Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Is it safe for two single women to live in this neighborhood? Please help!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/11 12:35
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Pacific and Lafayette actually ain't that bad of a bet. There will, of course, be claims that I am insane, but I watch the neighborhood closely. My first job back in '98 I had Columbia paint Lab as a customer, and the place was crazy scary- a lot of lifers here seem to have that image locked in their minds, and it's an out of the way place, so folks don't often go down there.

However, the storefronts are being cleaned up. It's close to the light rail (like 300 meters), it has a nice totally refurbished park (lafayette park) with super expensive condos fronting it, in the old mill, and some REALLY underpriced brickstones and townhouses directly on the park. the only thing that holds me back is the fact that I live in the coolest of all neighborhoods, 3 blocks from the Grove st. Path.

If I were you, I would buy in a place like this- its cheaper than renting in hamilton park, and its about to pop, so you could not only have a sweet pad, but a nice moneymaker as well.

Summit Ave is sketcherific.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 14:00
"Contemplate this upon the Tree of Woe."

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
OH ENOUGH.

xjuliet, bottomline: JC can be a fun and convenient place to live if you dig conveniences, a multi-cultural and diverse urban setting, and of course NYC, but in the end, there are FAR safer places to live in NJ than Jersey City.

live at your own risk.

Posted on: 2007/7/13 10:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

xjuliet619x wrote:

Is this area as bad as is seems?

yes

Posted on: 2007/7/13 5:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I live in until-recently seemingly safe VVP and now all hell is breaking loose.

Are you talking about just the stuff reported here and in the Jersey Journal, or other stuff?

Personally, I don't think the stuff I've seen reported here constitutes any kind of serious crime wave. To me, it feels as if the police have the streets under much better control than they did, say, in March 2006.

There is a spate of crime happening in this neighborhood that has been well-documented on other threads and within the local community. Not sure it's "under control" but the community is taking a very aggressive stance against it, which is amazing and should result in some action.

I still love where I live and feel safe most of the time and believe that it will get better. But it's naive to ignore it.

(Again, very well-documented in other threads, so let's not continue this part of the convo here.)

Posted on: 2007/7/12 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
you wanna be looking Downtown, Palus hook, near VVP or HP or newport.

What about Journal Square? (And by that, I mean really being two or three blocks from the PATH station station and plaza area, not, say, by Lincoln Park.) To me, Journal Square is feeling a lot nicer and safer than it did a few years ago.

When I drive around that area of JSQ it seems like any other city during the day/night. I'd agree that it's seems nicer right around the path station in the past few years. But for me, it's a matter of convenience. I work in the city and usually go out in the city so the added commute time is a pain (ok, so it's only a few minutes.)

Posted on: 2007/7/12 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I live in until-recently seemingly safe VVP and now all hell is breaking loose.

Are you talking about just the stuff reported here and in the Jersey Journal, or other stuff?

Personally, I don't think the stuff I've seen reported here constitutes any kind of serious crime wave. To me, it feels as if the police have the streets under much better control than they did, say, in March 2006.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 14:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/18 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
i live on fairmount ave, grew up in jc, and went to high school not far from where I live now, so Im sure I have a different perspective on things, since the neighborhood is familiar to me, but I do belive that overall its not a bad place to live.

but...there are still alot of sketchy people around. if you decide to take the apartment, I would limit your outside time as much as possible. don\'t go to the corner store, or go exploring. I find myself trying to hide the fact that I wear a shirt and tie to work, or that I have nice things. this could be totally unnecessary, and all in my own mind, but its just what I do.

the walk to the path station (jsq?) is honestly not bad at all. I see alot of other professionals doing it as well.

I\'m hoping more professionals do move into the area, but you\'ve got to feel safe where you live, so just follow your instincts. if the neighborhood feels unsafe, than it might not be for you.

I like realtor.com. they often give you a map of where the property is. http://rentals.realtor.com/rentals/

good luck!

Posted on: 2007/7/12 13:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/8 4:55
From Hidden Valley
Group:
Registered Users
You should be able to find a nice, big 1 bedroom or a small 2 bedroom in the newark to holland, erie to monmouth area for $1350 a month, or even in the van vorst area you should be able to find a 1 bedroom for $1350 a month.

Even in these areas it all boils down to being street smart. There are plenty of crimes in Kansas as well, so any area can be dangerous. In Kansas its just kids with shovels instead of bricks, and they want money to buy a fishing lure instead of Crack.

Know your surroundings and be smart.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 12:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/4 14:09
From Journal Square, duh!
Group:
Registered Users
I think that around JSQ, north of Montgomery is absolutely OK at any hour. South of Communipaw is very scary, though I can't tell how dangerous it can be, I never had the luck of being mugged.
I sometimes come in the evenings, close to midnight, on the 5 from downtown (that is, on Monticello, next street East), and young men / boys hang on the street, on the tens, up to Duncan Ave. It feel scary. Whenever I see person whose shirt is not longer that his pants, I feel sorry for him, I am thinking he's either under siege in house after sunset or he just lost his way while going to another nieghbourhood.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 5:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/12/28 2:22
Group:
Registered Users
No.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Lots of good smart advice so far. I would just add that it might help to think about how you are going to spend your time at home and your social life. For instance, if you think you will be coming home from the city (or even downtown JC or Hoboken) at late hours, you may want to be extra careful about safety, and/or make budget allowances for cab rides and so on.

On similar threads people have recommended checking potential neighborhoods out at various times of day so you get a better feel for the place, which is a really good idea. Maybe stop in to some of the local places you think you might hang out and talk to people there too. And trust your gut.

But what do I know -- I live in until-recently seemingly safe VVP and now all hell is breaking loose. (I don't even know if I am being sarcastic or not.)

Good luck with whatever you do! It's an awesome city and I hope you and your roommate find something great.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 1:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/22 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
How about Little India ( around Newark Ave, a couple blocks from Journal Square)? Lots of street life, seems safer than most of downtown. Oh and good Indian food.

If you really plan on driving everywhere Society Hill might work for you- a sleepy gated community off 440, just north of the Bayonne border. Or maybe Bayonne would be a better option for your price range.

I wouldn't live around Communipaw, but lots of people do.

Posted on: 2007/7/12 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
the dodgiest part on communipaw is the intersection between the liquor store and crown's chicken.

to the OP, I would seriously pay up to live within a 10 min walk to the path, preferably exchange place. If it is impossible, try looking for a third roommate. I always see ads by people in newport who want roommates.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
I was born and raised here, and I have to say that I would never live up there because of safety concerns. It's especially scary for two young single women. Remember that the gorgeous apartment is cheap for a reason.

If you can't afford downtown, I would suggest you look up in the Heights. It's probably a bit safer. There are some other pocket areas that are safer as well. I suggest that you get out and walk around a neighborhood before you sign a lease. Maybe even talk to some store owners. They'll tell you the truth about the neighborhood.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
There are two Craigslist for this area. They have different ads on them. My guess is that the New Jersey one has cheaper apartments than the New York one.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/ ... =min&maxAsk=max&bedrooms=

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/searc ... =min&maxAsk=max&bedrooms=

Posted on: 2007/7/11 17:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/10/2 21:27
Group:
Registered Users
I just bought a condo at Westside Station about 5 blocks from where you are looking (3 blcks south of Communipaw and closer to Rte 440). About 60% of downtown JC prices. At first I was stressed out about the neighborhood having moved from the NJ burbs but I've definitely acclimated since and have met/interacted with nice neighbors both locals and transplants like me and my husband. With 2 dogs, we go to Lincoln Park every day and we love it. The cops are always friendly to us and we've gotten to know alot of other dog owners. Communipaw is fine for the most part. I have no qualms going to Walgreens or McD's or KFC (I'll admit we always drive) day or night. But when I walk home from the train station after dark, I will confess that I do try to remain alert to my surroundings. Since you have a car I would try it out. The good thing about rentals is that you only have to commit to a year. Anyways, given the spate of crimes in downtown JC (see other posts) I think it kind of diminishes some of the other posters' arguments that downtown is so much better. Best of luck with your rental search!

Posted on: 2007/7/11 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:

What about Journal Square? (And by that, I mean really being two or three blocks from the PATH station station and plaza area, not, say, by Lincoln Park.) To me, Journal Square is feeling a lot nicer and safer than it did a few years ago.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
cycling is definitely not the same as walking - the experience is more like riding in your car. having drive up/down Communipaw in the last 19 years i've lived in JC, more often than not, there's quite a few shady characters (not including the cops), on that street, within spitting distance of the police station near the KFC.

if you include driving from downtown Paulus Hook via Grand, there's the skanky street walkers in/around the corner of Grand/Communipaw

Posted on: 2007/7/11 17:18

Re: Dodgy parts of town.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
You would want to stay Downtown for sure.
Anything farther away requires lots of know how
in order to survive unharmed.
If you are new to JC, get a place downtown first
and then take time to learn the rest of the city.
My friends, for instance, who moved from
Erie St. down here up to Garfield -- into a gorgeous
house, mind you-- say they are afraid to so much
as take the garbage out to the curb at nite.
They spend all their time in the car, as walking
is out of the question for the wife and two
daughters. Who wants to live like that?

Posted on: 2007/7/11 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Which bits? Seriously, I go along there all the time and it seems OK.

I kind of thought there was another part of Communipaw down near Liberty State Park that was the bad bit.

I have cycled down to Liberty State park and some of the backstreets around there really do look dodgy, I don't see anything like that on the parts of Communipaw I frequent (from Grand to 440).

Robin.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bloodtv wrote:
For the two ladies looking for a two-bedroom apt... Where on craigslist are you looking? There are Jersey Heights apts. all over the place there...and some cheaper then $1300.00.

