacky. One time I went and the crust was a little dense, one time there was so much sauce it was dripping off the sides when I attempted to lift a slice, and one time I went and there were only about three rings of onion on the whole olive and onion pie! Dear owner, please get the pie makers follow a recipe consistently. Thank you!

Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
What we got delivered was god-awful! I wonder how we can tell the owner that we were not happy?

Quote:

simonsays wrote:
So much better than John's and this place has the potential to be amazing, but there's no product consistency (and I've tried the same pie three times now). I'm hoping the owner is still just working out the kinks.

The ingredients are fresh and perfect, but the proportions are all wacky. One time I went and the crust was a little dense, one time there was so much sauce it was dripping off the sides when I attempted to lift a slice, and one time I went and there were only about three rings of onion on the whole olive and onion pie! Dear owner, please get the pie makers follow a recipe consistently. Thank you!

Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
What we got delivered was god-awful! I wonder how we can tell the owner that we were not happy?

Quote:

simonsays wrote:

Yeah--a little suspicious that many of the GLOWING compliments come from newbies and people that have rarely posted on here before.

I've had slices from there a couple of times. I think it's good, but I've never ordered a pie.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 18:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
I lived in the Paulus Hook area for 5 years, and was a weekly visitor to La Rustique and it was my favorite. Now I live over in VVP and recently visited Johns.

I was underwhelmed - too much cheese, not enough basil and too greasy. There is this fine line and dichotomy I must deal with in my exploration of the perfect slice.

On one side is that sentimental perfect Jersey slice. Its not thin crust - its cheesy and it is made for the perfect fold. I love that in a slice.

Then on the other hand - you have La Rustique. Not really traditional NJ pizza as I would classify it - but remarkably good.

I have yet to go to the new Paulus Hook Pizza, but my full evaluation will follow. But for some reason the balance of basil cheese and sauce is optimal for me at La Rustique. Call it a maturation of my pizza sensibilities - but I like it. The more and more I go back the less and less I desire that traditional pizza.

Its like when you think your mother's red sauce is the best on earth and then you go to a restaurant and your perspective is completely changed. You deny it - because of the emotional connection you have to the original - but after a while you realize, much to your dismay. It's true.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 20:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/12 13:06
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCProducer wrote:
I lived in the Paulus Hook area for 5 years, and was a weekly visitor to La Rustique and it was my favorite. Now I live over in VVP and recently visited Johns.

I was underwhelmed - too much cheese, not enough basil and too greasy. There is this fine line and dichotomy I must deal with in my exploration of the perfect slice.

Here's the key to getting the best out of John's: start with the Marinara pizza and build from there. I completely agree with you that the regular Margarita has way too much cheese and is too greasy. The Marinara has no cheese. If you want cheese, ask for a Marinara with FRESH mozzarella. Instead of globs of the shredded rubber stuff that goes on the Margarita, you get thin slices of the real stuff in modest quantities. It makes all the difference.

Generally speaking, there is no GREAT pizza in JC. Sad but true, folks. Still, a John's Mariana with fresh mozz and sausage is as close as we can manage, and frankly, it's really pretty good. Of course, you need to eat it there. Thin crust pies like this don't travel well, and even if you're picking it up and walking only a few blocks home, the few minutes will really kill the pie.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
I went here tonight and got a margherita slice and a slice of pepperoni. It was good enough that I'd definitely go back again.

My one complaint is they put my to go order on a paper plate in a paper bag. Seems like they could get those single-slice cardboard containers like other pizza places have---it keeps the slice warmer and it reduces the chance of getting grease in my car.

Posted on: 2009/9/7 23:58

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017