Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

Re: VERIZON FIOS

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/26 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
You don't have to get the triple-play from Comcast to get a good deal. They offer good introductory offers for both internet and tv - and there is no contract, so you can switch to FIOS easily once that becomes available.

Check out broadbandoffers.com and comcastoffers.com for even better deals. I have used these before and reliably received all my rebates.

Posted on: 2008/9/21 4:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/7 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
No luck yet. It's live up in the heights but we're still waiting downtown. The fibre has been laid, it's just taking them awhile to light it up. Get one of those 3 month deals from Comcast while we wait for Verizon to get it together.

Posted on: 2008/9/20 21:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/20 19:22
Group:
Registered Users
we just moved into 135 Montgomery from the city and am so confused with Comcast offerings and long story short they really stick you with their plans unless you do triple play. i don't need phone although once you add up all the line items to do double play or alacarte, they back you into triple play. also they throw in cheaper install and free hd dvr when it is triple play vs the double or ala carte....

basically anyone know how to get Verizon FIOS into the bldg? we've had fios in our house in rockland for more than a year and it is great...

Posted on: 2008/9/20 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
From Newsday:
FiOS "may form an electrically conductive path" and could create an electrical hazard.

------------------------------------------------

Violations cited in LI FiOS installations

BY EMI ENDO

11:10 AM EDT, August 29, 2008

The state Public Service Commission has found that more than half of Verizon FiOS installations inspected on Long Island violated national electric standards, raising potential safety concerns and prompting Verizon to offer customer credits.

Of 92 installations in Nassau, 64 had violations related to grounding, according to an April audit by commission staff. No Suffolk locations were audited then.

In an October 2007 audit there were 62 code violations out of 113 installations inspected in Nassau. Of 19 installations in Suffolk, 12 had similar code violations.

Fiber-optic cables, which Verizon says carry more information and provide a better signal than copper-wire phone lines, are made of glass and do not conduct electricity. The service uses a home's power source to convert laser-generated light pulses to electrical communications signals.

But PSC staff said FiOS "may form an electrically conductive path" and could create an electrical hazard. PSC spokesman James Dean called the public safety risk "minimal - however, there is a potential risk."

Under a plan submitted to the PSC last month, Verizon would review all of its fiber-optic installations to ensure connections are properly grounded and correct violations.

The company also said it would issue credits of up to $20 to customers for installations after Aug. 18 unless it meets standards at least 95 percent of the time. The credits would "compensate such customers for the inconvenience of the inspection (and, where applicable, remediation) process," according to documents filed with the PSC.

Verizon could end up issuing "millions of dollars" worth of credits, the company said.

"Since FiOS is a new technology, questions about proper procedures naturally arise," company spokesman John Bonomo said. "We are confident our equipment installation processes are safe and secure."

In 2006, competitors to Verizon FiOS - primarily Cablevision Systems Corp., which recently bought Newsday - and area municipal governments complained to the PSC about how Verizon was rolling out its FiOS infrastructure, state officials said.

The PSC is considering whether to approve Verizon's plan and is accepting public comments until Sept. 22.

Link

Posted on: 2008/9/1 3:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/22 0:52
Group:
Registered Users
And this link has some pics of the loops and boxes for FiOS that can be observed on telephone poles on streets where FiOS is available: http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm

Posted on: 2008/8/9 0:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/22 0:52
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in Greenville too. I'd love it if FiOS were available soon.

I've been talking quite a bit with Verizon's NJ FiOS department lately since I'm assisting my employer in finding a suitable small-office location that has FiOS availability. The reps have assured me that the Jersey City central office is wired for FiOS, though that obviously doesn't mean the cables have been laid through the streets.

I haven't asked much specifically about the situation in JC since we're not locating our office here...

But generally, Verizon has told me that when a city/town is listed as FiOS capable, it's far more likely that the service will be available first in residential areas, or more specifically, areas where power/tv/phone come via telephone-poles. They said it's a lot easier for them to get the necessary right-of-ways to lay cable on poles vs digging up the street.

Posted on: 2008/8/9 0:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/8 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
I just had a Verizon tech guy come by to fix a DSL problem and we chatted about cable, satellite, et al. I mentioned I was planning on switching providers once my contract is up and he said emphatically to wait for FIOS. I'm in Greenville and haven't heard of any fiber work being done around here so I'm a bit skeptical. But he really sold me on FIOS. I figure I'll wait it out.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 20:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/8 16:39
Group:
Registered Users
FWIW - we live in the VVP area and had a call from a Verizon rep on Friday checking our address and building details. When queried what the information was needed for, the rep said for FIOS - supposedly FIOS is being rolled out downtown and should be available within 6 month.

Posted on: 2008/7/14 20:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/14 0:51
Group:
Registered Users
Now that is an answer...well done.

Posted on: 2008/7/5 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Here's a little info on Hoboken getting Fios.

http://hoboken411.com/archives/7607

Posted on: 2008/6/30 0:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There's a large spool with inch-thick cable on Jersey & 7th.

FIOS?

Posted on: 2008/5/22 19:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/27 16:58
Group:
Banned
FWIW I was talking to Verizon about this the other day. I was thinking about DSL, but didn't want a contract because I was going to switch to FIOS when it comes out. He said, "I wouldn't worry about the one-year contract. At this rate, it doesn't look like we'll have it up and running in the next year."

Posted on: 2008/5/22 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Garyg wrote:
Any news on Fios downtown?

Verizon is wiring my building for Fios and they're paying 44K to our condo for the privilege of doing it.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 18:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 5:04
Group:
Registered Users
The FiOS install can take several hours or an entire day. They run the fiber optic cable from the street to your buidling and install a box on the outside or preferably the inside of the building. This box is about 12 inches square. There is a lead acid battery back up system which is also installed to give your phone power in case of an outtage. The battery is your responsibility to replace when it wears out in a few years. The battery back-up box needs to be plugged in to recharge the battery if it gets drained and I was also told that it contains the power supply for the main larger box. The smaller box is about 7 inches square. The larger box has the coaxial cables coming out of it to distribute the lines into the building and work just like cable ones. If you hook up the TV to it you can get the standard TV channels without a set top box. These lines also connect to the router for the internet service. If you are getting the FiOS phone service too, they may cut your copper landline, or at the least disconnect it from the central office.

ComcASSt had the worst customer service I have ever experienced and Verizon is slightly better. In the suburb I live in now, most people are switching to Verizon FiOS because it is the first alternative to the ComcASSt monopoly.

Posted on: 2007/11/21 3:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/27 4:28
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Signed up.
20mb down/5mb up internet
200 channels
movie pack
HD DVR
$114 a month 1 year contract

and they tossed in a "free" $20 target gift card lol

Just the 20 HD channels that aren't over compressed and to be rid Comcast is well worth it.

Jersey City Fios Channel Lineup

Posted on: 2007/11/21 3:08

Re: FIOS in hoboken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I spoke to Verizon FIOS team person yesterday, and was told to expect FIOS in Hamilton Park as early as Dec of 2007. I complained about my slow DSL - only getting 1.5 Mbps download instead of the 3.0 due to the distance to the Central
Office (too far away) - and was told that they would be upgrading it in a month or two to 3.0. I think this is BS. Most of the Verizon staff are disingenuous. They'll say anything to stop you from moving to a cable broadband connection. I doubt we'll get FIOS in the first half of 2008.

Posted on: 2007/8/1 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
My understanding is that it is much easier to get the fiber into suburban one-family homes than into urban multiple-dwelling units.

Verizon hangs the new fiber on existing telecom poles (I don't think they bury it), and then puts splices directly into one-family houses.

In condo buildings in the city it would be very expensive to get the fiber into every apartment (although Verizon says otherwise - see below).

I am not holding my breath for FiOS in JC anytime soon.

MDU Fiber and How it Works:
Beating a Path to the Living Unit

Verizon's Enhanced Communities group has various technologies for getting Verizon's FiOS services the last few hundred feet into multiple dwelling unit properties

The All-Fiber Solution:

For new construction, bringing Verizon's fiber-optic service right to each unit, as it is done in single-family home construction, is the best option. That assures that the building's network can accommodate future demands for even more bandwidth. Fiber optics has a virtually unlimited transmission capacity, and it can be increased by modifying the electronics on each end of the fiber. MDUs can be retrofitted with fiber as well, and Verizon offers owners a high-class crown molding option for hiding the system along hallway ceilings and minimizing the fishing of wires.

