Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
73 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Van Vorst Park---Dog Run
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

parkman wrote:
The police just vacated the run of about 6 dogs and their owners. The dog owner community must police themselves and respect the rules of this park in order to make our new addition successful. No one wants to start an ?us against them? situation, we will all lose in the end.

It has taken years to make this run a reality, lets not screw it up now by being inconsiderate and selfish.

i just want to let everyone know that my dog is an angel!

Posted on: 2007/3/29 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Mr_X wrote:
Hello, I live right on the park. The dog park is right outside my window.

I've lived here for 4 years, and since they've put in the dog park, it has been a nightmare of barking and yelling nearly 24-7. I've lived with dogs all my life. I love them, but this is hell.

People are in there at all hours, until 1 or 2 am or later, and then again from 5 or so in the morning. They're there all hours, running around with their dogs. The dogs start barking. They get into fights and then the owners yell at the dogs.

They're even louder than the shakespeare people that use the place to practice their drama in the summer, but at least the shakespeare people have the decency to leave the park after 10pm.

How can this stop?
The park is supposed to close at 10pm.
We need our sleep.
We're going insane.

I called the police (547-5477) and asked them to send a cop over, but I hate to involve them in such low-level crimes. I know they hate dealing with this.

I asked the people who were there out past midnight to please keep it down or leave, but they seem not to care.

My neighbor suggested bb-guns and rat posion, but his wife thought lasers and high-frequency speakers might do the trick without jail time.

The dog owners can't be expected to resist the temptation of entering the gates, so what can be done to prevent it from happening or punishing those who do so?

Can we lock the gate after 10pm?
Can we fine people in there past 10pm?
Can we confiscate their dogs if they're in there past 10pm?
Can we do anything more than call 547-5477?

Suggestions, please...

what's interesting is that this guy comes out to yell at the dog owners if the dogs are barking, but when there was a very loud fistfight between who drunks the other night, he was not to be found and did not call the cops. While I feel his pain (and just to be clear - i am right near the park too and have been awoken early and on weekends due to the barking) his noise complaints are certianly geared towards a certain type of recipient. He doesn't call the cops on the loud cars, the crazies and the drug dealers. Just the dog owners.

Posted on: 2007/3/29 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

RABBITRABBIT wrote:

The library is right next door and has bathrooms (and books) for kids....

There's also a Diner and Beechwood and Sweet Priscilla's cafe just two blocks away in different directions

The library bathrooms are great, when the library is open, but it's closed after 5 p.m. on Saturdays and on Sundays.

Beechwood, Sweet Priscilla's and Subia's are all great options for adults, and I think even Bubby's might have a bathroom, but they're way too far away for children between "pullups" age and about 5 who say, "I have to go NOW." In that case, the current options are for the child to have an accident wherever the child happens to be standing, or to try to make discreet use of the bushes.

bubby's is no further from VVP than basic is from hamilton park. in a pinch you can always pop into the bar at Barrow and Mercer. they have two bathrooms.

Posted on: 2007/3/29 17:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/30 18:54
Group:
Banned
Everyone should make sure their dog behaves while in the park. Just like making sure your kids arn't too loud. Try living next to that dump of a park on Wayne St. Basketball at 5am!!! Its crazy, dealers yelling at all hours. The cops don't show up for that I can't believe they'll show up for the barking dogs.

Posted on: 2007/3/29 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kindelan wrote:
FAB, we're talking about the dog run in Van Vorst Park, not an open-air crack market.

People with money can have 'attitude' just like the rest of us scumbags!

Posted on: 2007/3/29 14:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Below is the city ordinance governing the hours of the park.

Even though it states that all activity should cease in the park after 10pm, in the 20 years I?ve been here, walking your dog on-leash and being able to transverse the park after those hours have never been an issue. Dogs barking in the run after 10pm does create an obvious issue for those living across the street.

I have ordered an additional sign (apparently the three already posted were not sufficient) that will be placed on the outside of the entrance gate to the run, clearly stating the hours of the park.

It?s amazing how difficult the simplest things can become.

Chapter 239 PARKS

? 239-15. Hours of operation; [Amended 4-28-1999 by Ord. No. 99-056]

A. Except for unusual and unforeseen emergencies, parks shall be open to the public every day of the year between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. daily. (J. Owen Grundy Park, however, is exempt from the 10:00 p.m. closing time.) The opening and closing hours for each individual park shall be posted therein for public information.

C. All activity is prohibited in the parks between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., except in the case of an exemption or special activity sponsored or approved by the City Council.

Posted on: 2007/3/29 14:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
FAB, we're talking about the dog run in Van Vorst Park, not an open-air crack market.

Posted on: 2007/3/29 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kindelan wrote:
A COMMUNITY ---is created by people talking to one another, not calling the cops at the drop of a hat. I think we should try telling people "Yo, keep it down" or "Dude, you know they're going to call the cops if you have your dog here at this time of night"

Always preface it with a 'Dude', or 'Excuse me" or 'Hey bro"

Here comes a rock through your window 'Dude / Bro / Bud / and excuse me'! Spend a hour in my neighborhood and if you stick your head out to correct someone politely, you'll lose it............I understand downtown is cultured, but good luck anyway!

What going to happen if the run is closed after 10pm and dogs still bark and gather outside the run but within the park area? This is going to be never ending pain in the ass for residents.......but I hope not.

THE DOG RUN IS CURSED

Posted on: 2007/3/29 14:30
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/6 20:58
Group:
Registered Users
Everybody who lives in the southwest corner of downtown (you know, the "bad" neighborhood near the Pathmark ) cuts through the park at all hours day & night on the way home from Grove St. and the PATH.

OK, so maybe the park is technically closed at 10 pm, but no one just strolling through on the way home has been bothered by the police since they're not "using" the park (i.e. to sleep in it), they're just quietly passing through.

Dog walkers have also always been in the park after 10 pm and have provided de facto security to those us of just passing through. Pre-dog run I never heard a complaint about them being there past closing time since I guess the dogs on-leash keep quieter.

Seems like the unfortunate by-product of the dog run is that dogs off-leash get more worked up playing with other dogs and tend to bark a lot.

If this continues to raise the ire of the Mr. X's on the perimeter, and the police continue to be called, the 10 pm park closing will eventually be enforced even for those of us just passing through on the way home.

If that were to happen, you better believe us tough-ass people in the Pathmark 'hood will be seriously pissed.

Posted on: 2007/3/29 14:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A COMMUNITY ---is created by people talking to one another, not calling the cops at the drop of a hat. I think we should try telling people "Yo, keep it down" or "Dude, you know they're going to call the cops if you have your dog here at this time of night"

Always preface it with a 'Dude', or 'Excuse me" or 'Hey bro"

I for one , do not want cops coming around the park all the time telling me to leave because it's 11:01PM. I don't like living in a police state.

Also, I want to say the Mr. X's situation is different, if you're home in your underwear you're not going to go out to yell at people in a public park. If he wants to just pick up the phone, I can understand that.

Posted on: 2007/3/29 14:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/4/24 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
To clarify, I do not condone the fantasies of my neighbors. I don't even really mind it all that much at 7pm at night. (I did hear that guy yell the other day, though, and I was in my kitchen at the rear of my apartment). A certain level of noise is the price I expect to pay for living in a major city AND having trees out my window.

I simply wish the people would not gather together and make loud noise every night at times when it is illegal to do so. There should be some quiet time.

I'd never ask the park itself to be closed/policed after 10, only the dog run. I don't even have a problem with people walking their dogs in the other parts of the park at night (on a leash). But when you let a dog loose, the dog will run, get into trouble, bark and be yelled at. It's inevitable.

Posted on: 2007/3/29 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
People are fine, its the individual ass-wipe that doesn't follow rules and authority. If joe-citizen tells or reminds one of these 'individuals' the rules, they are more then likely to get a 'fcuk-you' as a response............but good luck doing the 'soft' approach with the after hours dog issue. If it was me, I'd be on the phone to the cops and animal control if its crap not being picked up.

Posted on: 2007/3/29 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
We should call in the National Guard and they can just shoot all the people and all the dogs in the dog run after 10pm.

OR

We can just start by reminding people and making sure there is enough signage (did I really say that)? In life, I just have to believe that people like to do the right thing and chances are they are just unaware of the noise they are making and the fact that the run is closed after 10 pm. Unless they are a random gang of rebel dog owners who only come out late at night with no sense of law or human behavior or reason....in which case we can shoot them.

Posted on: 2007/3/29 13:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

Mr_X wrote:

How can this stop?

Why doesn't someone come and lock up the park at 11 p.m and open it at, say, 6 a.m.?

If the issue is the homeless people who live there, either leave one gate open for them or just tell them that, if they want to sleep there after 11 ap.m., they have to stay in the park till 6 a.m. Maybe put in a couple of emergency phones in the park so they can call the police if there are any problems.

Are you talking about the Dog-run or the whole park? THAT WOULD SUCK IF THEY LOCK THE PARK AT NIGHT.

Anyway, there aren't fences around it now, PLEASE PEOPLE LET'S KEEP IT THAT WAY!!!

If this dog-run and you inconsiderate dog-owners result in the park being closed late-night, prepare for the WRATH OF KINDELAN.

Sometimes, when I come home late at night, I enjoy a stroll through the park or even sit on the bench with my girl and talk, laugh and kiss, IF YOU YUPPY BASTARD, DOG-OWNING RETARDS make it so that a cop comes around and hassles me (or worse a closed gate) it is on and popping, just so you know.

I should not be prohibited from a quiet stroll or a tender moment because you treat your dogs like spoiled little children, WHICH THEY ARE NOT!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2007/3/29 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Is there a bulletin board near the entrance to the dog run? What about a photo 'shame' and 'fame' (dog of the month)section on that board.
The 'fame' photo could be any dog and owner that plays well with others or simply a dog who's owner that is doing a great job restraining a 'nutbag' dog.

The 'shame' photo is of an owner who REGULARLY flaunts the rules of not picking up after their dog, using the run after hours or allowing their dog to bark without 'checking' it. The photo should 'blot-out' the identity of the dog but not the offending owner.

The neighborhood watch group should look at ways to get voluntary compliance from users by peer group pressure.
I guess you can never stop an ass-hole who just doesn't give a siht!

Posted on: 2007/3/29 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:
The police just vacated the run of about 6 dogs and their owners. The dog owner community must police themselves and respect the rules of this park in order to make our new addition successful. No one wants to start an ?us against them? situation, we will all lose in the end.

It has taken years to make this run a reality, lets not screw it up now by being inconsiderate and selfish.

Amen!!

Posted on: 2007/3/29 10:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/24 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
small tangent...

anyone ever inform the wacky white dude with the two basset hounds to reel 'em in and give others some sidewalk?!

Posted on: 2007/3/29 5:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Mr_X wrote:

How can this stop?

Why doesn't someone come and lock up the park at 11 p.m and open it at, say, 6 a.m.?

If the issue is the homeless people who live there, either leave one gate open for them or just tell them that, if they want to sleep there after 11 ap.m., they have to stay in the park till 6 a.m. Maybe put in a couple of emergency phones in the park so they can call the police if there are any problems.

Posted on: 2007/3/29 5:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/3/29 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NONdowntown wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I was in the dog park the other day, at around 7pm, and there was a small dog yapping it's head off. Someone from across the street started screaming "SHUT UP" and it dawned on me then and there how annoying it must be to live across the street.

Mr X, you and your neighbors certainly didn't ask for this. It's got to be excruciating. I have a feeling that people just aren't aware of how loud it can be, especially at night.

The dog park is meant to close at 10, so if people are still there with their dogs, they need to leave. Go ahead, call the cops. The law is the law and someone's got to enforce it. You certainly don't have to make excuses for calling plus I'm not sure what other legal recourse you have. And maybe they can pick up some of the thugs who are lurking in the park then too. Kill two birds with one stone.

Speaking of kiliing....maybe not so much with the bb guns and the rat poison. I know you are kidding, but still.

In the meantime, I'll be sure to be more courteous and I will make sure my dog owner friends are too. Let's get it solved before the warm weather open-window season starts. You and the rest of Montgomery Street don't deserve to deal with this.

this infuriates me - dog ownership is not a right it is a privilege and a luxury, and dog-owners (i am one) need to be respectful of people - keep your dog on a six foot leash, clean up after them when they crap in public, and respect rules about the dog park. There is absolutely no reason that a dog should be allowed to bark its head off, regardless of the hour of the day or night.

then again, we are now in the era where parents feel entitled to allow thier children to be loud and disruptive and throw tantrums in public, because disciplining Kai and Turner might damage their fragile self-esteem...

Well put NON, that is the #1 problem in HP, a lot of the owners are the problem not their dogs!

Posted on: 2007/3/29 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/11 3:55
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I was in the dog park the other day, at around 7pm, and there was a small dog yapping it's head off. Someone from across the street started screaming "SHUT UP" and it dawned on me then and there how annoying it must be to live across the street.

Mr X, you and your neighbors certainly didn't ask for this. It's got to be excruciating. I have a feeling that people just aren't aware of how loud it can be, especially at night.

The dog park is meant to close at 10, so if people are still there with their dogs, they need to leave. Go ahead, call the cops. The law is the law and someone's got to enforce it. You certainly don't have to make excuses for calling plus I'm not sure what other legal recourse you have. And maybe they can pick up some of the thugs who are lurking in the park then too. Kill two birds with one stone.

Speaking of kiliing....maybe not so much with the bb guns and the rat poison. I know you are kidding, but still.

In the meantime, I'll be sure to be more courteous and I will make sure my dog owner friends are too. Let's get it solved before the warm weather open-window season starts. You and the rest of Montgomery Street don't deserve to deal with this.

this infuriates me - dog ownership is not a right it is a privilege and a luxury, and dog-owners (i am one) need to be respectful of people - keep your dog on a six foot leash, clean up after them when they crap in public, and respect rules about the dog park. There is absolutely no reason that a dog should be allowed to bark its head off, regardless of the hour of the day or night.

then again, we are now in the era where parents feel entitled to allow thier children to be loud and disruptive and throw tantrums in public, because disciplining Kai and Turner might damage their fragile self-esteem...

Posted on: 2007/3/29 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2007/3/29 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
If this is the case, then blame the owners and call the cops. I am sure parkman will support you claim - he lives there too. I wonder if there are timer locks, so that no-one has to physically open or lock them or start a roster system to lock and open?

Posted on: 2007/3/29 2:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/4/24 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Hello, I live right on the park. The dog park is right outside my window.

I've lived here for 4 years, and since they've put in the dog park, it has been a nightmare of barking and yelling nearly 24-7. I've lived with dogs all my life. I love them, but this is hell.

People are in there at all hours, until 1 or 2 am or later, and then again from 5 or so in the morning. They're there all hours, running around with their dogs. The dogs start barking. They get into fights and then the owners yell at the dogs.

They're even louder than the shakespeare people that use the place to practice their drama in the summer, but at least the shakespeare people have the decency to leave the park after 10pm.

How can this stop?
We need our sleep.
We're going insane.

I called the police (547-5477) and asked them to send a cop over, but I hate to involve them in such low-level crimes. I know they hate dealing with this.

I asked the people who were there out past midnight to please keep it down or leave, but they seem not to care.

My neighbor suggested bb-guns and rat posion, but his wife thought lasers and high-frequency speakers might do the trick without jail time.

The dog owners can't be expected to resist the temptation of entering the gates, so what can be done to prevent it from happening or punishing those who do so?

Can we lock the gate after 10pm?
Can we fine people in there past 10pm?
Can we confiscate their dogs if they're in there past 10pm?
Can we do anything more than call 547-5477?

Suggestions, please...

Posted on: 2007/3/29 1:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/30 18:54
Group:
Banned
I went to the dog run this past weekend and I want to say THANK YOU to everyone that made it hapen. Its verry nice I had a great time watching all the dogs play while mine just hid under my feet.
Thank You!!

Posted on: 2007/3/28 16:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/12 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:

Maybe the lavender and roses we?ll be planting on May 5th (want to help?) will divert your sensitive orifices from what dogs in great numbers tend to produce in an enclosed space.

I'd be interested in helping. You might want to call for volunteers in a new thread as this is pretty much buried in the BS.

Posted on: 2007/3/28 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Parkman -

I'm interested in helping with the plantings. What time on May 5? Do you need any help on weekends before then?

Thanks for all your work. I'll be dog-sitting soon and look forward to going to the run.

Posted on: 2007/3/28 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RABBITRABBIT wrote:

The library is right next door and has bathrooms (and books) for kids....

There's also a Diner and Beechwood and Sweet Priscilla's cafe just two blocks away in different directions

The library bathrooms are great, when the library is open, but it's closed after 5 p.m. on Saturdays and on Sundays.

Beechwood, Sweet Priscilla's and Subia's are all great options for adults, and I think even Bubby's might have a bathroom, but they're way too far away for children between "pullups" age and about 5 who say, "I have to go NOW." In that case, the current options are for the child to have an accident wherever the child happens to be standing, or to try to make discreet use of the bushes.

Posted on: 2007/3/28 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

parkman wrote:

dog run

One great thing about the dog run is that it's an attraction for small children. They can stand outside the fence and watch all the dogs without worrying about being licked or bowled over, and the parents can let the kids watch without worrying that the kids will harass the dogs.

The one thing I don't like is that VVP still doesn't have the equivalent of Basic at Hamilton Park: a small, family-friendly restaurant where small children can go to the bathroom in exchange for the parents buying a cup of coffee.

Another possibility: if those for-pay public bathroom kiosks work out in Manhattan, maybe someone could install one right outside the library.

The library is right next door and has bathrooms (and books) for kids.

There's also a Diner and Beechwood and Sweet Pricilla's cafe just two blcoks away in differnt directions - so whichever way you are headed that's only one block less convenient than BASIC. And the Jersey City museum is close by too.

Take that Hamilton park, whatcya got?

Posted on: 2007/3/28 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

parkman wrote:

dog run

One great thing about the dog run is that it's an attraction for small children. They can stand outside the fence and watch all the dogs without worrying about being licked or bowled over, and the parents can let the kids watch without worrying that the kids will harass the dogs.

The one thing I don't like is that VVP still doesn't have the equivalent of Basic at Hamilton Park: a small, family-friendly restaurant where small children can go to the bathroom in exchange for the parents buying a cup of coffee.

Another possibility: if those for-pay public bathroom kiosks work out in Manhattan, maybe someone could install one right outside the library.

Posted on: 2007/3/28 14:47

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017