Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: The 111 1st street settlement
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/25 18:31
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
Irrespective of your views on the issue, I am still curious as to why we never heard ONE WORD about the fire there last Summer.
The city has had, I believe, nearly 9 months to investigate.

Who is supposed to answer this for you? The JJ fairy?

Why not go to the police department and file a FOIA to get a copy of the police report? That should give you an idea of the direction that the police went.

Or maybe there's a FOIA fairy that can do it for you.

Posted on: 2007/3/11 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Irrespective of your views on the issue, I am still curious as to why we never heard ONE WORD about the fire there last Summer.

See, notwithstanding emotions on the issue (which are high on all sides), this is one of those simple logical things that you just can't argue emotionally. WHY is it that we NEVER heard anything after the firetrucks went home that night?

Inquiring minds who live in the neighborhood would like to know. Personally, I'd prefer it if buildings in my neighborhood were not subject to 4 alarm fires; at the very least, I'd like to hear something about the cause. The city has had, I believe, nearly 9 months to investigate.

Posted on: 2007/3/11 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Better yet, let's talk about how the artists pressured the city to spend $30 million of YOUR money to take the building from Goldman by eminent domain.

Luckily Healy declined.

The artists lost the fight, and some are obviously still very bitter.

This guy slams the building, calling it a 2nd rate Koolhaus (sic! - spelling error) as an excuse to rant and ramble on.

Give it a rest. It's been covered a million times.

Jeeeeeez.

Posted on: 2007/3/11 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
OK, let's talk about mysterious fires and negligance on the part of the owner then.

Posted on: 2007/3/11 16:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/25 18:31
Group:
Banned
What a whiny, pedantic way to make a point...

Yeah, the architecture sucks. Yeah, the lawsuit was complete BS. If you'd like to make a point about the architecture and *moving forward*, make it.

If you'd like to live in the past and harp on how the city and culture was abused you're not going to make a constructive point about how to move forward and probably not going to be taken seriously.

Posted on: 2007/3/11 16:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
"billionaire owner Lloyd Goldman"

not to be picayune, but i think you should replace that "b" with an "m"

Posted on: 2007/3/11 14:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/29 10:29
Group:
Banned
bravo.

i do hope that you cc'ed this item to the jersey journal, the mayor and the city council!

Posted on: 2007/3/11 14:02

The 111 1st street settlement
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/19 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
A deal worked out by the Healy Administration and billionaire owner Lloyd Goldman contained the following: the creation of a special "residential zone" within the so-called Powerhouse Arts District, using spot zoning (a type of zoning that Mr. Goldman lamented in one of his lawsuits against the City). It will now entitle him to build whatever he wants on the 110 and 111 sites. The Healy administration rescinded (or gave up on trying to enforce) the 78 million dollars in fines that had accumulated on the 111 property presumably in exchange for Mr. Goldman dropping his 100 million dollar paper lawsuit. Mr. Goldman also paid the City the sum of 1.2 million dollars as a sop earmarked for the Jersey City Museum and the Loew's Theater.

World-renowned Dutch architect Rem Koolhaus recently made public his design for the 111 site. My initial reaction was that it's a welcome change from the uninspired corporate detritus now littering the downtown landscape. However, upon reflection it's 2nd rate Koolhaus. The design does not live up to the inspired architecture Mr. Koolhaus is noted for - especially his design for the Seattle Library, a masterpiece of contemporary architecture. I urge Mr. Koolhaus to go back to the drawing board and give it another go.

Recently, Mayor Healy presented a check for $330,000 in settlement money to the Jersey City Museum. While both the Museum and the Loew's Theater are worthy entities deserving of funding, accepting money from a source that evicted and brutalized the artist's community at 111 is tantamount to accepting Blood Money. It reminds me of an incident in the aftermath of 9/11 when an Arab prince gave Mayor Giuliani a check for 10 million dollars. A deluge of criticism erupted for accepting this kind of money from that kind of source. Mayor Giuliani returned the check. Memo to the Museum and the Loew's: what are you waiting for?