In fact in my neighborhood alone, there are signs for 'for rent' apts. all over the place. The heights is like every major city inner borough area...check out your neighborhood or prospective streets before plunking down the cash...

The area where you inquired has been well documented on this site for the occasional robberies, assaults, etc. so I suggest checking out the downtown or heights areas.

By the way, just so everybody knows where I'm at with this...I do NOT love the heights...a little noisy for my tastes, and try to tell people to stay away from anything west of Central ave. (NY ave, Webster ave...for most of its' stretch...), but there IS a real neighborhood feel here, plenty of cheap eats (but do NOT go anywhere near the inexplicably overrated Mexican Glory of Mexico place on Congress! -- worst service ever, food only ok, no ac - ugh!)...but my rent is cheap (less than $1000.00 for a 2-bedroom apt. and ...I am near Bowers and JFK, so the block is not too bad.

My best advice to two single women sharing an apt around here is...keep in mind that...after midnight that it is tough travelling w/o a car...the path runs sluggish, slow, and usually off schedule, and you will have to take a cab from the Journal Square station...And, NJ Transit buses run at 11:30, 12, 12:35 and that's it...until the next morning...

Best to your search

Best advice yet!!!

DTG

Posted on: 2007/7/11 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i second that.

Communipaw = Dodgy.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Where are the dodgy parts of Communipaw?

I ride my bicycle up Grand to Communipaw, and then along Communipaw all the way to 440, and it all seems fine to me. Is there another part of Communipaw that is the shady bit?

I have also been along the long road that goes from Communipaw out to Bayonne (Garfield is it?), and that again seems fine, though I gather that area is called Greenville which is reputed to be a bad area.

So where exactly are dodgy parts of town?

Robin.

Seriously? I wasn't aware any part of communipaw is NOT dodgy.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 17:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/3 10:24
Group:
Registered Users
For the two ladies looking for a two-bedroom apt... Where on craigslist are you looking? There are Jersey Heights apts. all over the place there...and some cheaper then $1300.00.

In fact in my neighborhood alone, there are signs for 'for rent' apts. all over the place. The heights is like every major city inner borough area...check out your neighborhood or prospective streets before plunking down the cash...

The area where you inquired has been well documented on this site for the occasional robberies, assaults, etc. so I suggest checking out the downtown or heights areas.

By the way, just so everybody knows where I'm at with this...I do NOT love the heights...a little noisy for my tastes, and try to tell people to stay away from anything west of Central ave. (NY ave, Webster ave...for most of its' stretch...), but there IS a real neighborhood feel here, plenty of cheap eats (but do NOT go anywhere near the inexplicably overrated Mexican Glory of Mexico place on Congress! -- worst service ever, food only ok, no ac - ugh!)...but my rent is cheap (less than $1000.00 for a 2-bedroom apt. and ...I am near Bowers and JFK, so the block is not too bad.

My best advice to two single women sharing an apt around here is...keep in mind that...after midnight that it is tough travelling w/o a car...the path runs sluggish, slow, and usually off schedule, and you will have to take a cab from the Journal Square station...And, NJ Transit buses run at 11:30, 12, 12:35 and that's it...until the next morning...

Best to your search

Posted on: 2007/7/11 16:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/3 10:24
Group:
Registered Users

Best to your search

Posted on: 2007/7/11 16:47

Dodgy parts of town.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Where are the dodgy parts of Communipaw?

I ride my bicycle up Grand to Communipaw, and then along Communipaw all the way to 440, and it all seems fine to me. Is there another part of Communipaw that is the shady bit?

I have also been along the long road that goes from Communipaw out to Bayonne (Garfield is it?), and that again seems fine, though I gather that area is called Greenville which is reputed to be a bad area.

So where exactly are dodgy parts of town?

Robin.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 16:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/7/11 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
What about Pacific Ave at Lafayette St? Is that decent?

Posted on: 2007/7/11 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users

People will holler from the rooftops about the merits of other areas of JC but to me it's not worth the $100-$200 I'd save a month in rent.
Although I have a pretty sweet deal on my place. So I guess it's not a fair comparison.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
from what i remember during my apt. hunting last year in Hamilton Park, a price range of $1350 is out of the question.

My roommate and I looked at a "2" bedroom in a brownstone facing the park, which, in Jersey City usually means a master bedroom and a closet-sized 2nd bedroom too small to even fit a full-sized bed, and it was $1850/month, nothing included. we ended up looking in the VVP area, landed in a duplex apt. a block from the park, because it had 2 bathrooms and 2 true bedrooms, 950 sq. ft., for $1980.

for the most part, if you don't want to live in a seedy area or be far from the public transporation, you gotta pay the piper.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 15:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/7/11 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
We are not opposed to renting a one bedroom and have seen quite a few of them, as well. They were all pretty bad.

Posted on: 2007/7/11 15:01

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017