Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Van Vorst Park---You're on notice!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Kindelan wrote:
Quote:

NONdowntown wrote:
I think the dog run deserves a little time, after all the fence isn't complete yet, and keep in mind that there are plans for significant planting around the fence, so it will seem less obtrusive in a few years' time.

All in all i don't think it's too big for the space. Can't really build a functional dog run much smaller than that. And VVP has always been more of a Garden park than a toss-a-ball-around (GASP!) park, so i don't think it sacrifices much functionality to devote that much space for area that will attract people to the park.

Wait a second, there used to be picnic tables there. Where people could communicate face-to-face. But I guess the new residents prefer human interaction through a computer. OHHHHH SHHHHNAPPPP!!!!

Did you ever read the Onion article entitled something like "Sometimes I feel like I'm I the only one trying to gentrify this neighborhood" He talks about how residents are always outside congregating and he doesn't like that.

If by "people could communicate face-to-face" you meant people could be homeless together, or junkies could dump needles there, or thuggy teenagers could have sex there, or then yes, I suppose it is a loss.

But it's a loss I can live with.

Posted on: 2007/2/8 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
The signs outside the run explain that the run is not complete yet.

When the dividing fence between the large and small run are in place, then I?ll start to hear how small each area is, not that the run is too big for the park.

We have three benches, two waste stations, and landscaping around the perimeter fence yet to be installed.

The two picnic tables that were once dominated by dog owners will be placed in areas, by early spring, that are more conducive to conversation and picnicking.

As far as the overall size, the community was given the choice to have either no run at all, a large run, or a smaller sized area; the overwhelming vote (85%) choose the larger size and that is what the plans were drawn up against.

And NOW you complain.

We?re not going to make everyone happy but I think in the end, this will be a great addition if people get involved in its care and maintenance and respect the rest of the park.

Posted on: 2007/2/8 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kindelan wrote:
My question is only referring to the aesthetics of the thing. Does it look too big? Does it seem to flow with the rest of the park? Does it seem like it belongs there?

As NON and others have mentioned, the d@mn thing is half done, NO LANDSCAPING, it?s the height of winter (everything is gray, brown and frozen), and we?re ready to pass an aesthetic judgment???..

Does it look likes it belongs there?...

It?s the shock-of-the-new. Think of something else you?re accustomed to seeing in VVP (that I?ve written about before) ? the children?s sliding board area. It?s a fake plastic, ?McDonaldland? tree house in what?s supposed to be a historic park. You just take it for granted. If the landscaping around the dog-run is done well, I?d wager the end product will look a lot more ?integrated? than McDonaldland.

Quote:
romero wrote:
...Brides and their grooms will not have their pictures taken with that in the background...

We don?t know what the end landscaping will look like (parkman?). I threw out the idea of using lavender as a border. This is just an idea, so bear with me, this isn't a "definte", just a possibility. For the sake of argument, imagine that you plant a lavender border along the front (south-facing) fence broken up by the entrance. You?d basically have a diagonal line of purple blossoms 4 ft high running the length of a ?spoke?. Sounds like an appealing wedding photo background to me.

Quote:
Jangie wrote:
? Aesthetically speaking, I find that having the dogs and their fecal matter separated from the rest of the park outweigh any (none, in my opinion) negative aesthetic impact it has on the park?

I think we?re in agreement in principle, but (I know I?m a ?broken record? on this point) the primary purpose of the dog-run is OFF-LEASH activity. Dogs can still legally poop on the lawns that aren?t designated as pet-free (and dog owners are legally obligated to pick up after them). As a dog owner, I take mine into a dog run after they?ve eliminated; can?t vouch for what others do.

Posted on: 2007/2/8 19:38
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/29 10:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
I was disappointed that they rejected Gehry's design, but what're ya gonna do? Koolhaas' dog run looks pretty good, anyway.

whatever.

architechs are not artists.

Posted on: 2007/2/8 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
I was disappointed that they rejected Gehry's design, but what're ya gonna do? Koolhaas' dog run looks pretty good, anyway.

Posted on: 2007/2/8 18:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for the thoughtful comments. Sincerely.

Posted on: 2007/2/8 18:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/10 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
As a non-dog owner who lives within a block of VVP, I prefer having the dog run to not. Aesthetically speaking, I find that having the dogs and their fecal matter separated from the rest of the park outweigh any (none, in my opinion) negative aesthetic impact it has on the park.

Being that much less likely to step in poo due to a lazy owner is a very good thing. Losing the picnic tables isn't that big of a deal to me. If losing the human interaction is that big of a deal, bring a tarp out and sit on the grass and relax with your fellow humans.

Posted on: 2007/2/8 18:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/4/25 14:08
Group:
Registered Users
Aesthetically, it does not improve the appearance. Photos for publicity or magazines won?t include it. Brides and their grooms will not have their pictures taken with that in the background. New home buyers will think twice before buying close to it.

Quote:

Kindelan wrote:
My question is only referring to the aesthetics of the thing. Does it look too big? Does it seem to flow with the rest of the park? Does it seem like it belongs there?

Posted on: 2007/2/8 18:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/24 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
I think the dog run is a good size for the park. Considering the amount of dogs in it when I have brought my dog there. The only thing that is going to make the place a canine excrement collection facility is the people walking there dogs on every inch of green space outside of the run and not cleaning it up. Compared to the run in WSP or madison park in the city, this one always seems to get just as much use, even though there are less people living around it.

Posted on: 2007/2/8 17:19

Van Vorst Park---Dog Run
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
First let me say that I am a dog lover. My girlfriend is also a dog lover who is currently mourning the loss of her beloved mutt. But we both think the dog run in VVP is WAY TOO BIG for the park that it occupies. The thing is about the same size as the one in Washington Square Park in the city but WSP is a much bigger park. You took out the nice grass and picnic tables to put in this monstrosity???

Don't get me wrong if the community wants a dog-run--fine but aesthetically doesn't everyone see that this dog run dominates terribly the space that it is in? I think it could have been about half the size.

WEBMASTER EDIT:
Subject edited from Van Vorst Park -- You are on Notice.

Subjects need to be focused on the main topic.

Posted on: 2007/2/8 16:59

Edited by Webmaster on 2007/2/11 10:14:26

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017