Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: my first JC parking ticket

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/28 5:03
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
You should be able to, I got the same ticket but didn't have the time or energy to bother going to court.

Has anyone noticed how half the signs are bent or on the ground/non-existent?

Posted on: 2010/7/23 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I just got a ticket for parking at the corner of West Hamilton and Pavonia. I was on the corner but I was well within the boundary of the sign. The ticket says "26-69 Parking prohibited in designated areas." Like I said, I was parked within the boundary of the sign and the curb was not painted red.

Think I'd have a chance at getting it dismissed?

Posted on: 2008/2/16 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
yeah my wife had a warrant for not paying a ticket.. she got pulled over and the police officer handcuffed and put her in the car. But the officer called the court, gave her a new court date and let her go.

Posted on: 2007/12/14 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caps wrote:
Quote:
Go and take photos of the curb. Write a nicely worded letter to the judge, and sound apologetic. Include the photos in with the letter, and say you missed that the curb was red. I have done something similar in a number of cases in NY and NJ and it has worked more often than not. It actually worked for speeding tickets I received on two separate occasions. If the judge doesn't drop it, then just pay it. If he didn't drop it because of your letter, he's not going to drop it in court. This way you've only wasted and hour or two of your time instead of a whole day.

is writing a letter instead of appearing acceptable in jersey city or must you appear in court to fight the parking ticket. i was just wondering if anyone has done this here and if so how you went about it. thanks

No, you can write a letter well in advance of the court date and see how that works out but don't just blow off the court date and not show unless they tell you so. In fact, even if they do tell you that you don't have to show up, I would still show up anyway to personally see to it that your case is officially dismissed. If there is one thing the Municipal court is efficient at, it's automatically issuing warrents for failure to appear. Then you will be a fugitive, hunted like an animal, on the lam for the rest of your life, ducking into doorways whenever you see a police car, only leaving the house after dark, afraid to answer the door even for the pizza guy, answering the phone in a strange foreign accent pretending you are the cleaning lady, changing your hair color every week, getting plastic surgery and having your fingerprints removed and ultimately moving to some uncharted remote location where they could never find you, like Society Hill or Port Liberte.

Posted on: 2007/12/14 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Go and take photos of the curb. Write a nicely worded letter to the judge, and sound apologetic. Include the photos in with the letter, and say you missed that the curb was red. I have done something similar in a number of cases in NY and NJ and it has worked more often than not. It actually worked for speeding tickets I received on two separate occasions. If the judge doesn't drop it, then just pay it. If he didn't drop it because of your letter, he's not going to drop it in court. This way you've only wasted and hour or two of your time instead of a whole day.

is writing a letter instead of appearing acceptable in jersey city or must you appear in court to fight the parking ticket. i was just wondering if anyone has done this here and if so how you went about it. thanks

Posted on: 2007/12/14 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caps wrote:
i received my first parking ticket in JC. i have only had my car here for a few weeks thus far. i parked on 4th street btwn jersey and coles next to the former funeral home. i parked in the last spot i thought was available right at the end of 4th and the corner of jersey. the ticket i received was for parking in prohibited designated areas. the red markings i noticed are barely visible on the curb, all worn away. it is for $42. i hate throwing away money on this shit. has anyone actually gone to court to fight one of these and if so is it really worth it, are there court costs involved, etc. i parked on that side around 1pm to avoid the street sweeping on the other side from 1-3pm. is it worth fighting this or just to forget about it and and pay it. any similar experiences or info would be appreciated.

Save youself a buck and fight the ticket. Bring tons of paperwork as a "burden" of proof. Hey like any job they make mistakes too luckily you have a court system to be heard. And BTW welcome to Jersey City read you N.J state driver's manual. Stay off the corners and play musical cars. Most of all buy a folding bike !

Posted on: 2007/9/27 17:23

Parking Court Changes - Help me out please!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/24 21:03
Group:
Registered Users
I know the times have changed for parking court, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the judges changed along with them.

There used to be two judges, the nice sympathetic one (has mustache, thinning hair) and the not so nice one that wouldn't even let a husband represent his wife.

Does anyone know what the name of the nice judge is? Is he still working parking court? And most importantly WHAT DAYS AND TIMES?

Thanks for all your help. Like many people I work int he city and I am willing to take the time off to fight a ticket, but I cannot waste time if the judge is just going to keep the fine.

