Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: FBI raids Arabic deli on Grove St.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Feds 'forget' to bring 'killer' clerk to court

Wednesday, November 21, 2007
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The lawyer for a Jersey City man detained on immigration charges expressed dismay that federal agents could forget to bring her client to his immigration court hearing last week.

"They said it was a mistake," said Amy Gell yesterday of her client, Akhtar Hussain Muawia, whom sources in the New York City Police Department suspect of assassinating a prominent Shia cleric in Pakistan 10 years ago.

Muawia, who has been locked up since he was picked up in May at his brother-in-law's Mashaallah Grocery on Grove Street, has not been charged in the cleric's death.

Gell said the leaked allegations are untrue and the government has corroborated that. She is now seeking asylum for Muawia, saying the accusations have made it dangerous for him to go home.

The New York Daily News, citing unnamed law enforcement sources in the NYPD, reported on Nov. 2 that the real reason he was picked up was because he was the alleged gunman who killed Shia leader Mahmood Shah in Pakistan in 1997.

Muawia's brother-in-law, Mumtaz Ahmed, was arrested in a money laundering investigation last October and Muawia was arrested on immigration violations, officials said. Muawia posted $10,000 bail and was freed.

The Daily News reported that New York police connected Muawia to the killing in May and alleged that the grocery store laundered money for the Sunni terrorist organization Sipah-e-Sahaba/Pakistan, which called Muawia "a favored assassin." The source said that is the real reason Muawia was picked up again on immigration charges. After the May arrest, his bail was raised to $50,000.

Gell said Pakistani courts have cleared Muawia in the killing and she added that federal officials have corroborated that. She said she had been looking forward to the Nov. 13 hearing, which is now rescheduled for Tuesday. She will argue for asylum for Muawia at the hearing.

"I'm hopeful he is going to walk out of that hearing," Gell said. "He's in a terrible situation because of all the allegations floating out there. They are unsubstantiated and they are not substantiated because they are untrue."

Posted on: 2007/11/21 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
CLERK A KILLER?
Lawyers: Feds know accused Hudson man was cleared

Saturday, November 03, 2007
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A law enforcement source, according to a report published yesterday, says a man arrested in Downtown Jersey City on immigrations charges in May is wanted in Pakistan for assassinating a Muslim cleric.

The man's lawyers say, though, he's been cleared of that charge - and that federal authorities know it.

Akhtar Hussain Muawia was arrested in his brother-in-law's Mashaallah Grocery, on Grove Street at Christopher Columbus Drive, on an immigration violation, according to both his lawyer, Amy Gell, and federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokesman Michael Gilhooly.

But the New York Daily News, citing unnamed law enforcement sources, reported yesterday that the real reason he was picked up was because he was the alleged gunman who killed Shia leader Mahmood Shah in Pakistan in 1997.

Muawia's brother-in-law, Mumtaz Ahmed, was arrested as part of a money laundering investigation in October 2006 and Muawia was picked up at the same time on an immigration violation, Gilhooly said. After that arrest, Muawia posted $10,000 bail and was freed.

Then in May, a New York police analyst connected him to the assassination and tracked him to Jersey City, according to sources cited by the Daily News.

Sources told the newspaper that the Grove Street grocery laundered money for the Sunni terrorist organization Sipah-e-Sahaba/Pakistan and called Muawia "a favored assassin" of the group, according to yesterday's article.

Gilhooly said that after Muawia's arrest in May, the New York Police Department passed along the information about the assassination. Muawia's situation was re-evaluated by a judge and Gell presented to the court papers from Pakistan saying Muawia was cleared of the murder and three unrelated men were convicted. A judge set his bail at $50,000, Gilhooly said, and he remains there on immigration violations.

The Department of Homeland Security immediately appealed the bail ruling but the Board of Immigration upheld it, saying "he was not a risk," according to Gell. The next hearing was scheduled for this past Tuesday, but the government attorney said she couldn't make it and it was rescheduled for Nov. 13, Gell said.

