Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Erie Street Montessori
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We have had a very good experience with the Montessori on Erie St (btwn Bay and 1st). My son not only enjoyed it, but received a sound educational and musical foundation during his two years. Our daughter, now just finishing up a year and a half, loves it more.

Obviously, parents have different wants and expectations from any school, we know many families that love the school and a few that did not (like anywhere).

Alone among area preschools - this school offers a half day and full day program along with 4 or 5 days a week.

I am more than happy to discuss our experience with the school and will send you a PM with contact info or just check my profile.

Posted on: 2007/4/17 23:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/10 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:

- A lot of parents of "active," "strong-willed" kids have talked about their kids getting kicked out of the Erie school.

The bottom line is this: the Erie school is probably a good option for fairly low-key kids.

Speaking from unfortunate experience, I can echo the above.

Children who are compliant and quiet fit right in. Otherwise, you may have a problem.

Also, check the adult/child ratio. When we were there it was 1/15 with an age range of 3-7 which made for chaos. When the adult spent time with the younger kids, the older kids were bored. When the adult focused on the older kids, the younger kids went wild. Among other things, we made an issue of that and were "asked" to leave.

Not recommended.

Posted on: 2007/4/17 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Strengths:

- It's smaller and cheaper than the other Jersey City Montessori schools.

- You're a lot more likely to get a slot there.

- For some parents, the location is very convenient.

- To me, it looks as if the building is a really nice, relaxed kind of building.

- You have an excuse to eat a lot of Torico's ice cream.

Drawbacks:

- The school is really small and depends heavily on the director. I think there might be more unexpected days off there than at a bigger school. (Although the bigger schools also seem to close at the first sign of rain.)

- My understanding is that the Erie school is less tolerant of potty training accidents than the other Montessori schools or Garden Cooperative. So, if your daughter still has accidents, make sure to ask whether she would have to go home to change or if she could be helped at school.

- A lot of parents of "active," "strong-willed" kids have talked about their kids getting kicked out of the Erie school.

I think one issue is that Montessori schools that aren't ultra, ultra experienced often have a tough time with discipline. They make a ton of very detailed demands on small children ("push in your chair," "put your work back on the shelf," "use the blocks in the Montessori way, not to represent Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtles"), but they give kids so much fake autonomy that kids could easily end up making choices (e.g., to run around the classroom) that the teacher hates.

If at all possible, it would be good to have your child spend a day or two in the classroom while some adult that you trust other than you watches your daughter to see how well she can work within the Montessori system.

The bottom line is this: the Erie school is probably a good option for fairly low-key kids, or children with stay-at-home parents or grandparents who can fill in if the kids get kicked out of preschool.

Posted on: 2007/4/17 20:34

Erie Street Montessori

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/4/19 19:00
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,
I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with the Erie Street Montessori. My husband and I visited the school and liked the program, but we wanted to know more about it before sending our daughter there. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Grace

Posted on: 2007/4/17 16:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017