Mindful of "sour grapes", I can't help but think of what could have been. The 111 Artists Community had plans for the building that would have preserved it as affordable live/work studios with community outreach programs like guest artists-in-residence and art classes for local children and adults. We and our professional advisers were fully aware of the monetary and human costs involved in such a huge undertaking. We worked furiously to try to make it happen while fighting eviction daily, but were undermined when the Healy Administration turned its back on us. Doomed, we were eventually evicted, our hopes and plans demolished.

The City, and especially this administration, needs to ask itself if development promulgated in such a manner is truly healthy, with its primary goal of enriching the few. Untrammeled development driven by "Narcissistic Capitalism" will ultimately erode a city rather than enrich it. Development is "food" and should nurture accordingly. You are what you build.

William Rodwell
Former artist-in-residence

Posted on: 2007/3/11 13:44

Re: Million dollar settlement over 111 First Street to benefit arts - $330G goes to Museum
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
It's not the first time the museum has been the recipient of a "generous donation" from a developer. Whenever there is a controversial tax abatement or other project, it seems that the "donation to the museum" is the sweetener that the city makes the developer throw in. It was just more egregious in the case of 111.

The hilarious irony of it is that the Museum has asked the Conservancy to speak at it's afternoon speaker's series for seniors. The topic is....wait for it....the history of the warehouse district.

Posted on: 2007/2/23 18:28

Re: Million dollar settlement over 111 First Street to benefit arts - $330G goes to Museum
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/10/30 21:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

loucheNJ wrote:
Just a quick aside - anyone know why the JC Museum wasn't moved to the PAD when it left the library?

Many of us have probably taken effective listening techniques classes as part of some management development series. In JC the important course is effective seeing techniques. Ignore what they say, watch what they do.

Pretty sure it had to do with the gift, or cheap price of the building they are currently housed in.

Posted on: 2007/2/23 16:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/19 21:47
Group:
Registered Users
Just a quick aside - anyone know why the JC Museum wasn't moved to the PAD when it left the library?

Many of us have probably taken effective listening techniques classes as part of some management development series. In JC the important course is effective seeing techniques. Ignore what they say, watch what they do.

Posted on: 2007/2/23 16:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/10/30 21:29
Group:
Registered Users
Couldn't have said it better, JaneGeorge.

I take issue with the amount of contribution. The not for profit sector, and arts sector in general are riddled with less-than-actually-needed gifts. If you've ever worked one of these orgs, you'd see that $330,000 is actually chump change in the big picture.

For a developer reputed to be a billionaire or darn close, the city really dorked out by accepting a million as settlement. Who was the negotiator on that one?

Posted on: 2007/2/23 16:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/1/4 14:21
Group:
Registered Users
Given my opinions of politicians you can imagine my surprise when I learned of this presentation being a part of the program Linda and I were offering that afternoon. I remarked to Sandy that I appreciated the advance time to prepare for my meeting both Mayor Healy and Council President Vega. The last thing I wanted was to create a scene during this important time for Jersey City?s often financially neglected museum, which by the way of charter was founded to support and promote the Arts with-in the city. When I was introduced to City Council President Mariano Vega I courteously responded that when it comes to politicians I am from Missouri.

I know the 111 First Street scenario strikes hard at the community of artists that once occupied this beautiful building. I played at the Awareness Event held there a few years back. As a matter of fact I was singing Stephen Foster?s ?Hard Times? when Senator Menendez came by the studio in which we were performing, rather apropos I thought.

The reality that I witnessed during the presentation of this check to the museum was that of jubilation on the part of the trustees and staff of the museum. I know this is not the optimum solution to creating a vibrant art community in Jersey City but given the fact that the 111 building is lost permanently to the broad spectrum of art that once was represented there I certainly think it a step in the right direction insofar as the arts in Jersey City is concerned. I can only hope that the city council continues on the path, which of course remains to be seen.

I can say that Council President Mariano Vega stated to me personally that the city council is taking up the Cabaret Licensing Ordinances on the books with the goal of revamping them to foster more live music in the city. Again, as I am from Missouri as it relates to these types of statements from our politicians, I can only hope that he and the whole city council hold true to this statement and in fact revamp these archaic ordinances so as to foster a vibrant live music scene in the city.

As to Mayor Healy?s singing, his choice was fine with me but I would have much preferred to have had him belt out a great Republican song. Maybe one night in one of the pubs in town next month I?ll have the opportunity to raise a jar and song with him.