Yesterday afternoon, men leaving the Sunni Rizvi Jamia Mosque on Grove Street, where Muawia worshipped, said they doubted he would be involved in an assassination.

"He is a calm, gentle man," said Angel Cruz as he left Friday prayers. "He helped anybody in the neighborhood."

Gell accused the government of leaking the story about the assassination to strengthen its case.

"They don't have any evidence and they haven't charged him with anything," Gell said. "I think that they knew that they couldn't prove their case in court, in any way, shape or form, and they wanted to try it in the court of public opinion."

Gell said that at the next hearing she is going to argue that Muawia should be granted political asylum because he would not be safe if he went home to Pakistan after what has been reported about him here.

----------------------------------------------------------------

NYPD: We knew of militant group in '03

Saturday, November 03, 2007

An Islamic militant group caused a previously undisclosed scare in 2004 when a man in a truck took cell phone photos of the under-structures of the Brooklyn and Williamsburg bridges, a police official said yesterday.

The New York Police Department uncovered the suspected reconnaissance mission in Manhattan while investigators already were on alert that Pakistani immigrants loyal to the radical Sunni group, Sipah-e-Sahaba, were in the city "and possibly up to no good," said Paul Browne, the NYPD's top spokesman.

The spokesman detailed the bridge episode in response to a report yesterday in the Daily News that the NYPD was involved in the detention of an alleged member of the group who is purportedly wanted in Pakistan for an assassination of a Shiite leader.

The NYPD has credited one of its intelligence analysts with piecing together evidence that the suspect, Akhtar Hussain Muawia, had used an alias to slip into the United States after the 1997 assassination and was working as a clerk at a Jersey City grocery.

Investigators from the NYPD's Intelligence Division first became aware of a Sipah-e-Sahaba presence in the city in the summer of 2003, Browne said.

Posted on: 2007/11/3 9:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 12:23
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brian_em wrote:
This is why we need strict immagration laws.

The one arm man was always nice to me, but I felt like a traitor when I realized that their store was funding a terrorist group in pakistan. I think of all the money I have spent there and how it was going to fund radical islamist groups that kill innocent people.

I will never ever shop there again, and I'm surprised it is still open.

I'm also surprised that people on this site are not trying to blame this on George Bush.

No, that's ok, we'll blame it on you.

Posted on: 2007/11/3 6:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
This is why we need strict immagration laws.

The one arm man was always nice to me, but I felt like a traitor when I realized that their store was funding a terrorist group in pakistan. I think of all the money I have spent there and how it was going to fund radical islamist groups that kill innocent people.

I will never ever shop there again, and I'm surprised it is still open.

I'm also surprised that people on this site are not trying to blame this on George Bush.

Posted on: 2007/11/3 5:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Official: Militant Pakistani group causes terror concerns in New York

The Associated Press - The International Herald tribune
November 2

NEW YORK: A follower of an Islamic militant group caused a previously undisclosed scare in 2004 when someone in his truck took cell phone photos of the support structures of the Brooklyn and Williamsburg bridges, a police official said Friday.

The New York Police Department uncovered the suspected reconnaissance mission in Manhattan while investigators already were on alert that Pakistani immigrants loyal to the radical Sunni group, Sipah-e-Sahaba, were in the city "and possibly up to no good," said Paul Browne, the NYPD's top spokesman.

The spokesman detailed the bridge episode in response to a report on Friday in the Daily News that the NYPD was involved in the detention of a member of the group who is purportedly wanted in Pakistan for the assassination of a Shiite leader.

The NYPD has credited one of its intelligence analysts with piecing together evidence that the suspect, Akhtar Hussain Muawia, had used an alias to slip into the United States after the 1997 assassination and was working as a clerk at a Jersey City, New Jersey, grocery, across the Hudson River from New York.

Muawia, 33, was detained in May and is fighting deportation. His attorney has denied he was involved in the killing or any acts of terrorism.
Today in Americas

The NYPD's involvement in the Muawia case reflects its concerns that U.S. followers of lesser-known radical groups like Sipah-e-Sahaba could pose a threat to the city. The Pakistani government outlawed the group after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in an effort to purge the country of extremism, much of it anti-American.

Tthe group also has been designated a terrorist organization by the State Department.

Investigators from the NYPD's Intelligence Division first became aware of a Sipah-e-Sahaba presence in the city in the summer of 2003, Browne said. That fall, acting on an unfounded tip about a potential plot against the subways, police and the FBI that fall raided a Brooklyn apartment where they discovered membership applications and other documents related to the group.

In 2004, a truck traveling on the FDR caught the attention of an off-duty police officer by pausing to let someone inside "photograph the supporting structures underneath the Brooklyn and Williamsburg bridges," Browne said. It was later learned that the truck was registered to Tariq Javid, whose name was on a Sipah-e-Sahaba membership list found in the Brooklyn apartment.

Under questioning, Javid first denied knowing anything about the group, then admitted he had signed a membership form, according to court papers. However, he denied knowing anything about photographs of the bridges.

Last year, Javid pleaded guilty to making a false statement and was sentenced to one year probation.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/1 ... N-US-Pakistani-Threat.php

Posted on: 2007/11/2 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I must admit -- they were never overly friendly in that Bodega -- I guess I will stop shopping there -- I will miss the 75cent pastries filled with potato, peas and spices and the cheap bottles of 100% pomegranate juice.

BTW. Wikipedia has him living in Greenville near Bayonne.

"...Yousef, in his Pamrapo Avenue home in Jersey City, began assembling the 1,500-lb urea nitrate-fuel oil device for delivery to WTC on February 26, 1993..."

Quote:

ogden1 wrote:
Remember Ramzi Yousef??? Does WTC bombing #1 ring a bell? Well guess what genius. He lived on Brunswick Street.

Posted on: 2007/11/2 22:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/24 19:41
Group:
Registered Users
Remember Ramzi Yousef??? Does WTC bombing #1 ring a bell? Well guess what genius. He lived on Brunswick Street.

Posted on: 2007/11/2 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I remember Muawia from being in the Mashaallah Grocery on Grove Street.

From the New York Daily News article;

"It's believed the three-aisle bodega laundered money for the terrorist organization Sunni Sipah-e-Sahaba/Pakistan (SSP)."

From wikipedia;

"The SSP was linked to Ramzi Yousef, an accused in the New York World Trade Centre bombing of February 1993."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sipah-e-Sahaba

Posted on: 2007/11/2 21:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/4 3:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Resized Image

jeez, he doesn't have any eyes either

Posted on: 2007/11/2 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Akhtar Hussain Muawia worked in Jersey City bodega following his alleged assassination of Shia leader Mahmood Shah in Pakistan in 1997.

Resized Image

The store, run by Muawia's brother-in-law, is suspected of laundering money for terror group.

===================================
Jersey City worker triggerman in Pakistan assassination

By JONATHAN LEMIRE and ALISON GENDAR
New York DAILY NEWS
Friday, November 2nd 2007, 4:00 AM

A Jersey City grocery clerk had a secret life before he started stocking shelves: He was a Pakistani assassin wanted for a decade-old murder, law enforcement sources said.

Akhtar Hussain Muawia sneaked into the country under an assumed name less than a year after the murder of a top Shia leader, moved in with his sister and worked in his brother-in-law's Mashaallah Grocery, the sources said.

The NYPD unmasked Muawia several months ago when a 30-year-old civilian analyst discovered his true identity, sources said.

"If what you say is true, that was not a holy man," said an employee at the Sunni Rizvi Jamia mosque in Jersey City, where Muawia worshiped.

"They left and no one talked about them. No one said a word. I do not like thinking that was happening here," the worker said.

Muawia was arrested in May as the alleged gunman who killed Shia leader Mahmood Shah in Pakistan in 1997, sources said. He is in federal custody fighting deportation.

"It's 100% not true," said Muawia's lawyer Amy Nussbaum Gell. "They are using buzz words, like 'terrorist,' 'murder,' all because they think they can get away with railroading a Muslim kid," she said.

