Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
38 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 37

dr_nick_riviera, more...

Tags: ''  

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Zipcar in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Karin Price Miller is a terrific consumer reporter for NJ.com....

Great, thx.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/22 14:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Zip Car has been underperforming for the last year for me. I had also joined Enterprise as a lark, walking through Newport Mall. I quit them after I received a phone call saying the keys were not in a returned car. They were going to charge me for key replacement etc. 24 hours after I rented the car.

I walked back to the car it wss apparent it had been moved because of the crappy way it was pulled into the spot. I would not park a car so haphazardly. Took pictures / sent in photos... a day later after it was "investigated" it turned out a garage attendant took car out for a spin and the keys were found in that office. After their vmail, not even a returned phone call or apology for the crap they put me through and my time looking for keys that were not missing. Stay away from those people.

You did a good job getting it resolved. They should have given you credit for the aggravation. Perhaps contact corporate and complain.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 16:22
Group:
Registered Users
Zip Car has been underperforming for the last year for me. I had also joined Enterprise as a lark, walking through Newport Mall. I quit them after I received a phone call saying the keys were not in a returned car. They were going to charge me for key replacement etc. 24 hours after I rented the car.

I walked back to the car it wss apparent it had been moved because of the crappy way it was pulled into the spot. I would not park a car so haphazardly. Took pictures / sent in photos... a day later after it was "investigated" it turned out a garage attendant took car out for a spin and the keys were found in that office. After their vmail, not even a returned phone call or apology for the crap they put me through and my time looking for keys that were not missing. Stay away from those people.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 21:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Apologies in advance and sorry for the rant - I don’t know where else to ask. I want to know if I have any recourse for the following…

...In any event, any thoughts on what, if any recourse to take?

Karin Price Miller is a terrific consumer reporter for NJ.com. She writes a column titled "Bamboozled" where she chronicles consumer issues just like yours. Her team also investigates issues where consumers cannot get recourse from companies. It's a great resource and an interesting weekly read. Maybe she can help?

Latest Columns

Contact information:

Have you been Bamboozled? Reach Karin Price Mueller at Bamboozled@NJAdvanceMedia.com. Follow her on Twitter @KPMueller. Find Bamboozled on Facebook. Mueller is also the founder of NJMoneyHelp.com. Stay informed and sign up for NJMoneyHelp.com's weekly e-newsletter.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Apologies in advance and sorry for the rant - I don’t know where else to ask. I want to know if I have any recourse for the following…

I received notification a week or so ago from Zipcar that they paid a red light violation that occurred during my reservation 2.5 months ago. They included no details in the email or on their site except for the NYC violation number. The car was rented at LSP and the trip included Bklyn and Queens. The email also indicated that there are pending charges against my Zipcar account for $80.

I contacted Zipcar by email and phone to inquire about it. I received no response to my email. After a frustrating conversation with a CSR, I had a similarly frustrating conversation with a supervisor. I was told the ticket was $50 and the service charge was $30. In addition, I was told that if I paid the ticket on my own, there wouldn’t be a service charge. When I pointed out that I was given no notification or opportunity to pay the ticket, the supervisor seemingly shrugged his shoulders. When I asked for details regarding when and where the violation occurred, I was told to check with NYC. When I asked for a copy of the ticket, I was given an evasive answer, apparently since that was not in Zipcar’s script of how to respond. [After checking the ticket on the NYC site, it occurred in an area that I drove through in Queens.] When I asked to speak with someone higher up, I was told I had to leave a message.

That message was never returned. I left two messages on a recording at the NYC office, the office that oversees Jersey City. I left 2 messages with their headquarters in Boston. No messages were returned. I feel helpless.

As for the violation, it was either a mistake by the city or I am guilty and unknowingly ran a light. If anything, I am cautious to a fault when it comes to obeying traffic laws and driving safe. I haven’t gotten a ticket for 10+ years. If I had received the ticket directly, I assume I would have had an opportunity to fight it.

Still, I would suck it up and not fight the fine, but the $30 service charge irks me to no end. Then again, I’ve spent way too much time on this. It’s not the money at this point. Perhaps this is not the right term, but it seems I have no due course and have little choice but to accept Zipcar’s actions. Or, I can dispute the charge on my credit card and maybe win, but would probably lose my account with Zipcar.

If there was an alternative to Zipcar, I would drop them in a flash. Over the course of my 6-year membership, I have had my fights with them. The most egregious was when they suspended my account a few years ago due to damage to the car that they stated occurred during my rental. As it turned out, it occurred the day after my rental and someone hit the car while it was parked in the LSP lot.

Customer service is virtually non-existent. Up until a few years ago, I was able to call on the helpful manager of the NYC office to deal with their bureaucracy. He left the company and that is not the case any longer. After my suspension a few years ago, I found other ways to get around and have gone from using Zipcar weekly to once every few months or so.

In any event, any thoughts on what, if any recourse to take?

Posted on: 2016/10/2 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Agree with all the comments here. Actually appreciate these comments because I thought it was just me noticing changes. That BMW in Dixon Mills always seem to be available and plenty of cargo vans. I am on a monthly plan which I am seeing no value. I guess it is time to make a phone call to Zip to go back to occasional drive.
Thanks for the comments.

Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
I've been a Zipcar fanboy since they launched, and sing their praises often.

But lately I've found that Zipcars are becoming less and less available, especially on weekends (book way in advance, or prepare to drive a cargo van to the grocery store).

I'm also experiencing more hassles when I do get a car: parking key cards that don't work, cars with "check engine" light on, electric cars with zero charge left.

Zipcar was one of my biggest motivators to get rid of the car I only used a few times a month. The cost of even my highest monthly Zipcar usage usually came out to less than insurance/parking for my personal vehicle.

After several recent Zipcar standings (through my own lack of planning, or through Zipcar's increasing neglect of their fleet), I've begun to consider buying a car again.

If we want JC to have fewer cars, we've got to lobby for better infrastructure and car-owning-alternatives, like a car-sharing service we can truly count on.

Ditto. I went car-free and joined zipcar in 2011. I've noticed in the past few months that available cars are harder to find in the 07302 or 07310 zip codes, even on weekdays. Also, hourly rates are up. Also, "cheaper" cars are being replaced by luxury cars. Also, there are fewer of them. For instance, at Dixon Mills there were two cars there for years. The specific vehicles changed, but they were always of the economy variety (Kia Forte, etc.). Now they've cut it down just one car and it's a BMW SUV that commands a much higher hourly rate. The electric cars at Art House were the only cheaper cars within a reasonable walk to where I live. I can find some cars for a cheap rate in Hoboken, but that's a schlep just to pick up a car you need for an hour or three.

Please join me in submitting a comment/request to zipcar to stock our neighborhood with cheaper cars.

Posted on: 2016/4/3 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 4:46
From Chilltop, Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

But lately I've found that Zipcars are becoming less and less available, especially on weekends (book way in advance, or prepare to drive a cargo van to the grocery store).

I'm also experiencing more hassles when I do get a car: parking key cards that don't work, cars with "check engine" light on, electric cars with zero charge left.

Zipcar was one of my biggest motivators to get rid of the car I only used a few times a month. The cost of even my highest monthly Zipcar usage usually came out to less than insurance/parking for my personal vehicle.

After several recent Zipcar standings (through my own lack of planning, or through Zipcar's increasing neglect of their fleet), I've begun to consider buying a car again.

If we want JC to have fewer cars, we've got to lobby for better infrastructure and car-owning-alternatives, like a car-sharing service we can truly count on.

Ditto. I went car-free and joined zipcar in 2011. I've noticed in the past few months that available cars are harder to find in the 07302 or 07310 zip codes, even on weekdays. Also, hourly rates are up. Also, "cheaper" cars are being replaced by luxury cars. Also, there are fewer of them. For instance, at Dixon Mills there were two cars there for years. The specific vehicles changed, but they were always of the economy variety (Kia Forte, etc.). Now they've cut it down just one car and it's a BMW SUV that commands a much higher hourly rate. The electric cars at Art House were the only cheaper cars within a reasonable walk to where I live. I can find some cars for a cheap rate in Hoboken, but that's a schlep just to pick up a car you need for an hour or three.

Please join me in submitting a comment/request to zipcar to stock our neighborhood with cheaper cars.

Posted on: 2016/4/3 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/4/3 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
if you do have Zipcar, please log on or use the feedback tool on the app to request that electric cars return to DTJC.

thanks!

Posted on: 2016/4/1 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
I heard that Zip Electric cars on First Street are over - Not a reliable vendor for Shuster Development. They aren't saying who, but they're in negotiations to bring in a "better" electric car rental service.

The electric charging stations are still available for charging personal vehicles.

well now that's a drag. I do hope zipcar finds another place for their electrics, like maybe that section of the BJ's parking lot near the light rail. it's always empty over there.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes it was an odd deal over there... I was told that residents have priorities over the the cars and I believe I even had a reservation cancelled. It was some time back, Zip hooked me up with another car at the same rate so no problem. But for the little neighborhood trips, I do not need a Caddy or BMW.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
I heard that Zip Electric cars on First Street are over - Not a reliable vendor for Shuster Development. They aren't saying who, but they're in negotiations to bring in a "better" electric car rental service.

The electric charging stations are still available for charging personal vehicles.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
does anyone know what's going on with the electric Zipcars on 1st street, in the PAD?

the entire fleet of a half-dozen or so tiny ECO cars shows up on the app as perpetually unavailable (I haven't walked by to see if they're even still there)

a call and email to Zipcar yielded no answers.

I'll be miffed if they're gone for good. at under $10 an hour, they were a welcome addition to the service.

Posted on: 2016/4/1 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
[quote]
Write to a Zipcar bigwig. When I've had troubles with them before, a friendly-but-firm email to headquarters has resulted in free hours of driving credit.

Yesterday, before the situation was resolved, I spoke with the manager at their HQ office in Boston. I don't know if there's anyone higher up I can talk to, but I imagine there must be. While the manager expressed sympathy, he was full of excuses and, in the end, would not lift the suspension until "the investigation" was over. He made a remark that struck me and sez a whole lot about their philosophy... he said that they didn't have the resources to treat each case on an individual basis AND that there were too many problem customers. Translate = you're guilty until proven innocent and the customer is to be treated as the enemy. The other incidents I mentioned only confirm this mentality. The final insult was that voicemail. It was left by the clown in the insurance department w/o an apology. You would think the manager would be the one to call to apologize for such an egregious error.

As an aside, I was friendly with Brian, the manager at the NYC office which covers Jersey City. The office is across the street from where I work. He had some common sense and used to make things right. But he left the company.

I don't wanna switch to Hertz even if they have cars on Greene. It's a lot further than I have to go now to get a car. I do hope Hertz expands, though from other comments, they don't sound much better.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
To put a period on my latest zipcar saga, I rec'd a voicemail that they made a mistake and the accident was yesterday, not Sunday when I rented the car. No apology, no nothing.

I checked the Hertz site and called them. I didn't see any cars in Jersey City which they confirmed on the phone. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong division? I looked at Hertz on Demand.

Write to a Zipcar bigwig. When I've had troubles with them before, a friendly-but-firm email to headquarters has resulted in free hours of driving credit.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Harborside Financial Center HLE
135 Greene Street
Jersey City , New Jersey 07302
United States

Quote:

anonymess wrote:
To put a period on my latest zipcar saga, I rec'd a voicemail that they made a mistake and the accident was yesterday, not Sunday when I rented the car. No apology, no nothing.

I checked the Hertz site and called them. I didn't see any cars in Jersey City which they confirmed on the phone. Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong division? I looked at Hertz on Demand.

Posted on: 2014/7/10 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
I'll throw my two cents in, the dollar rent a car in Newport has great rates, great service clean cars and everyone there is friendly. Booking a car couldn't be easier as you don't need a credit card and if your plans change you can cancel the day before.

I think we're talking apples and oranges. I'm talking about renting by the hour. Generally, I rent for 1.5 hours for about $25. For the day during the week (7am - 7pm) it's about $65. Gas and insurance are included. It's more expensive than the regular rent a cars for a full day on weekends but not many places are open on Sundays which is when I rented the car last time.

Not for nothing, I generally use Enterprise when I need a car for more than a day. They're close to me and they'll also bring the car to you and have competitive rates. But I know of no other service like zipcar where you can rent by the hour.

Posted on: 2014/7/9 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/11 14:36
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'll throw my two cents in, the dollar rent a car in Newport has great rates, great service clean cars and everyone there is friendly. Booking a car couldn't be easier as you don't need a credit card and if your plans change you can cancel the day before.

Posted on: 2014/7/9 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/9 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Isn't there a Hertz in Paulus Hook, in the same building as Five Guys?

We are frequent renters, and generally either choose Hertz or Budget (by Grove PATH). Hertz tends to be cheaper, however, the Budget cars are much better. The budget cars are always almost new (once we rented a brand new car) and more recent, and very well maintained (clean, spotless every single time). The Hertz cars are older and not as clean - we've rented a car with spots all over the back seat. Perhaps that's why it's cheaper.

I used to be a regular customer of that Budget on 1st and Marin, but one incident really put me off:

I rented a car specifically to transport a friend's dog out to the suburbs. They knew this, and helped me find a model that would accommodate the crate, where the dog stayed for the entire journey. (The crate was on a beach towel.)

I returned a spotless car, but was told I would be charged a $250 cleaning fee for dog hair. I demanded they show me the hair in question, and the woman opened the door and pointed to - I am not joking - one lone orange hair, stuck to the door via static cling. It probably came off of my coat.

I brushed it off, but she insisted I drive the car to a gas station and vacuum it out, or get charged $250, and she was super-bitchy about it. (The car wasn't given to me in spotless condition, as it was wintertime, so the floor mats and rugs were completely salt-encrusted. I vacuumed that off, too, lest I get another fine for somebody else's mess.)

This after I'd been a regular customer for nearly a decade. I do appreciate that they keep their cars mostly clean, but this behavior was ridiculous and completely uncalled-for.

The Alamo on Montgomery has good cars and incredible customer service. They get all of my rental business now.

Posted on: 2014/7/9 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Today 12:25
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/7/9 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Isn't there a Hertz in Paulus Hook, in the same building as Five Guys?

We are frequent renters, and generally either choose Hertz or Budget (by Grove PATH). Hertz tends to be cheaper, however, the Budget cars are much better. The budget cars are always almost new (once we rented a brand new car) and more recent, and very well maintained (clean, spotless every single time). The Hertz cars are older and not as clean - we've rented a car with spots all over the back seat. Perhaps that's why it's cheaper.

Posted on: 2014/7/9 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just a followup. I spoke with their insurance division in Boston. A NJT car hit the zipcar while it was parked in the LSP lot. Apparently, it happened during my rental period. I rented it for the day but returned it a few hours early, so it probably happened during that window.

At first the zipcar agent said my account was suspended for not reporting the incident. Then when I told him I did not have the car any longer [OBVIOUSLY, since it was parked in their spot in the lot], he claimed it was for liability reasons.

Bottom line: they refuse to lift the suspension until they get a report from NJT.

Posted on: 2014/7/9 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My 3 love affair with them is over. Actually, I've had a few serious problems over the years. I rent weekly, sometimes twice. I'm a fairly frequent user.

I rented a car for the day on Sunday. Everything was fine except the remote door opener was nowhere to be found, no big deal. However, yesterday I received an email that my account was suspended and asking if I was responsible for the damage to the car. The car was fine when I dropped it off and as I said, there were no incidents let alone accidents. I have no idea what damage they're talking about and they wouldn't tell me. The email stated that it was their policy to suspend memberships until a resolution is made of all who used the car since the reporting of the damage. Now, I generally only do a quick look at the exterior before getting in, and I did so this time also. It;s possible I missed something, but I doubt it. Even so, I felt a suspension was unwarranted considering I have a good record.

The one tiny accident I was in a couple of years ago was reported immediately. They suspended my membership then too until I called and bitched.

Once, I changed credit cards and forgot to change it in my zipcar settings. As soon as I rec'd notice they couldn't process payment, I input a new card. But they took away my privileges to rent a car in advance without charging me immediately. And at that time, I had rented a car weekly for the upcoming 2 months as was my custom and they charged me immediately for every one of those rentals.

While they let some things slide, they can be very arbitrary about others. I'm tired of it.

I'd like to say f890 you to zipcar but I know of no alternative. It seems Hertz never came here to JC, or did they? I'm by Liberty State Park, so it would be a hassle to go to Hoboken for Hertz.

Any alternatives?

Posted on: 2014/7/9 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
I have been a regular user of ZIP and have been generally happy with it... cars range in style and are in good shape. Biggest problem I have is picking up cars on empty, make me nervous, but I just take time to fill them up. Pretty ggod deal all around.

definitely report empty tanks to zipcar. part of our membership agreement is returning the cars with no less than 1/4 tank. I hate to be a tattletale, but if members start to let stuff slip - returning cars filthy, empty, etc - it can all go downhill really fast.

Posted on: 2013/10/29 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have been a regular user of ZIP and have been generally happy with it... cars range in style and are in good shape. Biggest problem I have is picking up cars on empty, make me nervous, but I just take time to fill them up. Pretty ggod deal all around.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 23:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Not a huge fan of the Hertz offering. It certainly works as advertised, but there's a few too many extras that require up-charges (including using their EZ Pass, which is standard part of the Zipcar package).
Also, Zipcar has much more interesting and MUCH cleaner cars in their fleet (although I'd love to roll with a Fiat sometime). Their iPhone app is so much more functional, and customer service is definitely better (though that's usually one of the first things to go).
Also, its in Hoboken, which isn't a deal-breaker. But it is extra overhead on your overall trip.

That said, Hertz is cheaper. But for a reason, right?
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
I wanted to bump this topic up... what's the verdict on ZipCar these days in Jersey City? Has it improved any?

I know Hertz 24/7 or Connect by Hertz, whatever they call it, is also a formidable competitor to them (they actually look like a better deal) but they only appear to have locations in Hoboken.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 23:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
I still use Zipcar. Tough to get a last-minute car on the weekends, but they have added significantly to the local fleet, so if you book by like Thursday you'll be okay.

Thanks. That is good to hear.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I still use Zipcar. Tough to get a last-minute car on the weekends, but they have added significantly to the local fleet, so if you book by like Thursday you'll be okay.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Yesterday 23:55
Group:
Registered Users
I wanted to bump this topic up... what's the verdict on ZipCar these days in Jersey City? Has it improved any?

I know Hertz 24/7 or Connect by Hertz, whatever they call it, is also a formidable competitor to them (they actually look like a better deal) but they only appear to have locations in Hoboken.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 18:25

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017