Thanks
Snorky
JC Heights

Posted on: 2007/9/24 20:29

Re: Is it worth fighting a parking ticket?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
Hello...I read another thread on this a few weeks ago and decided to fight 2 tickets. One for cleaning and the other, for parking on the red. I was excused for both. So it's definitely worth it. Please have photos to hand in or any documentation. I said that there may have been construction and that's why I couldn't find any parking. The street cleaning one, I said I was not able to go out due to my son. At least, the court can reduce the fine.

Thanks for all who posted about this in the other thread.

Posted on: 2007/8/8 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
I love the idea of fighting it in theory, however in my experience fighting tickets in other counties is that it takes a long time to stand in line, speak to the prosecutor, and even then you only have a 50-50 chance of not succeeding & having court fees on top of that (maybe not in hudson county, I'm not sure...).

On top of that, you have to ask what your time is worth. If you have alot of spare time, go for it.

I think JC Parking authority routinely gives out bogus tickets because they know that people rarely will fight them. Good luck if you do fight it!

Posted on: 2007/8/8 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
You need to look at the state statute and or the New Jersey drivers? manual. If there is a law re: how many feet you must be from a corner/intersection and you parked within that limit (IMO) it?s not worth it. If it is only a local law and the signs and or/paint is not clearly visible ?.fight it!

Posted on: 2007/8/7 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Take pictures that bolster your case, be earnest and respectful and the ticket just might be dismissed.

Why pay, what, $70?

Posted on: 2007/8/7 23:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
Might as well try. If nothing else, they may charge you the minimum which can sometimes be half of what you'd pay at the window.

Posted on: 2007/8/7 23:11

Is it worth fighting a parking ticket?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/6 22:09
Group:
Registered Users
I recently had a parking ticket stuck in my driver's side mirror, apparently for parking in a red zone. This was at Erie & 3rd, near the corner, but about 10 feet back from the marked crosswalk. If you look closely during the day, you can see faded rusty red paint on the curb extending even farther from the crosswalk. The signs appear to indicate that parking is permitted (ie, no signs like "No Parking Here to Corner"). I, and many others, have parked there before. This is my first ticket. (I'm a resident w/valid parking permit.)

Is it worth trying to fight it? If yes, any thoughts on approach?

Posted on: 2007/8/7 23:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/9 20:30
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/7/20 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
i'm trying to decide whether it is worth it to burn a vacation day or half day for $42. if it weren't for that i would have no problem fighting the ticket

Posted on: 2007/7/20 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Quote:
i'm curious if i could start a side business helping citizens fight tickets. ... would anyone pay for such a service? you could beat the ticket without having to miss a day of work...

You would be practicing law without a license, which is not allowed.

Robin.

helping is fine, you just can't represent them in court

Posted on: 2007/7/20 20:13
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
i'm curious if i could start a side business helping citizens fight tickets. ... would anyone pay for such a service? you could beat the ticket without having to miss a day of work...

You would be practicing law without a license, which is not allowed.

Robin.

Posted on: 2007/7/20 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I want one of these badges

We were all 'heads-up' when we saw a JCPA officer patrol around the construction site - we were all ok, as the young guys had moved their cars earlier.
However we all commented that a certain Chevy Tahoe is going to get a ticket as it was still in the same place well past the signed time restriction and had been doing it for a few days now.

When I left early to inspect my guys work at another site, I had to walk past the Chevy only to discover why it didn't get a ticket. What pissed me off was a car a few feet away did get a ticket.

On closer inspection, I found out a possible reason to why the Chevy never got a ticket

Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/7/20 19:19
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
no wonder JCPA make no money - who is responsible for parking signs and painting the curbs. It seems that this is the underlying problem and a safety issue. I'd also like to see painted bays at parking meters.

It all seems like an easy fix and I've got a painting crew that would love a slack-ass job painting curbs and bays on week-ends. Their rate is cost effective and I'd be happy to project manage it at a fair price - I'd even get the cops to do traffic control so they get their 'off-duty' money watching us work - I'd also supply a chair for the cop if he gets tired standing!

Posted on: 2007/7/19 11:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/30 16:31
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
sorry to hear about your first parking ticket. welcome to JC. consider it a rite of passage.

i've fought every questionable ticket i'd received, and won each time. plead not guilty. collect evidence for your case. the red lines are faded and not visible? take pictures that show the whole sidewalk from the street, and from the sidewalk. you want to prove that it was hard to see. present a good case in an intelligent, logical manner, and the judge may dismiss it.

Posted on: 2007/7/19 7:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/16 20:20
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, if you have the free time, contest the ticket. But if you're a working fool and it's more cost effective to pay it than spend your time in JC MUNI court, here are some words of advice -

-never park on a corner; even if there's a question about the distance, parking on a corner can be dangerous to your health and/or your car (a car recently rammed into my friend's car while parked on a corner cause one car ran the stop sign onto Jersey Ave and ran into another car, sending the second car into hers);

-totally check out the signs - they can get tricky from streets to aves - that always screws me up;

-don't park anywhere near a fire hydrant, even if it looks like it hasn't been used since 1939;

-don't get so wasted that your hangover is so bad that you can't make it outside by 12:45pm to move your car.

Experienced words from someone who has probably paid enough to JC in one year to buy a brand new MINI TICKET MOBILE.

Posted on: 2007/7/19 0:58
It's Frank's world...we just live in it.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Word of advice: If you go to contest the ticket, even if it's 120 degrees out, do not wear shorts. They're deemed improper apparel no matter how much sense it makes to wear them. The one time I contested a ticket, I trudged up there on such a day only to be told I couldn't enter the court wearing shorts. I really didn't feel like walking back home and changing and had the brilliant idea that there might be a place on Bergen Ave. I could get a cheap pair of jeans. Sure enough, there was this tiny hole in the wall selling jeans for about $12--specifically marketed to bozos like me who thought they could get into traffic court wearing shorts. Not sure if this applies only to males.

But yeah, watching a bunch of cases before mine, it seemed that anyone with even a half-assed excuse gets the ticket at least cut in half if not dismissed.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
There is no parking within 25 feet from the crosswalk or intersection, or 50 feet from a stop sign. That's on the written test we took for our drivers' licenses. It doesn't need to be specially marked as prohibited.

If you were too close to the corner, the ticket will still read "parking prohibited in designated areas"

So very true, BUT people in general are stupid and most would not know what 25 feet looks like visually.

Get JCPA to employ some guy to splash some yellow paint on the curbs around at intersections and fire hydrants - that splash of yellow paint could save a dude from getting run over one day!

Posted on: 2007/7/18 12:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/10 14:28
Group:
Registered Users
I just want to say that I know that the lack of parking is annoying, but it's much more annoying to be practically run down every time I try to cross the street at a cross walk because cars are parked all the way to the end of the curb on every block so that I have to walk to the middle of the street to even see if cars are coming.

It's dangerous, and I wish they would ticket for this more and more consistently so that people would stop doing it.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
There is no parking within 25 feet from the crosswalk or intersection, or 50 feet from a stop sign. That's on the written test we took for our drivers' licenses. It doesn't need to be specially marked as prohibited.

If you were too close to the corner, the ticket will still read "parking prohibited in designated areas"

Posted on: 2007/7/18 3:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/8 23:34
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
As a matter of fact I contested a parking ticket at the Municipal Court yesterday morning at 9 am (the "walk-in" court). It was for a ticket we got when we parked at Newark Avenue (by Little India) in a supposedly prohibited area. I took pictures of the spot where we got ticketed, there were no indications whatsoever that parking was illegal (no yellow line, no signs, not even close to the corner of Newark and Tonelle Ave.). The Judge dismissed the case right away after seeing all the pictures I provided.

There is no fee for showing up in court, it was actually a pretty straighforward process. Just go when the walk-in court is in session (apparently on Fridays at 1 pm and Mondays at 9 am). Bring your ticket, fill it out with your personal information and bring "printed" pictures for evidence, if applicable. Pictures in digital cameras or in laptops are not accepted since they can not be retained by the Judge. The cases are processed pretty quickly. Hope this helps...

Posted on: 2007/7/18 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
get a suction cup 'police plate assoc. thing' and stick it on your window and you'll never see a ticket again.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caps wrote:
are there any costs/fees associated with fighting the ticket that would make this not worth the time for $42?
thanks for all the info

Yeah, your time, which depending on court day, time, etc, whatever you bill out or earn is a loss against the $42 ticket. I was off that day so it was on my free time.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 1:53
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
are there any costs/fees associated with fighting the ticket that would make this not worth the time for $42?
thanks for all the info

Posted on: 2007/7/18 1:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/3 12:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:

Yes. I've fought many a ticket in court. From what I've seen, even half-assed excuses get cases dismissed. My favorite one was from one middle-aged man who said, "Judge, I had to go upstairs to my apartment to pee, so I double parked on Westside Ave." Case dismissed.

In Melbourne Aust. a parking infringement would be dismissed if the vehicle was parked illegally due to a medical emergency or mechanical / safety failure of the vehicle.

I would often hear stories of nose bleeds to feeling faint to busted radiator hoses to have a Judge dismiss an infringement. Legislation was so written and open to interpretation, that the Judge had no alternative but to void the infringement.
I would assume that JC has similar legislation in place.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 1:00

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017