Gell said Muawia was cleared - in absentia - of the murder in a Pakistani trial in February. "They have nothing on this young man, other than he is Muslim," Gell said.

Immigration sources agreed with Muawia's lawyer.

"He was more of a lamb than a lion," said a federal immigration source familiar with Muawia's arrest.

But a law enforcement source countered that Muawia, 33, was never cleared in Pakistan, and did more than work the cash register at his brother-in-law's food store.

It's believed the three-aisle bodega laundered money for the terrorist organization Sunni Sipah-e-Sahaba/Pakistan (SSP).

Muawia was allegedly a favored assassin with the SSP, which has been blamed for the massacres of scores of Pakistani civilians as it pushed a pro-Sunni, anti-American agenda.

An SSP cell was first discovered in New York City in 2003, when investigators raided a Brooklyn apartment and found recruitment documents and membership forms, sources said.

Another SSP member was deported after being caught in 2004 photographing the Brooklyn and Williamsburg bridges.

Federal immigration officials arrested Muawia's brother-in-law, Mumtaz Ahmed, 47, last October, as part of a money-laundering investigation, sources said. Muawia was arrested at the same time and charged with being in the country illegally. Ahmed was eventually deported, but Muawia was let go.

Aside from his brush with immigration, Muawia remained under the radar until the NYPD analyst began piecing together his history in February last year.

By March this year, the Ivy League analyst felt he had pulled together enough information to prove the Jersey City grocery clerk was the wanted assassin.

A month later, the NYPD tracked Muawia to Jersey City, and put him under surveillance. The NYPD contacted the Newark Joint Terrorism Task Force and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which arrested him in early May.

agendar@nydailynews.com

New York Daily News

Posted on: 2007/11/2 20:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/12 16:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Reggay wrote:
The dudes that own that place used to be my landlords.

Hmm. Good thing I payed rent on time.

Posted on: 2007/11/2 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Jersey City clerk was arrested for a murder in Pakistan

The Star-Ledger Continuous News Desk
Friday November 02, 2007, 10:11 AM

A Jersey City grocery clerk was arrested in May in connection with his role as an alleged Pakistani assassin ...

Now there's a reality show concept for you. "Jersey City Grocery Store -- Our Clerks Have A Back Story."

Posted on: 2007/11/2 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City clerk was arrested for a murder in Pakistan

The Star-Ledger Continuous News Desk
Friday November 02, 2007, 10:11 AM

A Jersey City grocery clerk was arrested in May in connection with his role as an alleged Pakistani assassin wanted for a decade-old murder, law enforcement sources said, according to a report in the New York Daily News.

Akhtar Hussain Muawia entered the country under an assumed name less than a year after the murder of a top Shia leader, moved in with his sister and worked in his brother-in-law's Mashaallah Grocery, the sources told the newspaper.

The New York Police Department unmasked Muawia several months ago when a 30-year-old civilian analyst discovered his true identity, sources told the newspaper. He is in federal custody fighting deportation.

Posted on: 2007/11/2 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bobblehead wrote:
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

On topic - I think this might be just another smoke screen to keep the 'fight' alive on terrorists and this is being blown out of proportion

Did you see the bit about the "terrorists" being reported by a store video transfer clerk who was asked to transfer a terrorism training VHS tape to DVD?

I have to think that serious terrorists would have the technical skills (and equipment) to transfer videotape training videos to DVD. But maybe the problem is that terrorists' basic skills just aren't what they used to be . . .

The original World Trade Center bombers were caught because the guy wanted his $400 depost back on the rental truck.

I guess it's a good thing these guys weren 't smart from the beginning, otherwise there'd be more carnage. Would like to see more of these knuckleheads blowup/shoot themselves.

Posted on: 2007/5/10 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

On topic - I think this might be just another smoke screen to keep the 'fight' alive on terrorists and this is being blown out of proportion

Did you see the bit about the "terrorists" being reported by a store video transfer clerk who was asked to transfer a terrorism training VHS tape to DVD?

I have to think that serious terrorists would have the technical skills (and equipment) to transfer videotape training videos to DVD. But maybe the problem is that terrorists' basic skills just aren't what they used to be . . .

The original World Trade Center bombers were caught because the guy wanted his $400 depost back on the rental truck.

Posted on: 2007/5/10 14:18
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Posted on: 2007/5/10 6:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Yea, Grove Liquor was a different store and is now gone. If they had a connection to terrorism that's a bummer because I used to shop there when I first moved here. It was at the northwest corner of Grove and Montgomery and has been replaced by....drum roll....a real estate agency.

Quote:

Reggay wrote:
This is a different place. Yes, grove path, it is the place with the one-armed guy. He goes by the name "Ahmed". I think they own a gas station somewhere around here, too. They're Pakistani. You know, in some countries you lose an arm for...

Quote:

LifeOfRiley wrote:
That store front has quite history with (alleged) terrorist activity, dating back to the first bombing of the WTC. I recall seeing in years past, mainstream media shows like Dateline and/or 20/20 giving news coverage to that store and other parts of J.C.

For instance, a quick search pulled up this:
http://www.stopbretschundler.com/Terrorists.htm

---

Mohammed Rajaa Malik, 52, a local businessman and former Jersey City Zoning Board member, donated $1,000 to Schundler's primary campaign in the name of his store, One Stop Shop Market, also known as Grove Liquor and Deli, on Grove Street, election records show. ( across from City Hall )

Malik, also known as "Mike," and Diaa Mohsen, 57, were arrested June 12 by federal agents after they attempted to buy weapons, including Stinger missiles, from undercover officers, officials said. Mohsen faces possible charges of arms dealing and money laundering, while Malik faces a possible arms dealing charge. Prosecutors plan to ask that bail be denied for the two at today's hearing in federal court in Florida.

---

New York Post, 9/23/01 "Thirteen of the men detained by federal authorities investigating the Sept 11th attacks are from northern New Jersey, some from the Jersey City neighborhood that was home to suspects from the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. ... Terrorists experts and law enforcement officials said the New Jersey communities -- particularly Jersey City - are breeding grounds for terrorist activity because they are close to New York, offer affordable rents and have large immigrant populations where terrorists can blend in......

Some neighbors said the men ( Ayub Khan and Mohammed Azmath ) - like many of the other Arab-Americans in the city - prayed a block away at the Mas Jid Al-Salaam mosque on Kennedy Boulevard, where blind cleric Omar Abdel Rahman - the convicted mastermind of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing - once preached." (excerpt)

Posted on: 2007/5/10 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
As you watch booby girl sway / dance from left to right, there is a sequence and on her 20th sway to her right, her left booby falls out and you will be cross-eyed.

On topic - I think this might be just another smoke screen to keep the 'fight' alive on terrorists and this is being blown out of proportion - I look forward to the court case and associated reports. I'm more inclined to think that these guys are nothing more then a bunch of yahoo dumb-ass gun guys otherwise they would have been deported (some of them) 12 months ago (illegal aliens) - All a bit of horse-siht, if I do say so myself.

Posted on: 2007/5/9 20:24
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/30 17:08
Group:
Registered Users
i can't stop staring a fat-ass-bike's dancing booby girl. please dont ever change.

Posted on: 2007/5/9 18:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is a different place. Yes, grove path, it is the place with the one-armed guy. He goes by the name "Ahmed". I think they own a gas station somewhere around here, too. They're Pakistani. You know, in some countries you lose an arm for...

Quote:

LifeOfRiley wrote:
That store front has quite history with (alleged) terrorist activity, dating back to the first bombing of the WTC. I recall seeing in years past, mainstream media shows like Dateline and/or 20/20 giving news coverage to that store and other parts of J.C.

---

Mohammed Rajaa Malik, 52, a local businessman and former Jersey City Zoning Board member, donated $1,000 to Schundler's primary campaign in the name of his store, One Stop Shop Market, also known as Grove Liquor and Deli, on Grove Street, election records show. ( across from City Hall )

Malik, also known as "Mike," and Diaa Mohsen, 57, were arrested June 12 by federal agents after they attempted to buy weapons, including Stinger missiles, from undercover officers, officials said. Mohsen faces possible charges of arms dealing and money laundering, while Malik faces a possible arms dealing charge. Prosecutors plan to ask that bail be denied for the two at today's hearing in federal court in Florida.

---

New York Post, 9/23/01 "Thirteen of the men detained by federal authorities investigating the Sept 11th attacks are from northern New Jersey, some from the Jersey City neighborhood that was home to suspects from the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. ... Terrorists experts and law enforcement officials said the New Jersey communities -- particularly Jersey City - are breeding grounds for terrorist activity because they are close to New York, offer affordable rents and have large immigrant populations where terrorists can blend in......

Some neighbors said the men ( Ayub Khan and Mohammed Azmath ) - like many of the other Arab-Americans in the city - prayed a block away at the Mas Jid Al-Salaam mosque on Kennedy Boulevard, where blind cleric Omar Abdel Rahman - the convicted mastermind of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing - once preached." (excerpt)

Posted on: 2007/5/9 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone remember the Clam Castle in the Heights? That place serverd the best pasta in Jersey City for years. Owners were north african, Morrocan, maybe. But the they cooked really fantastic Italian fare. That place was shovelling money - packed all the time

One day after 9/11, they just closed, no message on the phone, or on the premises, nothing - coincidence?

Posted on: 2007/5/9 16:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 3:40
Group:
Banned

---

---

Posted on: 2007/5/9 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if they were jewish or catholics they (reporters and fbi dudes) would have highlighted that fact?

Good job keeping that fear of terrorists / muslims connection alive and well via the 'FBI raid' line - a better impact should have read 'storm troopers' raid on the deli!

Posted on: 2007/5/9 15:42
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If it is the deli I am thinking of -- I have been there many times and the guys are pretty nice -- one has one arm? Is that the place? We often get the 75cent pastries filled with potato, peas and spices -- they also have good cheap bottles of 100% pomegranate juice.

I wonder if it is just a case of them busting pirated videos.

Posted on: 2007/5/9 15:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/3 21:24
From Wayne Street
Group:
Registered Users
The article seem to have an ant-arab/middle eastern bias. The quotations from the local shop owners reinforce that bias.
I would like to see more facts especially in light of the current climate.

Posted on: 2007/5/9 15:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The dudes that own that place used to be my landlords.

Posted on: 2007/5/9 13:11

FBI raids Arabic deli on Grove St.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
FBI raids Arabic deli on Grove St.
Wednesday, May 09, 2007
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Numerous FBI agents raided a deli on Grove Street in Jersey City yesterday morning, apparently looking for a man who is a suspect in a crime outside the United States, a police source said.

Shop owners in nearby businesses said up to 10 agents wearing jackets with the letters "FBI" on them arrived at the Mashaallah Grocery near Wayne Street around 9 a.m. yesterday morning.

"I'm not surprised, this is not the first time," said the owner of an adjacent shop who would not give his name. "They were here two or three months ago. That's when they took the brother-in-law. He was deported."

Jersey City officials were notified by the FBI that they would be at the store looking for the suspect, and they apparently took him away. Some area shop owners said a man was taken from the grocery store in handcuffs yesterday morning, but the FBI did not return numerous calls seeking confirmation.

Later, the store's roll-down gate was closed but stacked merchandise was visible in the storefront windows, including CDs with Arabic titles, signs for money transfer services, faxing, copying and more.

Sue Lee, the owner of Lee's Continental Fruit and Vegetable on Grove Street near Christopher Columbus Drive, said one of the FBI agents bought something to drink in her store.

"I said, 'What happened, same as last time?'" Lee said, referring to the previous visit by federal authorities to the Mashaallah Grocery. "He said 'Yes,' but who knows?"

Michael Drewniak, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Newark, said the FBI activity Downtown was not related to the alleged plot to kill soldiers at Fort Dix.

Posted on: 2007/5/9 12:39

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017