Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Re: any good deals on Verizon FIOS out there?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
I'm currently in phone hold hell with FIOS. Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 18:09

any good deals on Verizon FIOS out there?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/11 20:22
Group:
Registered Users
Thinking about switching. Their website seems complicated, takes too long to figure out things.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 17:14

Re: VERIZON FIOS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info.. I checked and I have one of the older routers. No matter.. I need to upgrade it at some point. I am trying to find if there is a repeater that can be mounted outside. i need a stronger WIFI signal on the exterior of my place.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BimmerRules wrote:
Thanks MDM.

How about the hardwiring of your Blueray player?

I have a cheap Toshiba one and want to give it a shot even though I am not a geek. :)

Can you guide me please?

Thanks and good luck on your wireless efforts!

Another option instead of pulling new cable could be to use your existing cable TV (coaxial) cable if you have it near your Blu-Ray player. If you already have the Verizon router, you can get this from Amazon, and then use an Ethernet cable to hook up to your Blu-Ray. If you don't have FIOS, you can get a similar setup with a pair of the adapters. These work pretty well and are generally cheaper than running new cable in your walls.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Again... Verizon IMO, throttles back their wireless in order to lower the loads on their internet network. So you get a download speed of 15 MB.. but the wireless makes sure you will never get near that limit.

This isn't exactly true. The router doesn't throttle speed. However, until a few months ago the standard-issue Verizon router used an older generation of wireless (802.11g) that in real world usage will be unable of using the full bandwidth of the faster FIOS speeds. The new standard router is up-to-date with 802.11n and should be able to take advantage of all but the fastest speed available. It doesn't offer one important feature that most other good wireless routers have (simultaneous dual-band operation), but other than that it's actually pretty decent. You can tell the new router by the red band (instead of silver) near the front, and it has two antennas.

If you have the old router, you can disable the wireless and set up a better wireless router (wired to the Verizon router).

Most FIOS setups can't get rid of the router because it's needed to convert the coax cable to a standard Ethernet cable. And if you have FIOS TV you have to use the router in your setup.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 20:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/21 3:19
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks MDM.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pulling the Cat-5e cable is simple enough. You can buy the tools to terminate and test the cables at Home Depot or from online supplies like Hill Electric.

I would recommend that maybe you pull the cables and then find some tech guy who for a few hours work, will terminate and test the cables for you. That way, you don't have to buy the tools you may only use once.

The hardwiring does make a difference. When I backup one computer to another, the hardwire runs about 3x faster than the sending files over the wireless.

Again... Verizon IMO, throttles back their wireless in order to lower the loads on their internet network. So you get a download speed of 15 MB.. but the wireless makes sure you will never get near that limit.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 18:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks MDM.

How about the hardwiring of your Blueray player?

I have a cheap Toshiba one and want to give it a shot even though I am not a geek. :)

Can you guide me please?

Thanks and good luck on your wireless efforts!

Posted on: 2012/7/16 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't done it myself yet.. but planning to since the wireless signal gets rather weak. I want to setup a wireless weather station (yeah.. I am a geek), but need a stronger wireless router.

Googling I found that using a whole new router with repeaters for the wireless (but not connecting to the internet) in conjunction with the Verizon router seemed to be the solution that worked for people.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 17:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Any network tech types know the details of the feasibility of splitting a 50/20 FIOS line among the tenant's of a small building?

1. Disable the wireless router that Verizon gave you. They limit the wireless speeds. I hardwired my Bluray player so I can get the better resolution from Netflix.

2. Buy a good router with repeaters. Put at least one repeater on each floor. Attach this router to the verizon router. Use the new router for your wireless needs.

Hmm...this is quite interesting.

Can you guide me on how to do it please? Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/7/16 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
But all your tenants phones, Ipads, and laptops run on wireless. I ran Cat-5 in most of my units. I think I am the only person who uses the hardwired ethernet connections.

Late last year we had some factory reps come in to where I work to showcase the next generation of building controls. It was 100% wireless. Basically, repeaters on each floor with all the thermostats, CO2 sensors, etc. powered by long-life battery or receiving power from a nearby transformer. In addition, our office is 100% wireless.. phones, printers, computers, everything. But the router was more expensive than your typical residential unit.

If you invest in some commercial grade wireless with repeaters, I bet that will pretty much meet your needs. Hopefully you won't get a tenant that will use the common access to hack into other tenant's computers.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Any network tech types know the details of the feasibility of splitting a 50/20 FIOS line among the tenant's of a small building?

1. Disable the wireless router that Verizon gave you. They limit the wireless speeds. I hardwired my Bluray player so I can get the better resolution from Netflix.

2. Buy a good router with repeaters. Put at least one repeater on each floor. Attach this router to the verizon router. Use the new router for your wireless needs.

I'm a customer of Comcast, I guess since before they gave out wireless routers. I've got a Linksys WRT54GL flashed with Tomato, pretty good router. But I would have thought CAT-5 to each unit would be the "right way". Anyhow, I've kinda given up for the moment on the plan, too much work and complication. Too many tenants want TV also to make it really economic.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 3:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what's the best deal for a new subscriber? I checked verizon's website, and triple play is $99.99 / month right now. I thought usually new subscribers get better deals than existing customers who are renewing?

I've had enough with comcast!!!

TIA!

Posted on: 2012/7/16 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 2012/7/15 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I had Verizon FIOS triple play for two years now. The price is going up.

Last week, they offered 89.99/month for two years.

This week, they are offering 74.99 for months 1-2, then 89.99 for months 3-12, then 104.99 for months 13-24.

What are they offering you to re-new?

Posted on: 2012/7/15 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Any network tech types know the details of the feasibility of splitting a 50/20 FIOS line among the tenant's of a small building? Assuming trying to do it wireless would be tough from the basement to the 4th floor, I'd just need a good router and to run CAT5 to all the units, right?

4 of my tenants could be interested in a deal, they're all young people who are not home glued to cable TV. The $164.95/mo split 4 or 5 ways would be great, even 3 ways would be a savings, and the bandwidth should be enough for everybody to stream simultaneously, no?

Posted on: 2011/6/21 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Catdog

Happened to me almost.
I asked to be connected to the Customer retention Dept.
They gave me an overseas customer rep. I insisted on being transferred to the Customer retention department immediately.
They did , and then I could negotiate.

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2011/6/20 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Holy crap, they've taken off the gloves to leverage you to use triple play. The triple is $85 with a 2 year contract, but if I want just 15/5 broadband they still want $75! I guess Comcrap keeps my business after all.

Edit: downgrading my service on CC to drop the economy cable svc and just have broadband, I found another "heads we win, tails you lose". My bill dropped from $62.52 to............$59.50!! Please God, I wish there was real competition to this rapacious duopoly.

Just renegotiated our triple play.
We installed it 01/2010. I was going to "disconnect" and they finally switched me to the "customer retention" dept.

I now have:
No contract

Free Multi room DVR for the lifetime of my service

We now have the 35/35 internet

2 phone numbers and all the phone features

HBO, MAX, SHOWTIME, EPIX, ENCORE etc and upgraded to the "ultimate with HD"

and pay about 109.99 before taxes and the fee for the 2 extra boxes (we have three boxes).

I'm happy
aw what the hell every time I've called up recently complaining about my bill and trying to negotiate with them and even threatened to switch to FIOS they're just like "eh whatever sorry we couldn't help."

Posted on: 2011/6/20 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Holy crap, they've taken off the gloves to leverage you to use triple play. The triple is $85 with a 2 year contract, but if I want just 15/5 broadband they still want $75! I guess Comcrap keeps my business after all.

Edit: downgrading my service on CC to drop the economy cable svc and just have broadband, I found another "heads we win, tails you lose". My bill dropped from $62.52 to............$59.50!! Please God, I wish there was real competition to this rapacious duopoly.

We installed it 01/2010. I was going to "disconnect" and they finally switched me to the "customer retention" dept.

I now have:
No contract

and pay about 109.99 before taxes and the fee for the 2 extra boxes (we have three boxes).

I'm happy

The message is they'll negotiate if you're all in, since they're betting on you getting hooked on fancy TV & on customer inertia to not change, but if you just want fast commodity broadband with no bells & whistles for a fair price, you got nothing. Studies show broadband prices have fallen worldwide....except in the US where they have gone up!

Posted on: 2011/6/20 16:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/9 2:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
yup, technically you're right on that one. The Daily Show records interlaced for example.

Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Scan type : Interlaced

Hah and I will give credit to marybarr, it looks like Comcast selectively broadcast some channels in 720p, Breakout Kings on A&E and Archer on FX is 1280x720..doh!

Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 59.940 fps

Posted on: 2011/6/18 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
No one broadcasts in 1080p. Only 1080i.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Well, that wasn't my experience but perhaps they have upgraded. My neighbor says he only gets 1080p sometimes so I will stick with FIOS. Also when we had a 42 inch we didn't notice as much, now with the 65 inch we really appreciate the signal. The prices are basically the same and I have the same internet speed so...I guess it's 6 of one, half a dozen of another.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 20:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/9 2:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
How do you figure that Comcast only broadcasts in 720P? My Windows Media Center gets full 1080p broadcasts and recordings on a CableCard from Comcast just fine. I've had FIOS in JC before and I didn't notice any noticeable change in picture quality or sound through my 52" 1080P LCD and 5.1 surround setup. I basically bailed on Comcast earlier and went to FIOS cause their HD lineup sucked. But when I moved I switched back to Comcast. Funny thing is since Comcast has expanded their HD channel lineup I actually get more HD channels that I like that FIOS doesn't have. Like IFC HD, Cartoon Network HD, G4HD, E!HD.

The only thing I will say that is better with FIOS was their internet package. Not because of speed necessarily but the bandwidth cap. Comcast caps you at 250gigs a month where with FIOS there was no cap.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
If you have a 1080p TV FIOS is for you. Comcast only broadcasts in 720p, which is still considered high definition. Also you need an HD cable box to get the full picture even with a 1080p TV. So if you don't have these, or something similar, you wouldn't notice the difference.

To get the optimum picture we have FIOS, a 1080p plasma TV, an HD DVR, and a PS3. For audiophiles we have Magnepan surround sound speakers, a B&W sub-woofer, and a NAD receiver.

The picture and sound are noticably better than Comcast, but I agree they have better customer service.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Ms_Taggart wrote:
Quote:

ErinMaiden wrote:
personally i don't see what the hoopla is w/ damn fios. i've had it about a year and really see no difference w/ this service and comcast.

the one thing i will say is that when comcast made times to come out and fix something they showed. Verizon today is a no show and they can't even tell me why. they have contact numbers incase of issues and they don't bother to call. so there's one day off of work for them and they blow you off.

i'm waiting for a return call and if i don't get it, its back to comcast.

+1 I fell for the marketing gimmick too. I've noticed no discernable improvement, but I have noticed the following negative features:

1) Comcast has better phone service (ability to check VM online, no need to dial "1")
2) Comcast has more intuitive guide navigation
3) Verizon internet service seems to blip more than comcast

I suppose I will wait 6 months to change back

1)You can check FIOS Vm online.
2)Agree, I like Comcast guide over FIOS
3)I had Comcast for 5 years. Service would go out at least 4 times a month.

and....Comcast customer service 10x better. Extremely difficult to get FIOS live person. Sticking with FIOS for now.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

I now have:
No contract

I'm happy

Posted on: 2011/6/17 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/6/17 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
One thing you may want to look at with your current stb, and the new one when you install it is your signal to noise ratios.

To enter the diagnostics mode, on the ftont panel hit power-select-select in quick succession and then go to the In-Band Status. There should be a SNR (two for DVRs) and listed as GOOD (~36-38 dB). If it's not, or you have high error counts, it's something with the connection, perhaps the cables or ONT.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Yupp.

Quote: