Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

Re: VERIZON FIOS
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/1 12:37
Group:
Registered Users
anyone in the area of 1st & monmouth know the status of fios on this block? have they run the wire? the verizon website says its not available, but i don't want to sign up with comcast only to find that fios will be available in the next month or so.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:
Anyone on this post currently signed onto and using Fios, if so, can you please provide the pros and cons to this new service ?

Thanks in Advance.

CK

Anyone have any luck downgrading their service from a triple play to a double play? Triple play = phone/internet/cable, double play = phone & Internet only.

If you are a new customer you can get the DP for $49.99 and i want to get that and get DirecTV for the TV service...

Sadly...No FIOS in my new apartment

Posted on: 2009/8/11 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
You will need to use their modem. What you connect the modem to is up to you.

What he said. You have to use Verizon's modem but then you can hook up your router to it, and you'll be good to go.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 10:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lil-puff wrote:
I am looking into replacing Comcast with Verizon Fios for internet and tv. Currently I have a powerful wireless router that allows me to to connect to the internet from any room in my apartment. My understanding is that I will need to use Verizon's wireless router if i switch to Fios. Does anyone have any experience with their router? Any idea what the range is? I have gotten conflicting responses from Verizon.

You will need to use their modem. What you connect the modem to is up to you.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 3:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/28 2:44
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am looking into replacing Comcast with Verizon Fios for internet and tv. Currently I have a powerful wireless router that allows me to to connect to the internet from any room in my apartment. My understanding is that I will need to use Verizon's wireless router if i switch to Fios. Does anyone have any experience with their router? Any idea what the range is? I have gotten conflicting responses from Verizon.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 2:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/7 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, you can just tell the installer when he shows up. He'll give you what you need and then change the bill accordingly.

The main box on my bill is 5.99. The smaller "dumb" version is 3.99.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 14:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anchovial wrote:
Pretty sure it's QAM out of the cable. I know for sure it doesn't work at all without a box on my older TV.

Ah k thanks... too bad. That means another remote control around. When I signed up there was a $6.99 set top box - is that the one you mean or is there a smaller/cheaper one not listed?

Mark.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 14:48
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pretty sure it's QAM out of the cable. I know for sure it doesn't work at all without a box on my older TV.

They do have the option of a very small converter box though. Comes with remote but there no channel guide. It's also a bit cheaper per month than the regular big box. I use it as the line in for my older SD Tivo.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
For me it's all moot, I'm Lefrak and they will not allow Verizon into rentals. THey kept out Comcast until a court order demanded they allow Comcast into 8 buildings.
New buildings are still screwed with a private sytem owned by the landlord.

VERIZION is NOT alllowed into ANY rentals. COMCAST is not allowed into some buildings.

If you want decent TV choices avoid Newport!

Posted on: 2009/8/2 23:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
I'm scheduled for a Thursday install and we just realized there's a small TV in the kitchen that we completely forgot about - anyone know what comes out of the cable without a box? Can I at least get basic cable type channels or is it just nothing? I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it's got a QAM tuner. Googling the question is giving mixed answers so I wondered if any locals had dealt with it. Thanks...

Mark.

Posted on: 2009/8/2 23:17
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Faster download/upload speeds are only relevant if you are using torrent streams a lot and I would bet you most here on jclist wouldn't know a torrent stream if it bit em in the butt!

I didn't say I'm in love w/Comcast in regards to many issues, such as "filtering traffic". However, it all depends on what you use the internet for as to how much download/upload speed you need. If as you say below you "..play games online, stream content to your TV or computer, or you're downloading torrents...", I agree that you need a bigger pipe for downloads. However, I also use VoIP, Lingo, which I've had since 2005 and no problems with upload speeds at all and @ 6MBPS, both upload and download, that may be little to you but it's all I need right now.

I do agree with you too about Comcast having 1984 tendencies particularly where the RIAA is concerned and giving up id's for their customers.

But you know, if I used a "filter" to decide which companies I use based on all the bad, "this sucks stuff" that ALL companies do, I wouldn't be able to use any of this stuff!

Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:

never mind that Comcast is still "filtering" traffic. If you use VOIP (other than what is provided by Comcast) play games online, stream content to your TV or computer, or you're downloading torrents Comcast deems that traffic to have less priority over it's networks, and puts a speed limit on those types of traffic. This practice is left over from when Comcast was illegally these types of traffic. They were sued and lost. They came up with this new idea, and say that they can tell the difference between torrent traffic, and anything else, and will only block torrent traffic. Comcast has not been able to and will never be able to tell the difference. To Comcast it just looks like someone is using a LOT of bandwidth and they will put a speed limit on your whole line.

Sorry but I would much rather be with a company that told the RIAA t 'F' off when they asked for user data based on IP's. I tell the Verizon guy in BJ's all the time that I would willingly pay any early disconnect fee to never have to deal/ talk to the water heads at Comcast again.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 20:58
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Using the CNET online bandwidth test, I average about 300-350kbps at home. I don't use torrents, but I use Youtube and I stream movies through my Roku box a lot and can only manage the lowest quality level... and half the time my OnDemand doesn't work either. I'm at the point where I don't care if the Verizon tech rips all the copper wire out of my walls when he's there - just leave the one to my TV.

For whatever reason (business customer I guess) I get about 2500-4000kbps at my store with Comcast... about 5 blocks from home... so I'm fine with them there.

Mark.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 20:29
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Faster download/upload speeds are only relevant if you are using torrent streams a lot and I would bet you most here on jclist wouldn't know a torrent stream if it bit em in the butt!

never mind that Comcast is still "filtering" traffic. If you use VOIP (other than what is provided by Comcast) play games online, stream content to your TV or computer, or you're downloading torrents Comcast deems that traffic to have less priority over it's networks, and puts a speed limit on those types of traffic. This practice is left over from when Comcast was illegally these types of traffic. They were sued and lost. They came up with this new idea, and say that they can tell the difference between torrent traffic, and anything else, and will only block torrent traffic. Comcast has not been able to and will never be able to tell the difference. To Comcast it just looks like someone is using a LOT of bandwidth and they will put a speed limit on your whole line.

Sorry but I would much rather be with a company that told the RIAA t 'F' off when they asked for user data based on IP's. I tell the Verizon guy in BJ's all the time that I would willingly pay any early disconnect fee to never have to deal/ talk to the water heads at Comcast again.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
Question for those who have had fios installed: Do they remove the copper drop line from the pole to your house or do you have the option of keeping it?

There's lots of complaints on different forums including, dslreports.com, that Verizon removes the copper drop line to your house, apt or condo, so if you later decide to go back to Comcast you have to pay a heavy installation charge to re-install.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 19:29
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
There must be several topic threads here about Verizon, as another I posted to, "Verizon FIOS vs Comcast" I'll share here.

I spoke at length to the Verizon technician working on 3rd street, tween Jersey Ave/Erie St and he said that 3rd Street would be finished in a week and we could order within 2 weeks. That was Tuesday, July 28th.

However, Comcast has been fine for me with consistent download speed of 6+MBPS and upload speed about the same, 6MBPS. I also have a package that I renew each 6 months that puts me with service costing less than $30/month for the above. I also have a digital tv package with Showtime, HBO and Starz and the entire package for both at less than $99 so I don't think Verizon can touch that!

Faster download/upload speeds are only relevant if you are using torrent streams a lot and I would bet you most here on jclist wouldn't know a torrent stream if it bit em in the butt! You need always to compare unit pricing per download MBPS , just as if you were shopping for grocs, to get the real cost you're paying.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 19:20
Resized Image

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
As of today Fios is finally available around 5th and Monmouth if anyone's interested. I'm set up to install next Thursday.

Mark.

Posted on: 2009/7/31 17:23
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the help.

They just started broadcasting in HD a couple of weeks ago, so I"m sure it will take time for carriers to pick it up.

Posted on: 2009/7/5 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
It's not HD on Comcast either!

Posted on: 2009/7/4 22:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, but it's one of the few channels that isn't in HD yet.