When fiber is deployed to individual MDU living spaces, Verizon generally installs, in an unobtrusive spot inside the unit, the same optical network terminals (ONTs) that are used in single-family homes. The ONT includes the fiber terminal, distribution junctions, power supply and router equipment. A new, smaller ONT is now ready for deployment. ONTs can be installed on a wall or recessed into it, usually in closet space inside the unit.

The Multi-customer Model Using Non-fiber Paths

When fiber has not been run all the way to the unit, a multi-customer ONT can be configured either to feed non-fiber wiring already in the building or to support non-fiber facilities the owner chooses to retrofit.

Existing wiring can be used in various configurations. If CAT-5 facilities are in place, Verizon has a multi-customer distribution technology that can use that wiring and other existing coaxial cable for FiOS delivery. Ethernet service carries voice and data, and coax carries video signals.

Even CAT-3, or twisted copper pair, facilities can be used in combination with existing coax cabling. An alternate multi-customer ONT splits the signal to offer voice and data over a very high bit-rate DSL loop and sends TV over coax to the living unit.

Posted on: 2007/2/21 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
What you were really asking is there anyone from JCList who also happens to have an internet connection outside of Jersey City that is connecting to Verizon Fiber.

I don't have fiber. But the technical differences are significant. if Cable connections are like a Garden Hose, then Fiber is like a Fire hose. Most users won't notice much difference in performance most of the time. The big advantage of Fiber is in downloading media files (or any file for that matter). For instance, say you want to buy a feature length movie from iTunes. Cable will take probably a half hour or so, maybe longer if there is a lot of interference on the network. Fiber could download it faster, about 1/4 of the time. That is of course, if the site you are downloading from isn't busy sending files to other people. If iTunes has alot of users downloading a file, the outgoing bandwidth is limited, and so will slow you down regardless of network speed. Of course, Fiber will make simultaneous downloads faster-- say you are downloading a movie from iTunes, another one from Amazon, and a third for your zune, and new software from CNET. All those connections would be seriously limited by cable, but with fiber the limitation would probably again be from the source.

Now as far as average websurfing, like reading JCList, there will be very little performance increase. The best way to make things like JCList or your favorite websites like NewYorksSixth (shameless plug :) load faster is by having a clean, modern computer. Most of the data from a website is small in comparison to the "tubes" it travels on between the server and the computer. In that case you are limited by your computer's ability to process the data coming into it. Computers with more RAM and higher speed video display cards generally will perform better. Your computer can also be slowed down by spyware, which is why most people say you should reinstall and reformat your computer once a year. Also, programs, particularly browser programs like firefox or explorer often have "memory leaks" that use up memory on the system as they run, and then dont give it back to the system when they are closed. In essence, you have say 10 units of memory. When you open firefox it uses maybe 2 units of memory, and the system then has 8. You then open Outlook to check your email and use another 4 units of memory. So now your computer is using 6 units of memory. You close out these programs but the "memory
leak" doesn't give the memory back to the computer. So you log back in to check JCList, and you use 2 units of memory again: but instead of having all 10 units available, you only have 4. So the computer gets slowed down. This is easily fixed by restarting, which is why restarting a computer is always the first thing tech support tells you to do (this is true of Macs to for you windows haters).

Anyway thats that. Also, one more thing. DSL is about equivilant in performance to cable when you download information. Its a little slower, but again probably not noticiable to many users unless you download lots of large media files. But DSL is very slow for uploading data-- like sending emails, posting to JCList, and sending files to YouTube. Not that you asked, but I figured I'd throw that out just in case you were thinking about it.

Posted on: 2007/2/21 20:47

VERIZON FIOS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Anyone on this post currently signed onto and using Fios, if so, can you please provide the pros and cons to this new service ?

Thanks in Advance.

CK

Posted on: 2007/2/21 19:38

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact