Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 »

Re: An Open Letter to You, My PATH Nemesis
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RacerX wrote:
Yesterday...

Time: Morning rush hour
Train condition: Very overcrowded

Number of people physically pushing against me: 3
Number of those people with backpacks: 3
Average thickness of those backpacks: 9"
Number of those people holding the backpacks down at their side: 0
Number of those people that were wearing their backpacks: 3
Number of those people that were indian: 3

Racism has nothing to do with it.
It is simply data analysis.

The data is what the data is.

Number of people/pedestrains walking in the street instead of the on the sidewalk: many
number of Indians walking in said street: many
It is simply health insurance coverage data.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
I have no idea if it's true or not, but someone told me years ago that in the Japanese subways they had signs that read, in substance, "Don't be a rude American, take off your backpack in the train."

Posted on: 2008/8/14 17:25
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
jeezus, Justin. just ask them to take off their damn backpacks if they're bugging you so much. bitching about it on a bulletin board isn't going to give you any more room on the PATH.

it's not about being embarrassed or not. it's about them not knowing because nobody's speaking up.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kindelan wrote:
Quote:

sinik wrote:
What's the other half?

G.I. Joe never revealed that, but I would presume actual fighting would have to be a significant percentage.

Thanks for the reference. Being a relatively recent arrival, I missed out on that piece of Americana.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 16:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
.[/quote]

Did you ask them to remove the backpacks?

They were wrong for keeping them on, but instead of suffering the entire trip, just speak up and embarrass them.[/quote]

Some people can never be embarrassed. If that were the case, they'd be more concious of their smelly pits. Most will pretend they don't hear you, and you wind up looking like the intolerent ass...even if you can't breath because of the enormous backpack in your ribs. I wish we were more like London sometimes..."Stand to the Right, please." And, we can add, "Remove your backpacks, please." And, maybe even, "Buy some deodorant, please."

Posted on: 2008/8/14 16:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sinik wrote:
Quote:

Kindelan wrote:

I usually ride in the conductor area. It is my preferred area of standing. The trick is, you have to know which car you're on, as the conductors only use that space in the front and back of the train.

So now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

What's the other half?

G.I. Joe never revealed that, but I would presume actual fighting would have to be a significant percentage.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 15:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/31 19:15
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RacerX wrote:

Did you ask them to remove the backpacks?

They were wrong for keeping them on, but instead of suffering the entire trip, just speak up and embarrass them.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kindelan wrote:

I usually ride in the conductor area. It is my preferred area of standing. The trick is, you have to know which car you're on, as the conductors only use that space in the front and back of the train.

What's the other half?

Posted on: 2008/8/14 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kindelan wrote:

Shhhhhhhh!

Posted on: 2008/8/14 15:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
The other weekend I was headed into the city and saw a six person family - looked as though they were from the midwest (probably Ohio) - stand in the conductors area.

I have on numerous occasions seen the conductors ask people to remove themselves from that space - I thought as a courtesy I would make them aware that they might be asked to move and it might not be best place to stand - I was pretty friendly about it to. They got pissed at me!

The woman gave me a nasty look and said they have been riding in this spot all week and were never asked to move - I was like, 'What do I know, I have only been riding the PATH for years.'

To my chagrin the conductor never appeared - oh well - but two of their retarded children tried riding along without holding onto something - both fell into other people on the train - idiots.

How about doing me a favor and going home.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 14:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/24 17:50
From Morgan Lighthouse
Group:
Registered Users
Yesterday...

Time: Morning rush hour
Train condition: Very overcrowded

Posted on: 2008/8/14 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The other weekend I was headed into the city and saw a six person family - looked as though they were from the midwest (probably Ohio) - stand in the conductors area.

I have on numerous occasions seen the conductors ask people to remove themselves from that space - I thought as a courtesy I would make them aware that they might be asked to move and it might not be best place to stand - I was pretty friendly about it to. They got pissed at me!

The woman gave me a nasty look and said they have been riding in this spot all week and were never asked to move - I was like, 'What do I know, I have only been riding the PATH for years.'

To my chagrin the conductor never appeared - oh well - but two of their retarded children tried riding along without holding onto something - both fell into other people on the train - idiots.

How about doing me a favor and going home.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 16:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
To you, the monster-sized thug who physically plowed into me as I was walking through the turnstile at Grove Street this morning, where i had already paid the fare and had the right of way, I hope it was worth it to get to your crappy little job on time.

I know this post is futile because you probably don't know how to read, but if you can, know that you suck.

And I am going to look for you tomorrow.

You should be ready for these idiots, and when they invade your space jab them....good, preferably a good back kick. That'll fix their wagon or caboose.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
To you, the monster-sized thug who physically plowed into me as I was walking through the turnstile at Grove Street this morning, where i had already paid the fare and had the right of way, I hope it was worth it to get to your crappy little job on time.

I know this post is futile because you probably don't know how to read, but if you can, know that you suck.

And I am going to look for you tomorrow.

Posted on: 2008/8/4 13:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Now that the silly posts with the over-the-top racism satire are gone, the cold hard reality of what this is really about is sort of painful.

Key learning: you don't have to be a foreigner to be rude. Or ignorant. Or a dope.

Or smelly!

Posted on: 2008/7/31 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
it's actually not that hard to tap someone on the shoulder and say, "could you please take your backpack off? it's taking up a lot of space."

try it. you'll be surprised.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Now that the silly posts with the over-the-top racism satire are gone, the cold hard reality of what this is really about is sort of painful.

Key learning: you don't have to be a foreigner to be rude. Or ignorant. Or a dope.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 18:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/31 17:13
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Many of them are in I.T. and are required to carry a lap top computer back and forth to work, hence the big backpacks.

Now, let's get back on topic...

They may be required to carry their laptops home at night, but they are not required to be inconsiderate to the rest of us commuters. I also often bring my laptop home with me and carry it in a backpack, however, mine is always placed on the floor between my feet while riding the train. It's just rude not to have any consideration for other people when the trains are that crowded.

Posted on: 2008/7/31 18:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
I thought of this topic yesterday as I was on the 1 train heading up to the Westside during rush hour - a guy wearing a silly packback was pushing up against me. What is it with these silly silly middle aged men that wear thick stuffed packpacks?

Posted on: 2008/7/31 17:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/9 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RacerX wrote:
or...
You are one of the 10,000 indians that brings a backpack two feet thick to work every morning, and insists on wearing it on the train during rush hour, even though the train is already packed like sardines.

What the heck are you carrying every day?

Over the past few years, I have been working with many Indians from India.

Every single one I've met, has exhibited the same traits.

They are hard working, smart, calm, soft spoken,gentle, well mannered and practice good hygiene.

If everyone else here behaved the same way, we'd be much better off.

Many of them are in I.T. and are required to carry a lap top computer back and forth to work, hence the big backpacks.

Now, let's get back on topic...

Posted on: 2008/7/31 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

sumokitty wrote:
Quote:

grovester wrote:
I agree about the kids. When I was a kid, my parents always made me give my seat up to adults.

Ditto. My mom would yell at me for not getting up. Either the kid is small enough to sit on your lap or big enough to stand.

Also, I worked with an Indian immigrant who didn't wear deodorant and honestly had no idea that it was a problem. She was really embarrassed when her boss finally had to have a talk with her about it. So if the stink is really bugging you, say something -- the offender probably has no clue.

I work with a lot of Indians, and when one of them smells really bad repeatedly, I speak to one who I am friends with. He speaks to the manager of the smelly person, who explains the difference in culture here to his employee.

This has worked quite well, and has avoided seriously offending anyone. Obviously since I am making sure I am two levels removed from the actual discussion, I can't be sure. But I only do this when the smell is extremely bad.

Unbeliveable ! That we are having this topic of conversion. What our parents and grandparents must be thinking. To think what harassment our ancestors went through coming to our shores via Ellis Island, being treated like livestock for sale. They were checked for various diseases, scrutinized for ethics, knowledgeable in the American way of life. It just isn't fair to their memory. Some of these new immigrants just do want they want and not knowingly, ignorant to the fact. And they work for a salary beneath the norm. I said my peace.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sumokitty wrote:
Quote:

grovester wrote:
I agree about the kids. When I was a kid, my parents always made me give my seat up to adults.

Ditto. My mom would yell at me for not getting up. Either the kid is small enough to sit on your lap or big enough to stand.

Also, I worked with an Indian immigrant who didn't wear deodorant and honestly had no idea that it was a problem. She was really embarrassed when her boss finally had to have a talk with her about it. So if the stink is really bugging you, say something -- the offender probably has no clue.

I work with a lot of Indians, and when one of them smells really bad repeatedly, I speak to one who I am friends with. He speaks to the manager of the smelly person, who explains the difference in culture here to his employee.

This has worked quite well, and has avoided seriously offending anyone. Obviously since I am making sure I am two levels removed from the actual discussion, I can't be sure. But I only do this when the smell is extremely bad.

Posted on: 2008/7/29 23:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/11 2:13
From Grove St
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

grovester wrote:

Posted on: 2008/7/29 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RacerX wrote:
or...
You are one of the 10,000 indians that brings a backpack two feet thick to work every morning, and insists on wearing it on the train during rush hour, even though the train is already packed like sardines.

They don't know any better, maybe somebody should tell them teach them how to tie their shoes too.

Posted on: 2008/7/29 13:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/24 17:50
From Morgan Lighthouse
Group:
Registered Users
or...

Posted on: 2008/7/28 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
I agree about the kids. When I was a kid, my parents always made me give my seat up to adults. Now I'm an adult, and the kids always get the seats. Why, because they've had a hard day at work? And yes, I could understand the argument that it's dangerous for them to try to stand and balance on a moving train, but half the time they end up kneeling or standing on their seat anyway, so what's the difference? Why can't they sit on the parent's lap? Or, even worse, when the parent has an empty stroller blocking the aisle, but the kid can't sit in that, he has to sit in a seat so he has a good view?

And yes, I have seen families that have enough kids to take up the whole row of seats.

My other major pet peeve, if I haven't mentioned it here already, is people who sit on the stairs at Grove St. There's one stairway, and it's busy as it is. If you really need to sit, walk down to the benches or sit on the floor. If you do this, you're just plain arrogant.

Posted on: 2008/7/26 23:32
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/4 22:40
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:
to the guy who just had to sit with his knees three feet apart on the 33rd St train in the middle of rush hour this morning, I've got news:

it probably doesn't need THAT much breathing room.

Whenever that happens to me, I just turn to the guy and say: "Are you about to give birth? Do you need help?"

Bravo!!!! you both just made me laugh out loud

Posted on: 2008/7/26 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
If you read this thread, you will understand why nprosario needs to sit down so badly:

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=161139#forumpost161139

Posted on: 2008/7/25 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nprosario wrote:
Ok I might get creamed for this, but my biggest pet peave is when Im dog tired after a long day and I cant find a seat cause suzie q. citizen has brought her 5 babies aboard and they have taken all the seats. I love kids...I should since I have a few and a grandson, but this is a pet peave of mine.

Also I saw teddy the other day. OmG. He looked terrible. He had his hair long under a dirty cap, dirty sneakers, an oil stained paper bag and he was asking for money for food. He's really taken a turn for the worse. :(

Really? Children sitting is a pet peeve? That's kind of crazy. I'm the opposite. I am way more upset when I see children standing and it's totally dangerous yet the people sitting don't offer their sits to them. And seriously, I RARELY see as many as five kids with one woman these days unless it's a school trip or daycare... how often does this happen to you that it's a pet peeve?

Posted on: 2008/7/25 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
to the guy who just had to sit with his knees three feet apart on the 33rd St train in the middle of rush hour this morning, I've got news:

it probably doesn't need THAT much breathing room.

Whenever that happens to me, I just turn to the guy and say: "Are you about to give birth? Do you need help?"

Posted on: 2008/7/25 21:03

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017