Posted on: 2009/7/4 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I have a question for anyone who has switched from Comcast to Fios. Do you get MSNBC?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Posted on: 2009/7/4 20:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just started today so I hadn't even heard about it. Seems decent. On par with any other local news stations I've seen. Looks like a couple of the same New Jersey shows from Comcast 8 (Steve Adubato, Caucus NJ).

Posted on: 2009/6/22 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone seen the FiOS1 New Jersey channel yet? How is it?

I have Comcast with no box, and they took away News12.

--------------------

Verizon launches long-awaited LI TV news channel

Verizon launched its long-awaited Long Island news channel Monday as part of an aggressive campaign in the Tri-State area to woo cable customers.

Verizon executives announced the debut of FiOS1 Long Island and FiOS1 New Jersey Monday, along with increased Internet connection speeds, noting that the channels will offer their viewers with news, weather reports as well as stories featuring local communities and "ordinary heroes" in those communities.

article

http://verizon.mediaseed.tv/Story.aspx?story=36772

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-r ... rizon-launches-fios1.html

Posted on: 2009/6/22 18:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/27 22:48
Group:
Registered Users
Just got FIOS last week...201 ST Pauls Ave
Love the svc, $30 cheaper per month thatn Comcast...about 50 more HD channels. I made a good choice.

Posted on: 2009/6/19 11:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
For those of you playing along at home with a map and a box of thumbtacks, I just got a notice that business fios is available at 240 Newark ave (at Coles) and their website confirms it.... I'm not sure if that translates to residential fios in the area as well though...

Mark.

Posted on: 2009/6/18 15:31
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/27 20:47
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
A few of us in my 4 story, 8 unit building have FIOS.

7th Street, between Eire and Manila. (I had it installed April 6th). I guess it's block by block and spotty at best.

I signed up for the triple play type package. internet is great - no problems whatsoever. TV excellent- has had consistent service, unlike Directv, which would lose a signal for hours and hours whenever there was a storm.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 17:50
KEEP YOUR WEEKEND Errand service
http://keepyourweekend.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

4bailey wrote:
Quote:

super_furry wrote:
...It seems to be available in most of the Hamilton Park area....

I keep trying the verzion availability web app, and it keeps telling me FIOS isn't available yet.

Just for tracking - are there any posters in Harsimus Cove eligible/installed as of today (early June?)?...

I checked just now for Fios, It is not avaiable for 8th street hamilton park.

Posted on: 2009/6/4 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

super_furry wrote:
...It seems to be available in most of the Hamilton Park area....

I keep trying the verzion availability web app, and it keeps telling me FIOS isn't available yet.

Just for tracking - are there any posters in Harsimus Cove eligible/installed as of today (early June?)?...

Posted on: 2009/6/4 17:27
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This week we finally got FIOS installed. See my posts earlier in this thread. The install took about 8 hours, and was well worth it! No more pokey DSL :)
Think about the wiring in advance. The ONT is not something you want in your living room. Better to have it placed in a basement or closet if that's an option.

I can't comment on FIOS TV, we just got the HSI.

It seems to be available in most of the Hamilton Park area.

Check availability at verizon.net/fios

Posted on: 2009/6/4 15:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm definitely switching as soon as I get an OK from the landlord. Anyone use bittorrent over it? Do they attemt to handycap (sandvine) it like comcast?

Posted on: 2009/5/28 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/5 14:56
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Adonis wrote: Quote:
thriftyT wrote: That's cheaper than Comcast, folks.
When you say it is cheaper how are you calculating that? I see Comcast offering 15Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload for $42.95 for month to month for current Comcast cable subscribers. You say Verizon costs $60.00 for similar, slower service without subscribing to their TV offering. Do you know how much it would be if you just got the $42.95 internet service from Comcast without cable service? Is it more than $18 additional per month when you don't get Comcast's cable TV service?
I got internet only from Comcast at $60/ month. Fios internet is $50/month. $50<$60. I never got 15 Mbps from Comcast. If you're currently deciding between Fios or Comcast, look carefully. Fios is probably cheaper and/or faster. Also, I'm not a videophile, but Fios' cable TV(I don't have it, but I've seen it at Friends and relatives) is NOTICEABLY more crisp and clear.

Posted on: 2009/5/28 15:31

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017