Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: best time to sell?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/21 0:41
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
my condolences on your loss as well.

as i am not a professional, but i have been following the market and living here for 6 years, the prices in jc have been dropping for the last year and a half. if it were me, i would price it to leave as soon as possible, as prices in the area have started their inevitable decline. add to that the flood of condominiums that are about to come on the market from all the new developments, and you could have a serious issue on your hands where your property values spiral downwards out of control.

Posted on: 2007/7/19 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Remain positive, do whats best for you and the kids.

Consider an extra room for the in-laws if you move so they can visit - Tough emotional time for all concerned and good luck.

Posted on: 2007/7/19 11:58
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/4 18:12
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for all the input--truth is, we had spoken several times about selling and had pretty much decided we would--unless we could afford to keep the house and rent it--so selling it wouldnot necessarily be an emotional decision. I have two small children, no family in this area (except for the in-law's). I have a very loving, supportive family in another state, and we had talked of moving there several times, so I have peace about selling.

So I think it's a matter of "when" and not "if". At this point, I can't fathom spending the winter here. Winter here w/o my husband, just simply makes me sad. So, it looks like the house may go up for sale sooner rather than later and I may even try selling it on my own. I know there are a lot of benefits to having an agent, but I'm hoping the house will sell itself and I'd rather have that commission figure for my kids.

Thanks for your input and your condolences. I am sorry to have to leave this area---we had really a beautiful life here and my husband loved to hear about the craziness of jclist---how we laughed together, late at night-after the kids had gone to sleep and I was on the net--especially about the MELT! thread.. btw, does anyone know where Glenn is? He's one person I wanted to let know about my husband's death, we were regulars.

Posted on: 2007/7/19 11:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 18:19
Group:
Registered Users
My condolences on your loss.

Most maintenance companies will want you to have commercial insurance if you decide to rent out both units in your building. Commercial is more expensive than traditional insurance, so it's another expense to consider if you decide to rent out the whole bldg.

I think you're probably looking at $250-350 a month for a maintenance company.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 20:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/25 14:17
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I think you have a number of good suggestions here. I also think staying put until at least the spring would be best. Not only for selling your home at the best possible price, but also to allow your emotions to settle a bit more and think things through one more time. I would hate to see you regret a rushed decision, especially with something as important as what you're considering.

Good luck. I will keep you in my prayers.

Romans 8:28

Posted on: 2007/7/18 13:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the input, advice and suggestions. Anyone happen to know what a property manager/management company charges for renting/managing a property?

I never thought I'd be in this position--but seems like all executive decisions are now mine. Gotta do what's best for me and the kids. Thankfully I have some time to decide.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2007/7/14 11:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/9 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
My sincere apologies on your loss.

I can't imagine what you are going thru. The downtown market is constantly growing and I am sure a 2 family priced right will sell right away. Of course if you can afford to hold on you may want to consider hiring a property manager to mange the property.

God Bless.

Posted on: 2007/7/14 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Please accept my condolences for your loss.

I hope you have a support system in place, friends, family and a good lawyer to handle those thing you can't or are emotionally unable to take care of, to help you through this difficult time.
Having gone through this same thing I can understand the emotion roller coaster you are experiencing.

Posted on: 2007/7/14 0:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Personal necessity dictates the best time to sell.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 23:47
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Please accept my condolences for your loss.

Don't try to time the market. Do what you have to do for your financial and emotional health. If the house is a financial burden to carry in the short term, the best thing is to sell it sooner as opposed to later.

Good luck!

Quote:

eeriegal wrote:
...I just can't see us staying here, long term. Of course, I'm not making any quick decisions, I got enough on my plate as it is. I'm thinking we should stay through the winter and list the house in the early spring...by then maybe things around will look even better and maybe we'll get a better price? I hope.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
eriegal,

I am so sorry for your loss.

Hang in there!

Posted on: 2007/7/13 14:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/19 21:47
Group:
Registered Users
Be careful - lossing a loved one and moving are terrible stressors for you and your children.

People usually sell/buy in spring so that kids are in new residence for start of the school year in September. Not sure if that applies to someone buying in JC. Houses seem to be selling well in downtown except for the ones that appear to be priced in Lira. You might find some bargains at the place you want to move to if sellers are anxious to get out for the start of the school year. But seriously are you ready for more upheaval?

My deepest condolences.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 12:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry for your loss.

If you stay till next spring, the market is supposed to be better.

You might want to consider keeping the house, renting it out, and using the house as a college fund for your children, or for your retirement.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 12:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/31 20:08
Group:
Registered Users
One suggestion if I may have is that if your principle is pretty low or own for a few years you could rent it out and the income would or may cover the mortgage and maint. You may make a marginal profit by holding off for 6 months to a year and then sell it, but you never can tell in the near term with the market right now. If you can swing renting it out and decide to sell in 5 - 10 years you will realize a greater profit.

If selling prices holds steady or go down slightly the rental potential increases so you may be able to be in a stong position to rent.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 11:50

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's a house...two family w/ a great little apartment downstairs and a decent sized yard. I've been told it has great "curb appeal" or whatever is it that realtor's say...we're in Harsimus Cove. And it's not a matter of if, I do believe it's just a matter of when. I'm just thinking that putting it on the market in the Spring might be better than trying to put it on sooner---nevermind the craziness I'm dealing with right now (wills, estate, 2 kids, grief..etc...), that makes the Spring seem much more appealling to me.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 10:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

eeriegal wrote:
Looks like we're ultimately going to have to move from Downtown JC. My husband died last week and it's just me and the kids and well, I just can't see us staying here, long term. Of course, I'm not making any quick decisions, I got enough on my plate as it is. I'm thinking we should stay through the winter and list the house in the early spring...by then maybe things around will look even better and maybe we'll get a better price? I hope.

...or not.

If you're not planning on staying at least 5 to 10 years you should do what's best for you now. The days of flipper great increases are probably over. There are over 10,000 new condos online now to be built in next 2 years. Unless you own a house there will be a glut of condos next year. And that's not even considering economic indicators which could affect you and all of us negatively plus the oncoming reval that will drive taxes up higher.

Since you didn't indicate whether you own a house or condo you should consider the above in your future plans.

Good luck and so sorry for your loss.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 5:44
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
my sympathies on your loss

I would call in a realtor to get an appraisal, and depending on the ages of your children and your satisfaction with their schools if they are of school age , and your satisfaction with JC, let that be your guide.

Are you near family and friends?

Posted on: 2007/7/13 5:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users
sorry to hear about your husband.

my 2 cents: the longer you wait, the more money you'll make.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 4:01

best time to sell?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like we're ultimately going to have to move from Downtown JC. My husband died last week and it's just me and the kids and well, I just can't see us staying here, long term. Of course, I'm not making any quick decisions, I got enough on my plate as it is. I'm thinking we should stay through the winter and list the house in the early spring...by then maybe things around will look even better and maybe we'll get a better price? I hope.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 3:21

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017