Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Developer Pay-to-Play Press Release- Steven Fulop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Somehow we [the Citizens] need to set up a mechanism whereby we can sue the city, city officials and perhaps developers when they knowingly ignore/break the law. That's the only way things are ever going to change. I will gladly donate to such a fund that would be run by one or several of the neighborhood organizations.

Posted on: 2007/1/3 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rtala34 wrote:
Great Idea, good and necessary legislation but good luck getting it passed.

I wish they passed this years ago in JC and Hobe.

To vote against such a measure would look bad but is there a way to kill this bill short of a vote, if so, that will be the out.

There is no other way to kill it.They will vote it down but they can't just stop it from coming up.

I can't wait for the totally absurd reasons each councilmen will give so as not to stop their cash flow.

There will be more stuttering,stammering statements than a soaking wet Ted Kennedy explaining his late night swim.

Posted on: 2007/1/3 19:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/3 21:24
From Wayne Street
Group:
Registered Users
Great Idea, good and necessary legislation but good luck getting it passed.

I wish they passed this years ago in JC and Hobe.

To vote against such a measure would look bad but is there a way to kill this bill short of a vote, if so, that will be the out.

Posted on: 2007/1/3 19:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/10/30 21:29
Group:
Registered Users
It certainly is, Mr. Fulop, let's hope.

When I brought up a developer running amok (in violation of a litany of zoning and general legal regulations) at our neighborhood meeting I was met with, "Oh, Billy!" I was basically asked to deliver a "hello" to the guy. Everyone knows council is in bed with the developers.

Zoning and Buildings should all be fired. Did all of you know that new construction is required to provide 60% greenspace? And that is due to environmental runoff considerations as well as beauty? Of course you didn't. Zoning never upholds it.

All I got out of my complaints to Buildings was a call ON MY CELLPHONE to request a review of my water heater. That's, right, the cellphone # came from my complaints about the developer. Buildings never called back about my concerns for the developer ripping down a house full of asbestos.

The unaccountability of these departments and their council lackeys is truly shocking.

Posted on: 2007/1/3 19:22

Developer Pay-to-Play Press Release- Steven Fulop
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
I am posting this press release on its own separate thread, as this is an important step forward for Jersey City.

This is a change that is in the best interest of everyone in Jersey City and as such I think it is very difficult to argue against. I am hopeful that it is something you will support to start 2007.

------------------------------------------------------
Jersey City Councilman Steven Fulop

For immediate release

January 03, 2007

COUNCILMAN FULOP PROPOSES DEVELOPER PAY-TO-PLAY REFORM INITIATIVE FOR JERSEY CITY Ordinance would expand pay-to-play ban to include developers who have engaged in the ?designated developer? redevelopment process

(JERSEY CITY) - Jersey City Councilman Fulop will present an ordinance at the January 10th meeting of the municipal council that would ban political contributions from developers who wish to do redevelopment within Jersey City from one year prior to the negotiations through the completion of the redevelopment agreement.

This model law was written by a team of top legal experts, and is advanced by the Citizens? Campaign. The City of Asbury Park was the first municipality to adopt this ordinance with similar ordinances being passed in Woodbridge, Edison, Belmar, Hightstown, Hamilton, West Windsor, the County of Mercer and currently under consideration in Newark. Upon approval, Jersey City would be the first in Hudson County to adopt such an ordinance and the largest city in the state.

"This ordinance should go a long way towards demonstrating to the public that political contributions and responsible government are happening in Jersey City independent of one another. Jersey City will be the largest city in the state adopting such substantial reform?
Councilman Fulop said.

Dan Levin, President of Civic JC a Non-Partisan community based initiative focused on positive policy initiatives supports this ordinance saying ?Upon adoption of this important ordinance, Jersey City municipal government will remove even the appearance of conflicting interests, re-affirming that the ballot box is the only proper instrument for influencing government.?

# # # # #

Councilman Fulop is the Ward "E" Councilman of the City of Jersey City

Civic JC is a non-partisan, community-based initiative, designed to promote a comprehensive, positive vision for the future of Jersey City as a ?World Class City?. Through the www.CivicJC.org informational portal, Civic JC provides information and policy initiatives designed to make Jersey City a world class place to live, work and visit. Civic JC expects to concentrate on efforts that will improve the transparency of decision making of Jersey City municipal government.

Posted on: 2007/1/3 18:44

Edited by StevenFulop on 2007/1/3 19:17:41

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017