Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Hamilton Park Ale House jersey Ave.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, actually saw the new menu. A LOT more expansive with more good bar choices. I'll actually be going back there more often now. Good for them.

Posted on: 2008/5/13 20:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/4 14:20
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/5/13 19:01
Myth: Pancakes are for breakfast.

Fact: There are no rules when it comes to pancakes.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I went by the Ale House yesterday. They now have a new menu and it definitely is a nice change of pace. They have gone toward more bar friendly food as well as some larger dinner portions. I tried the chicken wrap and it was good as was the caeser salad. Hopefully this will be a change for the better.

Posted on: 2008/5/5 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
They're a reason that Harvest Cart is no longer around? That's beat.

Anyway, I've rarely ever gone to the Ale House because I don't find the prices to be up my alley. The dinner menu is "fancy", but as someone else here mentioned, nothing really tickles my fancy on it.

I ordered some chili the other day and I was surprised by how good it was. I was expecting a run-of-the-mill taste but it had something extra.

I don't see what the big deal is about having a bunch of TVs in there. Watching sports is something to do while you're having some drinks, and at worst you just ignore the TVs. I wouldn't have gone there a couple times if there were no TVs to watch the game I wanted - maybe that speaks to alienating certain regulars and bringing in new regulars.

The thing for me though is the menu doesn't speak to me, and the drink prices are high (normal for this area, I guess - but still).

Posted on: 2008/4/17 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The menu was exactly the same as when Maggie owned it. The new owner seemed to not know if he wanted a Bar or a Restaurant or a Sports Bar or both. The space is too small for both. Personally I think they do bar food better than all that other stuff. Too much fish etc. I was also troubled by the new owners involvement in getting the Harvest Cart tossed from the neighborhood and the many drunk cops that hung out made it like a "sausage factory". Contrary to what many say the food had degraded long before Maggie sold and seemed to get better with the new guy although the atmosphere sucked at times. I think a family friendly sports bar would be great. Chicken Fingers, Mozz Sticks, Burgers etc. BTW I thought the wait staff was always great and attentive.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Last time I was there (summer 2007), the chicken fingers and sweet mustard dip were still the exact same one as when Maggie owned it. Either they're the same cooks or the recipe was passed.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i used to stop in the ale house as a teenager for takeout food when i was having band practice on coles... man those chicken fingers with the really white honey mustard were great... the last time i stopped in was about two years ago and i had those wonderful chicken fingers again, but i'm curious...do they still have the same menu or items from the menu or is it all changed over since the new owner? some of the dinner specials were pretty good back then, and the vibe was always cozy and family friendly as we had a decent after party for my friends senior recital at njcu in 2006.i haven't had a chance to check it out since.

Posted on: 2008/4/17 5:48

Re: Hamilton Park Ale House
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jclxz wrote:

I 100% agree with you, Alex. In fact, you are right, and don't need my agreement to be right.

I hate children, and I usually hate children being in bars and restaurants. I'm not even happy that children are in Hamilton Park.

I was going to the Ale House for 6+ years under Maggie's ownership, and I never had a problem with the fact that people were bringing kids there.

In fact I thought it was CUTE, NICE, and a REALLY GREAT thing about the neighborhood.

And this is from someone who DOES NOT like children.

If once or twice I was irritated by a child screaming, I was more often irritated by a drunk cop screaming.

This was a neighborhood family place under Maggie, whatever your family is. I have always felt comfortable to bring my family there, be it my girlfriend of the moment or by myself.

And I have always been happy that my friends with children could feel comfortable there as well.

I can't stress enough that I do not like children, don't have any, and don't want any for the forseeable future. I like the atmosphere that makes an establishment friendly to the people in the neighborhood, and the families in the neighborhood. And if that family includes children, then I wish them the same comfort I feel.

So do you like children or not?

Posted on: 2008/4/17 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sullyx wrote:

I couldn't disagree with you more Alex, I guess your kids must be much better behaved than everyone elses.

It's a BAR. How badly behaved could a kid be to create a problem?

At least they're not drinking.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Wrong. This used to be a neighborhood family place - been for the 20+ year which just happens to have a bar, and most of the kids that go are well behaved.

This is a neighborhood of families mostly with young children. If you want that kind of bar, there's lots in Hoboken.

Quote:

The last thing people without children want is to come to a bar/restaurant and be surrounded by kids (especially when crying loudly)...kids do not belong at AleHouse, WhiteStar,Simple,etc....go to Chile's if you have children and for goodness sake sit downstairs away from the bar area.

I 100% agree with you, Alex. In fact, you are right, and don't need my agreement to be right.

I hate children, and I usually hate children being in bars and restaurants. I'm not even happy that children are in Hamilton Park.

I was going to the Ale House for 6+ years under Maggie's ownership, and I never had a problem with the fact that people were bringing kids there.

In fact I thought it was CUTE, NICE, and a REALLY GREAT thing about the neighborhood.

And this is from someone who DOES NOT like children.

If once or twice I was irritated by a child screaming, I was more often irritated by a drunk cop screaming.

This was a neighborhood family place under Maggie, whatever your family is. I have always felt comfortable to bring my family there, be it my girlfriend of the moment or by myself.

And I have always been happy that my friends with children could feel comfortable there as well.

I can't stress enough that I do not like children, don't have any, and don't want any for the forseeable future. I like the atmosphere that makes an establishment friendly to the people in the neighborhood, and the families in the neighborhood. And if that family includes children, then I wish them the same comfort I feel.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Wrong. This used to be a neighborhood family place - been for the 20+ year which just happens to have a bar, and most of the kids that go are well behaved.

This is a neighborhood of families mostly with young children. If you want that kind of bar, there's lots in Hoboken.

Quote:

The last thing people without children want is to come to a bar/restaurant and be surrounded by kids (especially when crying loudly)...kids do not belong at AleHouse, WhiteStar,Simple,etc....go to Chile's if you have children and for goodness sake sit downstairs away from the bar area.

I couldn't disagree with you more Alex, I guess your kids must be much better behaved than everyone elses.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 21:05
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Posted on: 2008/4/16 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
He's asking 695K, doesn't mean he's gonna get it. A buyer would have to look at all the financials, expenses, income taxes, cost of goods and assets, etc.
Did he improve the income of the business?
Does the business income justify the asking price?

Posted on: 2008/4/16 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bunny22 wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how just plain old MEAN people can be on these sites. Anonymously safe at home behind their computer, the venom and opinions just spew forth. And I'm sure someone will point out that I sound just as negative by my negative observation. Ironic. Whatever. I go to the Hamilton Park place a lot with my boyfriend. We're comfortable there. He likes the burgers and they have a very good sirloin steak salad... best version I've had of it anywhere. They're generous with the steak, there's smoked mozzarella, sundried tomatoes... Also the ginger carrot soup special is yummy. This place doesn't suck. Maybe it won't win any culinary awards for originality and maybe their music could us some fine tuning (although I like Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young who get played a lot there) but it's just a basic, friendly neighborhood bar with perfectly fine wings, chicken tenders etc... I don't understand the animosity from people on this site. I'm not saying it's the best place on earth but it kind of makes me laugh, all these people swearing off it..."I'm never going there again." Ridiculous. It's just a basic decent neighborhood bar trying to survive. It's not Hillary Clinton or some political candidate to get so heated up over. My boyfriend would love to open a restaurant someday. It's his dream...But if this is the crowd he needs to please, well, god help him. It certainly dampens my enthusiasm. (And no, I'm not a shill).

Couple thoughts here-

First, if you open a restaurant, be prepared to be crushed from time to time. Can't please everyone (nor should you).

Second- Many folks never got over Maggie. I love Maggie. Everyone did, as far as I know. The problem with Ale House under the "new guy" wasn't the Ale House. It was the Ale House under the "new guy". He never really had a chance to establish himself as his own "thing" like a brand new restaurant would. He was always going to be compared to the OLD Ale House. And in many eyes the "new" Ale House came off wanting.

I think it's shitty that people want to run the guy down. I can say this: He seemed to have misread the neighborhood. Nothing worse than that. He felt that Downtown needed a good place to watch The Game and have a few beers. Perhaps it does. But when he changed the format, he chased off alot of regulars (which isn't a sin) and didn't seem to attract new ones (which is).

It didn't work out. The neighborhood voted with their wallets, and it just didn't work out. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't quite understand the nastiness directed at him. He was nothing but friendly to me when I went there...it just wasn't my scene. What his driving a Mercedes has to do with anything is beyond me, unless this is some sort of cartoon where the evil robber baron comes in and steals the Down Home Wateringhole from the defenseless villagers, and the villagers, through their stick-to-it-iveness and gumption of walking an extra 2 blocks to go to Simple and through some VERY POINTED CRITIQUES on the interweb finally defeat the robber baron, who leaves, never to be seen again.

Or, you know, it could be that the restaurant didn't make it, as most don't, despite his effort, and that's the end of it.

GWB

Posted on: 2008/4/16 16:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
It never ceases to amaze me how just plain old MEAN people can be on these sites. Anonymously safe at home behind their computer, the venom and opinions just spew forth. And I'm sure someone will point out that I sound just as negative by my negative observation. Ironic. Whatever. I go to the Hamilton Park place a lot with my boyfriend. We're comfortable there. He likes the burgers and they have a very good sirloin steak salad... best version I've had of it anywhere. They're generous with the steak, there's smoked mozzarella, sundried tomatoes... Also the ginger carrot soup special is yummy. This place doesn't suck. Maybe it won't win any culinary awards for originality and maybe their music could us some fine tuning (although I like Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young who get played a lot there) but it's just a basic, friendly neighborhood bar with perfectly fine wings, chicken tenders etc... I don't understand the animosity from people on this site. I'm not saying it's the best place on earth but it kind of makes me laugh, all these people swearing off it..."I'm never going there again." Ridiculous. It's just a basic decent neighborhood bar trying to survive. It's not Hillary Clinton or some political candidate to get so heated up over. My boyfriend would love to open a restaurant someday. It's his dream...But if this is the crowd he needs to please, well, god help him. It certainly dampens my enthusiasm. (And no, I'm not a shill).

Posted on: 2008/4/16 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

umestazzuele wrote:
here's to hoping a new owner can turn this place around. i live across the street and would love it if this place didn't suck.

Amen.

Posted on: 2008/4/15 19:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
Good riddance.

Posted on: 2008/4/15 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Hooray!

Posted on: 2008/4/15 12:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

umestazzuele wrote:
here's to hoping a new owner can turn this place around. i live across the street and would love it if this place didn't suck.

It was good under Maggie. It had its off days, but at least 5 days out of 7 it was very good. Sometimes the specials were -excellent-.

Under the new guy, the decor took its immediate turn, the food stayed the same or got better for some time. Soon the food got worse, way worse. Some time after the 10th flat panel TV was installed.

I am actually pleased that the food got worse, upon the unsubstantiated but likely-sounding rumors of completely unacceptable actions towards competition in the neighborhood. No decision or judgement was necessary. I need not return due to the poor food quality.

Honestly the last 3 times I have been there (since June, for a place that was once weekly visited), it has been awful. Inedibly, basically, although I guess I could eat a few bites.

Posted on: 2008/4/15 2:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/4/14 21:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/11 2:48
Group:
Registered Users
Not a surprise - the sale of the ale house .... i'd say the 3 new TVs - making a grand total of 7 - are some of that asking price.

i live close to the bar and have watched it take a turn for the worse (ne owner, tvs, dirty tables and service)... i miss the old but welcome new if it keeps to at least concentrating more on the food and less on the TVs and new Mercedes the owner drives.

at least it is warmer out and i can sit outside soon enough

Posted on: 2008/4/14 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I've eaten at the Ale House twice. Once was at lunch, and we ate outside. I thought my sandwich was great and enjoyed sitting outside, even though 10th is kind of boring. The second time, we ate inside. The food was pretty good, but the atmosphere is horrible. Those TVs make me feel like I'm eating in Times Square. Even the banner outside advertising beer is a turn-off. It's kind of a last resort place when I'm tired of Simple.

I ate in White Star once. The atmosphere is much more neighborhood-y. I shared a pizza and a turkey burger. Turkey burger was okay. Pizza...I've had better. Simple's pizza is better. And my dessert, which was something like brownie a la mode, was bad. I don't know why they couldn't make/buy brownies that taste at least as good as the Duncan Hines that I can whip together myself, but these barely had any taste. Luckily I wasn't paying for my own dessert, but I felt bad that I left 90 percent of it untouched.

I do like Simple. Some of their food tastes like they heat it up from frozen (like Costco or something), but then, that doesn't mean it tastes bad. It's a bar, not a gourmet restaurant. It's my choice for the neighborhood, esp. since the people in Basic are...a little rude sometimes.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
We found the owner to be really nice when we went in the summer time. Friendly, helpful. The food was good too. But I have to admit I'll read the menu and I'll crave nothing on it. It happens every time we go. We kept getting the same server outside too, she was a little slow on the mark, not that she was unfriendly so much as I think english was her second language so the translation wasn't great?

I always brought bug spray, it seems in the summer there are biting bugs their and it's always a treat to watch the ladies at "Curves" working out, what a bonus, lol.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 6:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Quote:

umestazzuele wrote:
this place is just okay. not great, not horrible. the couple of times i've been there the service has been okay and the food average. i live across the street and i'd rather walk the two blocks to the white star if i want a beer or food or if want to watch a game. plus they have way hotter female bartenders.

yeah I agree, used to go 1-2x a week for beers and sometimes dinner, nothing much changed (although once the Guiness was a bit skanky, that was the last time I've been), but now, it's not even kid friendly, which was the reason I went.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 22:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/8 18:57
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
for whatever it's worth, i like the ale house for the simple reason that it's easy. I know I can go there, get a decent meal, not have to worry about what I look like and know that my bill is going to be affordable.

Sure, it could use some improvements like an updated menu (maybe with more veggie options or more of a bar feel), but overall, its not a bad place. For sports games, the TVs come in handy... you never have to worry about a seat where you can't see the TV. Physically, it's a great sized bar with a large space, which I think is underestimated (by both patrons and the owner).

Like I said, i like it because it's easy and I've never had a bad experience there. If people are looking for somethng more upscale, there are many other options to choose from.

PS. And don't mock Jersey! for one, we do actually live in Jersey.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
I've given them a chance on a number of occasions recently between super bowl, brunch, dinner and happy hour and the food is pretty good and Jim the owner seems like a nice guy but I don't like it when the check the bar gives me breaks out the food protion but bulks the entire drink tab together, I never know how many or how much they're actually charging. at both the white star and lucky 7's the tab even tells you how many buy backs they hooked you up with.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 21:08
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
So sad what happened to the Ale House. Maggie used to pay such attention to details. Now it's dirty, and the dead planters hanging outside are just depressing. I feel like I have ADD when I try to talk to someone at the bar because of all of the tvs flickering in my face.

It's a shame because it's a lovely bar in a great location - nearby my house. That owner is a dork. I hope he just sells it one day.

You can literally see the the glaring tvs from the turnpike extension. So much for a nice quiet neighborhood local.

And forget Bon Jovi. The last time I was there they played three Huey Lewis songs within two hours. I was ready to stick forks in my ears and damage my eardrums.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

umestazzuele wrote:
this place is just okay. not great, not horrible. the couple of times i've been there the service has been okay and the food average. i live across the street and i'd rather walk the two blocks to the white star if i want a beer or food or if want to watch a game. plus they have way hotter female bartenders.

yeah I agree, used to go 1-2x a week for beers and sometimes dinner, nothing much changed (although once the Guiness was a bit skanky, that was the last time I've been), but now, it's not even kid friendly, which was the reason I went.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 19:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/3/13 17:12

Hamilton Park Ale House
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/29 4:33
Group:
Registered Users
Just wanted to post that a friend and I decided to go to Hamilton Park Ale House
to see what it was like now.

I loved the place when Maggie was owner,
and I know it has changed, but the fact
is, we DID have a delicious meal, and the waitress was great. Prompt and
helpful.

Also the owner was friendly and came around to see how we liked the food. I could do without the big tvs, and I have heard some people have not had great response to the food, but for what
it's worth, I thought I should post that we did have a very good experience there.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 16:02

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017