Peace,
Ed

Posted on: 2007/2/23 16:05
Traditional and Contemporary Irish Music

http://www.EdSaultz.com

P E A C E - People Everywhere Aspiring to Create Eden

A Smile - An Unspoken Expression of Love
A Tear - That of Compassion
An Outstretched Hand - Comfort

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/24 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
janegeorge makes a few very stable criticisms of the healey admin's policies _ especially the gutting of the arts district _ there goes another brick outta the wall...

no getting around it that a soho-like-living-zone is highly marketable. and funny how the art part is getting left out of the equation.

the city fathers see with such short vision. take for example their constant plying of abatements, and even more egregious their ok'ing of abatement renewals/extensions!

the value added aspect of a true arts district along with city parks such as the embankment, resv'r, and bergen arches is mind blowingly powerful for a respected and interesting city. these things exist NOW at least in their infancy. where is the city going to get more open space at a later date to meet, or at least come close _ get on the 'effin chart _ of national/federal standards for these important quality of life issues. where is the city going to get warehouse/studio soho-style buildings???! they're here NOW!

Posted on: 2007/2/18 22:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/3/23 1:19
Group:
Registered Users
Ahhhh, Jersey City.
Sure it's a good thing for the JC Museum and the Loews Theatre to receive funds, and if it is true that Rem Koolhaas is the architect for the new 111 Building, I believe that the city will be getting something worthwhile.
However, for Mayor Healy and Councilman Vega to suggest that 1 million dollars is a good deal for The City and for it's art community is a joke. Not only is the destruction of the warehouse a huge loss for the artist's as studios in a romantic setting, it is also a symbol of the essential abandonment of the Powerhouse Arts District. It sets a new standard and not a good one. This tells developers that the old warehouses that are neighbors to the powerhouse and which are supposed to be protected for the art community, are up for sale to anyone who wants to make a stink. Our city government has made way for the gutting of what could have been an unique and exciting arts center.
The money that is going to The Arts in Jersey City is just a smoke screen for the Mayor and Councilman to hide behind. To speak of themselves as promoters and supporters of the arts is a farce.
Once again the public of Jersey City looses.

Posted on: 2007/2/18 5:40

Million dollar settlement over 111 First Street to benefit arts - $330G goes to Museum
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Million dollars to benefit arts
$330G goes to Museum

Saturday, February 17, 2007
By ALI WINSTON
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The long-running saga of 111 First St. is drawing to a close, as Mayor Jerramiah Healy presented the Jersey City Museum with a check for $330,000 yesterday afternoon that is the first payment of a $1 million settlement over the former artist's enclave.

Lloyd Goldman, the head of BLDG Management and owner of 111 First St., reached an agreement with the city in June 2006 that allowed him to build high-rise residential towers on the site in exchange for 120 units of affordable housing for artists, gallery and retail space on the site. In addition, BLDG would contribute $1 million to the city for the "advancement of the arts" - the funding will be split evenly between the Museum and Loew's Theater, Corporation Counsel Bill Matsikoudis said.

Marion Grzesiak, the museum's director, accepted the check in front of a cheering crowd of seniors gathered for a concert of Irish folk music by Ed Saultz and Linda Hickman, part of the museum's "Afternoon Delight" program.

"For nonprofit institutions such as the Jersey City Museum, the big check is important to us, and this afternoon we're pleased to be accepting a very large one," said Grzesiak, who also took the opportunity to thank the board of trustees and her hard-working staff.

Mayor Healy, who belted out a rendition of "God Bless America" but begged off requests for Irish songs ("it not being the month of St. Patrick"), was pleased to hand over the long-awaited funds. "Anything that's worthwhile isn't free - it takes time and effort to build institutions, and I believe the city's funds are dedicated to a terrific place," he said.

City Council President Mariano Vega recounted the long history of the struggle between Goldman and the artists who resided at 111 First from the late 1990s to 2004. Vega lauded the persistence of the Healy administration in pressing BLDG for the funds, which will be paid out in two more installments of $330,000 once the site plan and building permit for 111 First St. are approved.

"This mayor is a steadfast supporter of the arts," Vega said. "Art is what humans give to each other - something for the soul."

Posted on: 2007/2/17 14:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017