Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: JC Heights - Safety?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
I live a few blocks from there and do my morning jog up Webster. Early in the morning I never have a problem. The only thing that makes me nervous, is that there is this young woman who has a pitbull mix dog that she walks every morning early, like 6:30 and it appears that she as little control over him. He is practically pulling her down the street and looks right at the people passing as if he wants to run over to them. It makes me VERY scared that some day she might lose her grip.

Other than that, it's just city life as usual. If it's late in any part of JC you have to watch your back when you are walking because the streets get pretty quiet. For this reason, I take cabs late night or walk with someone.

I've lived in this area for over 6 years and my biggest issues are dog poo, litter, and people driving like a-holes.

One thing that did happen that was scary was the day after hurricane Sandy some geniuses decided to blow up the atm outside the bodega on Webster and Franklin using fireworks. But, that's about as bad as it got.

In my honest opinion, it's safe.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 1:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 1:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

djha wrote:
Hi,

I am looking to move in JC Heights and thinking of buying a home on webster av between ferry and franklin st .
Any thoughts on how safe the area is? I have heard different versions about the safety of area.
Thanks for all the info.

I think you need to provide your baseline experience, where are you living now, and where have you lived? This is the city, and even the best neighborhoods won't make someone coming from a suburban gated community feel safe. I know that's an extreme example, but you know what I'm saying.

Oh, and don't expect consensus here! And do dig in the archives, there's plenty of discussion already on the topic, though you want an answer on that block specifically, which is fair. I've found using google advanced search set to search only here more productive than the JCL search field.

Thanks a lot for reply.
I used to stay on leonard st between summit and central av 3 years ago and found that area to be relatively safe and quiet.
I had searched on google and read through pretty much all the forums on this site and couldn't find any info regarding webster av between franklin and ferry st.
My main concern is the area safe to walk around in evenings and if there is anything else I need to worry about.
So was looking for more info from anyone living near by.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
I've been in the Heights for several years, but west of Pershing Field. I've never had any problems here and feel safe coming home, even when it fairly late (11PM). From my experience (also knock on wood), you don't have the same crime issue that other areas have (e.g.,shootings on every other block south of Montgomery on Bergen). You can check Spotcrime.com for details.
East of Pershing Field may be more block by block so you should walk around at different hours. Franklin can be noisy -- not sure if that's an issue for you. There's some garages on Franklin that tend to blast music, etc... I've heard more problems with Palisades Avenue, possible drug dealing, etc.. However, the area has a very good and very active Neighborhood Association - Riverview (Becky leads it). http://riverviewneighborhood.org/ and I have found these associations to be great. I would recommend checking when their next meeting or event is and then going and speaking to some of your potential neighbors. From our end, the Police are responsive so if you have problems they will respond. They also have a monthly Captains meeting in the school over on Beacon west of Kennedy -- I believe on Wednesdays at 7PM. Do a search on this site for Captain's meeting and you'll find it.
Finally, they have also just districted parts of the Heights (the area you mention is within the area, I believe) and they are encouraging artists and restaurants to come into the area, which most feel is a good think. They are also finally beginning to rebuild the "100 Steps" down to Hoboken, another good thing.
Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/8/3 23:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

djha wrote:
Hi,

I am looking to move in JC Heights and thinking of buying a home on webster av between ferry and franklin st .
Any thoughts on how safe the area is? I have heard different versions about the safety of area.
Thanks for all the info.

I think you need to provide your baseline experience, where are you living now, and where have you lived? This is the city, and even the best neighborhoods won't make someone coming from a suburban gated community feel safe. I know that's an extreme example, but you know what I'm saying.

Oh, and don't expect consensus here! And do dig in the archives, there's plenty of discussion already on the topic, though you want an answer on that block specifically, which is fair. I've found using google advanced search set to search only here more productive than the JCL search field.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 22:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 1:58
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,

Thanks for all the info.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Sateen, not sure how long you are around Jersey City, it was at one time in the 70's and 80's a very safe place....While the heights in not exactly ghetto, it does have much undesirables element that has moved in under the current administration..and yes folks like Healy and Gaughan need to be held accountable for the heights being the way it is today.

Posted on: 2009/3/23 21:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/30 18:45
From Downtown JC
Group:
Banned
You people are delusional. To say the heights was the safest place in Jersey City is like saying that sorting cocaine is safer than shooting it. Neither are safe. People think that the heights are ghetto because they are. When i tell older family members were I live they think I am going to get shot. MY grandmother and Grandfather actually got held up in Jersey City in the 70's. My grandfather was a cap and had a gun so the guy ran away but Jersey City has a few good parts and a lot of crappy parts.

South Central LA is full of families too but it's still dangerous.
Deal the Heights is ghetto. JSQ is ghetto. It just is. Eventually it will be gentrified and won't be ghetto but that is the price you will have to pay.

Think a bout Atlantic Avenue/Fulton Street in Brooklyn. I was FORBIDDEN from going to that LIRR station to see my bf when in like 1998. it was SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPer ghetto. now there is a mall and white people for miles.

I am not saying i want to live in an all white neighborhood. I like diversity. I didn't move to park slope b/c it was too damn white but you need to realize the world is racist. I hate the hipsters too(there are more down by where newark crosses 2nd which isnear where i live now and it sucks)

Posted on: 2009/3/23 19:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
You hit the nail right on the head.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
The Heights was at one time one of,if not the safest place to live. There were not drugs being sold, gang problems, violence ect. Central Ave was a nice shopping district, it had nice stores and shops. You could sit on a bench, enjoy a nice day, senior citizens felt safe. You even saw police walking the beat, your lucky if you see them even driving along Central Ave, Palisades Ave or Summit Ave, which are main Streets up the heights. To think, Healy, Gaughan, live up the heights and seem clueless and have done nothing to make it safe again. How does an area that was once a great area end up like this...answer....POOR LEADERSHIP!!!!! in City Hall.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 17:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/8 19:40
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

propscene wrote:
Oh gawd. Whatever!
(I lurv the madlibs thing. It's perfect).
I like the heights, I've been here a few years and stayed weekends here often even before that. My husband has lived here since 1992 or so. We're located right near Christ Hospital and I walk home from the Journal Square path station at all hours of the night and I've never had a problem. I run 8-10 miles almost every day, often as late as 11:00 pm either down Webster and into Union City/ Weehawken, down Baldwin and into Lincoln park via Vroom/JFK or down Newark and into Liberty State via Jersey Ave.

I've never felt unsafe here. We've never been broken into (knock on wood) and I've never been hassled. Occasionally teenagers will run up alongside me if they are egged on by their friends, but it's always done in jest and I end up trading jokes and barbs with them as they kick my old slow ass for a few blocks.

I do see some shady behavior here sometimes, possibly gang related, but it's contained and has never caused me to curtail my outside activities. Any bad apples are far outnumbered by the amount families I see walking around day and night. The heights has very much of a neighborhood feel. I don't see many yuppies, and even fewer hipsters (like, none) but I like that it's not "cool" or "hip" to live here. It's very real, working class, and as far as the rents staying low, well, good. It means the wonderful diversity (ethnic but also economic) and definite funk factor won't be leaving the heights any time soon.

I've spent more than half my life living in places where I wouldn't venture out the door past midnight by myself without extreme caution and some amount of foreboding. JC Heights has *not* been one of those places.

I agree and have stated the same on his forum before. I moved here from NYC in 1991 and here I still am in the Heights and I do appreciate the whole neighborhood factor and have no reason to feel unsafe. I can't understand why people state otherwise or why there is an impression that this is a bad neighborhood...

Posted on: 2009/3/22 12:35
www.ninasdogwalk.com

A positive attitude brings strength, energy and initiative.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
this takes the cake, lol you win. I almost spilled my OJ.

Quote:

petey8 wrote:
Mad Lib for "Will I be Maimed if I Move to the ______ Area of Jersey City?"

#1: Newbie, I have never lived in the _____ area, nor have I visited but I think ______________________________.

#2: Ooohh, Newbie, that area is very ______________. I have been living in JC since _____________ and have watched that area go from ____________ to _____________ in short time.

#3: I have been living there for the past ____________. Since then I have witnessed _______________ and consider my neighbors to be ________________. I get out of work at ______ and feel __________ walking home.

#4: Say, Newbie, why are you considering moving to ______ anyway? Have you looked into __________ or _______, which contain the 5 streets I consider worthy of consideration? In fact, I am not sure how these other areas were even included in JC, but if you are willing to _________ and ___________, I am sure you could find a more suitable place.

#5: Why is everyone picking on ___________? Safety in JC is basically a _______ by _______ thing. If you keep your __________ about you, no one will ________ you.

#6: As long as we are talking safety, let me add that ________ and ________ are the WORST neighborhoods in all of JC. I have never even been there--that's how bad those areas are!

Posted on: 2009/3/22 5:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/17 4:45
Group:
Registered Users
Oh gawd. Whatever!
(I lurv the madlibs thing. It's perfect).
I like the heights, I've been here a few years and stayed weekends here often even before that. My husband has lived here since 1992 or so. We're located right near Christ Hospital and I walk home from the Journal Square path station at all hours of the night and I've never had a problem. I run 8-10 miles almost every day, often as late as 11:00 pm either down Webster and into Union City/ Weehawken, down Baldwin and into Lincoln park via Vroom/JFK or down Newark and into Liberty State via Jersey Ave.

I've never felt unsafe here. We've never been broken into (knock on wood) and I've never been hassled. Occasionally teenagers will run up alongside me if they are egged on by their friends, but it's always done in jest and I end up trading jokes and barbs with them as they kick my old slow ass for a few blocks.

I do see some shady behavior here sometimes, possibly gang related, but it's contained and has never caused me to curtail my outside activities. Any bad apples are far outnumbered by the amount families I see walking around day and night. The heights has very much of a neighborhood feel. I don't see many yuppies, and even fewer hipsters (like, none) but I like that it's not "cool" or "hip" to live here. It's very real, working class, and as far as the rents staying low, well, good. It means the wonderful diversity (ethnic but also economic) and definite funk factor won't be leaving the heights any time soon.

I've spent more than half my life living in places where I wouldn't venture out the door past midnight by myself without extreme caution and some amount of foreboding. JC Heights has *not* been one of those places.

Posted on: 2008/3/12 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I agree Greenville, West Bergen, Bergen LaFayette are shitsville IMO. Little India is shitty too, but I don't think its dangerous - just dirty,

Let me guess you never been to 3 of the places you mention. When I lived in the heights I lived next to drug dealers (who still reside in the same area), my relatives had their cars broken in to several times, and there was a flurry of gang activity. Since I still go to the heights many times I know for a fact that the gangs are still there (and in bigger numbers), and also that the Jersey Journal still does not report many of the things that go down over there. When I live over there I remember the cops would raided the apartment next to me several times and it never got reported in the paper and many other things that happen over there would also never reported. Now that I live in Greenville the neighborhood I live in is MUCH safer and MUCH quieter than where I live in the heights! And I forgot to mention West Bergen in my experience is way safer then the Heights, not much ever goes down there.

Posted on: 2008/3/12 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Mad Lib for "Will I be Maimed if I Move to the ______ Area of Jersey City?"

#1: Newbie, I have never lived in the _____ area, nor have I visited but I think ______________________________.

#2: Ooohh, Newbie, that area is very ______________. I have been living in JC since _____________ and have watched that area go from ____________ to _____________ in short time.

#3: I have been living there for the past ____________. Since then I have witnessed _______________ and consider my neighbors to be ________________. I get out of work at ______ and feel __________ walking home.

#4: Say, Newbie, why are you considering moving to ______ anyway? Have you looked into __________ or _______, which contain the 5 streets I consider worthy of consideration? In fact, I am not sure how these other areas were even included in JC, but if you are willing to _________ and ___________, I am sure you could find a more suitable place.

#5: Why is everyone picking on ___________? Safety in JC is basically a _______ by _______ thing. If you keep your __________ about you, no one will ________ you.

#6: As long as we are talking safety, let me add that ________ and ________ are the WORST neighborhoods in all of JC. I have never even been there--that's how bad those areas are!

Posted on: 2008/3/12 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
little india is dirty in that newark ave between kennedy and tonnele gets alot of litter/ fruits/veggies on the ground... understandable due to the large number of people that live/work/shop there on any given day (as anyone whos driven thru at 8am or 5pm can attest to). i would say that most of the immediate vicinity of little india (like the 1-2 blocks north) are pretty clean for the most part though.. certainly no dirtier than most of the heights. i dont know if those surrounding blocks are also classified as little india, though, or just strictly newark ave

Posted on: 2008/3/11 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I agree Greenville, West Bergen, Bergen LaFayette are shitsville IMO. Little India is shitty too, but I don't think its dangerous - just dirty,

Posted on: 2008/3/11 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Gross. If the cops know that gangs are robbing illegal Mexican workers (who are otherwise law abiding), then the police should be out in force making sure that no one is robbed and locking up the gang members.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
i agree with many on this thread - the heights is fine right now. it's like any normal relatively urban sprawl.

as for those who say "it's worse now, and i've been here 20 years"... who cares. as far as now, it's fine. although i've polled my family, and i can't find a one that ever implies it was some sort of utopia that has gone downhill.

my wife and i have lived around Congress and New York for 2 1/2 years and love it. PM me if you want any specifics...

Posted on: 2008/3/11 16:56

Re: how dangerous is the heights?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Greenville is by far the worst !

Posted on: 2008/3/11 13:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/9/12 23:21
Group:
Registered Users
It isn't anymore dangerous than the back of hoboken (1 or 2 blocks from the projects) or most of downtown JC. JSQ is worse in my opinion. The robberies by the lightrail are mostly gangs robbing mexican workers coming home from work , who are usually illegal and dont go to the cops for obvious reasons. If you are half of man with minimal street smarts you will be fine. Make sure you have a car to get around.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
I don't know enough about the area to comment but did want to say that it's great that you are thinking about buying a place at such a young age! I wish I did it sooner myself. Good luck!!

Posted on: 2008/3/11 2:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/28 23:23
Group:
Registered Users
Post is sounding a bit like an echo chamber. I like urban horror stories as much as the next guy, but I humbly suggest that some of your received opinions are a tad hyperbolic.

Anyway, just returned from a walk to the video store on Central (it's around 10pm now), and didn't notice any bogeymen on the corner (I live off Pershing Field so covered the southern half of Central). I get home late as often as every other working stiff - either a walk home from Journal Square or take the 87 from Hoboken. The walking route goes through Central Avenue, the bus goes through Palisade. Happy to say no incidents since moving back here several years ago.

It ain't all peaches and cream; one does have to watch out and be alert, but certainly no more than the Jrnl Sqr area and less than other parts of JC. I would also suggest that the Heights' real battle is with getting the councilpeople to be more attentive to its neighborhood given the strides made lately with the parks and reservoir and the changing population.

This board is great for the variety of advice - some spot-on, others little more than hearsay. Do yourself a favor and contact one of the neighborhood associations for their take on the area. There are several in the Heights - Riverview Neighborhood Association; Sgt. Anthony's; Pershing Field Garden Friends; etc.

Cheers.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 2:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/21 2:29
Group:
Registered Users
I've owned my place on New York Ave between south and bowers for three years. I'm a petite woman and have never felt the area was dangerous. Of course you have to lock your doors (get proper locks please), not leave precious and expensive things in your car while its parked, and be aware of what's going on. I've never had a problem with theft. I have neighbors who sometimes leave their cars running and warming up on the street while they're inside their homes - I think they are nuts, but apparently they've never had any problems. I got an alarm with Brinks when I moved in out of paranoia and after 3 months it got unplugged because it was just silly. I love the heights, I know most of my neighbors on my block by name. I walk my dog at all hours of the day - even at night without hesitation. I feel you have to make an effort to know your neighbors and the shop owners in the area though. People in my building don't bother and they truly miss out. The light rail is nifty, but I use the bus service that runs along Palisade more. After 11pm I do take a cab from hoboken - costs 7 to 8 dollars.

Someone mentioned the bodega on Bowers and Webster - I don't frequent it much (usually go to the one on south and webster) but I've been meaning to pass by to see what was up with the owner if its true he's been locking up his doors out of fear. I know the restaurant next door Gabriella and the laundry place on Palisade keeps their doors open all day so maybe he's just spooked.

My only complaint about Webster between south and bowers is the bongos and crazy spanish music once the music gets warm. It's more of a comical complaint. Thankfully it doesn't go past 10pm at night.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
I can think of many other sections of JC that are much less safe than the heights. I've lived in JC all of my life and the heights is no more or less safe than many sections of downtown. I grew up in Journal Square and can tell you that parts of it are much worse than the heights. I don't think you can even group certain sections of the heights together.

I live on New York Ave near the Congress St Light Rail and find the neighborhood to be reasonably safe. You have to use your head no matter where you live if you plan on living in the city.

I would definitely drive around at night to get a better idea of what heighborhood looks like.

I don't know why I'm seeing repeated posts regarding "muggings" on the light rail elevator. There was 1 mugging on the JC side of the Congress St light rail elevator in the 2 years that I've lived here and it happened at 2am on a Sunday morning.

If posters are going to be sighting crimes in the "plural tense" they should attach the news article they're referring to .

Posted on: 2008/3/11 1:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/19 2:37
Group:
Registered Users
I live in the general area you are thinking of buying in. We rented for two years in the heights and have just bought recently. We love it very much...having said that...we got a security system and I don't walk around by myself after dark...I take a cab home from Hoboken. That may sound bad - but I do think the area is changing for the better and rapidly - however, it is not yet time for a young lady like me to be walking around at night. Take that for what you will. It is definitely a longer-term investment.

But we love our neighbors, the neighborhood and yada yada - but are muggings here and there near light rail and all. so, as long as you recognize this...that change has certainly not been completed around here...be alert and aware...then it's great...you are 10 min walk from Hoboken for a third of the price.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 0:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/24 1:03
Group:
Registered Users
palisades to the east and anywhere west of summit are really safe. Inbetween... well.. enough people commented on that.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 0:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/5 23:41
Group:
Registered Users
the same problems in the heights are the same problems you get in Hudson county. I think people are really painting a bad picture here.

I have been here for a few years and it has noticebly gotten better. The kids and young kids are causing problems in Hoboken and downtown JC as well. Reading the JJ is sobering, but the crimes are happening elsewhere too...not just the heights.

i'm kinda going in cirlces here, but I recall a heights thread that was recent and a lot more positive. Before moving here, I lived in Manhattan and Hoboken and didn't even know about the Heights. It definietly has improved and belive or not, I like it better than Hobo (not Manhattan).

Last thing...they are putting a NJ Transit busline on Palisades April 5th, so getting to the city will be easier, although it is still very easy and painless to get in without it.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Just be sure that the building has good security. Do not live in a ground floor or first floor apt. Make sure there's no easy way for people to break in and you'll be fine. On the street, you'll be fine too, as long as you don't look like a target.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
1) If cost is the reason you are considering heights. I suggest look into Journal Square, the area around st johns condo (225 saint pauls ave) north of JFK. Pretty safe area and short walk from path.

2) If you want to live in the heights for some other reason, look at around the doric building (100 manhattan ave), pretty safe area too.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 19:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/18 20:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not going to comment on safety factors, but I'm wondering why you have specifically targeted the Heights. Is it a matter of convenient proximity to where you work ,etc? If price is the main issue, get a list of all the units on the market within your price range. You'll be surprised to find that you're choices are not as limited as they seem.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 18:32
We are what we pretend to be. So we must be careful what we pretend to be - Vonnegut

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017